PMP Project 4:

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Poonam Singh, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Poonam Singh

Poonam Singh Member

Need help with question :
    Situation: You are working in a software industry and a project has been initiated by your sponsor. You are authorized as a project manager for the project. The project is about developing a telecom application for billing purpose. It is for an external customer who is a telecom service provider. As part of the planning, you look into the quality related aspects. The application shouldn’t have more than five defects and from the project specifications point of view the SPI & CPI should be 1+/-10%.
    C. For the required SPI measurement draw the control chart. Here the specification limits are +/- 20%--10 minutes

2. Samer barakeh(3330)

Samer barakeh(3330) Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Hi Poonam,
    what is your question exactly? so that we can clarify better.

let me try:
    1 +/- 10% 1-0.1 and 1+0.1 ie 0.9 and 1.1
    the target is 1, since you would like the project to be on track for both schedule and cost

so we have everything we need for the control chart ? the upper limit, lower limit and mean

hope this helps

3. _6801

_6801 Active Member

So do we just build a blank chart without data?

Something else confusing is the original situation states the SPI & CPI 1+/-10% then in question C. it states,
    For the required SPI measurement draw the control chart. Here the specification limits are +/- 20%

If I am reading the question correctly I am to build a chart with a UCL of +10% and LCL of -10% and not put in any data.

Is that correct?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

That's correct. The risk of some of these problems is reading more into the description and instructions than is actually there. In this manner, it emulates many exam questions...

_6801 likes this.
  5. _6801

_6801 Active Member

Thank you Tim. Thats a real time saver!

6. Ajoy Kumar Majumdar

Hi Tim,

As per my understanding from the Project#4:
    CPI = 1.1
    SPI=0.9

and
    UCL =1.2
    LCL=0.8

If the above value is correct then how can I plot it into the control chart, could you please give me some hints?

7. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

The first hint - what is your target CPI? That should be the middle line of your control chart.

Your CPI should be your plan, and if your actual costs match the value of your effort, EV=AC, and EV/AC should be 1. Right?

Your initial control limits are stated as +/- 10%. In the description (initial paragraph) they're called specifications, which is one way you would set your control limits - what are the required specification boundaries? That would make your UCL, LCL, 1.1 and .9.

Finally, re-read the instructions - does it tell you to plot data points? (also - would you plot SPI on a CPI control chart?)

Good luck, tell us how you did -

8. Ajoy Kumar Majumdar

Thanks a lot Tim, it will help me.