Hi, I am unable to create a directory in webconsol...

Discussion in 'Big Data and Analytics' started by Venkata Sai Krishna M, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Venkata Sai Krishna M

Hi, I am unable to create a directory in webconsole in my login. please check and help on the below error.

mkdir: Permission denied: user=modala.vsk_gmail, access=WRITE, inode="/":aditisri03_gmail:supergroup:drwxr-xr-x

2. _6230

_6230 Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Look you dont have sufficient permission, please let us know where you are trying to create directory. If possible reply with hdfs command you are using.

Generally permission related issue occurs whenever you are trying to create directory either in root directory or folders belong to other user.

3. AnupriyaT

AnupriyaT Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Thanks Dilip for your inputs:)

Venkata Sai Krishna,
    Please find the reason for the above issue here:
    On Web console, you are within a Linux environment and a ‘/’ means the root directory in Linux. If you are trying to create a directory using the command : mkdir /simplilearn, you will not be able to create that, as you do not have the required permissions since we don't provide sudo/root user access to create a folder or to write in root level.
    Kindly remove the ‘/’ and use the following command structure to create a directory,
    mkdir <directory_name>
    Sample : mkdir simplilearn
    Note : "/" indicates root