communications mgmt plan VS stakeholder engagement plan

Discussion in 'PMP' started by _30498, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

1. _30498

_30498 Active Member

I am confused by communications mgmt plan and stakeholder engagement plan. Need help to understand the difference between these two.
    it is related to Test #5 Q42

Thanks a lot!

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

The Communications Management Plan discusses 'how I intend to do and monitor (and change) communications. It includes information needs and expecations of stakeholders.

The Stakeholder Engagement Plan discusses 'how I intend to engage stakeholders', which includes their participation in requirements gathering, user acceptance testing, as well as information needs.

The question talks about "... information needs of the stakeholders ... and how they would be met..." The question is a communications question that discusses stakeholders, not a stakeholder question that discusses communications, so the Communications Management Plan is selected.
    In reality, both plans are integrated - it's one discussion. The PMBOK differentiates them so we can understand there are not only actions to be performed, but intentions behind those actions, which shape our decisions on projects.

These are 50-50 questions, and are notoriously tricky. Find as many as you can and work through them. Root Cause Analysis is often a good strategy, and if you find this kind of question tricky, consider marking them for review.

3. _30498

_30498 Active Member

thanks for your help!