Share Your PMP Success Story!

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Shruti, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dhananjay_3

Dhananjay_3 New Member
    Alumni

Hello Group Admin/ Members,

Have appeared and cleared PMP Exam on 26th December, Glad to share that scoring was "Target" for Planning and "Above Target" for rest of the domain. Special Thanks to KK (Coach of online training) and all Simplilearn team to build the foundation.

Had started in month of September with a thought process to repeat the classes/training but first session gave me enough background to do self study and prepare to appear for the exam.

Have gone through multiple books, online tutorials, Mobile app for accessing anytime (Considering working schedule), attempted multiple question banks and browsed for confusing topics over the internet.

My suggestion to PMP aspirants follow one particular book and attempt minimum of 2k-2.5k questions before registering for the exam.

All the very best !!

Regards,
    DJ

Priyamwada likes this.
  2. Priyamwada

Priyamwada Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support

Many Congratulations on being PMI Certified !
    We wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh
    GTA - PMP

Dhananjay_3 likes this.
  3. NITIN CHANDRA BHARDWAJ

Hi,

PMP exam seemed to be test of i) your understanding of the subject and ii) logical/reasoning ability and iii) English/reading comprehension

Cleared the exam on 12th Dec 2017. Out of 5 areas, got "Above target" in 4, and "on target" in 1.

What worked- a 2 month plan...out of which last 10 days was only revision!!

1. Simplilearn material is a well-simplified summary...went through it thoroughly. Took all simulation tests ..no external simulation tests undertaken
    2. PMP Headfirst - read thrice....underlined/circled and memorized important stuff....took all questions
    3. RIta Mulcahy (akin to Bible of PMP)....went over it thrice....and took advise/tips seriously...Practised formulae till comfort level was reached...Took TIPS and TRICKS OF THE TRADE seriously with Rita Mulcahy's book...and went through all tests, esp. understood WHY AN OPTION was incorrect...It worked well, esp.ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM

Didn't read pmbok....which really didn't impact one bit...in my case. Although, one should perhaps go through it atleast once.

Once this was in place, revised the stuff....and ON THE DAY OF EXAM, ON EACH AND EVERY QUESTION, progressed PATIENTLY and WITHOUT PANIC!

Applied whatever I learnt in headfirst, Rita Mulcahy....on the DAY OF THE EXAM.

Towards the end of the exam, felt that once understanding is in place, its more of a "test of reasoning and english"!

Best wishes to one and all...
    NCB

Priyamwada likes this.
  4. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Happy Learning!
    Priyamwada Singh - Global Teaching Assistant

5. Randhir Kumar_1

Randhir Kumar_1 New Member

Hello Group Admin/ Members,

Have appeared and cleared PMP Exam on 29th January 2018, Glad to share that scoring was "Target" for Closing and "Above Target" for rest of the domain. Special Thanks to Tim (Coach of online training) and all Simplilearn team to build the foundation.

Had started in month of July 2017 with a thought process to repeat the classes/training but first session gave me enough background to do self study and prepare to appear for the exam.

Have gone through multiple books, online tutorials, Mobile app for accessing anytime (Considering working schedule), attempted multiple question banks and browsed for confusing topics over the internet.

My suggestion to PMP aspirants follow one particular book and attempt minimum of 2k-2.5k questions before registering for the exam.

All the very best !!

Regards,
    Randhir

6. _8843

_8843 Member
    Alumni

Hello Everone

Too happy to share that i cleared PMP Exam on 5th February 2018

Special thanks to Sridhar sir and Simplilearn team

I had taken simplilearn virtual classes in month of July 2017 I followed the process map as per Sridhar sir.
    I referred simpplilearn exercises, Rita Mulcahy, Oliverlehmann and attempted 2500 questions !
    All the best to all other aspirants
    Ritesh Pandey

7. _11485

_11485 Member

Hi All,

Happy to inform that i cleared PMP exam today (6th Feb 2018).
    I attended the LVC taken by Tim in October and went through the Simplilearn training materials and mocks tests which was the foundation for my preparation along with PMBOK.

Thanks to Tim and Simplilearn for the support and guidance.

Thanks
    Nitha

8. Rupa Rajagopalan

I cleared the exam on Feb 7th. Overall Rating - Above Target!:)

9. Aws Nabeel Shehab

How did you work your way for earning a PMP Certification?

I have attend 2 day comprehensive course for PMP it was my starting point to Learn about the Project Management. i have studied the pmbok 1 time then study rita book 1 time as well. but i didn't pass from the first try.

then i have decide to go for online course. i have started with simplilearn

What was your overall strategy? strategy was set to understand the big picture of applying knowledge on situations and problems in projects.
    How did you manage your time? Time was planned base on 1 KE in 2 days reading understand solve quizzes.
    Key points included in your brain dump? Key Point was PMBOK that have been provide by Simplilearn Plus the tips and tricks as well.
    Challenges and hurdles faced during this journey? challenge was the connections between knowledge areas ex "how procurement has connection with human resource" and the effect of change and how to manage changes in project.

Thanks to Mr. Chandra for his valuable training sessions. PMP exam cleared and earned with help of God and simplilearn.

Regards,

10. Shashank Vardhan

Hello Everyone.

Too happy to share that i cleared PMP Exam on 12th February 2018
    Special thanks to Sridhar sir and Simplilearn team.
    Overall score above target.

Thank you

Jatin Dadlani likes this.
  11. Mikesh

Mikesh New Member

Hi,
    Cleared the exam (First attempt, Above target) today. Thanks to Tim's class et al.

However this writeup is not to brag but to help those preparing. No matter what you hear - this is not an easy exam by any standard. Don't underestimate the physical (noise levels, temperature in room) and mental stamina (constant self doubt, time pressure, review time) required to complete this exam.

My personal advice is to have a exam taking strategy. This strategy is best explained towards the end of the SimpiliLearn's sessions.

Study topics keeping a "scenario" based approach in mind. Practice as many scenario based questions. Don't simply rely on reading the material. Analyse your knowledge gaps. You should know your stuff without referring to material or else its constant self doubt during the exam. Take it when you feel confident.

Good luck!

12. _8607

_8607 Member

Dear All,

Have cleared my PMP Exam yesterday on first attempt.

@tim jerome

Special thanks to you Tim!
    "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." – William Arthur Ward

It wouldn't have been possible without your comprehensive training. You have been very approachable!
    Also, the books you had suggested upon my request have brought a great change in my perspective about life.

Thank you Simplilearn Team!

Wish all the PMP aspirants good luck!

My PMP preparation path:

1. Tim's classes
    2. Simplilearn learning hours videos
    3. PMBoK guide
    4. HeadFirst PMP
    5. Simplilearn tests

Sameer Nayak likes this.
  13. anshulshirke

anshulshirke Member

Cleared the Exam in first attempt on Monday, 19 Feb 2017. Took 3 hours 50 minutes to finish all questions.

Started with SimpliLearn training on 24 Nov, finished on 16 Dec. Completed Simulation test 01 and Project and unlocked certificate on 25 Dec. Applied for Certification to PMI and received approval on 31 Dec midnight. Scheduled the exam for 19 Feb.

Preparation in order below:

1. Read PMBOK Once.
    2. Took 2nd and 3rd SimpliLearn Tests. Scored 62% and 67% respectively. Did not answer questions I was not sure about to make sure I get the score in line with my knowledge.
    3. Revised all answers for the 2 tests taken and understood justification for each answer.
    4. Solved all end of chapter questions in Rita Mulcahy's book BEFORE reading the book to understand where do I stand.
    5. Took SimpliLearn Test 04, scored 72.5%
    6. Read Rita Mulcahy's book.
    7. Took SimpliLearn Test 05 a day before actual exam, scored 74.5%
    8. Took Actual exam on 19 Feb, result PASS - Overall Above Target;
    Initiating : Above Target, Planning : Above Target, Executing : Target, M&C : Above Target, Closing : Below Target

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. Sameer Nayak

Sameer Nayak Active Member

Congrats!

15. Sameer Nayak

Hello,

Finally it's my turn!

Passed the PMP exam today with an "Above Target" rating in all 5 process groups. Thanks to Mr. Tim Jerome for laying a great foundation. The following is my journey.
    1. Took the Simplilearn Virtual Classroom Training back in fall of 2016.
    2. Read PMBOK for the first time during summer of 2017.
    3. Read PMBOK again during Christmas/New years
    4. Started sample tests from Jan 6th 2018. Here are my scores.
    5. SimpliLearn Test #1 - 70%
    6. SimpliLearn Test #2 - 72%
    7. SimpliLearn Test #3 - 76%
    8. SimpliLearn Test #4 - 78%
    9. SimpliLearn Test #5 - 81%
    10. Oliver Lehmann (175 Qs) - 76%
    11. PMStudy Test#1 - 81%
    12. PMStudy Test#2 - 81%
    13. PMStudy Test#3 - 80%
    14. PMStudy Test#4 - 89%
    15. Headfirst Free Test - 86%
    16. Of course it took a lot of studying in between these tests to improve on weak areas.
    17. Cross referenced other books like Headfirst and Rita Mulcahy both of which are excellent.
    18. Read PMBOK again before exam to understand ITTO's as I couldn't memorize them.
    19. The real PMP exam is much harder than any of these tests and it pays to prepare well.
    Good luck!!!

16. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi All,

Happy Learning!
    Priyamwada Singh - Global Teaching Assistant

17. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh
    GTA - PMP

18. Mark_90

Mark_90 Active Member

First I would like to say a very special thank you to Tim and the Simplilearn team.

I passed my exam yesterday. I finished in just under 3 hrs. I took one break after 100 questions then another once I completed the final 100. Then I came back and re-reviewed the questions I had marked until my time was up.

How I went through the process in preparation?

- Simplilearn videos
    - Tim's classes once
    - Read the PMBoK guide
    - Researched areas that I need more upstanding
    - Simplilearn simulation 1 & 2
    - Read an understood the one I got wrong but also why I got the correct ones right for each exam
    - Simplilearn simulation 3 & 4
    - Read an understood the one I got wrong but also why I got the correct ones right for each exam
    - Simplilearn simulation 5
    - All the while I was on the forums reviewing posts.
    - reviewed my edited version of Simplilearn's braindump morning before my exam

For me 98% my questions were all situational in every KA and process groups. The 4 that I got that included any actual calculations were 2 critical path method questions will I calculated LS-ES to figure out which tasks was on the critical path and the one PERT question and for some reason I am drawing a blank on the last one.

Also during the exam I realized why Tim answers questions the way he does in the forums including the process of elimination. I believe that reason is show us how to properly to do deductive reasoning and help us though the analyzing the answers. Tim you can correct me if I am wrong. But thanks that did help during the exam when I felt lost.

Hope this can help someone else as well.

19. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Congratulations on Being PMP Certified.

20. _14574

_14574 Member

Sameer,
    How were you able to get the PMStudy Simulated Tests? Did you purchase their program?

Thanks,
    Pankaj

21. _4731

_4731 Member

Hi guys,
    i nailed my PMP today.

For those who want to clear before the change in syllable,
    my learning strategy focused on

MATERIALS
    Simplilearn trial question - all 5
    PMBOK 5th edition
    Rita 8th edition
    Mobile apps (PMP EXAM prep pro, PMP pro, PMP200,PMP Formula ) all on android and a couple on ios

STRATEGY

Atleast try 100 questions each day then u hit the simplilearn simulated exam every 3days to keep you up with things.
    Study the ITTOs strategically. study 2 processes a day and use the pmp exam prep pro to test your progress.
    Try all quizes after each chapter from Rita McCauley
    Know all Earned value formulae especially EAC and TCPI. Remember to add PERT

OBSERVATIONS
    more questions on ITTOs
    few calculation questions but had to combine two formulae
    Mark demanding questions for review on first run and review all after the 200th ques
    Be assured that contract questions can be tricky hence deeper understand is required (refer to Rita)

I think some rules have changed with the prometric centers, i was told "you will not get the pencil until I see question 1". This is what the prometric Center Assistant told me.

This affected my time as i had to use my test time to do the dumping of the 47 processes and other stuff unto the paper.

All the best guys

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  22. Vani_2693

Vani_2693 New Member

Hi Sameer. Thank you for the detailed explanation of your training path. Where did you purchase the books from? PMBOK, Rita Mulcahy, Headfirst. Were these recommened to you?

Thanks in advance for your response :) Looking forward.

23. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Congratulations on being PMP certified. All the Best.

24. Jinho

Jinho Member

I Passed PMP for the second time.
    - Preparation course: Simplilearn. (Attended online course in 2017)
    - Reason to fail for the first time: I set the exam date before I got the certain exam score. Therefore I was rushed to prepare for the exam which was trying to memorize as much as I could. Obviously, it didn't work.
    - Study Strategy: Try to study EVERYDAY at least 1-2 hours.
    - Material that Use: Simplilearn material and PMBOK book as a reference. (I really try to understand how PMBOK words the definitions/concepts.)
    - Once I went over all processes and Knowledge areas, I start to take a mock exam. Below the list is most useful I found.
    https://pmstudycircle.com/study-notes/ : Highly recommend. compare / explained concepts / definitions. Especially it was not always easy to understand from PMBOK book since it uses very academic vocabularies. (English is my second language)
    https://www.preparepm.com/mock1.html : Helpful to check your definitions/ understanding of concepts. Simply questions, not many situational questions.
    https://pmstudycircle.com/2016/11/free-pmp-exam-sample-questions/ : Provide comprehensive answers which were super helpful. Because of this, I was not a big fan of Oliver Lehmann's questions. answers are too simple.
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/PMP/pmp_exam/v2/quiz.html : Very helpful. Comprehensive answers.
    https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmp-practice-exam-questions-sample-test : Very helpful. Same reason as Headfirstlabs's one.

- If I had to pick one thing worked for me was reviewing answers with PMBOK / Internet material. There are many good resources to help me to understand confusing concepts.
    - Exam Strategy: Use language aid when you take an exam, Firstly, it's free. It will save time to understand the questions quickly and correctly.. I read questions in Korea first and scan quickly in English and highlighted. (Since I studied with English material, It was easier to find the clue for the answer to the questions in English.

I wish everyone a good luck and pass the PMP.
    It is really great feeling when you do.

25. Ritesh Kumar_9

Hello,

Feeling Wonderful !!! Passed the PMP exam today with an "Above Target" rating in all 5 process groups. Thanks to Mr. Tim Jerome and Dorairaj Sridhar for guiding through my journey.Also material provided by Simplilearn is high on quality and sufficient(just Enough) for laying Foundation for same.

My Journey is simply a Project planed using lifecycle approach.

Initiation-Made up my mind and Resources for Help and guidance.Obtained PMI Membership and google all my doubts and benefits for being certified.Drafted my application and get eligibility approved.
    Planning-Identified and gathered required sources how i am going to study,Procure material(books and simulation tests) and attempting exam.
    Executing-Completed online course from simplilearn,Gone thru various Simulation tests and re-read the poor performing areas.Attempted simulation test for average score >70% for different platforms.
    Monitoring and control-Set milestone for knowledge areas to complete and score targets for simulation test and other question related issues.
    Closure-Scheduled and passed exam with all areas above target scores.

Lessons Learned-
    1. Please identify own strengths and study according to your appetite.
    2. Gather knowledge to support your decision from peers and mentors to stay motivated.
    3. Dedicate as much time as you can and replace leisure activity with online studying and attempting PMP challenge questions from Project management.com
    4.Go Thru PMBOK at least once (only once you have gathered basic knowledge for all process and knowledge Areas.Go thru all Simplilearn Material Brain Dump and e Book before reading PMBOK)ask as much questions as possible during the training, so that there is clarity on the issues.
    5. Attempt simulation tests don't worry about scores initially focus on identifying weak areas and improve.Scores only matters once you are ready and confident to take final exam.Attempt for 50-100 questions daily after first round of study.
    6. Changing your thinking about project as described in PMBOK will be the key to success.Remember this is test of skills to handle Problems as per PMBOK not as per your experience or real world scenarios.
    7. Don't Stress yourself , take your time don't compare with others.

Its test for applying knowledge and concepts of successful and ethical PM practices its not difficult once you understand the PM methodology described in PMBOK.

Rita Mulcahy's -This book is good study and helps you to memories concepts.It has explained version of PMBOK definitions.Lot of examples for formulae based questions and also explains how to get PM standards applied in real world.

The understanding of PMI-isms mentioned in the end will be great help.

Thanks Once again....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  26. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Regards,
    Priyamwada Singh
    GTA - PMP

27. Soumya_47

Soumya_47 New Member

Passed my PMP exam in first attempt!!

For me,my PMP journey was a bit long and quite eventful.I was with a 3 month old baby when I decide to pursue PMP certification and joined for Simplilearn Online Training Course.It took me 8 months to gain confidence and appear for exam as I had to manage my study time and a small baby along with office.But all my efforts paid in well when I cleared the exam with "Above Target" in all domains except closing where I was at "Target".

I sucess plan was as follows:

1. Joined Simplilearn and subscribed to 2 trainers to get a different perspective of topics.Each one has different styles of teaching and knowing different viewpoints helps clarifying concepts.
    2. Read PMBOK ,RMP ,Kim Heldman & Andy & Crowe.After giving exam,I realised PMBOK should have been enough but in quest of knowing and to be prepared to the maximum extent,I read many authors which helped me know various things that were not specifically mentioned in PMBOK but I found many questions on those topics in various MOCKS that I took.Read PMBOK multiple times.
    3.Create a weekly plan or timetable and stick to it.
    4.I downloaded many PMP apps on my mobile and targeted to do at least 50 questions daily.These apps are absolutely free and offer some basic to good questions that molds your brain and prepare for all kind of questions that can appear on exam.
    5.At Least,1.5 hour study daily throughout these 8 months. If you want to see results early and can devote more time,I would suggest 3 hours preparation time daily to cut down to 3 months.And increase to 6 hrs daily in last week before exam.
    6. Create a braindump of all formulas and ITTO.These are the two most important things.It's not really possible to memorise ITTOs but easy to find a logic and understand them to know it enough for the exam.YOU SHOULD BE WELL VERSED WITH ITTO FOR THE EXAM.Keep braindump handy and look at it many times to allow your mind to absorb it sufficiently.
    7.Attempt as many mocks as you can.I did all 5 provided by Simplilearn and 3-4 that I found online.Try to do in a exam mode,continuous sitting.
    If you are scoring well above 80% in all mocks consistently,there you are almost ready for your exam.
    8.Create a list of items for revision in the last week.
    9.Relax,sleep well and head for the exam!!!

That was all that I did.

I would like to thank Simplilearn for providing me a platform to prepare for my exam at the comfort of my house.

Best of Luck to all PMP aspirants!!

28. Sameer Nayak

Hello Vani,

Sorry for the late response. I downloaded the PMBOK in PDF format from PMI.org after becoming a member. I subsequently bought a print edition from Craigslist. I bought Rita and Headfirst both from amazon. These books are recommended by number of people online and also by my colleagues.

Thanks,
    Sameer

29. Sameer Nayak

Hello Pankaj,

Apologies for a delayed response. Yes, I purchased 4 tests for $60 from PMStudy.

Best...
    Sameer

30. Sreejith Nair_2

Hi

Passed my PMP examination on 12th March, in First Attempt, with Above Target in all domains except closing where I was said needs improvement.

I want to convey my sincere thanks to Faculty members Balasubramanian V (Bala) and Tim Jerome for the wonderful live sessions. Special thanks to Tim for answering my queries in forums in the last days. And finally, a heartfelt thanks to the whole Simplilearn team for all the support and help provided in my journey achieving PMP credential.

My success story is:

1. Joined Simplilearn last year in October, and took all 10 live session classes. The interactive session allowed me to perceive more of the broadness of the project management and helped to show a clear path in preparation.
    2. Study in one flow with well-planned study plan of daily 2-3 hrs, and in your mind fix date for exam within three months from the date you start your preparations. My mistake was that I lost consistency for a couple of months due to frequent outstation trips and since I had to give exam before pattern change happening from 26th March, I followed a fixed study plan for 1.5 months.
    3. I went through PMBOK once and then used Rita Mulcahy as a guide for better understanding.
    4. Did practice exercises and chapter questions after completing each chapter and understood my gaps in knowledge areas.
    5. Clear your gaps with PMBOK, Simplilearn, and from the answers of the attempted questions. Figure out why you are wrong at first place and don’t forget to wear PMBOK hat when answering every time.
    6. Give all simulation tests provided by SImplilearn and give it in one sitting. If you are scoring above 80% then it means you are ready for the exam and you have high chances of passing.
    7. Attempt other mock tests too, I gave few online mock tests too to add confidence.
    8. Finally one of the most important things and also my lesson learnt, don’t stress yourself in examination time. I lost time due to being little nervous and marked questions for sure shot ones too. So relax, sleep well and breath more during the exam.

Best of luck to all PMP aspirants.

31. Arunkumar D_2

Arunkumar D_2 New Member

Today i cleared the PMP exam on first attempt ,

Special thanks to Tim Jerome

Thank you
    Arunkumar

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  32. Jatin Dadlani

Jatin Dadlani New Member

HI,
    Glad to share that I have cleared my PMP exam today in 1st attempt.

Special thanks to Mr. Dorairaj Sridhar for his valuable inputs via virtual classroom.
    Also thanks to Priyamwada for being available for all sorts of concerns related to PMP exam.

Thank You,
    Jatin Dadlani

33. _17202

_17202 New Member

I cleared my PMP exam with Above Target Rating(First Attempt) on 15 March 2018.Big thanks to simplilearn team and Instructor Tim.

Few Information to share as i know the inputs will be help to many new Aspirants

Preparation Duration(Since Joining Simplilearn)-----3 Months
    Reference Books:Read PMBOK guide as many times as possible but understand the concept.Also go through Rita book and solve all the Questions as they are very good.

Mock Test:Attempted around 2000 Questions including Oliver and Simplilearn Mock Test.

Please don't take Communication Management plan and stakeholder management plan lightly as lot of questions were asked in my exam related to these topics.

Thank you.

Suhail Shaikh

34. Sujit Patil_1

Sujit Patil_1 Member

Phewwww, I am done..:).cleared my exam in first attempt... I was on a two-month fast track mission and crashed in hundreds of study man-hours with a scheduled deadline of March 15th.
    My total timeline including entire PMP application process, contacting references, getting their approvals, filling-submitting application, application approval, scheduling the exam date, attending Simplilearn VLC sessions, project submission, taking Mock tests and of-course self-learning was exact 2 months (from Jan 15th, 2018 to March 15th, 2018). Yes, I did everything in 2 months :).

Well, how did I do it? Determination was the key factor!!!..Daily, I did put in 5-6 hours of study time and PMP certification was on my mind 24/7 :). I have a full-time IT job, have a family with 3 year old who would occasionally distract me :), but I did the balancing act of giving some time to my family and converting my bus/train travel time into my study time. Every evening after dinner, I use to study from 8pm onwards till midnight and sometimes past midnight. Some weekends allowed me to stretch my study time to 8 hours plus. I treated this as if I was preparing for some state exam in which stakes are really high. There were times when I had sleepless nights and I was procrastinating, but again I kept reminding myself that I have used this study pattern during my engineering days and my board exams. We all know the guru-matra “No Gains Without Pains”.

I would like to start by thanking Mr Sreidhar Dorairaj for his excellent coaching. His online classes gave me confidence that I can do this. I thank Mayank Kumar, Mukesh, Priyamwada and Simplilearn’s help and support team as well. We often forget to thank our family, so I want to thank my wife and 3 year old daughter for their continued support in this journey.

So here is my PMP Journey: (All activities mentioned below were overlapping).
    • Joined PMI on Jan 15th, 2018, and researched about the application process. Started reading PMI code of ethics. Downloaded PMBOK v5 softcopy for quick reference. One of my friend gave me hard copy of PMBOK v5. I completed my first reading in 10 days. Honestly, could not grasp a bit from my first read.
    • While I was doing my first read of PMBOK, I attended my first two VLC sessions (Jan 20th & Jan 21st weekend class). Those sessions by Sreidhar gave me some confidence that I have time in hand to take exam before it changes based on PMBOK v6. And then what, I decided to hop on the superfast train J
    • After my first read of PMBOK v5, I started with Simplilearns’ LMS videos. These videos are extremely good!!!..Must watch for everyone.. These videos helped me gain a better understanding of what I am getting into :). Hence when I attended my remaining VLC sessions I was knowing the material. Knowing your material before attending class certainly helps!!!
    • Once I was done with PMBOK 5, I started with Rita Mulcahy and that’s when I realized that I have probably found a key to successful outcome. I highly recommend Rita Mulcahy to all PMP aspirants.
    • So now I was on Rita Mulcahy’s first read, attending VLC sessions and also watching LMS videos.
    • As a part of unlocking Simplilearn’s training certificate, we are required to submit the project. I selected Project 3 (Automobile Industry) so that I could study about Risk and procurement ahead of time. My first read of Rita was not in sequence, I directly jumped from Scope chapter to Procurement and Risk, since my goal was submit the project before the end of last VLC session. I achieved this goal and submitted my project on Feb 8th. But I missed my another goal of completing Rita’s first read by the last VLC session (Feb 10th). But nevertheless, I knew that I had to finish it in another week and I did that.
    • Now some statistics about my test results: On last VLC session we had inclass mock test, I scored 61%. I was bit discouraged but I knew that I had to put in more effort.
    • Now it was time for second read of Rita Mulcahy, and wallah this time I realized that I was filling my Knowledge gaps.
    • During my Rita’s second read, I started taking Simplilearn’s mock tests. I scored 76.5% (first mock), 74.5% (second mock), 68.5% (third mock), 84.5% (fourth mock) and 79%(fifth mock). So actually I scored above 80% only once.
    • Simultaneously, I was using android apps ‘PMP Exam Prep’ and ‘PMP Exam mentor’ during my travel time.
    • I also attempted about 300+ PMChallenge questions from ProjectManagement.com website.
    • In addition, I attempted Exam central website’s simulated mock questions and Project management academy’s inclass mock test. So all in all I believe, I may have attempted about 3500+ questions in such a short span. Each time, I got a wrong answer I would read why I got it wrong and fill my knowledge gap. I did not attempt Oliver lehmann since I was short on time.
    • During my entire preparation, the only thing I memorized was Simplilearn’s Process Map and Rita’s process chart. All formula’s are easy to remember as well. The most difficult part is to remember the ITTO’s. But I would say, preparing these would help you in your exam. It’s difficult to memorize these and hence I tried to understand the outputs for each process. This automatically helped me, understand what could be the probable inputs and their tools & techniques. Hence focus mainly on Outputs of each process.
    Ok now about the exam day:
    • We have heard in our classes that we would get time for brain dump session during our tutorial but appears that their rules have changed. I was told that I cannot write anything on the paper till I see the first question on the screen. This really made me nervous because I was prepared to have my brain dump session during tutorial time. So I would suggest everyone taking mock tests that please do you brain dump when your test actually starts because that will train your mind for exam pressure since clock starts ticking. I got stressed because I knew that I would lose about 15-20 minutes of my exam time for my brain dump notes.
    • I started my exam with lot of nervousness and I was at question #35 at the end of 1st hour. That made me more nervous, so I realized that I have to catch up some time now. So I started skipping the questions which required lot of reading, but then I realized that I have almost skipped 35+ questions, so I realized that this strategy won’t work and hence I went back to question #36 and started reading and answering patiently. At the end of 2nd hour I was at question #68. Now I was very positive that I would not be able to complete all 200 questions, and I started doubting whether I can pass this exam?
    • But we all know that no one knows the passing grade. So I decided that I shall atleast attempt 170 questions for a chance to pass the exam.
    • At the end of 3rd hour, I was at question # 110. Now since my goal was to reach 170, I knew I had one minute per question. So I got myself together and started working towards goal. I realized that last 5 minutes were remaining and I was at question #180, so I decided that I can stretch it by attempting 3-4 questions more. Last 1 minute remaining and I decided that I shall now just click the answer, and probably must have reached question #189 when the screen just frozed and asked to select “End” button.
    • Throughout the exam, the pressure got so much into me that I was continuously self doubting whether I can clear this exam due to my incomplete attempt.
    • After clicking the “End” and “Submit” button, I was literally shaking and then the moment of truth after a blank screen for probably 2-3 seconds. “You have passed”..
    • I was Above Target for Planning & Monitoring-Controlling, and on Target for Initiating, Closing and Executing.
    My exam taking mistakes (lessons learned):
    • Though I had read some posts mentioning that you cannot do brain dump while tutorial section, I thought that may be this might be true at some locations and not all, because of my friend gave her exam at the same prometric location in November 2017 and she mentioned that she was able to use that time. But appears that they are probably implementing it slowly and steadily to all prometric centres. So I should have made the habit of doing brain dump during my actual mock tests time and not before taking the test for full 4 hours.
    • Pressure got into me so much that even after selecting the answer I would read the question twice-thrice to make sure that I have marked the answer correctly.
    • In the quest to find the correct answer, I kept on pondering on the some questions for more than 5-7 minutes. I should have actually just marked/skipped those and revisited those if I would have got time.
    • I had 3 CPM questions, in which I had to draw the network diagram, after solving the question, my answer wasn’t one of the answers. So I made the mistake of attempting those questions 2-3 times again. I should have skipped those questions. I totally forgot that there is no negative marking!!!
    Allright, I know it’s a long post and you must be already tired :) .. But all in all I hope my experience helps other PMP aspirants. Best of luck for your preparations!!!. Just believe in yourself that you can do it!!!!
    Regards,
    Sujit Patil, PMP :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  35. _14359

_14359 Member

I passed my PMP yesterday in the first attempt with above target results in all the 5 process groups.

My 2 cents on the preparation and exam

1. Simplilearn's material is comprehensive and helped to cover all the important aspects of the syllabus
    2. The live classes (by Tim Jerome) were very good and it really helped with an understanding on all the concepts.
    3. Went through the recordings and the class notes while reading through PMBOK
    4. I also referred Rita Malcahy's exam preparation guide which helped to align the reading with examples
    5. Took all the practice tests and also did tried lots of questions on other forums
    6. The exam center and the experience wasnt that great - chairs without arm rest, no water, rest room was far away, constant typing sound from the neighboring stations ...
    7. The questions were all scenario based and it was completely different from all the mock tests..This threw me away completely and took almost 30 questions to focus

Ultimately, its the confident and the focus which helps to get through the exam.

Brace yourself and good luck for the exams.

--
    Regards,
    Lakshmi

36. bokepid

bokepid Active Member

terima kasih banyak

37. Tanmoy_13

Tanmoy_13 Active Member

Done, and, dusted!

Today I passed my PMP exam with 'Below Target' in Initiating and 'Above Target' in all the other 4 groups.

The preparation has been a roller coaster ride with several high and lows on my work front and having to adjust my resources for the preparation :) Hence, even though my initial plan was to start prep mid last year and take the exam by Oct last year, I could only gather my momentum and give the prep full force with utmost sincerity from start of Feb this year, which means a solid 45 days prep. The good thing is during this time, I was able to shelf myself off a bit at work - hence got some flexibility at office as well as at home.

The PMP exam is a tough nut, indeed, however, consistency and sincerity would see you home.You keep studying everyday, bit by bit, keep revising the concepts in your mind - question the ambiguities, ask yourself how and why from different perspectives - and eventually you will realize you are hitting the right notes on the exam day!

I could not enrol for the live classes, but I immensely thank this forum. The forum, the content, members, the experts are all super! I earnestly thank you all, esp., Tim's way of explaining stuff and arriving at the right answers! Also, all the success stories here. All the lessons learnt. The success stories provided me with more motivation than anything else! Thank you all for penning them down :)

My prep material were: PMBOK (read twice - 2nd time more of a skim), Simplilearn videos and materials, Rita (twice) and Headfirst (once). Headfirst is best for the critical cost and time concepts - helps you drag the dread away, while Rita is best at almost everything else - Esp. its Procurement Management and Tricks of the trade.

Mocks: Couldn't space them out, and I spent maximum time studying and re-studying the material until I was comfortable understanding all concepts. Well, if you have the time, do all the mocks and plan them well. Mocks are the key, full length better. I did all mocks in a rapid flow of around a week - Simplilearn (could only take first 3 - great questions), PMStudy (free - great questions), Examcentral (easier than PMP), PMPro (app), PMP Pocket Prep (app), Oliver Lehmann (free), PMPrepcast (free), PMP practice exam 2018 (app by Nhu Quynh Nguyen - underrated but very good questions), Headfirst mock. Other than these, chapter end Qs - Headfirst chapter end Qs, Rita chapter end Qs (some questions need proper critical thinking), Simplilearn chapter end Qs (good Qs). I can't re-iterate enough how important mock tests are. Every PMP question is a unique situation, whether mock or real. It is important to figure out the conceptual gaps by solving as many such situations as possible. Otherwise, there is always a natural choice (which is subjective), and the PMI correct choice on the exam day - which is perhaps not good risk mitigation strategy.

Lastly, the real deal. The PMP questions for me were more of a Risk and Stakeholder management module :D So get through those sections very very well. And almost every question had a touch of CCB and change process. One last tip - It is difficult to hold your mind for 4 hours straight, but, the way the questions and answers are framed, if you are sorted in your concepts, you'll eventually pick up the key words that will lead you to the right answer. It is all there, convoluted in the super complex wordy stuff. So do not give up, even if you can't get it on the first read. Read again, there will be clues and cues around.

All the best to all aspirants! - Thank you Simplilearn :)

Regards,
    Tanmoy

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Sujit Patil_1 likes this.
  38. David Samuel

David Samuel Member

Hello All,

I passed the PMP exam on March 16, 2018, on the first attempt! Thank you team Simplilearn and especially Tim Jerome, I attended his Jan 15 - Jan 29 (8:30 -11:30 CST) batch. The class helped tremendously in creating a clear baseline for the material on the exam. Many times during class, Tim would mention that the exam consisted of mostly situational based questions and he was right! I found that learning and understanding the material was much more beneficial than just memorizing to answer the situational based questions on the exam.

My studying consisted of:
    • Tim's batch in January
    • Rita Mulchaly 8th edition (read the whole book)
    • PMChallenge (great suggestion from Tim)
    • PMP Pocket Prep (good for answering questions on the go)
    • PM Exam Simulator (excellent resource for exam questions that are situational based)
    • PMBOK Guide (used as reference when I answered questions incorrectly)
    My overall score on the PMP exam was Above Target (all above target except for one section as target).

One improvement that I would like to see within Simplilearn for the PMP prep course is the mock exams. I think the mock exams need to reflect the situational based questions more. A suggestion would be to keep one or two of the mock exams the way they are but the other three exams should be geared towards more situational based questions for students to be more prepared on the actual exam.

39. PRATEEK KULKARNI

PRATEEK KULKARNI New Member

Hello All...

I passed PMP exam on March 16th with Overall score of above target.

My study plan was as follows -
    • Attended Simplilearn classes in the month of November.
    • Read Rita Mulcahy thrice and Pmbok twice.
    • Gone through the simplilearn material once.
    • I took only simplilearn 5 mock tests and didn't try any other tests. However exam questions are completely different from these tests.
    • I would urge all the future participants to be very clear with the knowledge areas as it will help you pass the exam easily.

Regards,
    Prateek

40. _14390

_14390 Member

I passed my PMP on 23Mar2018...just 2 days before version5 is changing to version6 !!

Hi All PMP aspirants,

Let me share some valuable tricks and study plan to clear PMP exam. This is what I followed.

1. Do a focused study for 3-4 months (not more) for your preparation and Do Not read too many books. This will not help you, but instead, you will get less time to focus on important topics and PMBOK.
    2. Take some training and parallely read PMBOK 1st time in Full focus (I took Simplilearn online weekend PMP training).
    3. Read PMBOK 2nd time and highlight the important texts/formulae/charts with highlighter, so that next time you can focus on important ones.
    4. Memorize all formulae (especially on Earned Value calculations and understand their meaning...EV/AC/PV/BAC...etc). You will definitely get some questions on these and believe me...the questions would be easy. Understand Integrated Change Control process very clearly...you will be tested in exam on scenarios where a change is taking place during project.
    5. Understand and Memorize Rita Mulcahy's process chart, this will help you to understand when a process takes place and what comes before/after that. Understand and Memorize All PMBOK Input-Output very well...you will get some questions on this (may not be direct).
    6. I also read Rita Mulcahy's book nearly twice, which helped me a lot in understanding the topics easily. But FIRST READ PMBOK THEN RITA MULCAHY.
    7. Solve All Rita Mulcahy's end of chapter questions.
    8. Before 1 month of your PMP exam, solve some FULL 4 Hour mock tests (I took 5 Full 4 hour mock tests from Simplilearn and it was very helpful). This you definitely need to make yourself sit for continuous 4 hrs in exam without break. The real Advantage of taking these mock tests is to guide you on your mistakes AND how and how much you have to read further the PMBOK and other study books.
    9. Now finally read PMBOK 3rd time with Glossary/PMBOK Process Groups Knowledge Areas Mapping/formulae and you will see that you have gained enough confidence and control on topics.
    10. Now solve some more Full 4 hours PMP simulation tests. Don't get disheartened if you are getting 70/75%...I was getting around 70-75% average in mock tests but in real PMP, I got good result.
    11. During real PMP exam, Don't Panic! And take care of time...I was behind schedule and somehow I managed to complete all questions.

Believe me, if you follow proper study plan, you will get good score :)

Finally, I would like to thank Simplilearn and trainer Mr. Sreidhar D for his training, guidance, lot of questions and mock tests provided. Without them and with self study alone, I don't think I would have passed this prestigious exam.

I am very thankful to my Wife and Son, for giving me confidence and study time regularly. In fact she has also asked some Input-Output and Rita Mulcahy's process chart questions before exam, which gave me boost that I know what I have read :)

Thanks,
    Anoop Pastor

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  41. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Congratulations and thanks for the elaborated insight.

42. Sujit Patil_1

Sujit Patil_1 Member

Heartiest Congratulations Pastor.. we attended the same weekend VLC session by Sreidhar :)..

43. _14390

_14390 Member

Thanks Sujit...did you appear for PMP ?

44. _14390

_14390 Member

Good to read this and Congrats buddy !! I hope now, you may realize and feel those sleepless nights when you go to bed now-a-days :) It is very much relieving after clearing PMP exam !!

45. Sujit Patil_1

Sujit Patil_1 Member

Yes, finally done :) .. But now on to next mission of keeping up with the PDU's.

46. Agegnew Tsega Woldemariam

I am from the simplilearn batch around Christmas time and got my PMP above target in all areas (pmbok 5). If I am not being too presumptious here is my advice. The exam is a lot more about scenarios than just definitions and concepts. There were a few questions with 2 choices that are right and the idea is deciding which one is more appropriate. Understand your ITTOs don't memorize as I did not have a single question that stated the exact ITTO just descriptions. So memorizing without understanding might not work. I suggest rita's fast track that worked for me. Now go get it done.

47. Ajoy Kumar Majumdar

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work."

I have appeared #PMP exam on 22nd March'2018 and PASSED the exam with Above Target (4) and Target (1), the preparation process was really a marathon race for me as I took the training from @SimpliLearn on Feb'2017 weekend batch but due to various reason I was not able to appear the exam in 2017. Anyway last two months I had put my most of the hours for #PMP exam preparation and finally cleared the exam.

Following are those materials which helped me to crack the exam :

1. Recorded class (@Sridhar Sir)
    2. PMBOK 5th Edition (read 2-3 times, first time almost line by line)
    3. Rita's Question Answer from each chapter(only Q & A)
    4. Simplilearn PMBOK summary materials
    5. Simplilearn Mock Q&A
    6. Oliver 175 Questions
    7. HeadFirst Pratice Set
    8. Q & As FOR THE PMBOK® GUIDE FIFTH EDITION

Apart from the above list I had gone through few more practice set which I had collected from internet which was also very helpful like "pm prepcast", "GREEN PMP Exam Prep Questions Answers Explanations 2013 Edition by Christopher Scordo","Exam Central" etc.

First time when I had started mock test I was getting only 60-65% and then again I read the PMBOK as well as watched recorded class tutorial also the explanation of the answer no matter it was wrong or right, and in this way I had started getting more than 70% on the mock question set. I believe if you are getting more than 70% in the mock exam, that means you are ready for the exam.

Thanks to @SimpliLearn Team and a very special thanks to @Sridhar Sir.

Regards
    Ajoy Majumdar

48. SHAMIT RASTOGI

Passed PMP sixth Edition exam on 10th Apr'18 with Above target accomplishment. Though was taught in 5th edition by Simplilearn in Dec'17, I somehow couldn't give the exam before 25th Mar'18 as my application went through Audit & no exam date available in Gurgaon afterwards. I have to read 6th edition then. Though majority of the syllabus is same as 5th edition but few topics have changed drastically.

Few tips for the passing the exam:-
    1) Read Pmbok 3-4 times. No requirement of reading Rita( You can finish Pmbok twice while completing Rita). But read Pmbok carefully. Try to solve Fahad Usmani 400 questions then. Again read Pmbok after fahad so as to see where are you lacking.
    2) Do scordo test 13-18. Also Do Quality & risk questions from all tests. These two topics are very important.
    3) I had 30-40 questions on Change Management. Try to solve situational based questions wherever you find it. Change management is very important for PMP Exam.
    4) Most important - Do Initiating Process & Closing process questions in all materials you have. Topic- Project Charter, Identify Stakeholder & closing. With this you can pass two processes. This is very important thing. Please SEARCH and find " Project Charter" in the book & do all the questions related to it.

Thanks to Team Simplilearn in helping out for Audit & everything. Special Thanks to Mr. Sridhar Sir.. You are truly awesome.
    Please feel free to contact me. Name is unique :)

Regards
    Shamit Rastogi
    Proud PMP

AbuSiddik likes this.
  49. SHAMIT RASTOGI

Hey Congratulations!!. Mee too passed the exam. We were in the same batch :)

50. AbuSiddik

AbuSiddik Active Member

Heartiest Congratulation Shamit and Agegnew Tsega.
    Thanks Shamit for elaborating inside story of PMP... :)