Can I postpone the PMP eligible?

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Bernadette Underwood, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Bernadette Underwood

I might have to delay taking the PMP certification. I am already in process of undertaking the training to be eligible for the same. Should it be a problem if I delay taking the test after receiving eligibility to take the exam?

2. Jeniffer

Jeniffer Member

I had the same issue sometime back. If you choose not to take the exam within the first year after receiving your eligibility you will be banned from taking the test on the following year. Making time to take this test is essential as it could greatly enhance your career prospects and few things will trump that in your life. In my case - I took the exam post 8 months to my training. However, Id suggest from my personal experience, not to delay it more than 2 months else you need to go through the whole course and material all once again.

3. Delbert Murphy

After all the work you have gone through to study and qualify for the exam, you really should take it. There is way more to qualifying for the exam than simply taking a continuing education course to familiarize yourself with the topics. You will have to provide adequate documentation of all work hours devoted to leading projects, working as a project manager. This part can take awhile as you will need to get verification from employers and others working on your team.

4. Carson

Carson Active Member

You can postpone for up to a year, if you really feel that's necessary, once you have been qualified by PMI to take the exam. But you might want to consider, should you wait? There is always a chance the exam will change or you will allow life distractions to get in the way of testing at all.

5. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

I have mentored a couple people who have called PMI directly, and have received acceptance for a 30-day extension or so. However, the circumstances were very unique - business critical, personal life struggles. And note that the extension was one-time, and did not extend the year by much. Once you have approval, you need to follow through or merely re-apply after you've waited a year.

6. Om Prakash Bang

Om Prakash Bang Well-Known Member
    Alumni

You have one year from the date of acceptance of PMP application to sit for and pass the exam. This time is known as your exam eligibility period and is discussed in detail in your respective handbook . THE NEXT STEP in the process is to submit payment . Before you can schedule your examination, you need to first pay the fee. Leave enough time to schedule because seating capacity at Prometric Testing Centers is limited and availability is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

You can schedule exam within eligibility period (One year from the date of acceptance of PMP application). Once you schedule an exam, then rescheduling or cancellation charges applies as below.

A fee of US$70 will be charged if you reschedule or cancel your CBT exam within 30 calendar days of the exam appointment.
    There is no charge to reschedule or cancel an exam more than 30 calendar days before the appointment date. The existing policy that states you must reschedule or cancel your exam more than two calendar days prior to the appointment or forfeit the exam fee still applies.

7. Akshata_10

Akshata_10 Active Member

Do try to take the PMP exam within a year of getting approval for taking the exam. The process is exhaustive, but it isn't hard. You can take the PMP certification course and clear the exam on the first attempt. You can also take the free PMP mock exam and see how prepared you are for the exam and how much still needs to be done.