Writing discription in PMP Application

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Chandra M R(4723), Jan 26, 2017.

1. Chandra M R(4723)

Chandra M R(4723) Consultant & Coach
    Trainer

Question: How to write the Project description while filling PMP application... !?

The project details should be captured as follows

1. Objective:
    2. Description & Deliverables of the project
    3. Results achieved
    4. You role in the project and Key deliverable.

Let us take an example of a Project "Construction of a Flyover"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objective: The objective of the project is to construct the flyover which would help in reducing congestion of the traffic in the region

Description & Deliverables: The Flyover construction will be for 1 KM distance, of 4 lanes & foot path. 150 feet wide and with target timeline of 12 months. The project value is about $xyz

Results Achieved: The project was successful and was completed in 8 months & was under budget. The flyover was tested for peak hours’ traffic of 100 vehicles per hour. Initially the pilot run & checked the traffic congestion, people's experience feedback and stability of the fly over. It was successful and complete in all aspects which resulted in high customer satisfaction.

My role & Key deliverables: I was a project lead where my role was to ensure the pillars of the flyovers are constructed, tested and make them available for further mounting the concrete roads above them. We were the team of 50 where 10 members were civil engineers, and rest of the 40 were construction workers and executives. My responsibility was to own the end to end right from initiation to closure of pillar construction which involved;

Ø Identification, Review & sign off the pillar construction requirements

Ø Identification of Stakeholders of the project and establishing the stakeholder engagement plan.

Ø Defining and developing the plan for pillar construction i.e. Scoping, Estimating both schedule & cost, Quality, risk etc

Ø Monitoring and managing the pillar construction activities like concrete missing, raw material checking, mold, construction, testing, confirming the completion, team engagement & management, coordination, communication and engagement with all the associated stakeholders of the project etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.. Please ensure you follow this strictly to increase the chance of application approval. Before writing any details, Please review these details with your supervisor / Manager who has worked with you in this project, whose name you have indicated in your application, so that you will not face any issue if application is chosen for audit.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. Priyamwada

Priyamwada Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support

Thank you so much Chandra for the detailed description for filling the PMI application.

3. Paritosh_7

Paritosh_7 Member

The project details should be based on your roles and the overall objective for which the project has been taken up.
    Objective of the project should be clearly defined.
    Description and Deliverables should be briefly mentioned.
    Results of the project. It should be matching the objective of the project and the milestones achieved and milestones remaining.
    The role you have played in the project is of utmost important. Your role should be of managerial type or of a lead who has lead the project team to achieve the objectives of the project.

Hope this brief description helps.

4. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Thank you Paritosh for summing it up!

5. AnshulJ11

AnshulJ11 New Member
    Alumni

Hi Chandra,

Could you suggest, how a presales guy like me, who usually have multiple demo/deployment projects should handle filling out PMP application.
    Do I have to list out all the projects worked on (more than 20 in present role) and similarly multiple for other roles handled.
    Kindly visit my LinkedIn profile for details on my work profiles. https://in.linkedin.com/in/anshul-kumar-jaiswal-b4891557
    Pl guide me through this.

Thanks.

6. RAJAN DEY

RAJAN DEY Member

I would like my application to be reviewed before submission. Could you please share the email id where I may forward the application for review. THanks.

7. Chandra M R(4723)

Chandra M R(4723) Consultant & Coach
    Trainer

Dear Anshul,

If you do not have the experience working in project. Being in pre-sales doing demos will not be considered as project experience. You can share the details of your roles and responsiblities along with project details. that would give better insight before deciding for application. You linkedin profile do not provide sufficient information

8. Suyash jain

Suyash jain Member
    Alumni

HI, I was just looking at the thread. There is a word limit in PMP Application and the description that has been mentioned cannot fit into the PMP Application as it seems big to me. Please suggest

9. dkashish

dkashish Member

Hi

I have around 10 years exp in telecom deployment project ...during that i worked as site engineer , support engineer , project coordinator ,PM and now in supports.. But projects those i worked on are not so big and not standardized as per PMI standard . in this way its very hard to describe my work in given word limit ....

And one thing i want to know that i have to focus on my job role or complete project work...

Plz share sample's related to telecom deployment ..

10. Mohammad Azhar Khwaja

I have been raising the application for the PMP exam and I have some doubts. I have 2 gaps in my career of the 7.5 years of total work experience that I have. One is of 2 years when I opted for my full time MBA and second was when I took 2 months off to visit home while switching from one company to other. The entire remaing 7.5 years experience is in Project Management.

Is there a requirement for a candidate need to have a continuous experience without any gaps? Also, can my projects overlap while submitting the application?

Please suggest.

Azhar

11. tucomcongnghiep191

tucomcongnghiep191 Active Member

Công Ty Cổ Phần Thép Á Đông!

– bán buôn Inox theo mọi mẫu mã – giá rẻ!

* CƠ SỞ VẬT CHẤT: Trang thiết bị đầy đủ nên thiết bị inox của chúng tôi luôn có chất lượng và giá thành cạnh tranh rất cao.

-Là một xưởng sản xuất uy tín & có nhiều năm kinh nghiệm trong lĩnh vực sản xuất, thiết kế, thi công thiết bị bếp công nghiệp, thiết bị quầy Bar cho nhiều nhà hàng, trường học, bếp ăn công nghiệp, bàn chậu rửa inox công nghiệp , chậu rửa đơn công nghiệp tại Việt Nam, chúng tôi hân hạnh đem đến cho quý khách hàng các sản phẩm – dịch vụ:

– Tủ cơm công nghiệp – Tủ nấu cơm công nghiệp gas – Tủ cơm công nghiệp điện – Tủ cơm công nghiệp hơi

– Nhập khẩu & cung cấp thiết bị bếp công nghiệp, tủ lạnh công nghiệp, lò nướng, thiết bị sơ chế thực phẩm, thiết bị bar cafe

– Thiết kế, lắp đặt hệ thống bếp công nghiệp, hệ thống gas công nghiệp, quầy bar

– Thi công hệ thống gas trung tâm – công nghiệp, hệ thống hút khói, hệ thống thoát nước, dầu mỡ cho khu bếp

– Thi công kho lạnh công nghiệp, kho thực phẩm cho nhà hàng.

- cung cấp các mặt hàng thiết bị inox, bếp trường học.

Bàn chậu rửa công nghiệp giá rẻ :

Bàn chậu rửa đôi công nghiệp:

[​IMG]

Ngoài ra còn nhiều sản phẩm khác mời bạn ghé thăm website: tucomgiare.com – inoxadong.com

Công ty C phn Thép Á Đông
    Đ
    a ch: 796 Phúc Din, Nam T Liêm, Hà Ni
    ĐT: 0904.686.504
    Tel: (04) 8585 9299
    MST: 0107105735
    STK:21610000322575
    Email: adongkinhdoanh1@gmail.com
    inoxadong.com tucomgiare.com

12. Ekta Sawhney

Ekta Sawhney Member

Hi Rajan, Did you get a response on your query? I am looking for similar review.

13. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Participants,

If you are looking for the review of your application, we suggest you to raise a ticket through Help & Support section of your LMS along with the application.

Happy Leaning!!
    Priyamwada Singh - Global Teaching Assistant

14. SURAMYA KHILNANI

Alumni

15. Akshay Kumar Jain

Hi Priyamwada,

n order to get the application reviewed under which category do we need to raise the ticket. While raising the ticket it doesn't allow to upload a pdf file.
    Could you please help in resolving this issue.

16. Mukesh Sahu

Mukesh Sahu Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Hi Akshay,

Please select the category as Exam/Result related. Please file type as all files (since the default file type is image files). It will allow you to attach PDF file.

Regards,
    Mukesh

17. Akshay Kumar Jain

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks for the information but when I am attaching the application form in PDF. It is giving the error that only .jpg,.png or .jpeg file can only attach .

Please refer to the screenshot.

Kindly assist.

Thanks & Regards
    Akshay Kumar Jain

Attached Files:

18. Dintrich

Dintrich Member

Dear team,

do you have any advise regarding the slit of hours per process group to be plug in the PMP application?

Many thanks in advance,
    Florence

19. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Akshay,

We received your application and have dropped a confirmation mail.

Happy Learning!!

20. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Florence,

Kindly visit the below link for understanding how to fill application.
    http://work.chron.com/divide-hours-pmp-application-30193.html

Happy Learning!!

Dintrich likes this.
  21. debbie_14

debbie_14 Active Member

22. debbie_14

debbie_14 Active Member

This is very helpful, however, it is different than the example that was shared on the forum earlier this year, see attached. Which version should I follow? Please let me know as I need to complete application ASAP, should have months ago !

Attached Files:

23. debbie_14

debbie_14 Active Member

24. debbie_14

debbie_14 Active Member

25. debbie_14

debbie_14 Active Member

26. Akshata_10

Akshata_10 Active Member

This is a great outline for writing a PMP application. I have found another website to help ease the PMP application process. If you want to become a certified PMP, then you can enroll in Simplilearn's PMP Certification course. This course is designed by experts to help you clear your exam in the first go.

27. Mark_90

Mark_90 Member

I have a followup with regards to this process when filling out Project work Experience.

If an individual has worked on multiple projects at the same time and only able to record 1 project for that time period.

We can use Jan - Jun and there are 4 projects being worked on as an example.

Are we to record the 1 project but aggregate the time worked on all the projects into the 1 project?

Reason I ask is if there are multiple projects being worked on you could be in various stages within the projects and time worked in a given day or week may vary between the stages and if you only pick one project that may not amount to a lot of hours worked in a given time period.

Another example is in a given day an individual may be working on project A in the morning and Project B in the afternoon and then Project C the next morning and so on.

Am I over complicated this or misunderstanding something?

28. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Hi, Mark. Break the information down to the activity level - 'what leading and directing work I did', and associate that work to the individual projects. This is what PMI expects to see.

This is why PMI asks for the months the project occurred, and asks for the time you applied PM actions.

This is a little bit of work, but gives PMI a very good understanding of the ratio of operations to Project work you do, and the ratio of PM work to Team work you do.

Priyamwada likes this.
  29. Mark_90

Mark_90 Member

got it. Thanks Tim!!

30. _12402

_12402 Member

Dear Tim,

I am barely struggling with experience description for the application. Can you please clarify me in regard to my status as follows:

1. For last three years, I had been working as program manager in an INGO. That is a long term program (10 years). Usually the broad line goal and objectives and initiatives are planed at the beginning of the program and then, every year we do planning for that particular year. We do WBS, cost & schedule, risk review, quality management, monitoring, control, reporting and closing of all the activities for that year. My question is: can i breakdown these three years in 5 process groups?

2. Besides that three years as I mentioned above, I have managed 8 projects at different phases like: for some projects, I managed initiation to monitoring & control; for some i did execution to closing process etc. (this is just for your information).

3. Currently, i am not holding any position in any organization since i have migrated to USA just a few months back. So what should I write against the question that asks about current position & name/ address of the organization under professional demographic information part in the application?

I need to apply on-line by next week. looking for your suggestion please.

Thanks,
    Lihin

31. tim jerome

Trainer

1. Was there any evidence of stakeholder identification or development of a charter? If not, that would eliminate initiating process group.
    2. Thank you (grin).
    3. Show your employment status (professional demographics) as they are. It's a fact of life, not a statement of character. The role of the Project Manager exists beyond job title and position.
    The best advice I can provide for developing your project experience is to start with a review the Exam Content Outline (link here) - it provides a general description of work a Project Manager may perform leading and directing projects. You can modify this, remaining within 550 characters for each project, and also use it for validation of process group alignment.

kellee.bailey likes this.
  32. _12402

_12402 Member

Thanks a lot Tim.
    Another clarification please. As I mentioned, my recent three years in a program that means there were multiple themes in the program like, education, health, protection etc. and I was accountable for leading one of those theme. During charter development, we, all managers of the program, worked together. So Can I count that experience?
    Thanks, Soalihin

33. tim jerome

Trainer

If it is work you did, supporting the development of the charter, it counts.As a group, you did some, but as an individual, you may have owned specific activities. Those specific activities count. Look at the wording in the Exam Content Outline:
    • Perform Project Assessment
    • Identify Key Deliverables
    • Perform Stakeholder Analysis
    • ID High-level risks, Assumptions, Constraints
    • Compile and Analyze Gathered Information
    • Obtain Charter Approval
    • Conduct Benefit Analysis
    • Inform Stakeholders of the Approved Charter
    These are generally accepted Initiating tasks; the additional wording in the Outline provides some good context.

34. Kamalanathan Kanakaraj

Need some help.

For the past 10 years I have Lead many projects in which couple of them lost for more than 2 years.While filing the PM experience in PMI application,after filling 3 projects the hours exceeded more than 4500(i.e say 5250), later I'm not allowed to add other project information.
    Is it normal? no needed to add 8 years of PM experience?

35. Sreejith Nair_2

Hi Faculty

I'm filling up PMP application and I need your expert advice for:

1. Being an electrical engineer, in my last projects, I have worked more as a Project Engineer directly contributing execution, monitoring and controlling, closing of the project. What would be the correct project role to be mentioned in the application (confused between project contributor and other)?

2. Under PM Education, I see we just need to fill the required PDU 35 hours and not upload or attaching of the certificate from Simplilearn. Kindly confirm.

36. tim jerome

Trainer

For the first question, the time that counts toward acceptance of application is the work you did leading and directing the project. Work you did creating the deliverable, or work you did supporting the leading and directing, do not count.
    For a quick list of work that does count towards all this, look to the Exam Content Outline (link here). This is a list of work that PMI accepts as "leading and directing" work in a project context. This document is also a handy reference when preparing for the exam. You can find this document linked to the PMP exam application page.

Secondly, you fill the hours on the application. Only if you are selected for audit do you submit confirmation (your certificate/other evidence). In the event you are using the Simplilearn training, you will submit your certificate as evidence. *note* Audits are not triggered by quality of application; they are triggered by random selection.

A couple other items about your contact hours:
    • They cannot be post-dated - you can't say "I will have completed this training in the future".
    • It is HIGHLY recommended you use the exact wording on the certificate when filling out this part of your application, so there is no confusion if you are audited.

Sreejith Nair_2 likes this.
  37. Sreejith Nair_2

Thanks Tim, you gave me a better picture now about how to apply correctly.

Just one more help, Can I believe that the project role doesn't matter what designation your company has given you, it is the role you performed while executing the phase of the project or project itself? And just for my curiosity, what could be other right examples of 'Other' option shown in the drop-down list under project role (project specific information) in the application process?

38. tim jerome

Trainer

This may be your job title, your formal role on the project or regarding the product. I was a marketing engineer for many product release projects, and I used that.

Sreejith Nair_2 likes this.
  39. Sreejith Nair_2

Thanks Tim, your answers were really helpful.

40. Payal Mittal_1

It is Not letting me upload my file is word format or pdf format? help please

41. Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support

Hi Payal,

Hope you have received a response on your application.

Happy Learning!!