I failed my PMP exam today

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Stanley Banks, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Stanley Banks

Stanley Banks Member

Today, I took the PMP exam and failed. I'm in shock. I studied so hard. Last year, I enrolled in PMI and studied nonstop for months, consistently scoring at least 60% on mock exams. Maybe I rushed into the exam. I was just so worried that I would miss out, fearing the exam change. My PMI membership expires soon. I want to take the PMP exam again before that time. Can you suggest a new study strategy and some test exams that will help me take and pass this test before any exam changes take place? What's the best time to sit for the exam? Also, I need to know how much the exam plus membership fee will be.

2. Tracey Sharp

Tracey Sharp Member

There could be many reasons for failing the PMP exam. You might not have adequately studied. And, even with good preparation, you could have other factors working against you. For instance, lack of sleep the night before or nervous tension during the test can make you skip or miss questions you would otherwise know the answers to.

Carefully review as many of the questions as you can on a practice exam, when not in a stressful situation and see if you get a passing grade. Sometimes, the stressful environment of a test makes it impossible to pass for some.

Some students may have the knowledge but freeze up during standardized tests. The pressure can be very intense.

You should find a way to reduce stress during a live test situation, such as meditation or deep breathing, especially if you are confident you already know the material. This will increase your chances of answering the questions correctly next time.

3. Ella Harmon

Ella Harmon Member

My suggestion is to go through the PMBOK at least several times before attempting the exam again. The questions on the PMP are based on PMBOK, so you should be studying that guide very thoroughly.

Before attempting the exam again, be sure you are proficient in and can pass practice tests for at least four of the six domains.

4. Prasad

Prasad Active Member
    Staff Member Trainer

Forget whatever happened. Just go through the mock test once again and make sure that atleast you are scoring about 85% in all the test. Where ever you are going wrong, refer the PMBOK. You can join some forums where the discussion happens. And also you can join free webinars which will be conducted by Simplilearn. You can get your queries addressed.

5. Arlene Cobb

Arlene Cobb Member

If you only used the PMBOK to study, then it's not surprising that you failed the exam on the first try. Solely relying on PMBOK is a mistake as there are a lot of questions on the PMP that are not explained in detail in the PMBOK.

For instance, project selection methods, motivational theories and quality theorists are not covered as in depth in PMBOK so you might be surprised to find them on the test.

However, you can find a thorough explanation of these concepts in many other prep materials. For this reason, you should supplement your reading of the PMBOK with other study materials that you find online or with various other books. In that way you will gain a broader understanding of every subject you will be facing on the PMP.

6. Robin Brady

Robin Brady Member

Failing a test on the first try is not uncommon and happens to many. You just have to move on as you will eventually pass. The next time around, you will be better prepared as you have already taken the real test.

It will help to take multiple mock tests from different organizations, not just one, as most times the test questions and case examples covered will be different for each site you use for testing. This will give you a broader understanding of the concepts of PMBOK as they apply to case examples and real world job situations as well as more experience answering case based questions.

7. Cora Lucas

Cora Lucas Member

Here's a tip for next time. It's easier to score correct on formula based questions but you should beware as they are time consuming, especially a problem that requires you to draw a network diagram.

8. Raquel Newton

Raquel Newton Member

Sorry to read that u didnt pass. I suggest u take another pretest and use the pretest and pmp identified proficient areas to identify the areas u need to focus on. Wouldn't study for another few months but come up with a plan based on your weak areas. Also go ahead and reschedule so you will not lose your momentum.
    Best wishes
    Raquel

9. Shawna Moran

Shawna Moran Member

I guess you have a wonderful opportunity once again to become PMP certified . Now that the pressure (of passing the exam in the first attempt) is off , you can relax , and comfortably prepare yourself for your next attempt.

You would now be able to realize your weaknesses better and prepare for them.
    Some of the issues that you could look at managing could be :

Managing your time for preparation

Its really important to prioritize your preparation now to manage your study .
    For instance , if I were to give the exam once again , I would look at the importance of each of the 42 processes (in brief) and study their connectivity . I would then concentrate on the ITTO'S for each of them to understand them better . This way I could learn the ITTO'S much faster and I don't even need to memorize them .

Managing your study
    We need to prepare well for the exam . There are some really good books in the market . We could pick up any one of them initially , to avoid confusion . Once we get a hang of things , we could read more to get a deeper understanding of the project management processes .

We could also make a list of forums , websites , etc which could give us answers to all those tough questions in a short span of time . Forums like this could really help us get some good help from successful test takers. Practice tests also helps a lot in ensuring that we successfully pass the exam.
    We could practice as many tests as possible (even the 10,20,50 ones ) available on the internet . These practice tests enable us to understand the underlying concept behind every question .
    If we are able to get the underlying concept behind every question , the answers become more evident.

Managing your anxieties/ fears / concerns

Each one of us who are aspiring to be PMP certified have their own anxieties , fears , concerns . I personally felt that we should never ignore them .They may be trying to convey something very important . We need to list out all those concerns and have an action plan for them.
    For instance , if I am weak in formula related questions , I could look out for all those websites, forums etc which gives me some good amount of practice and easy illustrations of the problems .

Managing your actual exam
    It helps to have our own comfortable strategy for the actual exam .
    This helps us in avoiding too much time for any single question and revise our answers well .
    For instance , I had a strategy like this
    75 questions and a break(5 min)
    75 questions and a break(5 min)
    50 question an a break(5 min)
    Revise

This enabled me to complete my exam in 3 hours and I had the remaining time to revise well .You could have your own comfortable strategy here .

This exam is all about planning , preparation and practice and we need to do that well . All the best for your next attempt !!

10. Siggy

Siggy Active Member
    Alumni

Hi Stanley,
    Sorry to hear you failed your exam, it is very difficult and that is why it is so worthwhile retaking and passing, the certificate is very highly valued....

If you are still looking for advice there are a number of excellent suggestions in the thread http://community.simplilearn.com/th...success-story-and-win-an-iphone-6-closed.329/

I suggest you have a read through this and choose a study plan that suits your study style!

Shruti and Praveenkumar E like this.
  11. Earlene Caban

Earlene Caban Member

With the help of SimpliLearn training and study materials and support and lots of work, I was able to pass the exam in my FIRST attempt - scoring "Proficient" across ALL Process Groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, M&C and Closing). This took about two months of study.

With dedication, you can do it too.

Here are some tips and tricks that helped me. And, I hope they work for you too.

1. Believe in yourself and your capabilities as an established Project Manager.
    2. Read Rita Mulcahy like a story.
    3. Read PMBOK (high-level) like a story; swapping 1 or 2 is fine.
    4. Read PMBOK by each knowledge area and the corresponding knowledge area in Rita Mulcahy together to detail (DO NOT MEMORIZE; INTEGRATE!). Have a schedule in place for a 2 week period to complete this and carve out 3-4 hours a day (minimum).
    5. DO NOT skip any of the exercises provided in Rita Mulcahy (helps you identify gaps).
    6. Write all chapter exams in Rita Mulcahy and report your test results on a daily basis to any of your mentors - you MUST report to your wife too - if you're married of course . Redo all chapter exams again all at once together in 3 hrs.
    7. Begin 200 question mock exams only after you've been able to score above 90-95% in the chapter exams. There are several mock exams available on the internet in addition to the wonderful ones SimpliLearn provides. You MUST score >85% in these exams consistently. There may be some exams that are really tough and scoring >75% in those exams is OK. You MUST take at least 10-12 mock exams before you take the final exam.
    ...and finally...
    8. Eat LIGHT throughout the ordeal and maintain a healthy lifestyle - this will ensure that your brain stays active and receives all the attention it needs.

12. Carson

Carson Active Member

It can be a real blow to the ego to fail this exam, especially if you felt you were so well prepared or even if coworkers or friends passed the exam so easily. For that reason, you should devote your time leading up to the exam to nothing but study (in your available time) and constantly review and practice with whatever review techniques you have, whether Simplilearn flashcards or mock exams/practice tests. All this will help you become more proficient at answering questions quickly, which is the key to completing the test on time and above average passing score.

13. bernadettewillis518

bernadettewillis518 New Member
    Alumni

KEEP AT IT!!!DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!

Ludwig Schreier(2543) likes this.