Share Your PMP Success Story!

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Shruti, Feb 9, 2015.

1. swapna_hawaldar(2506853)

swapna_hawaldar(2506853) Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Hi,

So here is my 2 cents worth on preparation and exam.

Preparation:

1. Many years ago I had taken one look at a PMBOK page a colleague was reading and decided that it is not my cup of tea. Frankly, it was drier than the Sahara. But the credit for changing my view goes to Head First PMP book. It's a fun way to learn and covers most of the concepts neatly. I loved the way it has explained the Critical Path Method and Earned Value Management. Once you pick up this book, it is difficult to put it down - take my word for it.

2. My next port of call was PMBOK. This one has to be read at least thrice - make sure you cover Time management, Cost management and Quality management chapters thoroughly. Also make sure you have a good grasp of ITTOs.

3. If possible, make notes of following for each process, knowledge area-wise - purpose, input, tools and outputs. You can carry the notes with you to office and keep referring to them as you get time throughout the day. Within days, you will get a good grasp of this important aspect. This list will also come in handy during last minute revision. Also make a word document of contents of all subsidiary plans so you can keep referring to it. I am attaching the document I made. Hope it helps you.

4. Simplilearn material - eBook, exercises and tests. After giving the test, make sure you go through the explanations of ALL the questions.

5. Go through the PMI Code of ethics, PMBOK glossary and new examination content online

6. Additional tests - I had time to do only mock test on www.oliverlehmann.com and 200 questions from Tutorialspoint.

7. Check the post by member Siggy on this thread. There are 2 pdfs of exam taking tips in it. Make sure you go through them. Also go through 'THE STRATEGIC APPROACH TO STANDARDIZED TESTING (PMP).pdf' from the course download section.

8. If you have any queries on the content, post them on the SimpliLearn forum. Someone will surely answer.

9. 3-4 days before the exam, make a list of things that you will go through on the day before the exam. No point in overloading your brain.

10. I didn't have time to go through Rita Mulcahy book so didn't purchase it.

Exam:

1. I was asked to reach the center an hour before the exam. Make sure you get clear directions in advance.

2. Carry your ID and copy of the appointment. Please note that the only 2 things that you can carry with you to the exam room are your locker key and your ID proof.

3. If you are going to need ear-pads make sure they are kept ready in the room. The center where I gave exam had them in each cubicle.

4. Please go through the tutorial at the start of the exam - even if it sounds easy. It has instructions on how to strike out options or how to highlight parts of the question. These things come in very handy while solving the questions.

5. DO NOT PANIC even if you have to mark first 5 or more questions for later review. I had to do that. But luckily I had read the PDFs from member Siggy's post and so knew that it can happen. You will get into the answering rhythm soon enough.

6. Make sure you keep an eye out for the clock every now and then. It is easy to lose track of time when you are answering a question. Remember the tip of 1 minute or less per question.

7. I finished my exam in 3.5 hours so had just enough time to go through marked questions. I would advise again to make good use of the facility to mark questions for later review.

All the best and may the Force be with you :)
    Swapna

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Kumar MV likes this.
  2. swapna_hawaldar(2506853)

swapna_hawaldar(2506853) Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Hi Satish,

Hope my post answered your queries.

Swapna

3. Priyamwada

Priyamwada Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Swapna,

Many Congratulations on being PMI Certified !
    I will go ahead and share the news of your success with Tim and Samer.
    We wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

Regards,
    Priyamwada

4. Srinjoy Panda

Srinjoy Panda New Member

Hi all...

I passed PMP today with 1P in planning and 4 MPs in the rest. The difficulty level was not easy at all. 90% questions were situation based. Many questions were very tricky (2 or 3 knowledge areas combined and trick of words). After 1 hour, I thought I would not pass as 50% answers were doubtful..slowly recovered by some means. Overall, I was not convinced with many of my answers (at least 30-35%). It took me 3.5 hrs to complete.

Be extremely clear in concepts across all the KAs and PGs. In my set, most questions were from risk, change management/request, quality and stakeholder. Very few questions were from cost, HR and communication. 8-10 numerical questions were there (all were easy) from network diagram/CPM, EV and EMV.

Mock wise....None of the mocks I gave (including simplilearn's) ,was even closer to the actual exam. Oliver Lehmann's ( 175+75 Q) were little tougher than real exam.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. _4143

_4143 Member
    Alumni

Hi,

I cleared PMP yesterday. Proficient in Planning and Executing while moderate proficient in others.
    Simplilearn ebook and simulation tests helped a lot. Other than these materials, I used Headfirst, PMBOK, PMPro (Mobile app) for my preparation.

I would like to mention that 80-85% of the questions were situational questions that required thinking and application of the materials. Practicing those type of questions will go a long way during the preparation.

Thanks

Uttam

6. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh
    GTA - PMP

7. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Srinjoy,

Thank you for such a detailed review this will be great help for all the PMP aspirants!

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh
    GTA- PMP

8. RAJAN DEY

RAJAN DEY Member

Wonderful write up ... you certainly have a lot of patience ...

9. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Many Congratulations on being PMI Certified Parag!!
    Thank you for such a detailed review.
    I will go ahead and share the news of your success with Bala.

A special thank you from my end for appreciating all the hard work :)

Regards,
    Priyamwada

10. RAJAN DEY

RAJAN DEY Member

I passed PMP on my first attempt on the 10th of May. It was a wonderful feeling as the amount of effort I had put in during the last few months of study have eventually paid off.

What had helped in pass the exam?

1. Prepared for 4 months, 1 hour a day during weekdays (atleast 3 days a week) and atleast 3-4 hours over the weekends, plus the only classes.
    2. Read PMBOK (5th edition) twice and noted few things for revision. Read only the marked points before the exam and nothing else.
    3. Read Rita Mulcahy atleast thrice. It had helped me in understanding the concept to a greater extent. Note: new book is quite expensive, so I bought a used one from infibeam, thus saved a lot of money.
    4. Read and memorized all the 47 processes. Not joking, I seriously did. Please note that memorization can be achieved by thorough understanding of the processes and answering some basic questions like why, how, what, when etc. Once you have clear answers to those questions, memorizing becomes easy and probably will stay in memory for long.
    5. Once I was ready with my preparation, I started with taking up mock tests. Did only the practice questions from SimpliLearn and Rita's book, nothing more. Nothing more is needed. Reading lots of blogs can confuse you. Also its not about the question that is being asked but the choices you are given to choose from. So I realized that solving more questions beyond a certain point will serve no good to me, and hence I restrained myself from taking any mock tests other than SimpliLean and Rita's. Thats it !
    6. All numeric questions should be answered correctly as those are the easiest ones and score cent percent.
    7. Negation is always the best way of approaching such exams. You will always be left with 2 choices after negating the other 2. Choose from those 2 and pick the best one (as per the situation in question).
    8. Knowing the inputs, outputs and tools & techniques of all the 47 processes had helped me a lot to chose the right answer quickly.
    9. I did not study the evening before the exam, just watched IPL and listened to music.
    10. On the day of my exam, I reached the centre 1 hour in advance, had some food and water (not much as it will force you to take loo break during the exam resulting in loosing precious time. Also there is a lengthy process of going through the security in Promatric everytime you need to enter the exam hall. I will not advice to go out of the exam room during that 4 hour window. )
    11. I had marked few questions for review and had reviewed them after marking the rest. Unfortunately, due to lack of time, I could not review all the marked questions, but that is ok as I did not leave them blank. I had already chose the best possible answer and had only marked them for review at the end if incase I have some time to review and change my answer if needed.

I hope this helps you. Wish you all the very best for your exam. Good luck and happy learning.

Priyamwada likes this.
  11. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Thank you for such a detailed review this will be great help for all the PMP aspirants!

Happy Leaning!!
    Priyamwada Singh - Global Teaching Assistant

12. M Manzoor Ul Hasan(2091)

I passed my PMP Certification yesterday. Honestly I do not think it's a difficult exam, but it's more about visualizing the concepts.
    Most of the questions in the exam won't be straight forward, you will be given situations and you need to apply your knowledge to determine the best solution (and very often there will be more than one correct answers).

As far as the preparation goes, I have followed this:

- Studied PMBOK 3 times
    - Studied Rita Mulcahy's book 3 times
    - Gone through limited number of simulation tests (Simplilearn 200 Question Test, Oliver Lehmann's 175 Questions & 75 questions, HeadFirst PMP Mock exam, Edwel Mock Exam of 75 Questions, 170 Questions from http://free.pm-exam-simulator.com).

13. _3791

_3791 Member

I passed!

Jan 2017 - Completed the SimplimLearn training
    Feb 2017 - Applied for the PMP exam
    Mar 2017- Got audited
    Apr 2017 - FAILED the audit (due to filling in the application forms incorrectly)
    May 2017 - Reapplied and passed the Audit (using the application advice mentioned below)
    May 25 2017 - PASSED the PMP exam

My advice for filling out the application form:

1. Use the tasks listed in the PMP Exam Outline, to assist in describing your project experience.

My advice for passing the PMP exam (how I did it):

1. Do the SimpliLearn training course.
    2. Read and complete Rita's book (at least twice).
    3. Also read the PMI Lexicon and PMI Code of Ethics.
    4. Sit a few simulation exams.
    5. Note any weak areas and focus on them, cross referencing the PMBOK.
    6. Create flash cards as you go.
    7. Sit a few more simulation exams.
    8. When you are getting 80% of more consistently, sit the exam.

Notes: The exam was around 20% more difficult than the simulation exams. I passed with Proficient and Moderately Proficient.

Regards,
    Sante

14. PRATIK KUMAR GUPTA

Alumni

Hi,

I Passed my PMP exam on May 27, 2017. Thanks a ton Simplilearn for the guidance.

Special thanks to Tim Jerome for his insights over topics during the classes.

Regards
    Pratik Gupta

15. VIJAYASHREE VINOD

VIJAYASHREE VINOD Active Member

I am absolutely over the moon today because I passed my PMP exam, in first attempt.

I would like to thank Simplilearn for being a major factor in my achievement and many thanks to the trainers Hemant, Tim and Siddharth. I participated in Hemant’s online training session from Feb 27-Mar 10 2017. And I also watched the recordings of the complete training conducted by Tim and Siddharth from one of their recent batches. I leveraged the Simplilearn model that enables us to attend several training sessions, online or offline. And since every trainer differs in his/her teaching style, knowledge, expertise, and experience level, this model definitely helped me understand the various concepts better.

That being said, the way I approached the exam is that once I was ~60% confident about my understanding, I booked my exam date but with just 1 month’s gap and that pushed me to study religiously. I felt that it was an aggressive decision but few personal things had compelled me to do so.

My preparation, other than taking Hemant, Tim and Siddharth’s sessions, involved going through the Simplilearn LMS content once, Simplilearn eBook once (same content as LMS but helped reinforce the concepts), and entire PMBOK guide once (I wish to have read it once more but I did not have time). And, I attempted a lot of questions; Simplilearn PMP master quiz, Simplilearn Practice Test Paper, Simplilearn Simulation Tests, HeadFirstPMP questions (shared by Siddharth in the forum), and was even able to answer close to 1000 questions correctly on the PMchallenge (www.projectmanagement.com) during this time. With all the wrong answers I gave in these tests, I learnt something from the explanation and that helped me a great deal.
    So overall, my learning sources were only Simplilearn and PMBOK guide and many many practice questions!

Lastly this forum is a very good platform for all our doubts and to learn from others’ questions. I would only request for queries to be answered by the trainers sooner.

So that’s my PMP success story. I wish the very best to everyone connected with Simplilearn!

PS: I have a special note for Tim Jerome.
    Tim, you would not know me other than through the forum questions, but I have watched your training offline, and want to let you know that I am a big fan of yours and really admire your patience, your knowledge, your training methodology and your personality that comes across so positively in the way you handle the participants. You are very inspiring!

16. _4663

_4663 Active Member

Hi,

Cleared my PMP in first attempt yesterday.

My PMP journey lasted 4 month. I am shareing my experience and suggestion. I have attended Sridhar, Siddharth and Tim(offline) classes. I feel I was lucky to do have the instructor in that mentioned sequence Sridhar classes prepare my fundamentals he will make your theory very strong, Siddharth has a more interactive approach it helps me build on what I knew. Having different perspective of the same scenario is very important. Tim's notepad works as an icing on the cake finish it off.

In addition to above I did the below

1. I followed simplilearn video thin the simplilern e-book and then I jumped to PMBOK. PMBOK language is not very easy the previous knowledge will help you to keep going,

2. Some of the video's on YouTube are very helpful, specially for people like me who are visual learners,

3. Went through special portions in Rita (tips and Tricks) and Head First(calculate float without doing forward backward pass),

4. I not only solved the simplilearn simulation paper but I /*studied*/ them. I feel knowing why the solution is this and why not the others will help you solve any variation of the same question. Always make sure the next simulation paper, your score is more than the previous one. I am refereeing to both attempting the same paper 2nd time(then compare to score of 1st time) or fresh attempt (compare it with last score of previous attempt). This way you can ensure you are improving.

5. Everyday did a few questions from PMChallage (projectmanagement.com) website. It help to prepare the mood. One thing very importance is that you have be in PMP mode all the time during this period (eat, drink and sleep PMP) and this help you be in that mode. Also it is a good pass time activity.

I would like to thank simplilearn team for their support.

best of luck to you all.

Regards,

Sanjay

The Novice likes this.
  17. Rajesh Verma

Rajesh Verma Active Member

Hi,
    Cleared my PMP exam today with 3 P's and 2 MP's.

What I found on exam and tips -
    1. ~ 15 questions from Initiation Phase ( Develop Project Charter & Identify Stakeholders Processes)
    For getting good hold on Develop Project Charter, relevant topic in Rita's book is sufficient
    2. ~ 10 questions on Close Project & Close Procourement processes
    3. ~ 20 questions on Change Management covering most of the process groups.
    Ensure you know the step wise process flow of change Management
    4. ~ 7 questions which required mathematical calculations. Covering float, EMV analysis & communication channels
    EMV calculations are best explained in the HeadFirst book.
    5. ~10 questions on procurement and risk management
    Rita's book is best for understanding the entire procurement process and it's interesting as well.

So, the above topics alone can fetch you around 60 questions right on exam.

And most important, almost all 200 questions were from topics/terms covered in PMBOK guide.

Thanks to my mentor Samer whose online sessions were extremely helpful.

Thanks Tim and Simplilearn Support team for clarifying my queries.

Regards,
    Rajesh

18. Nishad Tupe

Nishad Tupe Active Member
    Alumni

Hello,
    I am very happy to share today that I passed my PMP certification in the first attempt with 4 MP rating and one Below Proficient rating(Initiation). I would like to talk about my exam experience more than study strategy.

But before that, I would like to mention big thanks to Simplilearn team and my instructor Tim Jerome for all the help, support and sharing knowledge. It was great to see that simply learn team extended my E-learning access for few days considering my personal problem and this really stand out high on simply learn than any other training institute. Also, they have very good and reliable PMP forum.

So now my exam experience, hope it helps.
    I was scoring 75-80% on practice tests(average completion time 3.5 hours), so I was pretty sure to pass the actual test. However, as the exam started it was an altogether different story. I could only solve 30 questions in the 1st one hour. Questions were completely based on real work and choices were very close, especially choosing in the last 2 options (after elimination of 2) was almost impossible for me at that point.

Some basic precautions/tips helped me to the great extent which I would like to share here.
    - I had good sleep a day before which helped to remain fresh in the exam. I stopped studying on the previous day. Even did not prepare the Brain dump including the maths formulas.(If you know the logic they are not tough to memorize)
    - I had my meals in portions(neither starved nor full) before the exam and same with water intake and this allowed me to sit for 4 hours without taking the break and believe me it turned very crucial for my success (I had planned to take at least 2 breaks of minimum 8-10 mins each)
    - After the slow start, I decided to complete my exam i.e remaining 170 questions in 2.5 hours with 30 mins reserved for reviewing the marked questions. I used extensively the highlighter feature which helped me to keep my review questions to the low count. (Please go through tour before the exam it is important).
    - Instead, of 30 I just got 10 mins to review 15-20 marked questions, however, during the process, many paths were already open to know the correct answers. Unfortunately, despite doing a lot of practice, I did not get the time to solve few critical path queries, so my suggestion here is if you are not able to make it the maths question in 30 seconds just mark for review and do not get stuck.

At the end concepts matters, PMI is not going to test your memorization power. So my recommendation would be to remain active on the forums (many nice questions posted), attend simply learn lectures and even some youtube videos or web links. Clear your doubts (even if they sound silly), processes core concepts and tools techniques if you can do hands on great. Read correct answers as well as wrong answers after giving the exam, this is a great way to revise and see your thinking matches with PMI. In the exam do not take your personal experience into consideration instead wear the PMI hat i.e ideal PM philosophy.

How did you work your way for earning a PMP Certification? - 4-5 months studying below.
    What was your overall strategy? Rita 1 read, PMBOK 2 read, SMPL exams and exercises. Tim's lectures. Concepts from various links.
    I would encourage to take Christopher Scordo exams (I did not) and Rita QA exams(I did).
    Simplilearn can improve their exam questions and answers though.
    How did you manage your time? In last 1.5 month 2 hours in weekdays around 3-5 hours on weekend(each day). Before that average 1 hour a day no studies on weekend.
    Key points included in your brain dump? Never believed, however, I practiced process table from PMBOK and solved maths.
    Challenges and hurdles faced during this journey? etc... Key concepts of some of the tools and techniques and their actual application in real life.

PMP aspirants - Keep a close eye on this discussion to learn from others' experiences and also ask any query or share your feedback. Good Luck for your certification!

19. Shraddha Dubey

Shraddha Dubey Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Hello All,

I am happy to inform you that I have passed my PMP exam on Tuesday with 1 P (executing) and 4 MPs.
    I am very much grateful to Tim and Krishna for helping me in solving situational questions, which really helped me in exam.

My PMP story

After completing the Audit process, I started my actual preparation (3 months back) and really worked hard to grasp all the concepts.

I prepared my study schedule ( 2-4 hrs a day ) and strictly followed it (trust me it was tough to manage :), but results make everyone happy.)
    My first step of preparation was Tim's early morning sessions which helped me in going through all about PMP course and concepts. The sessions were awesome and made my life easier. After that, I started reading PMBOK, but I found it quite dry and uninteresting. So, I picked Rita's book and it was one of my best decision, i found it really really interesting. After 1 reading, I picked PMBOK again, this time, I found PMBOK quite easy to read. I read Rita (2 times with exercises) and PMBOK ( 2 times) and prepared my notes simultaneously. And then I started taking Simplilearn simulation exams. My scores were not that good 68%, 71%, 77%, 87% and 82%. To gain more confidence, I took PM Prepcast free quiz questions(80%), Oliver Lehman 175 questions (76%).

Time to time, I referred Pmstudy circle blog for understanding simple concepts. Members of Simplilearn forum guided me a lot specially Tim and Krishna. I watched izenbridge youtube session also for learning simple concepts like resource optimization, organizational structure etc..

One week before the exam, I went through all the chapter exercises of Rita's book to revise my concepts and my notes.

Also, initially I tried learning ITTO and tools and techniques. But I didnt able to learn ITTO and quit. Though I grasped all the tools and techniques of every single process . And trust me learning ITTO by heart doesnt help in exam. I got hardly a few ITTO related questions in exam which one can answer easily without remembering them. Yes, you can try to remember the different ITTOs like issue logs, risk register, stakeholder register, work performance reports.

One day before the exam, I stopped studying, not even my notes or braindumps. I relaxed and enjoyed with my family.

The Exam Day

My allotted slot was 12:30 pm, but I reached the center at 10:45, so they asked me to take the test immediately as one slot was available. So, I asked for 30 min to cool down myself .I didnt have any strategy in mind to write formulae or concepts to write on provided scratch paper before attempting questions, so I just started taking test. As I started, luckily, I got 10-15 questions really easy, which boosted my morale and confidence and then I didnt stop marking answers, though I was behind the timer throughout the test.
    As I reached 150th question, I started getting more and more situational questions and as I was already running short of time, I hardly got last 15 minutes to review all my marked answers (30). But, I was confident on my marked answers as well, as I had already spent a min for each of them. But after completing the feedback form, as I got the msg Congratulations on screen, I breathed a sigh of relief and was overwhelmed with happiness :).
    Though, my PMP exam journey was really hard specially with my 3 yr cranky kid :p But all's well that ends well :) Overall it was a wonderful experience and I am very much grateful to Simplilearn's team for all your help and support.

Thanks once again.

Shraddha

Priyamwada likes this.
  20. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Satish,

We would request you follow the below link which will answer your query.
    http://community.simplilearn.com/threads/passed-my-pmp-exam-in-first-attempt.22095/

Happy Learning!!

21. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Many congratulations on being PMI certified!
    Thank you so much for listing all the details precisely , it will be helpful for our PMP aspirants.
    We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Happy Learning!!

Shraddha Dubey likes this.
  22. _6899

_6899 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I finally cleared my PMP exam in first attempt, with 2P and 3MP. Thank you very much Tim, your sessions were very informative and helpful, and further to Simplilearn for the material and mock tests.

It took approx. 3 months to complete my preparation, where the first month was attending sessions, going through Simplilearn material and completing application process. For 2nd month, my focus was on the details, going through PMBOK, and supporting material available. 3rd month, the focus was on solving mock tests and sample questions available on different platforms (going through questions on a daily basis to cover different ways questions can be presented). You can find quite some tests and samples questions available online. While attempting these tests, review each answer feedback in detail and try to understand the thinking behind the reasons - this helped my apply the same in similar situations.

The final exam is indeed very exhausting, and can be difficult to concentrate for entire 4 hours, so make sure to prepare yourself well for this.

Thanks again,
    Rahul

Mukesh Sahu and Priyamwada like this.
  23. Tina_20

Tina_20 Member

Dear all,

I finished my exam successfully last week and wanted to share my journey with you:

What I used:
    1. PMBOK - as the "bible" and master source
    2. Head First PMP - 3rd Edition -- This book really helped as it is more interactive and that's what I need. If I studied to much with the PMBOK it is hard for me to focus and stay on the topic. I liked the Head First language and interactive parts for that matter best.
    3. Simplilearn - I bought the Online Classroom Pass and attended classes lead by Timm to earn the necessary PDU and understand the content. I liked the online classroom with real people to ask questions and not just you and the book.
    4. I wrote my own summary out of all the above and while doing plenty of questions captured a "lessons learned" and reviewed every single question - not just the ones I got wrong, but also made sure why the correct ones are correct.
    5. I made my own process overview/ flow chart with all ITTOs and that helped a lot for the big picture and how everything goes together.
    6. I checked the PMI Exam Outline: Some questions might refer to it and sometimes the wording can be somewhat the same in the answers, then it is very important to know the "proper" answer.

Where I found questions:
    1. Head First comes with some at the end of each chapter and a big practice test at the end of the book: I manged about 85% right and was very excited about the good outcome
    2. Simplilearn practice tests:
    1. Test: 65%
    2. Test: 68%
    3. Test: 71%
    4. Test: 78%
    5. Test: 83%
    3. PM challenge on projectmangement.com: it's pretty good for warming up, just don't get confused by the Agile related questions. I just skipped them.

Finding a test center:
    As I currently live in China this part wasn't easy. Prometric doesn't do computer based tests in China and hence there should be a paper based alternative. After contacting PMI, I received an email address and mailed several times. I never got an answer.
    Finally after getting all the paperwork ready and being approved by PMI to take the test, I settled on flying to Hong Kong and taking it there. That seemed the easiest way.

The day of the test:
    1. I flew to Hong Kong the day prior but thanks to many delays only got to sleep like 3h - and that wasn't the plan at all. Maybe a day in between would have been good.
    2. In the morning I went to the area where the test center should be with 50min to spare before the test should start. It took me more than half an hour and many questions to the locals to finally find the place as there were no signs or even anything else than Chinese characters. But I made it ten minutes before the test should start. Another lesson learned: If you can, go and check the location before the test day to make sure you know your directions well and don't waste time as I did.
    3. I entered the waiting area where a lady was already doing an introduction in Cantonese before disappearing. I sat there for about 45min before one of the other people asked me why I don't have a number yet, but basically nobody cared for the "foreigner" and bothered to talk to me in a language I understand. All was done in Cantonese. Finally they acknowledged my existence thanks to the fellow test taker that asked them and I got handed a number. I waited more than an hour to be called for the security process even though the test start time was 9:00am, I finally sat at the computer at around 10:30am.
    4. I had brought enough water and some cereal bars to keep me entertain while waiting and to have water during the breaks.
    5. I took two breaks: after 100 questions/ app. 1h15min and after 200 questions/ 3h20min, before reviewing the marked questions and random questions for the last half hour.
    6. The security check at the beginning and coming back after each break can be a bit cumbersome:
    • if you have contact lenses use them that day - I used my glasses and just to check my frameless lenses took them like 3min each time
    • if you bring a jacket / scarf for the freezer they call exam room, like me - leave them inside before you leave on break otherwise they will have to check all over, every pocket etc. every time the article of clothing leaves the room
    • there were only two people for the CCTV and the security check in the room next to the exam room - I had to wait for my turn if I went outside and someone else came back from a break as well, so plan ahead or maybe try to take your breaks when nobody else is outside right now. Hopefully there will be more people checking and signing people in/out than in Hong Kong but it all takes time and these are easily 5min you miss for checking questions etc.
    7. The tutorial asks you if you want to continue with the keyboard / digital calculator - I asked for a physical calculator as it is easier for me and also the keyboard keys were a bit stuck and unresponsive when I tried.
    8. I really liked the test program as it lets you highlight words or phrases, cross out answers etc. This makes it quite easy to review and trace back your thoughts.

--------------
    I guess based on the practice test scores I shouldn't have taken the test at all but I had to do it as early as possible as I will leave Asia soon and with the logistics connected to my situation I had to plan ahead. Once you booked your exam day, hotel and flights you are committed and I thought I do it no matter the outcome, as it would have been much more costly to change the date again then having to pay the exam fee again if I would fail. Well it really took a leap of faith, but thankfully it all worked out.

Well I think this is it for now - plenty lessons learned I say ;)

Prakash_108 and Priyamwada like this.
  24. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

It is inspirational to witness hard work finally give birth to success.
    Many Congratulations on becoming PMI certified.
    We wish you all the best for your future endeavours!

Warm Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh

25. Prakash_108

Prakash_108 Customer
    Customer

26. Prakash_108

Prakash_108 Customer
    Customer

Your story is really a inspiration to all of us..congratulations :)

27. Basanth_2

Basanth_2 Member
    Alumni

Cleared my PMP

Had taken my prep classes on July'16. And couldn’t put much effort on exam preparation since then, thanks to my busy schedule @Work and my super power - procrastinate.

Finally mid-August this year decided to give it a shot.

Scheduled the appointment with Prometric for 30th Aug and started preparing from the 19th Aug (took off from my work & focused fully on exam preparation for 10 days ~8-14 hrs a day)

Pre-work done before the actual preparation (July-16 - July-17):

1. Attended Tim's class of July'16. -80 -90% of the class.
    2. Watched simplilearn Videos (of lessons ) & gave 1 simplilearn simulation test (this was mainly to unlock my PDU's)

Actual Exam Preparation (19-Aug'17 to 28-Aug'17)

Study Materials :

1. Class recording of Tim Jerome ( from April'17) - Thanks to simplilearn support team for sharing the recordings and all the attendees who were part of the class (asking the right questions on my behalf, most of the time :))
    2. PMBOK : Only to refer, mostly wherever I felt more reading is required on certain topic.
    3. Simplilearn eBook, Brain Dump
    4. Notes I prepared while watching the class recording & referring to PMBOK

Practice Test :

1. Questions from simplilearn eBook (couldn’t give the simulation test from simplilearn as the course had expired)
    2. PMP Exam Mentor App.

Thanks Tim, You make the classes very interesting never felt for a sec I was watching the recordings; appreciate the level of detail & patience you put in while explaining doubts/questions.

Basanth

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Tanmoy_13 likes this.
  28. Tanmoy_13

Tanmoy_13 Active Member

Wow Basanth, that must've been an awesome sprint! Kudos and Congrats!

29. Ravi Vyas

Ravi Vyas Member

PMP® Certification is a Confidence booster along with Career Enhancer. That is why I have selected to pursue the same. The journey was great and today I got certified.

No doubt feeling is AWESOME :).

So……………..

How did you work your way for earning a PMP Certification?
    As all PMP aspirate agree that Preparation for PMP Certification is a Project itself and that is exactly what needed to get the certification. I have taken this project with specific Goal and fixed End Date in Mind. It helped me to plan the preparation.
    Project Objective: To get PMP Certification
    Project End Date: 30-Sep-2017 ( I Begin P)
    Project Sponsor: Myself ;).
    Stakeholders: Me, Simplilearn, PMI Institute, Faculty Mr. KK (Thanks KK for your Support :))
    Resources:
    Material from Simplilearn Course, PMBOK official guide.
    Key Deliverables: All chapters from PMBOK.
    Quality Check: Five Simulation Exam by Simplilearn
    Quality Assurance: Project Submitted to Simplilearn team.

What was your overall strategy?
    My Overall Strategy was quite simple, is to take Preparation as project and work on each topic assuming those as Deliverables. I have followed the material from single source that is Simplilearn. Have taken Simulation Exams seriously along with Project.
    One important point , for topics which were not clear to me I search them on Youtube and found many relevant videos, this helped me a lot.(for E.g. 7 Quality Control Methods)

How did you manage your time?
    Since I have considered this as project, I have Monitored and Controlled my progress every day. Whenever I feel that I am behind schedule then used Options to Cover the gap.

Key points included in your brain dump?
    • Formulas from Simplilearn Material.
    • Process charts.

Challenges and hurdles faced during this journey?
    Managing Office work along with Study was huge challenge for working professional.
    Also it is important to keep focus on the target.

Priyamwada likes this.
  30. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for such an insightful feedback like a true Project Manager.
    Your dedication, enthusiasm and insight are really inspiring.
    You deserve all the great things that are coming. Enjoy!

Happy Learning!!

31. amogh kutumbe

amogh kutumbe New Member

http://passinpmpin100days.blogspot.in/2017/09/my-way-of-passing-pmp-in-100-days-i.html

32. PRITAM HAZRA

PRITAM HAZRA Member

Hello Simplilearn,

I cleared my PMP exam today with 3 above target and 2 target. Thanks a ton to entire Simplilearn family to make it a successful jouney.

Thanks & Regards,
    Pritam

Priyamwada likes this.
  33. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Happy Learning!!

34. Rajesh Ranganathan

Good Day!

I cleared my PMP today (25September2017). I scored 4 above target and 1 on Target (planning).

Would like to thank my trainer Tim Jerome for his style of coaching. He makes it look very easy:)

It has been a great journey for me. A lot of learning and working through.

- Read PMBOK from multiple angles.
    - Sometimes you have to read it like a "student" and many times like a "professional".
    - The beauty of PMP is to convert PMBOK to real life use.

There are many veterans here and I am sure they have already shared a huge amount of info.
    Thanks to Simplilearn and their staff.

Warm Regards,
    RRanga

35. Support Simplilearn(4685)

Alumni

Hi Rajesh,

Many congratulations on being PMI certified.
    We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Happy Learning!!

36. _8885

_8885 Member

Hi,

Yesterday i have cleared my PMP exam with Above Target.

I wanted to say thanks to my instructor Krishna Sir and Tim for clarifying all my doubt in forum.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Abhishek

37. Manjunath Hirapurshi

Alumni

Passed PMP yesterday. Thank you Siddarth for your guidance

38. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Abhishek,

Many congratulations on being PMP certified.
    We wish you all the best for your future endeavours

Regards,
    Mukesh

39. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Manjunath,

Many congratulations on being PMI certified.

Regards,
    Mukesh

40. Adarsh Nayak

Adarsh Nayak New Member

Hi,
    I have passed PMP with Above target in all Domain.

Thank you
    Adarsh Nayak

Mukesh Sahu likes this.
  41. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Adarsh,

Many congratulations on being PMP certified.

Regards,
    Mukesh

42. ANSHUDEEP SINHA

ANSHUDEEP SINHA New Member

Hi,

I have passed the PMP certification exam with Above target in 3 Domains and Target in 2 domains.

Special thanks to Mr. Kumar (faculty) and Simplilearn Support.

Couldn't have been possible without your support and guidance!

Thank You,
    Anshudeep

43. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Anshudeep,

Congratulations on being PMP certified.

We wish you all the best for your future endeavor.

44. Sourav Dutta_3

Alumni

Hi All,

I cleared PMP exam yesterday at my first attempt. I got "above target" in three domains and "target" in two - overall achieved "above target". Passing the exam gave me a great sense of relief! My three to four months of hard work has finally paid off.

Preparation
    ===========
    For me PMP was not just passing the exam; I also wanted to strengthen my Project Management knowledge so that I can apply it in my profession more effectively. Therefore, frankly speaking, I prepared rather hard. Others do not have to necessarily follow exactly how I prepared but these are what I did -

(1) Simplilearn was a great help in my preparation. The materials were of great quality and the live classes of Tim Jerome were simply superb (please convey my special thanks to Tim). The five mock tests were quite challenging and achieving 80% and more in two of those tests were great morale boosting for me. I painstakingly went through the answers of all of my wrong attempts. I also submitted both projects (although only one was mandatory for 35 credit hrs) which forced me to search through a great deal of different materials and helped me to learn at least two knowledge areas (namely procurement and quality) thoroughly.
    (2) Read PMBOK, PMI code of ethics in detail.
    (3) Referred to RITA's book and chapter-end Q&A.
    (4) Searched through the internet for great deal of concepts.
    (5) Attempted Oliver Lehmann's two free practice exams - of 75 and 175 questions respectively and analyzed answers as much as possible (questions are tough and thought provoking; but keep in mind - most answers are not given in detail; also shorter exam is online while the longer one is offline).
    (6) Attemptted 1 full 200-questions practice exam (out of 2 exams provided) of https://pmstudycircle.com/ 's question bank and analyzed answers of all my wrong choices. The QB is not free, costs Rs 324 only but worth the cost as questions are tough and answers are given in detail; the exams are offline though.
    (7) Attempted free online time bound tests (shorter time-bound online tests of only 15 / 30 questions) from https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/ and analyzed all my answers.
    (8) I prepared my own MS-Word notes (often with diagrams) for each PMBOK chapter. I referred to my notes whenever I felt to do.
    (9) Last but not the least - ITTO. ITTOs are always a challenge because I am not at all good in memorizing. To experiment with myself, I prepared an excel where I dumped all ITTOS of all processes in one sheet in successive columns namely "Process Group" | "Knowledge Area" | "Process Name" | "Inputs" | "Tools & Techniques" | "Outputs". I then played around by filtering by a specific input or a T&T or an output and tried to do some analysis by filtering through the columns. This helped me learn a few things (like which processes have input as risk register and in what way these processes are related to each other etc.) but it still left a wide gap in my learning ITTOs. Therefore, I did not spend too much time and had to leave ITTOs to whatever analytical skill and judgement power I have.

The real PMP exam
    ==================
    I found my PMP exam rather tough in the sense that most of the questions were ITTO and situational types (only a handful formula based) and answers were not readily available in my mind!! I took a great deal of time to answer each question and had to rely on my full analytical and judgement powers. It took me a good 3 hrs 25 mins to answer all 200 questions (quite unlike the mock exams most of which I managed to finish in less than 3 hrs) and in the process I had marked a good number of questions for review. I then started reviewing marked questions but next 35 mins were not sufficient to review all my marked questions and I had to press end button. I feared for the worst but was surprised to see that I have passed rather well!!

My mantra is work hard and be prepared for any situation.

Thanks,
    Sourav

Manjul likes this.
  45. Vivek Jajur Thippeswamy

Alumni

Hi,

In November 2017, I passed PMP exam in first attempt with 'Above Target' performance rating in all Process Groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and Closing). 'Above Target' is the highest performance rating in PMP exam. I suggest following KISS (Keep It Short & Simple) approach instead of reading too many books, watching too many videos and taking too many sample tests. With PMP exam changing from 26th March 2018, I believe that there is still enough time to make it even if you start now. Refer my blog https://pmpabovetarget.blogspot.in/ for detailed information on the KISS approach.

Thanks to Simplilearn team for activating my subscription to take sample tests after my subscription to PMP course had expired. Overall, I have had a good experience with Simplilearn. The 'Customer Delight' team of Simplilearn did delight me.

Thanks to all the people who shared their experience about PMP exam on this community. It helped me prepare well for the exam.

Below is the summary of KISS (Keep It Short & Simple) approach, from my perspective and experience, to pass PMP exam in the first attempt:
    1. Check if you meet the prerequisites to take PMP exam
    2. Submit the application for PMP exam
    3. Start reading latest edition of Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep before reading PMBoK
    4. As soon as your application is accepted, schedule the exam factoring the effort to prepare for the exam. For someone like me who prefers studying at a slow pace, I suggest factoring 180 hours of effort.
    5. Read PMBoK after reading Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep
    6. Highlight important points when you are reading PMP Exam Prep and PMBoK
    7. Read PMP Exam Prep and PMBoK in detail once and revise them twice
    8. Prepare a list of all the formulas and revise them
    9. Take at least 3 practice tests which simulate the actual exam
    10. If you have not been able to complete the above steps 31 calendar days before the actual date of the exam or if you are not feeling confident based on your performance in practice tests, consider rescheduling the exam to a later date.
    Detailed information on each of the above steps is available on my blog https://pmpabovetarget.blogspot.in/

All the best!

Regards,
    Vivek
    https://pmpabovetarget.blogspot.in/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Priyamwada likes this.
  46. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Vivek,

Many Congratulations on being PMI Certified.
    We wish you many years of great achievements!

Happy Learning!!

47. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Sourav,

Congratulations on being PMI certified professional!
    Your dedication, enthusiasm and insights are really inspiring. We wish you many years of great achievements!

Happy Learning!!

Sourav Dutta_3 likes this.
  48. Chetana_2

Chetana_2 New Member

Hi All,

Cleared my PMP exam this week on first attempt with an above target rating! Thanks to the Simplilearn coach Sachin Goswami (please convey my thanks to him) and the support team for helping me achieve my target of the finishing the exam in 2 months!

With an intention to get the PMP credential, I had joined the simplilearn course on 10th Oct and attended weekend batch starting from 21st Oct 2017. The classes and the online lessons helped me build the foundation and understand critical concepts. Post that, multiple reads of the PMBOK along with one read of Rita Mulchahy 8th edition helped me acquire the necessary knowledge to take up the exam.

Wishing best of luck to other PMP aspirants and looking forward to get better with my job and advance my career with this certification!

Regards,
    Chetana

49. Sridhar Bala

Sridhar Bala New Member

Dear All,

I passed my PMP certification today in the first attempt. Simplilearn ebook and simulation tests helped me a lot. Apart from Simplilearn materials, I once read through Headfirst, PMBOK & Rita for my preparation. Overall I took 6 simulation tests (5 from Simplilearn and 1 from Headfirst) for my exam preparation.

I would like to thank Bala & Tim for their excellent training and guidance which paved the path for my success. Special thanks to Priyamwada and support team, for helping me as and when needed.

Wish you all the best of luck!

Cheers,
    Sridhar

50. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Congratulations Sridhar on Being PMP certified.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavor.