Analogous Estimation vs. Parametric Estimation

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Cuiwen Kuai, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Cuiwen Kuai

Cuiwen Kuai Active Member

Hi Tim,

One more question for you:

In one of your projects, a team member, John, informs you that he works on user interface development, which is a very creative activity. He cannot estimate the time required to complete the activity. However, as a Project Manager, you need the activity's estimates. You decide to use the past data, i.e., the number of hours spent by him and the number of user interfaces designed by him in those hours. Which estimation technique are you using?
    A. Heuristics
    B. Analogous Estimation
    C. Parametric Estimation
    D. Three Point Estimation
    Correct Option: C

explanation:
    Parametric estimation is the technique of using a parameter to generate estimates. In this case, the Project Manager is using the parameter of the number of interfaces produced per hour to do the estimation. In order to know more about project estimation techniques like analogous estimation, please refer to Lesson 6 of Simplilearn PMP Preparation Course.

After reading the explanation, I still think the answer should be B (Analogous Estimation), as when read "You decide to use the past data, i.e., the number of hours ... in those hours." the content following "i.e." would be an example of the content before "i.e.", thus the key words should be "past data" in my opinion.
    Could you please advice?

P.S. some questions in Simulation Test 4 seemed out of the course outline and were a lot different than Test 1~3, and some explanations were confusing too.

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Hi, Cuiwen - this is a great (tricky) question. To decipher it, let's designate some informal definitions of Analogous and Parametric Estimates - Analogous uses history and Parametric uses history with math, or parameters.

An example of parameters is knowing how much time a km of road (our parameter in this example) takes to create, and extrapolating on that based on the required number of kms. "Based on history, we know it takes 10 days to create 1 km of road. This road requires 10 km, therefore should take ~ 100 days."

In the problem's example, you know how much time one interface requires and multiply that by number of interfaces. That's what we mean by a parameter - it's a link to your result from history, where you don't have a direct correlation for the specific number of interfaces.

response to your P.S. - the Exam Content Outline and the Code of Ethics are candidates for source material for the exam. The PMBOK Guide provides best practice, and the Exam Content Outline discusses the tasks a Project Manager generally performs (The role of the PM in Project Control). These two standpoints are not mutually exclusive; if you discover an item that creates contention between the PMBOK Guide and the Exam Content Outline, please bring it up and we'll analyze.

Also, similar questions may have the different answer for two major reasons - either the questions are a little different, focus on different aspects, or the provided solutions (answers) may limit the answer you are allowed to provide. It's not fair, but often you will be asked to select the best from a group of good answers, or the least offensive from a group of bad answers. I enjoy reviewing scenarios like this, so if you find such problems, again please post and we'll dissect together.

Keep digging through the material, this is exactly what you should be doing right now...

Cuiwen Kuai and Ashley_20 like this.
  3. Cuiwen Kuai

Cuiwen Kuai Active Member

Thanks a lot Tim, now I'm clearer on how tricky these questions can be, thank you for clarify it for me. And I finally got a chance to know what dummy questions look like, they are mainly questions from similar course, eg. agile

4. Priyamwada

Priyamwada Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support

Thank you for the confirmation Cuiwen!

Happy Learning!!
    Priyamwada Singh - Global Teaching Assistant

5. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Actually, you probably won't be able to identify the 'dummy' questions. In reality, they're real questions that are being placed through validation (real exams) in order to determine they're good candidates for exam evaluation use.

Current guidance on dummy questions is to treat all questions as real, and invest the proper 1.2 minutes - it will allow you to contain your pace and focus, and assist in a more consistent approach to the exam. If you are seeing agile questions, those may be referencing material based on the 6th edition of the PMBOK Guide, which is indeed covered in greater detail.