Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

Certified Data Scientist ( R, SAS and Excel)

Roopesh Naidu

NA
Simplilearn Support
Trainer
Data Scientist, R, SAS and Excel – enjoy live discussions right here when you’re learning!

How do I submit a question to the forum..?
I need to know where to get a copy of the unempstates.csv file that is to be used in the Data Science Project 3 on Clustering...? Only the 2nd file (unemp.csv) is included in the Project ZIP file...

I asked on SImplilearn chat and they said send and email...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhuma Bhattacharjee

Alumni
Hi,
I am waiting for session recordings of 11th, 24th, 25th Oct and 1st Nov 2015 of Certified Data Scientist with SAS, R and excel timing 9:00 am to 13:00 pm.

drishti.yadav

Alumni
Hi,
I missed last weekend's class on SAS and I went through the recordings.
I ran the first SAS code according to the direction of the instructor which is:
libname datasc "/courses/d8752215ba27fe300";
So when I run this code I get an error saying datasc does not exist and on the left panel as well an empty datasc folder is created with no content.
Also on the left panel there is server files and folders dropdown, that drop down has an empty shubhampandey20 folder.

I ran the above code a lot of times in new program as well but it is showing the same message over and over again.

I would really appreciate a quick help on this because my class will begin in an hour from now and I do not wish to lag behind.

Thanks
Drishti Yadav

Naveen N_1

Alumni
I have data for historic sales data for every month for the past 3 years for some 350 products parts. I want to forecast the next 6 month sales of the products for the next 6 months using SAS. I am using SAS with built in functions which don't need coding. I want to use the Forecasting and Modelling Tasks which is not a part of a course. Here I don't know how to apply that data i.e which is dependent variable, which is Time ID etc. Can anyone help me solving it.

Attachments

• Actual Sales.zip
    977.8 KB · Views: 17

shivani_3

Alumni
Hi Shubham,
As discussed during the class,Could you please share the SAS and R codes,Retail Case study and automotive case study?

Mohammed Khasim

Simplilearn Support
Hi Praveen,

Can you please help me with session start date, so that i can sent the correct session recording.

Mohammed Khasim

Simplilearn Support
What are some common beginner's mistakes in R?

• Return is a function, not a statement. This one kills me every time when I define a new function.
  • There is no continue statement in a loop, you should use next. I even thought there was no way to "continue" in my first half year of learning R.
  • a[idx,] could be a matrix if idx is a vector with more than two elements, or a vector if idx is a number. This always leads to some type errors later. The right way to make sure a[idx,] is always a matrix is to use a[idx,,drop=F] instead. And yes, there is a parameter in the index list.
  • R is an interactive language, and it is interpreted line by line, always remember all the parameters you've created in the same interactive environment.
  • Again, it is interpreted line by line, it might not easy to tell the error in the following code
    if (a>0) {
    } # R thinks this is the end of the if statement.
    else { # <-- And R reports an error in this line because no matching if.
    }
  • The difference between "=" and "<-". I can't tell it either. Oh, I forgot to mention there is another assignment operator "<<-".
    BTW how to google the real answer is a really big challenge.
  • Data.frame is not a hash table, use environment instead. How to create a dictionary / hash table by iterating through a column?
  • Do not use R to do big data analysis unless you know exactly how R works. Pure R is not efficient enough to do it. It is doable if the core implementation is in C++, and R is just a wrapper.

DeshDeep Singh

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Disadvantages of using Chrome Book:

1. No third Party software can be installed or run on it. E.g. WebEx, Team Viewer, VMWare, CAD Tool etc.

2. Microsoft office has no relative version for Chrome Book.

3. Everything in Cloud storage, as Google offers 2 years Google drive 100 GB access.

4. Its actual functionality comes out when connected to internet.

5. Cannot connect computer to Printer or other devices.

All the above mentioned points are our day to day activity when it comes to use a PC or a Laptop, all of them are ignored in Chrome Book.

Now, after reading these 5 points, it becomes really easy to make choice before buying a laptop.

I prefer Mac OS or Windows OS because it gives us access on any third party software which becomes easy to install and have hands-on.

Animesh Devarshi

Alumni
"Bounces" and "Exits" fields mentioned in "Internet" case are percentage. But the actual data are of integer format. Please suggest if there is any discrepancy.

Praveen_47

Alumni
OK, Also..I'm not able to register for other courses (enrolled for All courses access). I see that your site had maintenance window and after that I dont see any courses in the Online Classroom tab. Please guide.

Mohammed Khasim

Simplilearn Support
Hi All,

We have noticed a few issues being reported by our customers on the LMS. We have activated a report issue tool on the LMS to help you report them instantly.

Please click on the "Report issue" widget present on the right hand side of the LMS interface and enter the following details:

• Name
  • Email
  • Category (Problem, Suggestion, Question or Like)
  • Message (Write in your comments)
  • Click on the check-box to automatically attach a screenshot of the page.
Our Tech team is continuously working on improving the user experience. Please feel free to post in your problems, suggestion and questions through this widget.

Alisha_1

Simplilearn Support Community Manager
Staff member
Simplilearn Support
Hi All,

Please find attached SAS studio steps.

Attachments

• Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-001.jpg
    Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-001.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-002.jpg
    Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-002.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-003.jpg
    Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-003.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-004.jpg
    Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-004.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-005.jpg
    Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-005.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-006.jpg
    Import Files in SAS Studio Step by Step-page-006.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 11

Mohammed Khasim

Simplilearn Support
Certification in Analytics is tailor-made for professionals seeking to enter the Analytics industry. The comprehensive training in Business Analytics comprises of the three most popular languages utilized in the industry: R, SAS and Excel. It is an all-in-one package for aspiring professionals to gain expertise in R programming language ,SAS , MS Excel and essential statistical techniques. Participants at the end of the training, will gain maximum benefits and would be technically competent in data analytics processes such as reporting, clustering, predictive modeling & time series analysis by using R language, SAS Platform and MS Excel.

Jhuma Bhattacharjee

Alumni
Hi,
For logistic regression in R, if there are missing observations for some variables (ordinal data) in a dataset, do I need to delete the missing records or estimate the missing values or leave as it and run logistic regression.If need to estimate the missing value how to do it as the variables are ordinal. Can anyone help me.

Regards,
Jhuma

A.Murali

Alumni
Trainer
Hi,
For logistic regression in R, if there are missing observations for some variables (ordinal data) in a dataset, do I need to delete the missing records or estimate the missing values or leave as it and run logistic regression.If need to estimate the missing value how to do it as the variables are ordinal. Can anyone help me.

Regards,
Jhuma
Hi Jhuma,
If it is a quantitative variable(x) which you need to populate you can replace with the mean of category variables(y). If the prediction variable ( y) which is ordinal is missing then it is better to remove those rows when you build the model.
Regards,
Murali

Jhuma Bhattacharjee

Alumni
Hi Jhuma,
If it is a quantitative variable(x) which you need to populate you can replace with the mean of category variables(y). If the prediction variable ( y) which is ordinal is missing then it is better to remove those rows when you build the model.
Regards,
Murali
Thanks Murali.
I have one more question. I was working on the retail case study and have some question on the data. I can see that for Variable "Season" there are values as-"Autumn" and "Automn". As I can understand these are same do I need to change "Automn" to "Autumn' or vise versa, or keep the data as it is.This is the case with many other Variable like Size, Sleevelength, Material etc. Even sometimes the values of the varialbes are like "High", "high". What need to done here (I can understand if working on client data I can validate the data with client, but here what need to be done to proceed).

Also I have estimated missing values by taking mode(as all the independent variables are categorical). hope I am correct.

In the solution provided, I can see they didnt change the data.

It will be very helpful if you can reply soon.

Regards,
Jhuma

A.Murali

Alumni
Trainer
Thanks Murali.
I have one more question. I was working on the retail case study and have some question on the data. I can see that for Variable "Season" there are values as-"Autumn" and "Automn". As I can understand these are same do I need to change "Automn" to "Autumn' or vise versa, or keep the data as it is.This is the case with many other Variable like Size, Sleevelength, Material etc. Even sometimes the values of the varialbes are like "High", "high". What need to done here (I can understand if working on client data I can validate the data with client, but here what need to be done to proceed).

Also I have estimated missing values by taking mode(as all the independent variables are categorical). hope I am correct.

In the solution provided, I can see they didnt change the data.

It will be very helpful if you can reply soon.

Regards,
Jhuma
Hi Jhuma,
As a process of cleaning you have to change all your variables in proper format.Even if it is not in solution document I would suggest you to make all changes and do this process. The way you approached data is good, please go ahead with your same thought process.

Regards,
Murali

Jhuma Bhattacharjee

Alumni
Hi Jhuma,
As a process of cleaning you have to change all your variables in proper format.Even if it is not in solution document I would suggest you to make all changes and do this process. The way you approached data is good, please go ahead with your same thought process.

Regards,
Murali
Thanks Murali :)

Anirudh_5

Alumni
I am currently a part of the March 12th 2016 batch for Certified Data Scientist course. We have repeatedly brought this to the faculty's and facilitator's notice that we do not have the presentations for his lecture. Now while we have been assured that the ppts/pdfs will be shared with us, nothing has turned up yet and half of the course is already completed. The other day I got a mail with details on how to download the pdf, but the navigation mentioned therein is not available.

It is important that we go through the topics to be taught during the next lecture beforehand for the class to be efficient. I'd appreciate if you could share the pdfs in this forum for all of us.

Durga_11

Trainer
Hello !!

In last week's sessions (Batch 26 March - 1 May), a few of you asked for good books on analytics. I've listed a few below -

Doing Data Science: Straight Talk from the Frontline
Similar to most O'Reilly books, this one covers the techniques of data science. It is based on Introduction to Data Science class (Columbia University) and has lectures from various scientists as well. This is best suited to learn the concepts and 'science' of analytics.

The following books help in getting a realistic view of how to apply predictive analytics -

Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die
Written by expert Eric Siegel, this book covers quite a few case studies and techniques on predictive analytics.

The Signal and the Noise: The Art and Science of Prediction
Starting at case studies where experts failed to get an accurate prediction of catastrophic events/important results, the book then discusses few dynamic systems and concludes with various solutions.

Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability and Science of Customer Centricity

This book discusses exclusively web analytics and how it can be used to create strategy and help in effective marketing and achieving optimal success.

I'm also listing a a couple of interesting blogs that I follow -

http://analytics.blogspot.com/ - The official blog of Google Analytics. It's worth a try to get to know Google analytics capabilities. This blog mainly discusses on new features of Google analytics and case studies

http://www.kdnuggets.com/ - This site has a very comprehensive list of blogs, latest news, other webinars etc. on Analytics, Big data and data science. Covers most technologies and also has a good repository of data sets available online.

http://www.tatvic.com/ - A web/mobile analytics consultation company that also has a very interesting and active blog on google analytics and R.

A few more blogs by authors -
http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/
http://www.predictiveanalyticsworld.com/blog/
http://abbottanalytics.blogspot.co.uk/

Finally, you can also browse through the blog sections of IBM, HP, SAS, Adobe. They also are good places to start.

Hope this helps!

Mohit_45

Alumni
@Durga_11

In the below example :

> i<-1
> while(i<6){
+ print(i)
+ i=i+1}
[1] 1
[1] 2
[1] 3
[1] 4
[1] 5

As we have assigned value 1 to variable i, so using while function it should give value as 2,3,4,5. because i=i+1, it should start as follows:

1+1 =2
2+1=3
3+1=4
4+1=5

But it is giving value from starting from 1.

Please explain this...!!

DeshDeep Singh

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
@Durga_11

In the below example :

> i<-1
> while(i<6){
+ print(i)
+ i=i+1}
[1] 1
[1] 2
[1] 3
[1] 4
[1] 5

As we have assigned value 1 to variable i, so using while function it should give value as 2,3,4,5. because i=i+1, it should start as follows:

1+1 =2
2+1=3
3+1=4
4+1=5

But it is giving value from starting from 1.

Please explain this...!!

Hi Mohith,

Print function is written before increment, so it starts from 1. if you written in the below format,
while(i<6){
+ i=i+1
+ print(i)}

it will start from 2.

Regards
Karthik

Sugandha_1

Alumni
I have missed last 45 mins session last sunday. I got recording link but it is only saying recording is ready to download. There is nothing other than that. Pls. help me resolve this issue.

Kunal_7

Alumni
Hey Guys,

Batch 12th March, 2016- 17th April,2016:

Things I wanted you to go back and see for yourself for the class dated 9th April, 2016 are:

1. Look at what boosting is?
2. Understand what "tree" package does and its usage.
3. What is information entropy/Information gain and how it affects decision trees?
4. Difference between eager learner model and lazy learner model?

I am posting this for your convenience.

Best,
Kunal

Shankar Thiagarajan

Alumni
Hi, installing package XLConnect worked fine on one of my machines. Whereas on the other machine at office, I get the following error:
> library(XLConnect)
Loading required package: XLConnectJarsError : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
call: inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...)
error: unable to load shared object 'F:/Program Files/R-3.2.4revised/library/rJava/libs/x64/rJava.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
Error: package ‘XLConnectJars’ could not be loaded
>

I have the latest java installed.
Kindly let me know of any known solutions.
Thanks, Shankar.

sonamsuri88

Alumni
1. Didn't receive recordings for the session 16th april'16 (Batch started on 26th Mar'16), Trainer-Durga
2. Stopped receiving session login link which i used to receive till last Sunday.
3. I have enrolled for a batch which started from 9th april to cover up my missed classes. Now it is not showing under my active courses in my simplilearn account/LMS
4. Are there any weekday batches too for the same course-Data science with R,SAS and excel?

Attachments

• 5ad500f81e9cd0ee86820a806510b20c.jpg
    5ad500f81e9cd0ee86820a806510b20c.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 6

Mohammed Khasim

Simplilearn Support
· Recordings for today’s session will be shared immediately from Webex once the session is concluded.

· Post which we share same links from Amazon cloud in 48 hours and also paste the recording links in the chat window during subsequent session for previous sessions.

· If you may have any issues please write to us on getcertified@simplilearn.com for recordings or any other workshop relation queries