Agile - CSM vs ASM

Discussion in 'Agile and Scrum' started by Renee Bishop, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Renee Bishop

Renee Bishop Member

Hi,

I’m enrolled in the PM Master’s Certification program and I’ve completed the ASM training and received the Simplilearn certification. I was debating on the value of taking the ASM certification exam with EXIN vs. going for the CSM certification exam as CSM seems to be more valuable in the marketplace and recognized. Has anyone found that to be true? Thanks.

Renee

2. Raj K(3066)

Raj K(3066) Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Hi @Renee Bishop

CSM is popular in the world due to lot of social connect done by Scrum Alliance. For your information, see the difference between ASM and CSM:
    • ASM Covers broader topics in agile than CSM certification
    • CSM is only on scrum, whereas ASM covers: Scrum, Kanban, DSDM, XP etc.
    • ASM covers Agile Project Management, how to adapt agile in an organization, CSM doesn't cover such topics
    • For you to retain your CSM certification, you must earn 70 SEUs in a 2-year period. For ASM no such requirement to earn units. Just take another exam at the end of Certification validity, your certificate will renew.
    • ASM recognizance is growing world over for two reasons
      • Broader coverage
      • Exam appears bit tough
    To add more, some people say Scrum Alliance is Scrum ONLY Alliance and the CSM exam is difficult to fail. ASM is in a different ball game. To conclude, CSM is more popular - no doubts about it. It falls down on how you can convince some one about your ASM certification is better than CSM Certification.

To add a spin to this argument, there is PMI-ACP. That is like Mount Everest in agile certifications - Difficult to achieve (its a generic perception because it comes from PMI). At a glance that certification for you:
    Comes from world’s renowned PMI, USA
    • You need 3-year real experience which may be audited if required
    • Training is mandatory
    • Exam is delivered only via Prometric
    • Validity is 3 years, during which you must earn PDUs for renewal
    • Coverage wide similar (or bit more on Lean, Cycle times etc) to ASM, but definitely lot more than CSM

3. Renee Bishop

Renee Bishop Member

Thanks Raj for that great assessment of the different Agile certifications. I hope that ASM becomes more popular in the states as it is overseas given how reputable EXIN is. I like how ASM covers boarder topics in Agile, but it doesn’t yet seem as marketable with recruiters in the states. Regarding PMI-ACP, can you use the same project experience that you may have listed for the PMP application if the projects were Hybrid Agile or Agile in nature?

4. Raj K(3066)

Raj K(3066) Well-Known Member
    Trainer

If the experience is overlapping with PMP, it might cause some issues. If PMP application is not yet submitted, then rewording that application with hybrid Agile and then using the same in PMI-ACP would help.

Regarding ASM popularity in US, unfortunately almost every one in recruiting knows CSM. For them agile means CSM. Unless they open up and see the other side of the picture, ASM will take time to gain popularity.

Another point: in an interview if someone asks me why you did ASM when CSM is popular, I would explain the above points and tell that person, recruit someone with broader knowledge from ASM as you never know which knowledge may be helpful in that project.