Which are the good recommended books for CISSP pre...

Discussion in 'CISA/CISM/CISSP' started by Sushil Ravindra Nair, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Sushil Ravindra Nair

Which are the good recommended books for CISSP preparations ?

2. Ed_Spencer

Ed_Spencer Member
    Alumni

There are a few books that get good marks. The top book is normally the All-In-One Volume 7 or what is known as the 'Shon Harris' book. Unfortunately, Shon Harris passed away a few years ago before updating her book, but it was based on much of her material and now shows a co-author.

The Sybex book tends to be a pretty good choice as well. While not as common of a recommendation, it's well written and is easy to learn from.

The CBK from ISC2 is normally NOT a good choice. It's a decent reference work but unfortunately it's not written in a way to really learn from the book easily. If you just want to look up a concept it's good, but not for 'learning' in most cases.

I'm a little unusual in that I supplement my preparations heavily with other content. I read Incident Response documents from NIST. I read public laws. I read standards. I read information from SANS, IBM Redbooks, whitepapers, and much more. Not always to 'study' specifically, but to expose myself to the concepts in different ways. It could be argued that you could pass the test solely from these materials, but the time needed to collect them would be worth far more than the cost of a good book. But I highly recommend them if you're struggling with a specific concept or need clarification on a topic.

There are many other good books others recommend, but I don't have personal experience with them. CISSP for Dummies for example has been recommended but not having read it, I can't comment effectively.

Hope this helps!

3. Sushil Ravindra Nair

Thanks Ed, this is very informative. As you mentioned, i too love reading from various sources that helps round up the concepts. However, will start from basics first so would order Shon Harris right away as I am just starting off the block.