Share Your PMP Success Story!

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Shruti, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Shruti

Shruti -

Do you remember the days when you burned a lot of midnight oil to earn yourself the tag of a ‘Certified Project Manager’? Stressful, effort-taking but rewarding times, isn’t it? It's time to relive those memories!

PMP is changing lives everyday. Play the guiding light to PMP Aspirants and share your inspiring story of how you successfully cracked PMP.

How did you work your way for earning a PMP Certification?
    What was your overall strategy?
    How did you manage your time?
    Key points included in your brain dump?
    Challenges and hurdles faced during this journey? etc...

PMP aspirants - Keep a close eye on this discussion to learn from others' experiences and also ask any query or share your feedback. Good Luck for your certification!

(entries from the Share your PMP certification success story contest thread have been moved here)

2. Rohit Boral

Rohit Boral New Member

Let me make it clear, the PMP exam is not a rocket science.
    The PMP exam is a little bit tricky, but that does not mean it’s impossible to write and hopefully these tips would help all aspiring PMs, as they did help me a lot:

• Join one or maximum two forums.
    • Follow a couple of blogs.
    • Read pmbok along with a reputable study guide.
    • Study before attending boot camp.
    “Brain dump” should include all of the formulas, lists of items, and other concepts that you struggle with. Create this before the exam and update it as you study so you can become familiar with these before the exam. When the exam day arrives, put this information on your scrap paper and then you will not have to worry about forgetting it.
    Since you start PMP process, you already adhere to PMI Code of Ethics and it demands to be ethical and professional in all your dealings. So, the best way to check your PMP exam readiness is to start following PMI and PMBOK guidelines, and never forget to wear PMI hat during the exam.

_7106, _6180, Sunil Kulkarni and 2 others like this.
  3. Gregory Downes

Alumni

Preparing for the PMP exam and subsequently sitting the exam is quite an interesting journey. I cannot over emphasize the importance of preparation. I used the strategy outlined below. However, I must stress everyone has to determine what strategy works best for them based on several factors, including time, retention ability, project management experience, etc.

1. Complete the required training - I suggest you ask as much questions as possible during the training, so that there is clarity on the issues. I would suggest also becoming a member of PMI before sitting the exam, so that you have access to all the resources available on the site.
    2. Develop a study plan - It is wise to sit the exam within a reasonable time frame. Essentially, one that gives you sufficient time to adequately prepare as well as not too far out to cause lost of memory of the materials. It all depends on you ability and level of comfort with the materials, however, I would recommend that it should be within six months of taking the PMP prep course.
    3. Join a study group, if possible, a few blogs, PM fora, and online exam simulation sites - some are free and others require a fee.
    4. Study each knowledge area in PMBOK and thereafter answer practice exam questions from several sources. Know all the ITTOs and how they interact. Gauge you performance both in terms of correct answers and time taken to complete the questions. Focus your attention on the weak areas for additional study. You can supplement PMBOK with other books such as Head First PMP and PMP Exam Prep by Rita Mulcahy.
    5. Ensure you are proficient in the use of the various formulas and how to use them. Practice is essential here, because lack of knowledge of these could cause you to divert too much time in the exam. Calculation problems are sure thing if you know the formulas, but could be time consuming if adequate practice is not done in advance of the exam.
    6. Take a few complete simulation exams once you have covered all the materials - 200 question in 4 fours. I would recommend scoring 80% as satisfactory and being ready for the PMP exam.

In terms of my brain dump, I included all the formulas, the number and name of project management lifecycle knowledge areas, approaches to conflict management, key concepts, and PM Code of Ethics.

The main challenges was putting all the pieces together. The objective should not be to memorize PMBOK, but understand the application of the processes. I overcome this by matching the processes with projects I did in the past. It could be a simple project like building a dog kennel or as complex as a software development project. The key to success in the exam is thinking as a project manager and up holding the code of ethics.

Lastly, arrive at the testing center early. The four hours go by fast, so being in the right frame of mind to hit the ground running is essential.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Michael

Michael New Member
    Alumni

To say that taking the PMP exam was stressful would be an understatement. I took the Simplilearn training for the PMP course in July 2014 - a hybrid of on-line and classroom training. My instructor, Ken, was very knowledgeable and helpful in explaining the "terminology" that the PMI uses. I've done project management for a number of years, in various roles and was looking to take my career to the next level - hence the PMP exam.

I decided I would take the exam shortly after finishing my classroom and on-line training in August. Ken was very encouraging and said that we were ready to take the exam as long as we went through the available practice exams. I say "we" because there were a number of us in the class and the majority of us were all going to take the PMP exam.

After finishing the classroom training, myself and another class mate, decided we would do practice questions together as a way to study and learn from each other. We each reviewed the materials ahead of time and then met in person to go through the practice exam questions that Simplilearn provides. The exam questions are extremely helpful to test your knowledge and help identify any gaps that you may have in the materials. I would highly recommend that anyone taking the PMP exam do as many practice questions as possible and use Simplilearn question bank as it turned out to be fairly similar to the ones on the real exam.

So why was taking the exam so stressful for me? Well besides the fact that I don't like taking "tests", I had also applied and interviewed for a Senior Project Manager position shortly after taking the course. I think I might have gotten the interview by mistake since my interviewer was a little surprised that I still didn't have my PMP designation - I told them during the interview that I had registered for the exam and was going to be taking it the following week. The rest of the interview went fairly well, and I was told that they really liked me as a candidate but that I couldn't proceed to the next round of interviews unless I passed my PMP exam the following week.

Talk about pressure!

Nonetheless, I proceeded to take the exam and pass. A few weeks later and a couple of more interviews, I got the job and am still in this challenging new role of Senior Project Manager. Yup- I passed! I was surprised and really excited! I am also very grateful for the help I received from my instructor, classmates and Simplilearn materials.

In terms of my strategy for the exam - I basically memorized all the formulas and spent the first five minutes of the exam writing them all down before starting the exam. I didn't really memorize anything else as the training helped me understand the concepts and was able to follow the questions along.

My advice to anyone taking the PMP exam is understand the concepts, learn the terminology, and memorize the formulas, but most importantly - do LOTS of practice questions. Those will help prepare you for the marathon of the 4 hour PMP exam.

Good Luck to All!

5. Amal Nandan Prasad

Amal Nandan Prasad New Member
    Alumni

PMP is not a difficult exam - it is just a different examination. You need to collect your thoughts and apply the PMI methodology to it and then select the best possible option.
    Having said that I signed up for the PMP examination in Jan 2014, when I was out of the job, moved to a new job in March 2014 and then moved to Delhi in November 2014 to take up another job. Needless to say, I have never been confident of my preparations. However, having paid the fee and the examination window, drawing to a close, I took the examination on the first day of the last week of the examination window - February 02, 2015 and managed to clear it in my first attempt.
    To be honest, I have been told that only a select few have managed to clear it in the first attempt.
    So, here is my preparation plan:

1) I have managed Enterprise projects under PRINCE2 methodology that ran for 2-3 years. The first thing is to unlearn all your project management experience. While they are helpful and a prerequisite for taking the PMP examination, the PMI framework is a lot different - it is not tied to any particular industry and requires an application of the same while selecting the answers.
    So, unlearn from your project management experience and apply PMI framework

2) Understand all the five phases and the process groups on a broader level before drilling down to the individual processes.

3) Apply the concepts of ITTO on each process - Input, Tools and Techniques, Output.

4) Please understand that the process are to be followed in a sequence. Often the output of one process is the input of another process or processes.

5) Once you are able to complete the step 4, you can sort of create a chain or chains. Once you have the chains in your mind, almost one-third of the questions deals with the position of the link in the chain. So. if you are asked about something, just step back and ponder over the process chain and then try to see if the question is related to the sequence of the activity. For any activity, you may need to refer to the respective ITTO.

Create notes and then link them together using sticky notes. None of the process should exceed more than one A4 page - this note should have the phase, process group, ITTO and salient points. Assuming that you are using both the sides, you should not have more than 12 pages. 15 pages is the maximum limit. If your notes exceed 12 pages, this means that you have not assimilated the process well. Revisit the process and try to reduce it to one page. The gist of the matter is that you can do a quick revison without referring to any of the text.

6) In my opinion, the most trickiest part is the "monitor and control phase." Be ready to understand the scheduling (CPM, float, etc), performance metrics (CPI, SPI, CV, SV, etc), PERT, etc. One of the often overlooked portion is the "Make or Build" analysis including the mathematics involved there and the type of contracts.

7) Books:
    a) Head First PMP - a light hearted approach to PMP. The real value is the full length examination.
    b) PMBOK - though the subject is a bit dry as the formatting is basic, it gives you a complete insight to the PMI framework. As a PMI member, I had the PDF available free of cost but it makes sense to get hold of the physical book or kindle edition. I had purchased the Kindle edition.
    c) Rita Mulcahy's book - I wish that I have read this book more. This book has a lot of short-cuts to memory, a dump of all the mathematical formulae at the end and PMI-isms - the oneliners that would make the PMI framework more clearer. Good formatting, Crisp Presentation and plenty of white space. However, this book should not be read first. It should be done only when you have gone through the training and PMBOK
    d) Carl Pritchard - The queality of his blogs are stupendeous even though I did not have enough time to go through it. Came to know of it a bit late. Will be using his book for the PMI-RMP exam.

Exam related preparations:

1) Get a PMI membership and then apply for the examination. It would save you 15-20 USD. Bonus: You get some really good webinars for free - focus of the new practitioners ones.
    2) A preparation of 6-8 months is more than enough - don't overdo it or you risk losing your confidence, like I did - I managed to clear it but don't depend on luck.
    3) visit the Prometric center at least 1 hour before the scheduled examination. Except for the print out of the scheduling and identification proof, don't bother to carry redundant stuff like pen, pencils, hankerchiefs, wallets, car keys, etc, if you can help it. Though you are given a locker to store your personal belongings, it's better to keep less things that can cause the bother during the examination. You are, anyway, entering the examination room empty-pocketed - the only thing that would remain with you is your id proof and the locker key.
    4) Break the four hour period in four parts:
    a) 30 minutes for dumping the weak points (which you may have to cram)
    b) Two hours for completeing the examination (Roughly 1.5 minutes for every question and some 20 seconds for marking the quesions for review, if required, and moving to the next question)
    c) One hour for reviewing all the marked questions, redoing the calculations, revisiting the remaining answers.
    d) In the last 30 minutes, start making the best guess for the questions, you are not sure even after the second review. Try eliminating the wrong answers. Once you are done, don't be tempted to look back and submit your answers.

Thanks for reading this long post and best wishes in your quest for the PMP certification

6. a.asad

a.asad New Member

Many books include practice exams, and some others are available online or through the boot camps. It is a good idea to take a practice exam after doing a full read-through of the PMBOK® Guide in order to test your absorption of the concepts. Full mock exams should also help you identify your areas of improvement. Throughout your study, continually take different mock exams to become more familiar with the material and more confident about your test-taking strategy. If you can consistently score 85 percent in practice exams, then you should feel confident about the real exam.
    The PMP certification exam is a difficult test and many candidates do not pass on their first try. Books, support groups, and boot camps are some of the ways you can help yourself pass.
    Some well-known PMP exam prep books include:
    The PMP exam has many situational questions that will ask you to select the best action out of a list of possibilities. Drawing on your project management experience will be vital in answering these questions, but do not forget what the PMBOK® Guide recommends.
    Another important metric, in addition to overall exam score and proficiency in each area, is how confident you feel about each question you answer. While taking mock exams, keep some time to record how confident you felt about each question after answering it but before moving to the next. This information can be very helpful in guiding your study and gauging exam success. If you are not confident about a lot of the questions, this signals that you may need more study.
    PMI does not offer partial credit for unanswered questions like many other exams do. In other words, there is no penalty for guessing on a question that has absolutely stumped you. If you cannot eliminate any weak answers, then your chance of getting the question right is 25 percent. Leaving a question blank guarantees 100 percent that you get it wrong.
    As with any PMI exam, there is a lot of material to cover, so cramming will not work very well. In the early going, it is a good idea to hit only one chapter per study session. This will allow you to cover the entire PMBOK® Guide in under two weeks and take a mock exam to see where your areas for improvement are located. You can then focus on these areas in the next sessions.

Good Luck ! Hopefully these tips would help you out in the process of becoming a successful certified PMP.

Thomas Kim_1 and Shruti like this.
  7. MukeshShende

MukeshShende Member
    Alumni

On Sept 25th 2014 I cleared my PMP certification. I was happy at the biggest & valuable education milestone for me since I completed my graduation in 2000. You can also read this story at my blog post PMP In First Attempt and Quick PMBOK Revision

The first time I thought about getting certified was in Nov 2010 when I enrolled myself to get 35 PDU from the PMBOK 4th Edition preparation workshop. It took 4 years & self-study on PMBOK 5th edition for me to achieve the milestone.

In terms of timelines I was disappointed however after closely evaluating lessons learnt I am happy. During these 4 years,

• Worked on multiple customer projects
      • Fundamental requirement to apply & be eligible for the PMP certification
    • Worked as Process Lead
      • Enhanced my planning skills, stakeholder management skills, team management skills and performance evaluation and reporting skills
    • Worked as full time pre-sales SME
      • Improved my understanding on estimation & importance of having right assumptions and estimates in place. PMP exam do check understanding on estimation and tool & techniques for estimation.
    • Volunteered as Project Manager for Community Project
      • Project didn’t succeed as expected however I had hands on experience in driving Idea to Reality and understood my areas for improvement. Also helped me understand how project management fundamentals could have increased the success of the project.

All the experiences helped me understand PMBOK 5th Edition concepts well enough to clear the exam.

My initial scope/target was to get the certification as soon as possible. However in those 4 years, in kind of rolling wave learning (like rolling wave planning) the certification became only the milestone.
    Knowing & Mastering Project Management become the target by understanding PMBOK.

Here is my attempt to share the lessons learnt. I tried putting in 9Ws to understand easily,

• Why - Do you need certification
      • Is it Certification Or do you want to enhance your knowledge supported by certification. The choice is personal and I don’t want to make any recommendations. Whatever is applicable in your case try be clear. Seek mentor if you are unsure.
    • What - Drives your decision to take PMP exam.
      • A mandate from work policies, A personal goal for career enhancement, and Its company sponsored certifications etc. This will help you stay motivated when stuck with obstacles during preparation.
    • When - Do you want to complete it?
      • In my case it was June to Sept 2014.Target will help focus your energies to prepare well. At high level you need to target following targets,
        • Taking PMI Membership
        • Gathering Data Point for Application
        • Submitting Application
        • Scheduling Exam
        • Preparing for exam
        • Testing with Mock Exams
        • Attempting Actual Exam
    • Which - Areas of project management interests you.
      • All the areas are important however knowing your own strength will help you accelerate learning in some of the knowledge areas. Remember your school days, you would have tried to score the most in favorite subject right.
    • Where - You can find help
      • If you have taken PMI membership required help is already available for members. Also a lot of help is available on internet however knowing your sources of help will reduce time in struggling to find right help when you are stuck with understanding particular knowledge area, tools & techniques. Find a mentor if available, If you have buddy utilize it as collaborative learning can give mutual benefits.
    • What - Book to refer - I referred only following books,
      • PMBOK 5th Edition. http://www.pmi.org/
        • PMI Members get to download soft copy as part of membership. Make sure you read it at least once very thoroughly. I was told by people to read at least twice. Honestly I could not complete second round for all topics. I read topics which were not clear to me like Time, Risk & Procurement Management.
      • PMP® Exam Prep Products – Eighth Edition Published by RMC Publications, Inc. http://www.rmcproject.com/certifications/PMP_HowToStudy.aspx
        • Personal opinion this book has more than sufficient knowledge about project management. I personally felt overdose in the first reading. Don’t lose patience while reading long chapters else there is danger to get defocused/interested. Based on your convenience read it with decent breaks to ensure you remain interested. This book can be your ultimate source to get clarity on most critical concepts for the exam preparation.
      • The PMP® Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try Published by VELOCITEACH, INC. http://www.velociteach.com/resources-2/the-pmp-exam-how-to-pass-on-your-first-try/
        • Personally I loved this book. While walking through the office library I came across this one. Found very interesting for the cover page. I was able to finish this book in close to 2 week. Completing this book was the turning point to my preparation. Easy and small chapters helped me understand required content well. The tests after the chapters helped gauge my strengths and weaknesses. After completing this book I read the above to resources to work on weak knowledge areas. It helped me immensely to grasp the content.
    • What - Tests to try
    • Work Out - Timelines
      • Plan daily, weekly & weekend study hours according to your workload and work-life balance. For 2 months, I studied at least 3-4 hours a day 8 hours on weekend. Of course I had to stretch to meet work-life however it was worth by planning time well.
    • What Next - After you are certified
      • Have a plan to retain the PMP credentials. You will find guidance on how to retain it by submitting required PDUs in 3 year cycle.
    Most importantly, BE COOL, CALM & COMPOSED. There are so many things we can’t control.

I was struck with severe backache. I was forced by doctor to take complete rest over the only weekend just before my exam. For a moment I was panic. Doctor helped with medicines & my lovely wife helped me de-focused from stress and worries about the preparation time lost.

Please drop your comments if you find this post helpful to begin your exam preparation. If it works I will be glad to know about it.

All the best.

8. Kumar Palike

Kumar Palike New Member
    Alumni

It requires a careful and systematic planned preparation strategy. Need to study smart. It is wise to opt for the most updated ones.
    Perseverance is the key to achieve PMP. One has to dedicate quality time towards sincere preparation. Plan your entire time table well in advance. Distribute your chapters accordingly and keep a date booked for taking up the test. Try to abide by the calendar and set your deadlines.
    Try to take up as many mock tests as you can. This not only gives you a feel of the exam, but also boosts your confidence. To crack the PMP exam one should get proficiency or moderately proficiency in all the process groups. Since mock exams result do not categorized in terms of proficiency level so one has to try to score ~80% - 85%. Taking mini breaks during daily study sessions and a full day’s break in a fortnight will not only refresh you but also brush up your grasping skills and thus helps in knowledge retention. It is highly advisable to take up the exam either on Monday or take a couple of days leave from work to give a final touch to your revision. Honest and dedicated preparation and a fair amount of relaxation will certainly land you in success. Additionally, choosing a right classroom training institute helps really. I chose Simplilearn where I got trained by industry finest trainer who also gave me the right guidance.

Some resources which I have used:

PMBOK 5
    Rita Mulcahy 8th Ed
    Registration to Free and Paid online mock exams.
    Understand mapping to Knowledge area v/s Process groups in ITTO
    Try to solve mathematical calculation problem scenarios e.g EVM, Communication management, etc

Most important try to utilize PMP concepts in real time projects.

Coach / Mentor people by taking classes on project management concepts.

Shruti and Swetha like this.
  9. Prasanna Kumar

Prasanna Kumar New Member
    Alumni

Following are the Top 5 reasons I believe why one should obtain the PMP certification.

1. It challenges you

There is no doubt it is a tough exam, and most people realize that during the first few days of preparation. Whether it is the heavy study material, the examination format or the stress it causes both mentally and physically, it simply has a way to figure out how good you really are to handle your profession. It is a self-assessment. It is a wonderful opportunity for people to come out of their comfort zones and face the challenge, and if you are successful at it you could be a better worker, better co-worker and a better human being.

2. Helps organize yourself

All of us know that we have got into a rut at the workplace. And this exam really helps you get back into a study rhythm, start planning well, organizing your thoughts, improving your memory, improving your analytical skills, overcoming the fear of facing tough situations, meeting time challenges, thinking positively, visualizing the big picture etc. Preparing for this exam by itself brings in the changes that you are looking forward to. The certificate is just a formality.

3. Your performance improves

After this, you want to do better at the work place, you want to improve things, you want to succeed at whatever you do, you want to achieve greater heights, you want to improve your relationships. Who wouldn’t want to?

4. Teaches you to share knowledge

A noble man once said, “In vain have you acquired knowledge if you have not imparted it to others.”. This process also encourages you to start sharing your knowledge with others thereby helping improve the industry and the society as a whole.

5. Your network improves

Organizations, People and Communities start recognizing you better than before. They start to appreciate your efforts, they want to interact with you, and all of a sudden you become very special. And who doesn’t want to feel Special?

I hope this post encourages you to take a positive step ahead.

Good Luck!

Prasanna Kumar, PMP, MSP, ITIL
    pkpmp.wordpress.com

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Shruti and MukeshShende like this.
  10. Rashmi Mohan

Rashmi Mohan New Member
    Alumni

My name is Rashmi Mohan, working in a Tanzanian based Software company. I joined the company a year back when I realized there is tremendous career growth potential for me in the organization. I had good educational background but the experience was just not enough to be a Project Manager. But I decided not to wait for years to gather the experience, instead to invest in them. After a good research on the internet I decided PMP is the best way to it.

First I wanted to establish a base for which I enrolled into an online course offered by Simplilearn. I dedicated all the weekends to this and daily 2 hours of my weekdays. In no time I had run through the entire course material. But now was I prepared for the exam?

To me I looked pretty much yes. But I didn’t want to take a chance, cost being one of the most important factors.

I spent time reading on how others felt about the exam. I cannot be god gifted just for a PMP.

In no time, I understood, this was a no joke area. Experienced project managers invest time and effort on it and reap the benefits and some fail to do so. I am not going to be a failure that was decided anyhow.

I understood, a course can equip me with knowledge but cannot change my way of thinking to align with the PMI way which is the only key to crack the exam. Now, everyone speaks about an author called Rita Mulachy. I decided to invest on her books and other exam materials. I must say, that was the wisest decision I made.

Now I had the base, I knew what the course is about. But to me it’s not always so easy to change your perception about something. For this I went through the entire book and note it, I did not dare to skip even one exercise from the book. If I felt bored or tired, I would mark it and skip, but then I would not forget to come back to the exercise. It took me some time to finish the entire book.

By the time I reached the 4th chapter I started feeling that I had already forgotten some key areas in the older chapters. Simplilearn was again a life saver here with their brilliant online courses. I don’t have to learn or read just listen and ask questions. I picked up all the courses which came in my free time whether I had completed the chapter or not, I may understand or not, I may sit attentive or not. But this helped me to not lose the touch which I had gathered all the way.

After much effort I had completed the Book – Rita Mulachy version 8. Now I need to understand how prepared I am. I started taking fast track exams. First I started chapter by chapter. If I am disappointed with my scores, I would do a brush up of the chapter on the book and return to the test. After some time, the books were closed and it was just the fast track exams.

My confidence level started building up as my scores went above the so called passing zone. I had started with my exam application in parallel. Here I should thank one of those Simplilearn support staff who guided me through out to complete my application. He even took the pain to get my application reviewed by one of their senior staffs. I thank him again here for the help offered.

My dates were blocked as I didn’t have an exam centre in Tanzania and had to give my exam while I was expected to be Holidaying in my Home country “India”.

Arriving at the test center much early than suggested helped to relieve the stress out of me.

Before entering into the exam hall I told myself just one thing, its not Rashmi Mohan writing the exam, it’s a PMI agent, so think and mark accordingly. This made me tick a few answers which otherwise I would not have.

I am now a Proud PMP certification holder and I wish my fellow friends the best of luck for their journey.

Tiyas Roy and Shruti like this.
  11. Analiza Gueta

Analiza Gueta New Member

Hello,
    My name is Analiza Gueta, I am working as project manager in a semiconductor company since 2010 and have move on to be Supplier Development Manager managing Supply Chain Programs in the same company. I was what you can call an accidental project manager at first since I did not have formal training prior to becoming a project manager. I got my PMP Certification in 2013 with the help of Simplilearn's Bootcamp and here is my story.

In 2013, having completed more than 50 projects for the company, I decided to get certified. In this 3 years I already acquired enough experience and done self-study along the way. My first step to getting formal education was to join Simplilearn's 4 Days PMP Bootcamp in Manila. This is where I learned of the requirements to getting certified, how to register and what to expect in the exam.
    The workshop was facilitated by a respectable professional who gives us tips and discussed the topics clearly. Simplilearns' outline is exactly what you need, not only for the exam but in actual application of being a project manager. Practical examples based on the instructors experience also help a lot in the exam since some of discussed scenarios were similar to those that came out in the exam.
    One key thing that stick to me and changed my view forever from the Training is being responsible for all aspect of your project - The success of the project is the Team's effort while its failure is the project manager's fault. Quite hard to accept at first however since you are in control of the project, you are responsible.

It is important to be interactive in the workshop and answer the quizzes. Read PMBOK, after you study, answer lots and lots of practice questions - as many as you can - practice makes perfect after all.

Simplilearn's e-learning is also very helpful, I listen to it in my mobile phone whenever I travel. This makes learning a lot more convenient: Here are the important things you need to know:
    -- Know the Process Groups, Knowledge Areas and Processes. Understand the sequence of the processes and what are the inputs and outputs per process
    -- Learn how to answer the PMP certification multiple choice questions, when everything seems right, choose the best one. Be mindful of Key words, there are certain word that PMI do not use.
    -- Learn and practice PMP Code of Professional Conduct.

When I felt ready, I registered in PMI, complete the necessary steps for registration. You will find the requirements here: http://www.pmi.org/certification/which-pmi-certification-is-right-for-you.aspx

After registration and paying the exam fee, luck of all luck my credentials was chosen for PMI's audit process. The selection of an application for audit is random. Log in to the certification system at https://certification.pmi.org/ to obtain information about the audit process and to download the audit forms. Once complete, I have it shipped to PMI Global Operations Center in USA.

After approval which took a little less than 7 days upon receipt of my audit form, I have scheduled my exam.
    The exam was not really hard, mostly are practical with some computations and your experience as Project Manager would come in handy for things that are not written in the book. Be smart, don't dwell too much on a single question. Don't drink too much liquid before taking the exam to avoid frequent trips to comfort room. It's OK to take a quick break once or twice just to stretch or relieve some stress. Don't be overwhelmed by the exam, if you don't know the answer to one question, just pick what you think is best - you still have 199 more to go - move on!

200 questions later, the computer will give you the result whether you pass or fail. The exam center will print you a copy of your test result signed by the proctor. PMI will then send you a copy of your certificate.

Hope this helps :)

Shruti likes this.
  12. Andre Hartono

Andre Hartono New Member
    Alumni

PMP Certification is globally recognized certification which proved we have the necessary knowledge, experience and education to effectively contribute to project team success.

I have been working in IT industry for around 14 years, and most of the time I involve in many kind of project such as implementation, roll out, enhancement, upgrade, etc. most of the time I involve as a project leaders, and I would like to improve myself to become a certified project manager professional. Thus I decided to take PMP course and examination.

I found to pass PMP certification was quite challenging due to many knowledge to learn while there only limited time due to I had to work 8-10 hours/ day and had family at home. Thus I need a very effective course methodology that can help me to pass the exam.

I took the Simplilearn training for the PMP course in June 2014, Simplilearn provide e-learning (online) training which is accessible through smartphone/ tablet and it’s mobile friendly and provide a good summary of PMBOK chapters with some sample of questions on each chapters. It helps me a lot as it allows me to learn and study during my journeys/ travels time.

I also had many useful knowledge and tips from experienced trainer Mr. Chee on how to succeed in the PMP exam, how to easily memorize Project Management Process Group and knowledge areas and highlight important topic which frequently asked during the examination.

Here are some tips and sharing from me to prepare and pass the exam:
    • Start e-learning materials before class room training
    • Ask and discuss with the trainer and other trainee for any doubt/queries during class room training
    • Highlight important knowledge that frequently asked during exam which will be mentioned by the trainer
    • Ensure to complete read and highlight important knowledge within PMBOK Fifth edition (emphasize on terminology, theory, formula, and exercise on how to complete critical path method, statistical tools and methid, etc.
    • Ensure to complete 5 Mock up test provided by Simplilearn with score above 70 for each mock up test
    I took PMP exam on 8th August 2014 (ensure we have adequate time to complete read all PMBOK material, and complete the mockup test preparation) and I successfully pass my PMP exam on my first attempt. I’m very grateful and happy with this achievement, and I would like to say thanks to Simplilearn trainer and e-learning materials which make this possible.

My company appreciate my initiative to take PMP certification and grant me with a significant salary raised to protect me form other company offering, thus please start your journey to take PMP exam preparation now, good luck everyone :)

13. Praveenkumar E

Alumni

I consider my PMP journey was rather moderately simple and effective. First I google'd and also thru friends selected Simplilearn as education partner. When I turn back, its proved that selection of Simplilearn was apt.

Here it goes!!

• Read once Rita Mulcahy before the Simplilearn training, so that I got the chance to clear doubts and clarify the same with trainers and with other participants.
    • Meantime applied for PMI membership and hence got the PMBOK pdf from PMI. One need to go thru this couple of times and refer as frequent as required.
    • Simplilearn online access is of great help which refreshes the class room training and you can play particular session of your choice as much as needed.
    • Another important area is to understand the input - tools & technique – output for all process. One of co-participant shared excellent chart (mind map) comprises of these.
    • Earned value management is critical where one will get around 10 questions in various manners. I would say instead of memorizing the formulas, learn how to derive them. So that one will not forget them during 4hrs exam stress. Different types of contracts are another area with lot of equations. Learn and understand the concept instead of blindly memorizing them.
    • Practice the questions given in Simplilearn study material (book + online 75 trail questions) and also in Rita Mulcahy. During this time, you may spend little extra time. Pay attention to words such as not, except etc.. Many of them are with negated scenarios. I think that many questions are sufficient before you take Simplilearn simulation tests.
    • Simplilearn 5 simulation tests are excellent and similar to that of PMI questions. You need to do practice them in one shot to get the real feeling of actual exam. However I’m not sure if you can simulate the real exam pressure J. Make sure you are getting 85+ questions right to be on safer side before the PMI exam. After each simulation test, review the answers why it was wrong or right and note key points for later reference.
    • I guess reading too many books, following many websites are never ending and will end up in a confused state. Again it may depend on person to person.
    • Read Rita Mulcahy, PMBOK and Simplilearn material and study Brain Dump once more.
    You are ready to go!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Glen Leatherman and Shruti like this.
  14. Siggy

Siggy Active Member
    Alumni

(Contest Winner Story)

The best way to study for the exam is to understand how YOU learn, my way may not be best for you, but I hope you can take some things from it to assist your study plan.

I study best when I can learn at my own pace, go over stuff I am finding difficult and can access from anywhere, which is why I chose an online course. Your mileage may vary and you may need intensive classroom study or a mix of online and classroom – You must understand how you will achieve the best result for you!

So how did I pass my exam 1st time with no classroom study achieving Proficient or Moderately Proficient in all areas?

I am assuming that as you want to take the PMP exam that you are a member of the PMI. www.pmi.org . This is a MUST HAVE if you are taking the exam, there are so many free resources on this site – you have paid for your membership – use them!

First thing to do – Download the latest version of the PMBOK – it is another free resource! Read it – ALL. Then keep it as a reference.

The best part of the site for me was the ereads and reference section: Many useful resources for the Project Manager. http://www.pmi.org/learning/tools-and-templates.aspx - click on online books - Browse titles
    Find the PMP Exam books,
    Click on PMP Exam Prep: Questions, Answers & Explanations, 2013 Edition book

Read and Take the exams (usually 50 questions on each topic or general exam questions, easy to do in an hour - make a note of the answers for those you get wrong – The really important part of this is that it directs you to the section it refers to in the PMBOK so you can read up on it and understand the answer.

Plan your study – what are you going to do and when and how. Find and book a course that will suit your mode of study – I used Simplilearn www.simplilearn.com because they provided the most cost effective course that had everything I needed and was looking for. Most importantly I was able to talk to my account manager about halting the course and restarting the course (that was not too expensive for me) as my work got in the way of my study…. If you complete the whole course (watch all the videos) they will send you a certificate for 35 PDUs.

BOOK YOUR EXAM – If you don’t do this, you will procrastinate and never be ready for it. It is amazing what a date in a diary can do to focus your mind. Don’t Delay – BOOK THE EXAM TODAY.

The most important advise I can give you is to go online and find mock exam questions -
    I had already booked with simplilearn, www.simplilearn.com because of their course structure, but they also provide 4 simulation exams. I would have paid the fee with simplilearn just for the mock exams, but the videos are another awesome resource.

· So you take the mock exam –

· look at the areas you need work on

· read the section in the PMBOK

· watch the simplilearn videos

rinse and repeat!

Once you are consistently getting 70% or above – you are ready for the real thing.

5. More resources online

This is another good site to register with for free http://www.examcentral.net/ they seem to have most of the free questions in one place and they give a good breakdown after the exam. Definitely worth a visit.
    A good blog for study tips: http://www.deepfriedbrainproject.com/
    check these out if you have time:
    http://www.preparepm.com/mock1.html
    http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm

6. I recommend downloading some apps for the phone or tablet:
    PMP Flashcard by simplilearn

PMP Exam
    PMP Exam Prep Pro
    Project Management by SimpleNeasy App
    PMConnector by Ricardo Vargas (has podcasts)
    Project Management flash cards

try them all and keep the ones that you like!

OK – There are some things you just HAVE to know – these are what most people call their brain dumps!

Try and remember the Inputs and Outputs
    Must learn Financial - Formulas:
    Print out The Matrix of the Knowledge areas and process groups from the PMBOK and memorise it!
    Learn these and what they mean:

Deming – Plan-Do-Check-Act – Continuous Improvement
    Ishikawa – Cause and Effect – Fishbone
    Pareto – 80/20 – Frequency of Occurrence

I will try and add some reference sheets that I found useful – they may not be allowed!

8. In the Exam room

You will be given 2 sheets of paper and a pencil –

First 10 mins – Brain Dump everything you can remember.

Half way – take 5 mins to have a drink and a protein snack.

Good luck everyone – come back and let us know how you go!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    Kumar MV, Glen Leatherman and Swetha like this.
  15. David Shepherd

David Shepherd New Member
    Alumni

Toward the end of last year, my division was assigned a new VP who is interested in having all project leaders PMP certified. Once I heard this, knowing that my next potential role is a project leader, I checked into what I needed to do to become a PMP. I researched and submitted my application in December 2014. Scheduled my exam for February 6, 2015. I had a month to refresh my learnings from the classes I took on 2009. I found Simplilearn and purchased a month on-line program to help me prepare for the exam. I spent a couple of weeks listening to the 17 modules, then I studied the brain dump and case studies. I was ready to take the practice exams. Exam 1 - needs more work, Exam 2 - needs more work, Exam 3 - great job, Exam 4 - great job. I was ready with 2 days to go before the exam. I felt confident, in a meeting with my boss the day before taking the exam, he told me "don't to be disappointed if I did not pass the exam on the first try, many great project leaders took multiple trys to pass the exam." I had to show him, took the exam and after a few nervous minutes the computer said congratulations. I had passed the exam the first time, thanks to Simplilearn.

16. Abhishek Mukherjee_1

Alumni

Hi Everyone,

I cleared my PMP exam today. Glad to be both CAPM and PMP certified now. Thanks everyone for all your support
    I cleared my PMP Certification today with 4 Ps and 1 MP. 1 MP was in closing not sure where I goofed up.

Few cents from my side

• Preparation time - 2 Months- July and August 2015. Generally 8-10 hrs on weekend and 1-2 hrs on weekdays.
    • Courses and books refered- Rita for conceptual reading especially risk management and procurement management is very well covered. Head First Pmp very good book for visual learners like me. PMbok hardly touched upon, read the glossary though. I also took an online course of simplilearn for mocks and videos.
    • Mock Tests- Any mock test I could find
      • Simplilearn- 70-82- Close to PMP
      • Olive Lehmann-77.5 and 82 in 75 and 175 questions tougher than PMP
      • PM Study- 77.5- Close to PMP
      • Passionate PM- 86%- Easier than PMP
      • PM Zest- 69%- Tough grammar
      • Free PMP Simulator- 80+ very close to PMP
      • Head First Free Mock- 90+- Easier than PMP
      • PMZilla Tough 30- 55% in first attempt
      • Izenbridge Tests- 80+ very good questions ( even the free videos are great)
    Analysis of mocks are crucial post any examination. I did that, went back to the books to read upon my weak areas and it helped a lot.

• Level of the exam- Medium- Tough in level.
      • Concentrated a lot on concepts
      • PMP Tests you on your capabilities to put yourself in manager's shoes and think about the answer
      • Questions are well worded and needs to be read properly to get the right answers
    Lessons learnt- Study the concepts, you wont be able to memorise everything, practice as many mocks you can and please analyze them properly.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Harmann likes this.
  17. sartajbedi74

sartajbedi74 Member
    Alumni

Hi I studied for nearly 2 months for my PMP certification and was getting regularly between 85-90% score but I failed my PMP. Really disheartened with this

18. Daljit Singh

Daljit Singh Member
    Alumni

Hi just cleared the exam and thought I'd share what I've learnt.

I took the simpliearn online course 3 months back, during that time for around a month I was studying on and off around 2-3hours a day, and then real life stuff took over I stopped studying and I was forced to improvise.

Guess what: I booked the exam while I was doing my course at Simplilearn, set a realistic date and told myself I'd only have myself to blame if I screw it up.

Second thing I did was come up with game plan on studying which was to apply Pareto's Principle.

I used evernote to create snapshots and organise material along my own study plan. This involved taking images from various sources and then creating my own mindmap to sort out the material. I only really had time to take 2 mocks on simpli, and neither of them saw me breach 75%, but I still registered for the exam in Oct, and set up a plan.

PMBOK and Simplilearn notes will not be enough, you need to supplement the information either from books like Ritas or there's supplementary material available online, and even more material at PMI.org.Believe me there's a tonne of stuff, what you want to do is pick 2-3 in addition to Simplilearn notes which I did use in the week leading up to the exam. With 2 weeks to go all I did was mockups, in any area I didn't score >80% I'd hit the material again and I would revise. In fact the last 3 weeks leading up to the exam hardly saw me read new material, in fact at this point its just rehashing and making sure I understand areas I am weak at. Total prep time in study hours : 52hrs.n You don't need a lot of hours, use pareto's principle.

Finally for exam day bear these things in mind:

The material is easy, the only way you are going to screw things up is by failing to observe the following:

a. Every math question is a given, they are all easy and the only reason you will get them wrong is failing to understand when to use BAC and EAC in a TCPI question for instance. Along with PDM questions, you should be breezing through them.

b. Use mnemonics to memorise the important stuff, or some form of pattern recognition. Your brain remembers things better if you build linkages between facts to remember. 6674343644 became my 47 processes, and I used pictures to remember entire concepts, and this helped with some ITTOs and here's where people waste most of their time : ITTOs

c. Don't bother memorising the ITTOs you are going to waste a lot of time and effort, understand the ITTOs find a system which encourages you to build linkages to understand how they interrelate, you will be amazed how much you remember from that alone.

d. Pay attention to the questions, 80% of my questions were word puzzles of some sort, where I had to read the statement understand the context of the question before coming to an answer. I had a few questions which had no identifiable PM jargon in them, the way we would come to expect. Instead one of them went something like this :" 3 members are discussing how long their tasks will take and have created their calendars when one of them feels that he has been unfairly treated..and then it goes on about how he's been treated and the question then asks which part of the project process you are in." I had so many questions that were "word play" questions I was getting annoyed. Remember if a question stresses you out, stop, take a deep breath, mark it and come back to it later. Do not allow 1 question to screw up 199.

e. If its a long question...go to the end of the question, find out what they are asking before you dissect the information. You could end up with a gigantic network diagram that takes up your whole screen looking like a XMAS tree, and if you decide to start calculating the critical path without thinking, you could end up wasting a lot of time when the question is a lot more straightforward.

f. Some questions are intentionally written to confuse, if you happen on one of these, mark it and come back to it later. No question is worth more than 1 min on your first pass. NEVER GET DEJECTED, this isn't a brutal exam, not like some of the 6 hour mammoth ones I've seen.

I finished the exam in under 3 hours, I went back to answer my 4 marked questions and then I trusted my first pass and walked off. I could have stayed to check my answers but I was suffering from a back ache prior to the exam, I wasn't in the best of condition, and I didn't want to torture my back any more than I had to.

If you have a solid game plan, there should be no reason to fail this, bear one thing in mind though, the questions are not going to be straightforward, you need to know how the knowledge applies to situational project management issues. I didn't have a single question that was easy like: "All these are inputs to the Collect Requirements process except", if you are memorising the ITTOs you may regret it, you will be spending more time wasting than understanding. If you don't have a solid grasp of how these concepts relate situationally, then you won't pass.

Good luck

Dong_2 likes this.
  19. Ganesh_28

Ganesh_28 New Member

After college days and few years in Industry I felt bit hard to read the text books, I even felt dropping of PMP idea but after joining simplilearn things got changed thanks to Mr BKS Prasad his way of handling online classess was so Interactive & awsome, next the Simplilearn videos, Its really amazing its like my friend I can repeatedly watch and its too simplified and crunchy helped me to remember the concepts at my own pace. Then after attempting the practise exam and scored 62% gave me the confidence that I can appear for the PMP exam. Then the big challenge was to fix the exam date, Once its done then I started attempting many online free mock tests and finally done.
    Some reference for simulated questions.
    www.passtheprojectexam.com
    www.pmaspire.com
    www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm {At the bottom of the page you have so many reference links which helped me a lot}
    Finall touch - We are PM's only thing helps us keep on moving is taking decisions with confidence.
    Thanks for Simplilearn.
    All the best guys.

Dong_2 likes this.
  20. Adam D Oxford

Adam D Oxford Active Member
    Alumni

My journey actually started in November, 2015. So finally ~6 months later, I took the test this morning and passed! So many things fell into place that makes this the blessing that it is. Simplilearns training was great. I could have expanded my studies a little further outside the PMBOK and samples tests, as there were many more situational questions on the exam than what these prepare one for. It does not require memorization of facts, but wisdom of application. It did take scheduling the test to bring finality to the process- forces you to get it done! Good luck and God bless!

21. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Adam, congratulations! Thanks much for the input; it assists fellow participants immensely -

Good luck,

22. PADMASINI

PADMASINI Member

Hey, Tim, I hope you remember me. I attended your classes from March 8, 2016 - March 18, 2016.
    And I would like to share with you that I've passed my PMP exam yesterday - in first ever attempt.
    Thank you so much for all the knowledge you shared with me/us.

Came here to write a separate thread on my observations and preparation strategy on PMP exam. But when I saw your name popping, couldn't stop myself from writing this reply first.

Thank you once again.

23. tim jerome

Trainer

Padmasini, congratulations, and thank you for sharing. I appreciate your communicating, and please note that success has been attained because of your efforts. Noone who has not stood for the test understands this effort, and all who do see this effort as the key to creating new paths in their lives.

You've changed your future potential. Enjoy this, and appreciate that you're one of a few, and you've also earned the right to pass this success forward to other PMs. Again, congratulations, welcome to the group -

p.s. Wait a few months, and you'll begin to realize that this is just the beginning...

PADMASINI likes this.
  24. Amit Samanta(3786)

Alumni

Cleared PMP at the first attempt on 4th May. Simplilearn's Mock tests helped me a lot.............)

vijaysrivastava likes this.
  25. Dong_2

Dong_2 Active Member

I just passed my PMP examination today scoring moderate in all categories except for planning where I scored below proficient. My studying started on March 18th through May 14th.

The actual exam was more difficult than the mock test on Simplilearn for me. Though I did feel the Simplilearn mock exams helped me focus on key concepts which helped me in the exam.

Here are some highlights from my exam:
    • My examination had very little formulas in terms. The test usually gave me the calculation and I needed to decipher the data. No EAC, TCPI, ETC, CPI and SPI calculations. I also didn't need to calculate Comm/Channel and had 2 pert related calculations.
    • I did not encounter 1 question that was a NOT, or UNTRUE question. Where I need to identify the wrong or false statement.
    • I also found that question wording was not as explicit as one would like. Instead of stating common examples of a kick off a meeting or key focus in developing a project charter It will describe an action the PM is trying to accomplish, then use different terminology. After reading the question I would assume the answer would be project sponsor only to find that another term was used instead of project sponsor. I assume this was to prevent people from PMPisms to figure out answers.
    • There were some questions about ITTOs but not very many.
    • I felt the majority of the examination was concept based questions where you needed to figure out what needs to be determined next. Or best course of action.

I honestly didn't know if I would pass the exam after completing in 3 hours and spending 45 minutes reviewing questions I wasn't sure about.

Thanks Simplilearn for helping me pass the exam!

vijaysrivastava likes this.
  26. vijaysrivastava

vijaysrivastava New Member

Hi All,

Thanks to God, I got through PMP certification (Dec, 2015) in first attempt and saved my many dollars ($).

It is about 5-6 years back, I came to know about PMP. In my previous organization when we were asked to create our resume for client referring to resume of PMP certified project manager. The PMP initials after his name appealed me. Since then, I thought to have completed the certification. But whenever I asked someone regarding this certification, I got a reply it is one of the tough examinations. So, I could not take step ahead for preparation. Just in Jan 2015, I started study for PMP.

Honestly speaking, it may take you 6-8 months for study if you are in job. If your organization following PMI practices, the time may reduce to 4-6 months including initial required PDU training.

Followings are my strategic actionable steps for getting through the certification examination.
    • Take firm decision and be confident about passing the certification. Do not hear anyone who scares you for this certification and showing it as a bug-bear.
    • I referred four books - HeadFirst (2 times), PMBOK Guide (2 times), Rita (2 times), Kevin Heldman (1 times).
    • I strongly suggest to create your notes. Because notes are very helpful when you are close to writing examination. To refer all books just before examination is a waste of time.
    • Try to store the formulas in mind by writing them and by solving as many as numerical question possible.
    • As far as ITTOs are concerned, first understand their significance in the process. You can also think in different manner If you do not have that ITTOs, what problem you may face in your project. As you come to know the problem without them, it means you have understood its significance. Just 2 or 3 days before the exam, you write all ITTOs (process wise) in your paper. It seems that it would take a lot of time but I assure you you would not take more than 2 hours to write all ITTOs.
    Keep on doing these exercise for last 3 days and you will be able to solve many questions. It is true you may get only 5-6 question which are
    directly related to ITTOs but if you do practice, you will be able to solve 10-15 other questions just relating concept with ITTOs.​
    • Keep on giving mockup tests as many as possible. Do not be scared / hesitate if you scoring very low. But never forget to create a question bank of wrong answers. This way, you can convert your weakness into strength. Same strategy, you apply for formula related questions.
    I shared some of key points which I applied. I hope, it may be helpful for PMP aspirants.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  27. AmerNatarajan

AmerNatarajan Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support Alumni

W
    We congratulate you on becoming certified on PMP. All the very best.

Cheers

28. Irem Ustundag

Irem Ustundag New Member
    Alumni

Thank you Simplilearn and BKS Prasad for providing great training! Today I passed PMP in the first attempt with proficient in all areas! That was one of the fulfilling moments in my life.

I promised myself to share my experience if I pass the exam since I personally found the real life experiences during studying very helpful and motivating. Although everyone’s learning style is different, I still believe we all can learn from each other.

Key information:
    -I did not read entire PMBOK or Rita. I based my studies on Simplilearn classroom training and Simplilearn PMP e-book.
    -I prepared in less than 1 month.
    -I solved around 1500 questions. 5 Simplilearn Mock exams (1000), all questions from Rita book (354), Oliver Lehmann (75)
    -I did not memorize the inputs, outputs

How I studied:

Journey started with online classroom training by BKS Prasad. After lessons finished and I passed my application process, I scheduled my exam day for June 29, where I would have more or less 1 month to study. This was important for me to set a deadline and to focus on a target date.

I restarted the study as of June 6 with more focus. I listened all recorded sessions from the beginning while taking notes and understanding the concepts- pausing the recordings as needed. This took me around 5 days.

Starting from June 11, for the next 7-8 days I went through each process one by one again and prepared my summary notes for later use! These notes included:
    - key concepts/notes from Simplilearn
    - additional information from Rita where I just checked Ritas quick test in the beginning of each process and read the sections which I didn’t know
    - key points from Simplilearn quiz questions, classroom exercises and Ritas practice questions at the end of each process
    - key learnings from Oliver Lehmann 75 question test
    This section required daily: 10-12 hours work during weekend and 2-4 hours during weekday. On the other hand, this methodology ensured me to understand each concept one by one and having a good summary of notes for later use.
    My results were: Oliver Lehmann (66%), Rita Practice Test Results for each process (Lesson 3 to Lesson 13):58%, 70%, 77%, 76%, 71%, 87%, 65%, 73%, 76%, 43%, 75%.

Last 4 days were intense. During the weekend I solved all Simplilearn Mockup tests (1000 questions) and reviewed every single question and understand why it is correct or not. All the learnings were added to my summary notes. Simplilearn Mock Test Results: 78%, 78%, 77%, 71%, 87%

On the last 2 days, my focus was to have an end to end understanding on project management so that I can know what I am doing and why. What is the tool, what is an input/output. But not memorizing. I reviewed the following in the last day of preparation:
    -My notes in all areas
    -Studied Brain Dump, PMPisms, Pairwise connection, strategic approach from Simplilearn
    -I put extra effort for Initiate and Close processes since these are only 4 processes and yet make up 20% of the exam. These processes I read both from Rita and PMBOK as well. Although I work in procurement, some concepts in Procurement were tough, hence also put additional effort in this area.
    -Rita process chart (page 50)
    -Rita Chapter 15 Tips for passing the exam for the first time

During Exam:
    I finished exam in 3 hours 45 minutes. Reviewed only in the last 15 minutes 20% of marked questions and changed only 2 questions. Simplilearn exams usually took around 2.5 hours for me. I took break only once for 10 mins.

Key learning:
    - Put a deadline for yourself and put a plan
    - Stick to your study plan
    - First understand each process
    - Make sure at the end to put all the process together in your mind
    - Strategically approach the topics based on your exam results (areas where you have lower scores)
    - Do practice exams and study the areas you need to understand further

At the end preparation for PMP certification is a project: define your strategy, put a plan together, execute the plan, monitor your performance, take corrective actions and get your certification! Yes it is hard work but you will succeed.

_12399 likes this.
  29. B K S Prasad

B K S Prasad Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support Alumni Trainer

Congratulations Irem and all the best for your future.

30. Olusegun Olotu

Olusegun Olotu New Member

Thank Jesus! I wrote the paper-based test on October 8 and got the email notification that I had passed the PMP exam on October 17 (on my first attempt).

I want to thank Simplilearn for the training, which combines online videos and virtual classrooms, and especially Tim Jerome for answering my many questions, and for the advice about building confidence and pacing oneself. I also found the comments in this discussion thread quite useful, particularly Irem Ustundag's. I followed the approach outlined, made sure I took a lot of practice tests, and tracked my progress so that I could revisit any areas of weakness.

Not only do the Simplilearn simulation test papers help to expand your learning (with the explanations of the answers when the results are presented), they also highlight the process groups that require more study and attention. The practice test in each chapter of Rita’s PMP Exam Prep will also help to identify knowledge areas that need further review.

Overall, I’m grateful that I can say that getting my PMP certification was a project that was delivered on schedule (exactly 3 months) and within budget. THIS customer is quite satisfied!

31. Priyamwada

Priyamwada Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Olusegun,

Many Congratulations on being PMI Certified !
    Thank you for such a detailed review this will be great help for all the PMP aspirants!
    I will go ahead and share the news of your success with Tim.

Regards,
    Priyamwada

32. Bharath Kumar_2

Alumni

Hi All,

This is Bharath.

I passed my PMP exam in my first attempt on November 10th 2016. I did my simplilearn instructor led training during May 2016. Thanks to Balasubramaniam. I have received my long waited PMP certification last week from PMI

I did my Simplilearn course in May. But I started preparing for the exams from August.

Booked my Exam for November 10th. Then Bought Rita Mulcahy PMP Book.

Initially i had a confusion of what books and material to use to prepare because there are lot of resources online and more books and videos.

After doing more research, I finalised my materials to use and i didn't use anything else

1. Class room videos from simplilearn
    2. RIta Mulcahy PMP 8th edition updated - Book( Worth Every Penny Strongly recommend buying this !)
    3. PMBOK from PMI
    4. Simplilearn MOCK TEST (Very important)

Don't confuse yourself too much by refering more materials.

i would like to share how i prepared for the exams and few tips.

1. I hope you all know the whole subject is too big. Please give solid 3 or 4 Months for your preparation.
    2. Buy Rita Mulcahy PMP and read the full book. Thoroughly understand the book.
    3. Focus covering the all the knowledge areas, and refer to simplilearn videos and materials for clarifications.
    4. Understand and Memorise the process chart
    5. Understand how each process relate and interact with each other
    6. Understand Inputs and output for each process and ask yourself why is this an input. what is an output
    7. Every knowledge area is equally important. Understand Integration, Procurement and Integrated Change Control, Change request Concepts very well.
    8. Once you finish the whole book, start taking the mock test.
    9. Allot 4 hours and try 200 questions in one go. This will help you to plan your time and mentally prepare you for the exam
    10. Initially my score is 60 %, but then i gradually improved by repeating the test to more than 70 %.
    11. Very important thing review your wrong answers and understand why you were wrong.(!important)
    This is is important, this will help you understand your misconceptions and correct you.
    So, please analyse your wrong answer. This helped me a lot.
    12. Review the PMPBOK. To be honest i didn't read the PMBOK completely.
    I was looking at the process diagrams and tried to understand the process input/outputs/ToolsTechniques and how it relates to other process
    13. Very importantly, review the last chapter, Glossary from PMBOK. Make sure you have come across and clear on every glossary terms
    14. Make sure you know where the Glossary terms fit into over all project management.
    15. In the Exam, Most of the questions might have 2 or more closest answer. So please be confident in the concepts and rule out the incorrect one from the options first and choose the best answer.
    16. Read the questions twice and understand the question clearly before you choose the answer.
    17. Do mock tests and review the wrong answers! (Repeating it again)

That's it!

This is what I did to get my PMP certification.

I scored moderately proficient on all knowledge areas and Passed.

My email id is bharathkumar2007@gmail.com.

I would be more happy to help anyone with any queries.

Special thanks to Bala.

Thanks,

- Bharath

33. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Bharath,

Thank you for such a detailed review this will be great help for all the PMP aspirants!
    I will go ahead and share the news of your success with Bala.

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh

34. Asim Jas

Asim Jas New Member

Hi All,
    I have just passed the PMP exam on 14th Dec16 in first attempt. The Simplilearn course material, classes and PMBOK are good for passing the examination. While you are studying, please ensure that you remember the ITTO for each knowledge area. Try to remember them logically and don"t stress your memory too much. You should be thorough in PERT, CPM, and Earned Value Management. I found the questions to be lengthy but simple and tests your understanding of the basics.You must go through all the topics of PMBOK and undergo mock test of Simplilearn. There are many sites which offer free mock test but no need to go through too many mock tests.
    Four hours time is just enough to complete the exam. If you find difficulty with some questions, mark the question and review it after you have completed all the questions.

35. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Asim,

We wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

36. ARUN S KUMAR

ARUN S KUMAR Active Member
    Alumni

Cleared my PMP exam today - First Attempt!!!

I would say that commitment and dedication is very important while attempting PMP exam. I took this opportunity to learn concepts I did not know which made studying much more fulfilling. Its pertinent to realize that daily PM practices and PMI recommended practices differ in concepts and procedures.

So HAVE A PLAN and STICK TO IT!!!!!!

First and Foremost --> Gauge your understanding about Project management concepts/terminologies. It’s a known fact that we do not use all the docs/concepts/practices recommended by PMI in our daily Project Management work. I would highly recommend to use PMBOK as your primary study material. Finish PMBOK once & go through a mock test. This will give you an idea about your weak areas in Project Management.

My inputs for preparing:

1. Strictly cover PMBOK (make notes) – Its dry and difficult. Try studying chapter by chapter. Must do this.
    2. Simplilearn classes, eBook and accompanying materials are helpful.
    3. ITTOs – No escape from this. I had at least approx. 50 questions which dealt with knowing these to answer them. Make your own notes for this. Understand the flow – what comes first, what goes to the next and what does it have.
    4. Any weak areas – Get in touch with our instructors in Simplilearn. Pls attend as much as batches as you can. This will help you understand the topics/areas much better than reading lot of materials.
    5. Rita Exam Prep – I used this to go through some areas that I found needed more focus to understand. Rita’s exercises and games make it interesting to learn.
    6. Practice Questions – PM challenge (got the DaVinci badge), Rita’s exam prep, Headfirst PMP questions, Oliver F. Lehmann questions and Simplilearn simulation tests. Pls understand why you got a question wrong while practicing. It’s of no use otherwise.
    7. PMBOK glossary – Refer during the final days of preparations.
    8. Being strong/confident in concepts/formulas helps you narrow down the correct answer.
    9. For calculation questions, I used Aileen Ellis’s books to practise – Earned Value, Contract & network diagrams. (50 questions – Mini eBooks – Free in Kindle Unlimited).
    10. Definitions – Pls memorise and Concepts – Understand it.
    11. Simplilearn PMP Forum helped a lot. I followed almost all the posts and kept track of questions and explanations shared. That itself came to about 80-100 questions easily.
    12. If you are not able to understand concepts/practice questions – Pls reach out to members in the Simplilearn forum and these guys are great with their explanations. Not happy, keep asking.

Exam Day:
    1. Stop reading materials except for your notes starting the previous day.
    2. Remember that you cannot use the initial 15 mins to brain dump in the prometric centre. Rules are changed. You can only start writing in the scrap paper provided after starting the exam. This makes it difficult to manage the 4 hrs. Plan it!
    3. Be calm and relaxed on the day. Just keep in mind that the world doesn’t stop if you are not able to clear on that day. You just get better with experiences.
    4. Don’t hurry while answering. This helped me a lot. There will be questions which you can answer at a glance and others which require more time to answer. Keep a balance.

Last but not least, I take this opportunity to thank Tim Jerome for his valuable inputs and classes. As he says, the more we learn the more he learns as well. It's been an absolute pleasure to attend his class.

Thanks to Simplilearn for the environment you create and the persistent support!!!!!

37. tim jerome

Trainer

Arun, you are the superhero - thank you for the incredible amount of detail. Your information and energy will propel many other attendees forward.

Looking forward to you, and the rest of our PMP recipients as peers and teachers -

38. ARUN S KUMAR

Alumni

Hi Tim - Thanks much

39. ARUN S KUMAR

Alumni

As Tim always advises --> Its important to go through the Exam Content Outline carefully. I came across a question in the Closing process group. If you are given a question who should accept the final deliverables of the project, the correct answer is relevant stakeholders if this option is given. This is per the exam content outline --> Obtain final acceptance of the project deliverables from relevant stakeholders in order to confirm that project scope and deliverables were achieved.

40. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Thank you Arun for your great inputs!

41. AVIJIT BANERJEE

Passed the PMP exam today. Proficient in Monitoring and Controlling and Moderately Proficient in other domains.
    I would like to thanks Simplilearn team and special thanks to Sridhar D for giving excellent training and guidance which paved the path for my success.

42. Sreidhar D(1820)

Sreidhar D(1820) Well-Known Member
    Alumni

HI Avijit,
    Congratulations ! on clearing the exam....
    I am very happy about your success and wish success in future too.
    Thanks
    Sridhar.D

43. AVIJIT BANERJEE

Thanks Sreidhar :)

44. Paritosh_7

Paritosh_7 Member

Hi Thanks for giving me the opportunity to write my success story in this forum. I hope this will help the aspiring managers looking for certification.

Since my starting of career as a software engineer I had seen many persons in my Company preparing for PMP certifications and few lucky and intelligent peoples were only able to clear the certification. I decided that time once I complete the requisite experience I will also give PMP certification.
    I had cleared my PMP certification last year on my first attempt.
    I had read once PMBOK book and then the guide from Andy to clear PMP in first attempt. I have correlated my project with the processes of PMBOK right from the start and finish of the project. As I have seen all the phases of my project I was able to map all the knowledge areas with my project phases and the only part was not able to map was of Contract Management. For this I had started reading the Project acquisition process in Government sectors by way of RFP, RFQ, EOI etc.

You should make a clear idea of Processes and Knowledge Areas and synchronize your project to these areas processes regularly. After getting good command on phases of project and the KA you can start doing the sample questions and take daily one mock PMP test for 15 days before exam.

This will give you confidence and also the stamina to sit at a stretch for the exam.

Thanks,
    Paritosh Sharma
    Noida, India

45. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Paritosh,

Thank you for such a detailed review. It will give confidence to all the PMP aspirants.

Regards,
    Priyamwada

46. Marc Miesing

Marc Miesing New Member

Just got my results back and passed the PMP exam. Special thanks to my instructor Sridhar D. who did a fantastic job in training and making the learning fun and enjoyable. Also big thanks to the rest of the Simplilearn team. The learning platforms and materials are top class!
    FullSizeRender.jpg

47. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Marc,

Many Congratulations on being PMI Certified ! I will go ahead and share the news of your success with Sridhar.

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh

48. Parag Sankla

Parag Sankla New Member
    Alumni

Hi All
    I passed my PMP certification examination with Proficient in 4 groups and moderately proficient in one group. Just wanted to share my experience and a brief summary of my study hoping it will help the aspirants.

1) I purchased the textbook and audio CD combo from Rita Mulcahy and used it as a main resource for the study. The audio files were very useful to listen to while driving from home to office, or even when walking on the treadmill for example.
    2) Two readings of the PMBOK (separated by 2 months duration) was very useful
    3) I also listened to the Simplilearn online videos on my laptop and even on my smartphone when reading was not possible
    4) I spent some time on memorizing the formulae but did not spend any time on the memorization chart
    5) I attempted all the practice tests on Simplilearn website but personally felt that there could have been more situation based questions
    6) The most important step I took was taking subscription of PM Prep-Cast by Cornelius Fichtner. I gave 7 tests with time check and this gave me a great deal of confidence
    7) I was mentally prepared that the brain-dump can not be started until you start the clock of the exam and it was not a big deal for me. I finished writing the formulae in about 3 minutes and then started the exam
    8) I marked about 45-50 questions and reviewed them before ending the exam in 3.5 hours
    9) At the end of the day, real life experience makes the difference when attempting many situational questions

I sincerely thank our instructor Bala and course co-ordinator Priyamwada Singh for the excellent training and support.

Wishing you all the best.

Priyamwada likes this.
  49. swapna_hawaldar(2506853)

swapna_hawaldar(2506853) Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Hi,

I cleared the exam yesterday. :) Moderately proficient in Initiation and Proficient in the other 4 process groups. Will put in my 2 cents worth tomorrow.

Special thanks to Tim Jerome and Samer Barakeh for patiently answering all my questions. I am sure they will heave a big sigh of relief on reading that I have passed. :)

Swapna

Priyamwada likes this.
  50. satish.billasonti

satish.billasonti Active Member
    Alumni

Swapna, Can I know what book you have fallowed for reading ...? Have you practiced any mocks rather than simplilearn simulation tests...?

With Regards,

Satish Billasonti