How difficult is PMP Exam

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Iqbal Sheikh, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Iqbal Sheikh

Iqbal Sheikh Member

I am going to take the PMP exam very soon.

I would like to know, what is the degree of difficulty of PMP Exam when compared with Study material such as Rita book.

Are the questions in PMP Exam harder than the questions in the study material or the same or easier?

2. Earlene Caban

Earlene Caban Member

The exam is not all that hard if you are well prepared. You can't just go in having read PMBOK once and think that you will pass though. And, if you are scoring so low on your simulated exams then that means you need to study more.

Here's my experience.

I passed my PMP exam! It was a great feeling to see the word “CONGRATULATIONS”, not to forget the 20-30 seconds delay in waiting for the result, looking at the blank screen. It was the result of four months hard work.

Following were my study materials
    Simplilearn Online course
    Attended almost all their online trainings
    Read Rita’s 6th edition once
    Read Rita’s 7th edition twice
    PMBOK had a glance

Attempted as many as 3000 test questions, fastrack, Simplilearn, PMZilla, oliverlehmann, and many more.
    Simplilearn new questions are very close to exam.

My Observations

I used to complete 200 questions simulation tests at an average of 2hrs, but in exam I took 3.5 hrs
    Taking up multiple mock tests helped especially the wordy ones
    Practicing to sit for 4 hrs and concentrate , helped in the exam
    Having a glance at PMBOK summary and glossary a day before the exam, was handy
    Understanding and remembering the process chart is of great value
    Given another chance, this is what I would do
    Better focus on studying Risk Management
    Focus more on ITTOS
    Not spend too much time on problems and formulas
    Stick to one study material along with PMBOK
    Not change the study material because of the change, as PMBOK is same

mlletech and LaVerne Sherwood like this.
  3. Gregory Downes

Alumni

The exam is not difficult if you are prepared and have an effective strategy. I would not repeat the very useful information provided above by Earlene. I would just add that you need to think like a PM in the exam, strenuously adhere to the PM Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, and don't panic. The questions are randomly generated, so the questions some one get are not necessarily the same questions you will get, hence the need to prepare thoroughly.

mlletech and Siddharth Sharma like this.
  4. Hayden Marks

Hayden Marks Member

If you have been actively managing projects for many years, you will likely encounter some similar situational questions that mirror your real life experience on the exam. This is a very good thing as it will allow you to fall back on your real life project management experience, rather than strictly adhering to what you read in the PMBOK. Not to downgrade the importance of PMBOK, but it's not as important as your real life experience on the job as a project manager when it comes to taking the test.

5. Jezzy

Jezzy Member

Most people who take the PMP exam say that it's one of the most difficult they've ever encountered, if only because the actual test differs so drastically from all the practice exams you take in preparation. You can study as hard as you like for this exam, but at some point you have to be ready to just buckle under and take the exam again if you fail the first time.

6. Bernhard Shem

Bernhard Shem Active Member

The PMP exam is not a very easy one and the harder you study now, the more pressure you put on yourself to learn the content, the easier the exam will be. Though as said before, having actual experience as a project manager will benefit you as you will have already seen many of these PMBOK concepts applied in real job scenarios.

mlletech likes this.
  7. Alok Singh_1

Alok Singh_1 Member
    Alumni

Thanks for the Tips. I am going to give PMP before 1st Nov'15. Preparing hard for the same.

8. LaVerne Sherwood

Hi Earlene,

I'd like to address something you said about if given a second chance. I don't know if you've had a chance to take the Simplilearn training, but it really is worthwhile, especially the video tutorials. Very good for a visual learner, such as myself who likes seeing things illustrated, rather than just reading. The videos made the concepts covered in PMBOK so much easier for me to grasp and then I was able to use my own ancillary study methods to learn more as I needed.

mlletech and Dipesh Jalui like this.
  9. Charley Dean

Charley Dean Active Member

I'd say so. And, you can't anticipate the difficulty of any real exam based on practice exams and mock tests. You just have to read and be thoroughly prepared as much as possible and take the exams that prepare your mind for what is ahead on test.

mlletech likes this.