Which certification should I pursue next after PMP?

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Juanita Hines, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Juanita Hines

Juanita Hines Member

Having just passed the PMP recently, I plan on getting another certification. I would like for my career in project management to grow beyond what it is now. Can you tell me which certification I should go for next?

2. Delia Hammond

Delia Hammond Member

You should consider taking the PRINCE2 exam for certification as this will make you far more employable than just a PMP certification.

3. Loretta Williamson

You could consider obtaining the Agile CSM certification. This will allow you to be able to do waterfall and agile methods. Very useful as many organizations do a hybrid of both.

4. Prasad

Prasad Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Trainer

After PMP you can think of doing ACP and/or CSM which provides the direction of carrying out the projects in an Agile way instead of traditional water fall method. Agile methodology and the SCRUM framework are the latest in the industry.

5. Roosevelt Brock

For risk management type job, you should get the RMP certification as it will serve you very well.

PRINCE2 is more appropriate for the UK market. If you are in that area or anticipate working over there, this certification would be very useful.

6. Randall Cooper

PRINCE2 Foundation and PMP are equivalent, so you gain no advantage by obtaining this additional certification. However, if you could obtain the Foundation and PRINCE2 Practitioner, that would be an advantage for you. The pre-requisites needed to obtain PRINCE2 are either PMP or PRINCE2 Foundation. So, realistically you could get the PRINCE2 Practitioner without the Foundation certification.

7. makeshsharma20

Once you pass the exam, you will need to start thinking about obtain your PDU or professional development units. You can put all your energy for study toward that, rather than an additional certification and that will help you maintain the certification.

Here are a few ideas to get you started.

You can earn PDUs by: By completing an academic course being offered by a university or college OR By attending relevant educational courses offered by training organizations NOT registered with PMI.

This may include training (or a Webinar) offered by your employer, another professional or membership association, or a non R.E.P. training organization. If you are a PMP, you can get PDUs by attending relevant education programs in project management from any education provider, even non R.E.P. You just submit the details of the education and back it up with the syllabus and certificate, if required, upon PMI audit.

Doing the MS Project Course will give you 45 PDUs. Attending siminars by local PMI chapter that is 2 PDUs per event. Attending Site visits/activities by local PMI chapter gains you 2 PDUs per event. Gain a certificate, such as Six sigma, or courses; gives your average of 30 PDUs. If you are doing an MBA or PHD, you may report some hours too. Personal development/reading is considered as well.

8. Akshata_10

Akshata_10 Active Member

This actually depends on where you live (and if you plan on relocating) and what field you work in.

As mentioned by other members here, the PRINCE2 certification course is great for anyone who is in the UK or other Commonwealth regions. It is unnecessary for those who have taken PMP and don't live in these regions. The Certified Scrum Masters (CSM) training course is great for those who work in the IT industry. If the IT industry is where you work, then you can also consider the Green Belt Six Sigma certification course (if you have any experience in the field that is). If IT is not your thing and you just want to improve your PMP-related skills, then take the PgMP certification course. It is conducted by the PMI and trains you further on more refined and specialized project management skills.

I hope this helps!