Top 10 ways of preparing for PMP Certification Exam

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Randall Cooper, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Randall Cooper

Top 10 ways of preparing for PMP Certification Exam

PMP Certification is the top-ranked globally recognized professional certification of Project Management. As the number of PMP certified professionals are increasing, the value of a PMI PMP Credential is growing by the day. According to statistics provided by the Project Management Institute, PMI the number of PMP certified professionals today is more than 450k.

A PMI PMP Credential enhances your project management skills, expands your market reach, showcases your capability to handle critical industry projects, earns you challenging projects and increases your salary dramatically. Thus, taking up PMP exam is an ideal bet for project managers looking forward to move ahead in their career.

The PMP exam is conducted by the PMI to validate project managers’ skills based on their PM knowledge and experience. Let’s take a look at the top 10 ways of preparing for PMP certification that will help your towards achieving your PMP goal.

Top 10 ways of preparing for PMP Exam:

1) PMI-PMP Handbook: The first step towards PMP exam prep is to understand all about the PMP exam. Read through the entire PMI-PMP Handbook to have a grasp of the PMP exam. Ranging from PMP application process to the syllabus of PMP exam, understand all the requirements of PMP exam.

2) PMBOK Guide – Fourth Edition: PMBOK Guide is the Bible of PMP exam. PMBOK Guide – Fourth Edition like the earlier PMBOK editions is the preeminent global standard for project management. PMP exam tests project managers on five processes of project management as per the PMBOK Guide. Therefore, understanding the PMBOK Guide and revising it twice or thrice before the PMP exam is a major step of PMP exam prep.

3) Rita Mulchahy’s PMP Exam Prep: Besides PMBOK Guide, Rita Mulchahy’s PMP exam prep offers extensive help in PMP exam preparation by improving your project management skills and knowledge based on all the five processes of project management towards achieving a PMI PMP certification. PMP certified professionals greatly suggest PMP aspirants to use PMBOK Guide and Rita Mulchahy’s PMP exam prep for their preparation towards attaining a PMP certification.

Mr. Emad Zbeidi from Canada who has recently achieved a PMI PMP certification suggests PMP aspirants in their PMP exam prep stating, “be ready to go over the PMBOK 3 times, Rita 2 times and attempt PMP mock exams before taking up PMP exam.” (E-mail interview of Mr. Zbeidi on Achieving a PMP certification)

4) Project Management Knowledge areas: As per the syllabus provided by the PMI, a PMP exam candidate is tested in 5 project management knowledge areas. You need to have a good understanding of all the five project management knowledge areas in order to clear the PMP exam.

5 project management knowledge areas tested in the PMP exam:

1. Initiating
    2. Planning
    3. Executing
    4. Monitoring & Controlling
    5. Closing

5) Project Management Experience: A project manager needs to have both project management knowledge and experience in order to clear the PMP exam towards attaining a PMP certification. You need to carry pm experience on handling critical projects to understand the real challenge of project managers in the industry. Thus, remembering the criticalities and its solutions that you faced in your past experience of project management helps greatly in your PMP exam.

6) PMP Exam Mock Tests: It is very necessary to evaluate your PMP exam preparation once you understand all the five processes of PMP exam by taking up PMP Exam Mock tests. This helps you understand the level of difficulty of PMP exam and enables you to gain proficiency on critical subject areas. (Get 4 PMP exam mock tests from Simplilearn.)

7) PMP Exam industry-based Practice Tests: Besides taking up PMP exam mock tests, it is very essential to practice industry-based PMP exam questions extensively. Regular practice of real-life PMP questions helps immensely in your PMP exam prep.

8) PMP Brain Dumps: PMP Brain dumps are reference material created by PMP aspirants for PMP exam prep and last minute revision. Preparing PMP brain dumps help PMP aspirants to focus on exact answers and knowledge areas rather than spending time on retrieving content from their memory.

9) PMP Flash cards: One of the best ways to prepare for PMP exam is using PMP flashcards which can be downloaded on your android mobile phone, iPhone or iPad. With PMP flash cards you can study and revise for PMP exam from anywhere.

10) PMP Certification Training: There are popular PMI Registered Education Providers that offer PMP Certification training for PMP aspirants across the globe. You can take up a certification training.

2. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

Thanks Randall, these are good tips that would enable any candidate to pass their PMP exam.

3. Sanford Sacheverrel

Completing a PMP course online or in class might be a better course of action than trying to go it alone with your studies.

Your online PMP instructor for your course will be able to guide you into the right direction as to what to read or study.

You will likely have access to many more free resources and practice tests than you would have if you were trying to search around and piece these resources together for yourself.

Glory, Shruti and jahir.raihan like this.
  4. Addison Tate

Addison Tate Member

Another tricky area to pass on the PMP exam is the Project Scope Management area of knowledge. The PMBOK Guide does not specifically discuss tools or techniques associated with the Collect Requirements process. However you will be required to be fully aware and familiar with all tools and techniques involved as some questions on the exam will require this knowledge.

5. Bernhard Shem

Bernhard Shem Active Member

According to PMI, the exam is being updated for 2015.

This could affect the way you study for the PMP certification exam.

New tasks are being added in Domains 1-4. Possibly this content is not covered in PMBOK as such. Surely this will provide a knowledge gap for those who are not fully prepared.

6. Russel Manuel

Russel Manuel Member

Creating your own brain dump online, at your own blog or wiki, such as where you write down everything you know about each domain and relevant task area is a good way to 'see' your knowledge. Once you have all the knowledge out of your head and in front of you, then you can see any gaps in learning. Sometimes, you might even know more than you can think.

Nennisi Egil likes this.
  7. Leigh Jay

Leigh Jay Member

Another thing you can do is design your own test/exam questions. For instance, you might write down questions as you read over the study material that you want answers to. You might not even have answers to these questions yet, but searching for the answers in the text as you read will allow you to be more focused and sharp and aware of the material you are reading.

tim jerome likes this.
  8. Nennisi Egil

Nennisi Egil Member

When studying in this way you should just pretend you are trying to teach this material to another student and then ask and answer questions in that way. When you have to justify your answers to questions by providing logical conclusions and supporting your assertions you are more likely to gain a more thorough understanding of what you are talking about.

9. LaDonna

LaDonna Member

One study technique that really helped me with this exam is the Survey method.

Rather than just diving in and reading each chapter of PMBOK, you would want to spend a significant amount of time previewing that section before you begin. Obviously, this method works when studying for any exam or subject matter, but especially with PMBOK as it's so complex.

With the survey method, you should preview all course material at the start of every new segment including all charts, graphs, outlines, topic headings etc. Formulate a set of questions in your mind that you should be trying to answer as you first read the material.

This short amount of time that you spend previewing the content will greatly prepare your mind for the upcoming content, so you have a good framework.

10. Nennisi Egil

Nennisi Egil Member

This idea works for me really well too, especially when studying a complex subject (though not for math or science related areas). The key is to read all review questions, chapter objectives; page headers and anything that will give you an idea before reading what that section is going to be about. You should easily spend a quarter of your study time on previewing with fifty percent spent on reading for comprehension and another 25 percent spent on review, test questions, etc.

11. Bernhard Shem

Bernhard Shem Active Member

It would not hurt to have a study partner whom you could explain and rehearse the material with. You could ask each other questions and participate in timed quizzes. You can do this best in person, like a local study group, but it also works online too.

12. Dawson Caine

Dawson Caine Member

I really enjoyed 'Head First PMP', a book you can find at almost any outlet online. This book offers 100% coverage of all PMBOK concepts and is a good first or second study guide companion to help you understand concepts in PMBOK. I'm recommending this one to everyone as reading straight through PMBOK without an interpreter (such as guide) is often difficult.

13. Norina Vincelli

The Project Communications Management - seventh knowledge area - is often a hard area for some to grasp. Studying and memorizing this area in particular will assist you, especially if you are having trouble understanding the communications channel formula

14. Abhishek Mukherjee_1

Alumni

I have enrolled for the online self training PMP course recently, but the course has very few chapter end tests mostly 6 questions per chapter how do I get access to more number chapter wise quizzes. Please help.

15. Malay Harsh

Malay Harsh Member
    Staff Member

Hi Abhihshek, The entire course of PMP has 83 Chapter end Quizzes and 5 simulation exams so, that seems adequate from teh exam preparation and knowledge testing perspective. Have you tried the simulation exams?

16. pramod_shinde

pramod_shinde Member
    Alumni

Hi Vinutha
    Pmp flash card we can't see on iphone, i guess it only support android.
    Is there any way i check those flash card from pc ? if yes, then please share link

Thanks
    Pramod

17. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

Hi Pramod,

Right now we support flash card only on Android.. Not on PC or iOS. We are working on making them available on PC.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. pramod_shinde

pramod_shinde Member
    Alumni

Thanks Vinutha

19. Rajesh Desikan

Rajesh Desikan New Member
    Alumni

Hello everyone, I have registered for the online course at Simplilearn for the PMP, would that along with reading of Rita Mulachy would suffice to clear the PMP exam?

20. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Good day, Bernhard / all - as per pmi.org, looks as if the changes to the test are occurring in January. This was just posted, so details are sure to be provided in the next week/s...

TimJ

21. pramod_shinde

pramod_shinde Member
    Alumni

Hi Vinutha

after giving mock test, result is shown as 1 Question at a time.

Is there any way to see all Q and A in one shot ?

Thanks
    Pramod

22. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

The result does show up as overall percentage and it also lists out how many were wrong and right answers. Probably you have to click on complete test. However, if you are looking at the explanation for the answers then it would be one at a time.

pramod_shinde likes this.
  23. Suresha H P

Suresha H P Member
    Alumni

Hi, I enrolled PMP classes at Simplilearn. where we get flash card for PMP?

24. AmerNatarajan

AmerNatarajan Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support Alumni

We would not be providing the flash cards for PMP. You will have to purchase the same separately.

25. JULIAN ONG

JULIAN ONG Member

Hi Vinutha, Thanks for tips. I have signed up to take my PMP exam in Jan 2017. Question - is the exam closed book ? am I allowed to bring in a 'cheat sheet' with formulae etc ? Thanks, Julian

26. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

Hi Julian,

Yes it is a closed book exam. Please find below the link to the PMP exam handbook hat will provide you more information. As per the instructions provided you cannot carry anything to the exam hall.

27. swapna_hawaldar(2506853)

swapna_hawaldar(2506853) Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Hi,

Can you suggest any sites where mock exams can be taken?

Thanks!
    Swapna

28. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Hello, Swapna - the best site (and owned by Project Management Institute) is projectmanagement.com. You will find a 'random question generator' in a blue box on the right-hand side, about half-way down - called "PMChallenge". You will need an account, but your account with PMI, which you used to submit your application works as well.

29. debbie_14

debbie_14 Well-Known Member

LaDonna, I just started studying for the exam and am trying to figure the best technique because I learn best with structure. Sounds like I'm headed in the same direction re: studying the PMBOK. My questions for you: After the classes did you go back and review each process as learned? What is the survey method? Thanks
    I just started studying for the exam and am trying to figure out what will work for me. I've started with this method and now feel better because I've read a zillion ways but I learn best with structure, however, have never taken a test with so many moving parts! Btw, what is the survey method?
    Did either of you or has anyone used the Mindmap from Simplilearn? Thanks so much.

30. debbie_14

debbie_14 Well-Known Member

No response needed re: Survey Method - just read your description- my oversight.

31. Supriya_212

Supriya_212 Member

Can you please share the app name for the flash card.

32. _30582

_30582 Member

Hi Vinutha/Team,
    Where can we find details of the Flashcard?

I am unable to find the link to the Flashcards or Appname, in SImplilearn resources page (both on browser as well as Simplilearn mobile app).

33. Meera_16

Meera_16 Member

My friend found this amazing blog post that helped her ace the PMP exam https://www.studypal.co/blog/quick-tips-to-grace-pmp/ Hope it helps you all