How did a Certification turnaround your Career? Share and Inspire!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shruti, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Shruti

Shruti -

Howdy Folks? In today’s professional world, certifications not only add value to your resume but also set you apart from the crowd.
    • Did a certification or training change your professional life?
    • Did it help you overcome your career stagnation?
    • Were you recognized among your peers at your workplace?
    • Were you able to take home more than before?
    Share with us your promising professional journey and inspire.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Gregory Downes and Israr Ahmed like this.
  2. Gregory Downes

Alumni

Walking on Air

We are living in a very competitive and increasingly globalized world. Consequently, distinguishing yourself from others is key to success, marketability, and upward mobility. Certification, especially from credible organizations/institutions such as PMI, Scrum Alliance, Microsoft, SAP, Cisco, etc not only tells employers that you are capable and competent to execute the tasks/responsibilities associated with that certification, but also that you are serious about your own personal and professional development. That is, you are willing to invest the time and financial resources necessary to attain the credentials and by extension ensure your future professional growth and development. Companies such as Simplilearn of course play a very important part in that journey in providing the requisite training opportunities and educational resources in preparation for sitting certification exams.

My mother was a school principal, so I was raised with very high aspirations and expectations. The importance of education and learning new skills were inculcated in me from an early age. I got my masters degree at a very early age and was contented with that for many years. I contemplated going for a PhD, but really could not commit to such long period of study. However, I realized that in today's competitive world, while a masters degree seems to be necessary, it was not necessarily sufficient. As such, in the past few years I have acquired several certifications in my continued quest for additional skills. Most notable are the PMP (#2781191) from the PMI, the MPM (Master Project Manager from the AAPM (American Academy of Project Management), the CSM (#000383754) from Scrum Alliance, and the SSGB. Each certification opened new horizons for me. In addition to being promoted to Project Manager and subsequently a Senior Project Manager, which brought additional responsibilities and almost 20% salary increase, it bolster my confidence in my ability and competency. I witnessed an added level of respect by peers and senior management from having the new credentials, but also for the new expertise and knowledge I acquired which I began to implement in the execution of my responsibilities. The change in my performance by adopting the best practices learnt during the courses was immediate and noticeable throughout the organization, especially with respect to managing risk, managing communication, and managing people. I essentially became one of the "go to" persons for solutions to complex problems and was assigned to more high profile, complex projects within my company, including a project that covered 15 countries. I can honestly say that my input contributed to greater profits for the company and larger bonuses. My boss would normally say "the reward for good work is more work", so I became a relatively indispensable resource person. Therefore, I can unequivocally say that the pursuance of certification in various areas was an investment well worth the money, time, and effort. I look back at the sleepless nights in preparation for certification with much pride now because each exam was a testament to my determination to succeed and not accept the status quo. I have become a very strong advocate for certification and continue to encourage my colleagues to pursue such an approach. Further, given the excellent services provided by Simplilearn, I am equally a strong advocate for Simplilearn as the one stop shop for certification preparation training. They have an amazing team of professionals that go beyond what is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction and guarantee adequate preparation.

Another dimension of pursuing certification is that you become part of that fraternity. Since gaining PMP certification, I have benefited immensely from my association with PMI. In addition to access to insurmountable information, it has also provided me the opportunity to network with the more than 500k PMI credential holders around the world and benefit from information exchange, so there is ongoing professional growth. It has also given me the opportunity to volunteer on several initiatives, thereby broadening my skill set and giving back to the profession and mentoring others. I am currently involved in a Membership Retention Study, which has allowed me the opportunity to meet some exceptional project managers. Similar sentiments can be shared with respect to my association with Scrum Alliance where I continue to meet very knowledgeable professionals on an ongoing basis.

I have recently begun a new phase in my professional life. That is establishing my own project management and software development business. In talking with clients and possible business partners, character and expertise speak volumes. The certifications I have achieved add a level of comfort to my clients in that they see someone who has recognizable qualifications, who has also worked for reputable companies. Moreover, the certifications have added tremendous value to my resume. I have greater negotiating power and leverage when seeking professional opportunities. Consequently, I would posit that the certifications, especially the PMP which is a demonstration that I have met the rigorous requirements of formal education, recorded experience, and working knowledge, have propelled my career exponentially to new heights and have significantly improve the way I manage projects and interact with stakeholders. My future in terms of marketability is far more secure because of the certifications. Recruiters always say that I have an impressive resume and are eager to find opportunities for me. That is of course a big complement. I must hasten to say that they are still other certifications I intend to pursue in the near future. I am currently studying for the SAP BW/BI certification through Simplilearn and would undoubtedly continue to use Simplilearn as my education provider to prepare for exams. While I must confessed that the work is tedious, those guys are awesome and I am indeed learning quite a lot in the course!

So, to conclude I would say that certification has changed my career and life in the following ways: (1) improved my confidence as a result of the added knowledge and know-how; (2) increased my earning capacity and ability to command higher pay; (3) exponentially expanded my networking opportunities; (4) increased the attractiveness of my resume and sets me apart from others; (5) provided greater job opportunities and marketability; (6) improved my efficiency and visibility to senior management and peers; (7) assigned to more complex projects; (8) increased my productivity dramatically, and (9) kept my knowledge current and relevant. Certification is undeniably a function of my success to date.

Let's spread the good news regarding certification!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. Blakeyboy

Blakeyboy Member
    Alumni

I finished school at 17. At the time I was not sure where my life path would lead me - or in which direction I wanted to set the ball in motion. I never was much of a leader, rather, I enjoyed following and doing things based on other peoples suggestions and by comparing myself to others.
    End of my final year at school. Suddenly, I did not have the luxury of having decisions made for me or being pressured to perform to the required level/grades, or not having to worry about rent/food/bills. My parents were not wealthy, they could not support my higher education or living - nor did I ever expect them to. They had supported me for 17 years, I think it was time I gave them a break.

So there I was, working as a waiter in an Italian Restaurant. The nights were long and the pay was terrible. But it paid the bills. I still did not know what I wanted to make of my life, not because I had no goals or aspirations, the problem was I had too many goals and aspirations. How could I do everything I wanted to do? How could I become this great, awesome, successful person that would impact positively on the lives of others? How could I do that whilst also enjoy every minute of every day that I was working?

You know how there is something at the back of your mind from a young age? There is that one role or profession that you think to yourself, 'that is amazing, I wish and hope that one day I could do that everyday of my life'. Whether it be; Mechanic, Lawyer, Fireman/Policeman, Doctor, Maid or Stock Broker. I know people who have aspired to become professional gamblers (poker players) who have gone on to be successful (I enjoy a bit of gambling, but a) I wouldn't want to make a career out of it; and b) I would be broke in 3 days if I did try).

There are people that I had met along my journey who had told me about such dreams. They were making ends meet by sacrificing their love and enjoyment of life. Either they simply could not afford the education to make them dream a reality, or they were not academically at or above the level required by their dream, or their lifestyle and/or choices or physical limitations would not permit them to follow their dreams.

I had all those challenges, im sure 99% of the world has those. There is hundreds of other factors that also could be considered barriers to preventing us from doing what we love, but for the sake of time - I have used the three major ones that affected me, and am certain will affect most others as well.

I do not have the funds (or wealthy parents) to pay for my dreams. Enter Student Loan. All $100,000+ USD of it. It will take me 10+ years to pay it off, but that's 10+ years doing what I enjoy. I'd gladly take that as a tradeoff.

I was academically average. I studied to pass exams, not to ace them. My course required higher marks. Enter bridging courses and tutoring. My last year of school I would stay behind after class with students that were on detention (I myself was not on detention, honestly!). My teachers would allow me to sit in and do extra after school homework. Remember, I'm a follower. If other people are sitting there around me being forced to do extra work, I too will - even if I am there by personal choice.

I'm not terribly motivated to learn. Enter support from family and friends and 'how to study' courses. How could I do what I wanted to do if I wasn't willing to focus, avoid distractions and procrastinating. Positive support from family and peers is important. There are 'how to study courses' available, look them up. They are worth it.

And so of all the barriers that blocked my life journey to having a career I enjoy, the only one that remains is my student loan. Sure, I have an extremely large ball and chain around my ankle, but if that's what I need to live and work whilst not sacrificing my love and enjoyment of life, so be it. You only have one life, and money is just money. You cannot take money too your grave. Memories of a happy life last forever.

My study journey continues. I'm not content with being a part of the rat race. Sure I have a great career and no doubt will be happy and comfortable doing what I'm doing. But that's not enough. I've taken courses and done certificates that have advanced me beyond what my field requires. But thats still not enough. I want to help others achieve there dreams and goals. I hope to do some of these courses through Simplilearn, as they tie in nicely with my work schedule and can be done whilst I am 'on-the-go' (I travel allot)..

If you can change another persons life for the better, no doubt your time on earth has been worth it. Through knowledge and determination to succeed, you can make your dream a reality.

Overcome the barriers that may be preventing you from doing what you want to do. I did and I'm just your Average Joe. If Average Joe can do it, so can you. Gaining extra knowledge is an easy step, but one that will take you a great distance.

mlletech and Gregory Downes like this.
  4. Shruti

Shruti -

Blakeboy! Sometime people in your situation would eventually end up lacking motivation or focus. But you didn't give up! INDEED INSPIRING!

You mentioned that you took courses and certification beyond what your field demands for and also helped others achieving their goals. Would be worth knowing what certifications you have taken and how did you guided others to success!

5. Blakeyboy

Blakeyboy Member
    Alumni

Hi Shruti,

Sure, I will try and expand on that..

My chosen field in itself requires a lot of work. If you must know, I fly planes for a living (a pilot). I enjoy what I do, and I get great satisfaction from helping people get from one place to another many miles away. But (to me) that in itself is not rewarding enough.

I have completed certificates in SMS areas as well as a Safety coordinators Cert. Because of these I have gone from being 'just a pilot' to having other roles within my company as a senior person. Roles that make me responsible not only for the aircraft that I may be in charge of, but responsible for ensuring the entire operation is done safely and correctly. All of this accumulated experience is leading on to greater things..

There are many aircraft accidents that occur every year throughout the world. One aircraft accident is one too many. A very large number of these accidents could have been avoided had the proper safety precautions and procedures been followed. I hope to one day be able to perform quality audits on Airline Operations, as well as ongoing analysis of the Airline Industry. My goal is ensuring every team player is playing by the rules, at all levels of the airline operation. By doing these I hope to have a positive effect on the industry. Even by saving just one persons life, I feel I will have succeeded.

I hope to gain enough knowledge to be able to teach others or at the very least make them aware, and give them a safety orientated mindset. I believe this can be attained by having robust Quality management/assurance systems in place.

The next two courses in my quest to build a steady foundation of knowledge, would be a Lead Auditors course and the Lean Six Sigma. I have been trying to organize these course the last few months and have been saving up to fund them.

I enjoy technology, so perhaps I may also look at an IT related course/certificate in the near future. Who knows what the future may hold? One thing for certain is that Simplilearn is a great resource that will help make my dream a reality.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Shruti and Swetha like this.
  6. Gaurav Sharma

Gaurav Sharma New Member
    Alumni

I don't have a story to tell but a journey of learning that is 40+ certifications and still going strong for the last 9+ years and comprises of learning in various fields other than the technical and Management field as well that I am currently associated with. It started off about 8 years ago when I was first introduced to the world of certifications by one of my short term mentors. Having come from a background where only a full time engineering or MBA degree made sense, the world of certifications was new and challenging. The first few certifications were technical (sales related) and they did bring a turnaround in the overall personality and behaviour since for a fresh engineering graduate, having to know something beyond the old school Tanenbaum, for instance, in networks was a big achievement which 95% of my peers didn't and which put me in the driver's seat of my career right from the start.

Doing those 6-7 certifications in a span of 1 year did give me a rise monetarily as well as in the eyes of top management who started viewing me as a critical resource rather than a fresh graduate. The next phase was even more exiting wherein I became interested in certifications other than IT and went on to know about other aspects like quality management that did help me contribute to my work in a different way. Though I had to put in some extra hours and at times the regret did come when I was not able to enjoy like others on weekend, but all of it paid off when I had my first change with about 150% hike. All that was because of the extra certifications that put me in the place of a constant learner as well as a thinker who can make things happen and who is not afraid to learn. The next few certifications came as cross brand ones that essentially helped me perform my job better. The tally was about 25 and going strong with the learning curve not stopping. These also helped me to contribute up and above my job to two NGOs as well where this knowledge was shared.

Then came the decision of going the management way and got selected in one of the top 10 B-schools, SPJAIN Mumbai and believe it or not, atleast 2-3 eyebrows rose when they saw my certifications, not that they were planning to get some work out of me but that I am a constant learner and would be able to cope up with the rigorous pressure at the institute was evident from my learning curve. The journey never stopped there as well and I did some interesting cloud certifications to learn there and it did help me to land up a job in one of the top 4 MNCs in India with multiple offers in hand. The journey continued and I did some government as well as other proctored certifications in the field of law, marketing, psychology, ITSM etc and in a consulting, advisory field, its your breadth of knowledge coupled with the depth of expertise that matters when it comes to client interactions since you meet new people everyday and these certifications sure give you an edge over others, not in terms of knowledge only (that comes as a by product interestingly) but in terms of confidence and power to join dots and provide a holistic picture to your clients and to yourself as well. In a competitive world where business is getting integrated with IT everyday and all functions of an organization are coming together to stay relevant in the market, you never know with which arm of your client you would be dealing in the next second and hence to remain updated and relevant in the market is the least that you can do through these certifications.

At a juncture of life where after 10 years, traditionally it was the experience that mattered in the past generations, today it’s the relevance and how updated you are with the market that matters as it’s a pyramid base out there of professionals and to climb the ladder of success to a place up where space is less, these certifications sure act as the ladder's steps at times. My advice; never stop learning and you would see that other aspects like confidence and monetary benefits will surely accompany you where ever you work or even if you do your own business.

7. Chandra_Godhavary(9943)

Alumni

Hi Shruthi,
    How certification turnaround my career to a new height let me explain in a story with a personal shot.I have always been brutally honest. Completely transparent. Almost to a fault.

I graduated from college a little over 4 years ago and entered the corporate world. As you can see from my profile through LinkedIn http://in.linkedin.com/in/imchandusg.

I have always been very fortunate. Blessed with a lot. But raised in a very humble house where my parents struggled to make ends meet. Growing up I was considered "gifted" and excelled in school.I attribute this to always having an incredibly intense work ethic. It was how I was raised and I am thankful. I was told I could achieve anything if I put in the work.I was from a small farm village in East Godavari and quite sheltered. But I had always been fiercely independent. I never let somebody tell me I couldn't do something,If someone told me no, I always asked why.

Flash forward to present day:

I had been in corporate over 2 years and been very successful. I had a various companies head hunt me for a multiple roles. I had never done solely any role and I enjoy a challenge. For the first time at my age of 25 years,I was lacked by something in my career to move forward.I felt completely out of place.From that day, something was off.So I thought,"why not?" learnt from my mediocre experiences. It was clear right away that the person they hired was was not meant for the role they assigned me to.I thought I would be going into a training period and assigned a mentor. I was very forthright about my lack of experience before taking the role and I am not sure how wires were crossed. But I gave it my all. I worked as hard as I could every single day. I came to work with a smile on my face, ready to conquer the world. My activity was high. But what I was doing took time. Time they did not have to spend.This is the how some certifications changed completely, In order to start my career differently from there I am a data junkie,mathematician looking to do certifications in big data and analytics as an enthusiast for it, I am going to do many certifications in my area of specializations also I completed Google analytics certification and I am GAIQ certified partner managing my own blog and done a volunteer project in the women safety issues and going towards an entreprenural journey, certified in C language, Manual testing also.After doing all the certifications, lastly I say

It was exciting to be head hunted from corporate again, it was exciting to be wanted again, and it was exciting to try something new in career with certifications having lot of smiles.:):rolleyes:

Shubham_97 likes this.
  8. Shruti

Shruti -

It was nice to know how exciting your journey has been so far. Look forward to know more about how GA certification helped you in your career and where have you applied the same

9. Chandra_Godhavary(9943)

Alumni

Hi Shruthi,

The same I mentioned, from the last lines I will elaborate it.

I was a blogger,avid social net-worker and started my career working along with a entrepreneurial ideas.Now I was certified in Google analytic's and Google Ad words dated March 2015. More over to optimize my websites and track the content,data it was a perfect tool which is helpful in implementation with some advanced features handling in it.
    My career was boosted in such a way that to keep adorable journey in a straight path and stand being the one in the competitive environment.Everyone preaches "knowledge = acknowledgement", I say "knowledge + certified= simple learn", same is apt for the simplilearn community also i think:). Continuously working to acknowledge it to improve my career whether its individual business or in working environment.

Shruti likes this.
  10. atodd917(3792167)

atodd917(3792167) New Member
    Alumni

Taking back control of your life

Once upon a time, I was young and enthusiastic. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, I just knew that I had to work hard if I wanted to achieve something. I always thought that the most important thing was to show the people above me how hard I was working, and I was always thrilled when I was praised.

I was probably like that at school. Teacher's pet. Distraught if I didn't get top marks and 3 gold stars on every piece of homework. First to raise my hand to answer questions in class. It carried on into professional life.

I won awards. I won competitions. I was promoted into team leader roles, given bonuses and pay rises. I worked evenings and weekend, trying to impress.

And something changed. Older, wiser, perhaps more cynical, I started to notice all the people around me who didn't seem to try very hard but still got the same pay rise. The 1% pay rises that had seemed so important when I just started out, began to feel limiting. Where was I headed? 40 more years of breaking my back working for someone else? 40 more years of being treated the same as everyone else? 40 more years of being told what to do, where to do it, how to do it, when to go on holiday, trying hard to do a good job but unable to really influence the direction we took. Begging and pleading for training and desperately hunting for opportunities to work with new technologies.

My father had always said that it's much better to work for yourself. Could I do it? No chance. Surely you have to be a real genius to be able to succeed as a freelance consultant in the world of IT. Surely no-one would ever take me seriously as a self-employed business. Who would take the risk on agreeing to let me write the software they needed? No, it's out of the question.

Time passed. The same old nonsense of performance appraisals, lack of training, lack of freedom. If only I could take charge of my own career, I'd really do things differently. My enthusiasm had died. Hope had died. Youth was slipping away.

I read a wonderful book called Jupiter's Travels, the story of a man who decided to ditch normal life to ride a motorcycle around the world. My enthusiasm for work had been killed by the constraints of being an employee, a nameless cog in someone else's machine, but suddenly I had enthusiasm for something new: I would learn to ride a motorcycle and travel around the world.

It was a goal that suddenly gave me confidence to take the risk of becoming self-employed. I knew that to really stand a chance of riding a motorcycle around the world would mean becoming self-employed, to take control of my own career, to be able to do the training and make the plans that would lead to things happening on my schedule, not an employer's.

But what to do about my fear of not being taken seriously, of not being able to convince clients to pay me? Certification. There's the answer.

I started with Sun Certified Java Programmer for Java 5. A lot of people said certification was pointless, they said that only real experience counts, that you don't need to do certification to get experience, that it's just a multiple choice exam that anyone could pass.

I discovered something very different. You learn a lot more than you think you're going to. It may be a multiple choice test, but if you really want to be sure of passing it first time, then you have to study in depth. The syllabus will undoubtedly cover things you've never really used on the job, so you always learn something new. Even the bits you've done before, you learn in more depth.

And it does count. It counts because it makes you stand out from all the other people who don't have certification. It gives you credibility and it shows that you have made the effort, that you take it seriously.

I followed up with Sun certified web component developer, Sun certified business component developer, I updated to Java 6, Java 7. I did Object Management Group certification, I passed PMI certification, I did Scrum Master, Scrum Developer and Scrum Product Owner certifications. I certified in Scala, and I signed up for CSM and TOGAF certifications.

Every time I pass a certification I get a huge boost of personal satisfaction from the achievement, and pride at having put in the effort. It enhances my CV and it opens doors to new opportunities. It makes me stand out from the rest, and it gets me work, it gets my company new clients.

There's more. The feeling of pride and satisfaction makes you realise that you are now taking control of your own career, your own future. It's up to you to make the difference. It encouraged me to do other things, like releasing open-source software and contributing to other open-source projects. It influenced me to start a blog. Taking control, doing all the things that are important for your career that would never have happened if I'd stuck to just doing what employers wanted me to do.

With the confidence and the credibility that those early certifications gave me, I set up my own business, I became a freelance consultant, and I began to achieve the things I wanted to achieve. Including riding a motorcycle around the world.

I rode 20,000 miles through 21 countries in 6 months, and it was the most incredible experience. The trip of a lifetime.

I might never have done it if not for the confidence, the freedom, the opportunities that all began by committing to passing a Java certification.

And if I hadn't done it when I did, I might never have done it at all. Just a year after the trip, I was hit by a car at 40mph while cycling. I suffered a severe traumatic brain injury and very nearly didn't make it.

I was extremely lucky, and though I still have mental and physical difficulties years later, I am back to cycling and riding motorbikes, I'm still running my own business and I'm still studying for the certifications that represent taking control of my own career.

Take control of your career. Your life, your future.

Life is short. If you work to someone else's schedule you may never achieve the things you dream of, so put in your own hands. Get certified. It may seem like a small thing, but it can be a small thing that someone else doesn't have, and that makes you stand out. And it can lead to fulfilling your dreams.

PS
    The story of my motorcycle travels is at easyformoto.com
    You can learn more about me at about.me/alistairtodd

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  11. Subhomoy Chakraborty

Alumni

Hello Everyone,

I have been working as a project manager since a very long time. The concepts of project management, along with real life situations has taught me much and I manage an entire IT practice of a management Consulting firm. However, it is not possible for anyone to know everything about such a vast subject, so I connected with Simplilearn for PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner training.

At the outset this seemed to be difficult that with only four days classroom training, there was so much to cover. But that was the first look. As i inquired and read more about PRINCE2, I realized prior preparation was required. When I connected to simplilearn the training was 2 weeks away. I enrolled with them and they gave me the web access to start my preparation. I did take this very seriously and prepare for the course and the subsequent examination. This was a huge advantage to have the course material access before the class so I could do my homework before the actual training. During this period the simplilearn administrators and coordinators from sales team were perfect in handling my concerns. I realized this was not a sales team who sold and forgot their customers. I really appreciate that.

Subsequently I took the training and with ease cleared the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner examination. It was a smooth, issue free experience. The sales team, trainer, the location, training ambiance was perfect. Honestly at the start when I enrolled I did not expect it to be so smooth. Thanks to the entire team of Simplilearn for this.

This PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner training has assisted me in learning an alternative approach to PMBOK. It has immense value as these concepts can be applied both in professional and personal lives as well. This has and will continue to have a profound impact on my professional life, by moving up the ladder and avoid stagnation in a specific profile. At the same time allow me to use these skills to excel in organisational initiatives by achieving the expected results. This resulted better performance and better raise. Apart from the monetary impact, its the knowledge that has really assisted me in my approach at work. I can use these approaches and tools like a weapon in specific battle conditions.

Its been a very well connected smooth experience. I did a lot of hard work to get it honestly. However, I must also appreciate Simplilearn, who were a part of my success. I will be looking ahead to engage with them for further certifications like Six Sigma etc, and also recommend them for any upcoming corporate training within my organisation.

Shruti likes this.
  12. Shruti

Shruti -

Subhomoy - Thank you for believing in us. Its good to hear that we could smoothen your certification journey. I am curious to know , at a training level how did PRINCE2 certification helped you in your career? May be you can throw some light on what was it like before the certification and how did this course add value to your existing work/role.

13. Paul Farnsworth

Paul Farnsworth New Member
    Alumni

I got a lucky break 7 years ago through some connections to be able to get into manufacturing as a quality inspector running a CMM for an aerospace company. At the time, I really didn't know what I was going to do but as I had wanted to be an aerospace engineer since I was a child, I knew this would be a fun experience and a direction that I wanted to pursue. At the time, I was getting a drafting degree (AAS), and then I was going to get a Technology Management degree (BS). After about a year in the company, I started to get a vision of what I wanted to do and I became eager to get certifications in addition to my college studies. I first got certified in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for inspection purposes. This had an immediate impact on my career as I was an inspector. The next certification I got was as a Certified Quality Inspector (CQI) to learn more about the proper techniques to employ for sampling and error which was extremely critical in my position. Sometime in there, I knew if I wanted to go further with my career beyond inspector, I needed more certification. I began looking at Six Sigma training, Auditing, and Quality Engineering. I knew that the more I could get trained in those areas, the better chance I would have of advancing my career beyond inspection. My company at the time offered Six Sigma training, and truth be told, probably offered the Black Belt to too many of us, but I knew it is what I wanted and that I had a knack for statistics so I fought to get Six Sigma Black Belt training. I even had to overcome some lies from co-workers who, for some reason, did not want me to get this training. To this day, I'm not sure why they lied about me (they were calling me an intern because I was in college even though I was a full time employee and had signed a contract with the company to stay with the company after schooling was over in exchange for some tuition reimbursement), but it was clear that they did not want me to do this training. So, after fighting to get into the Six Sigma classes, we were able to perform our Six Sigma project and get our Black Belts. Unfortunately, inspection constraints made it difficult to perform more Six Sigma projects, but I still took some time to apply Lean principles when possible and try out different methods whenever possible.

As I was nearing graduation, and having Leaned my own process enough to cut down on reporting time (the savings was in the hours per job for just reporting alone), the company was forced to do some layoffs. As it appeared that many of the department were against me and the bosses needed to cut someone from the department, I was laid off. I only had the last semester to finish, however, so I focused on finishing school while sending my resume out far and wide to find that next step in my career. With degree in hand and a willing wife to allow my career to grow (she can get hired virtually anywhere), we moved out of state. At this point, my skills on the CMM were opening more doors than anything else, so I followed where those openings were available with the potential for growth and advancement, all the while looking at certifications and training that I could do to advance my career.

My next big opportunity was at a company where auditing was needed. With little experience, I volunteered to do the auditing of this company (we had both Aerospace and Nuclear at this company, so I got to audit two systems, not just one). After some time doing the auditing, I figured it was time to get my Certified Quality Auditor (CQA). After trying to approach this company about them helping me with certification and not getting responses, I knew that I needed to get my own certification even if they weren't willing to pay for it. As I was going through this process, the company had a major down turn on the aerospace side as we had put too many eggs in one basket and not diversified enough. I was laid off again, but now I had added my CQA to the mix of Six Sigma Black Belt (expired, but still extremely valuable to companies), GD&T, and CQI along with my Technology Management degree which is heavy in project management, lean, materials management, and safety training.

I knew it was time to make the jump to Quality Engineer. This became even more clear as I looked at job descriptions of a Quality Engineer and I met virtually every qualifications, save maybe for some industry specific knowledge and possibly a different degree than what I had. The certifications I had received got me into many doors from Chicago to Seattle as I looked for employment. For the first time, I didn't have to rely on the CMM to get me into doors, although I wasn't opposed to using the CMM as a bridge (I enjoy programming the CMM quite a bit) to opportunity. After many interviews and a couple of offers, I decided on a company that was established, but had never had Quality Engineers in the facility. I was teamed up with a more experienced Quality Engineer who was put in charge of the Quality Management System while I was put in charge of floor improvement. It has been a great experience to work with my co-worker as I am now fully able to use my training in Six Sigma, Auditing, Lean, etc. in a great job as a Quality Engineer. It is even more rewarding to use the knowledge gained through certification to help people improve in their own job satisfaction and to help guide them in their work.

I will continue to get certifications and training as I know it will continue to open doors for me and will add great value to me and my company.

Shruti likes this.
  14. Jean-Philippe Chenot

Alumni

My story started in 2005, shortly after my first son was born. Back then I used to be a general manager in a small neighborhood restaurant in West London. I decided that catering was not a long term solution for me so I decided to take up a programming course.
    I applied for a private course to retrain as a software developer by passing some Microsoft certifications (MCAD, MCSD). After almost 2 years I finally completed the course and became a software developer for a small local auto part manufacturing company.
    A few years later, I found myself working as a software developer for a slightly bigger company in central London. This is when I decided to take up a bachelor degree in Computing.
    Through this degree I have learned many new skills, including IT and project management. Things changed very quickly at work. I became first a project manager and got a PRINCE2 certification, and then a product manager and got a CSPO certification. This latter certification allows me to do my current job as a product owner for the new product that my company has acquired.
    I am now about to finish this 5 years bachelor degree and am being trained at work to become the next product director (or at least his assistant!).

Shruti likes this.
  15. Shruti

Shruti -

From GM in a restaurant to the next product manager and now would be product director sounds like an inspiration. Certificates and course trainings not only provides you learning and growth but also motivates to do more. isn't it?

I wish you all the good luck for your future Jean!

16. deveshk

deveshk Member

I also think that certification can make a huge difference in your career and life too.. In today's scenario the field of networking is on the boom and their certification are worth to do.You should go for certification exam, it is easy to crack and will make up your career beyond your expectations.

Cisco Video Network Devices

17. Ashly

Ashly New Member

Great idea and its really good post.Thank you for sharing