Inspection vs. Verification

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Cuiwen Kuai, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Cuiwen Kuai

Cuiwen Kuai Active Member

The method of examining work or a product to determine whether it conforms to documented standards is known as:
    A. Inspection
    B. Statistical Sampling
    C. Audit
    D. Verification

The answer was A, but I've answered D. Then I've checked definitions of both:
    Inspection: Examining or measuring to verify whether an activity, component, product, result, or service conforms to specified requirements.
    Verification: The evaluation of whether or not a product, service, or system complies with a regulation, requirement, specification, or imposed condition.

Is it because of the question was to identify a method? So inspection is a method while verification is a process?

Thanks.

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

This question always makes me smile.

What are we doing? We are examining work or a product (Control Quality)
    Why are we doing it? In order to determine whether it conforms. (Perform Quality Assurance)

The question is not asking why we're doing it - it's asking what we are doing.

This is yet another great example of the trickiness of some of these questions.

3. Cuiwen Kuai

Cuiwen Kuai Active Member

Thank you Tim, yes, some of the questions just still get answered wrongly after a few attempts, going to take the exam at the end of the month, hope you don't mind more questions need to be clarified coming :-D
    Have a nice day!

4. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

That's what I'm here for (grin). I hope you find some we both struggle with - that's where the learning exists. Keep the questions and doubts coming -