Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

Cleared PMP

Abhishek S N

Friends,

A roller coaster journey ended happily, when I saw “Congratulations” popping up the screen. Yes, after successfully passing the PMP exam. :)
I shall not say you do this or that, as each one of us is unique and what worked right for me will not suit you and vice versa.

Given below is my experience.

My preparation Strategy:
Though I started my plans to take PMP exam end of 2nd quarter 2019, it did not go well due to workloads at office and travels in between. Nevertheless, I set a clear target by beginning of July 2019 that I will take PMP exam in first week of September (~65 days)
1. I purchased an online PMP course from Simplilearn to understand concepts and earn PDU’s.
2. I found Simplilearn PMP useful in understanding the basics of Project Management from grass-root level.
3. Watched the training videos as a part of curriculum. Doing these simultaneously, I gained the insight on
most of the topics. Started gaining in-depth knowledge when I read Rita Mulcahy and PMBOK in parallel.
4. I suggest reading PMBOK thoroughly for about 2-3 times, this is mandatory to pass the exam!
5. All questions will be based out on PMBOK chapters.
6. I used apps for PMP, which widely available in play store / app stores to engage myself on quick handouts
provided for flash cards, formulas, ITTO’s, and questions in free time. This enabled me to review the topics
during free time.
7. I prepared my own notes for each chapter with key points, which was very handy during last minutes
before exam.

ITTOs:
Since I am poor in memorizing, I decided not to memorize the ITTOs. Instead, I referred the inter-relation of process groups, well explained in PMBOK (for all knowledge areas). My suggestions not to memorize these ITTO’s because PMBOK does not expect you to do it.

Mock Tests:
1. I took all 7 simulations of from Simplilearn (200 questions each) – Scored consistently an average of 80%.
These were easy basic questions, which helped me to check my understanding.
2. I solved all questions from Rita Mulcahy book provided end of each chapter. Scored an average of 70%
consistently. These questions are lengthy and gives hint on our knowledge on each topics.
3. Last 20 days, I took 3 full length PMP mock exams (Simplilearn), consistently scoring 80 percent. I could
finish the exam in 3 hrs.
4. After every exam, I analyzed my weak areas and referred some additional materials
5. Last 5 days, I went through discussion threads in PMP blogs, PMl-isms to know for the PMP Exam, Tips
for Passing the PMP Exam the First time (Rita Mulcahy) and my handy notes.

The D-day:
1. Be relaxed and do not stress out yourself. (Stop studying the previous day.)
2. People in some PMP blog suggested doing Brain Dump of all formulas. Which would cost about precious
5-7 minutes of exam time for that. However, I did not do it!
3. The quality of questions and toughness level was more than what I expected and faced before.
4. Though I finished mock tests in less than 3 hours, I took 3 hours 40 minutes to complete actual PMP exam,
later took a 5 minutes break and then I reviewed marked questions for 15 minutes before submitting the
tests.

PMP exam Question pattern:

1. Exam was stressful and good.
2. ~90% of the questions were situation based, detailed and wordy.
3.10% of questions were problematic - simple and direct questions. (no direct questions)
4. 2 CPM questions. Easy. Just to find critical path.

This was my experience. The relaxed feel of accomplishment is priceless:). I also thank my Simplilearn team, fellow PMP certified colleagues for their timely suggestion and advice. Last but not the least my Family for all the support and encouragement to complete it.

Prema.M

Staff member
Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Friends,

A roller coaster journey ended happily, when I saw “Congratulations” popping up the screen. Yes, after successfully passing the PMP exam. :)
I shall not say you do this or that, as each one of us is unique and what worked right for me will not suit you and vice versa.

Given below is my experience.

My preparation Strategy:
Though I started my plans to take PMP exam end of 2nd quarter 2019, it did not go well due to workloads at office and travels in between. Nevertheless, I set a clear target by beginning of July 2019 that I will take PMP exam in first week of September (~65 days)
1. I purchased an online PMP course from Simplilearn to understand concepts and earn PDU’s.
2. I found Simplilearn PMP useful in understanding the basics of Project Management from grass-root level.
3. Watched the training videos as a part of curriculum. Doing these simultaneously, I gained the insight on
most of the topics. Started gaining in-depth knowledge when I read Rita Mulcahy and PMBOK in parallel.
4. I suggest reading PMBOK thoroughly for about 2-3 times, this is mandatory to pass the exam!
5. All questions will be based out on PMBOK chapters.
6. I used apps for PMP, which widely available in play store / app stores to engage myself on quick handouts
provided for flash cards, formulas, ITTO’s, and questions in free time. This enabled me to review the topics
during free time.
7. I prepared my own notes for each chapter with key points, which was very handy during last minutes
before exam.

ITTOs:
Since I am poor in memorizing, I decided not to memorize the ITTOs. Instead, I referred the inter-relation of process groups, well explained in PMBOK (for all knowledge areas). My suggestions not to memorize these ITTO’s because PMBOK does not expect you to do it.

Mock Tests:
1. I took all 7 simulations of from Simplilearn (200 questions each) – Scored consistently an average of 80%.
These were easy basic questions, which helped me to check my understanding.
2. I solved all questions from Rita Mulcahy book provided end of each chapter. Scored an average of 70%
consistently. These questions are lengthy and gives hint on our knowledge on each topics.
3. Last 20 days, I took 3 full length PMP mock exams (Simplilearn), consistently scoring 80 percent. I could
finish the exam in 3 hrs.
4. After every exam, I analyzed my weak areas and referred some additional materials
5. Last 5 days, I went through discussion threads in PMP blogs, PMl-isms to know for the PMP Exam, Tips
for Passing the PMP Exam the First time (Rita Mulcahy) and my handy notes.

The D-day:
1. Be relaxed and do not stress out yourself. (Stop studying the previous day.)
2. People in some PMP blog suggested doing Brain Dump of all formulas. Which would cost about precious
5-7 minutes of exam time for that. However, I did not do it!
3. The quality of questions and toughness level was more than what I expected and faced before.
4. Though I finished mock tests in less than 3 hours, I took 3 hours 40 minutes to complete actual PMP exam,
later took a 5 minutes break and then I reviewed marked questions for 15 minutes before submitting the
tests.

PMP exam Question pattern:

1. Exam was stressful and good.
2. ~90% of the questions were situation based, detailed and wordy.
3.10% of questions were problematic - simple and direct questions. (no direct questions)
4. 2 CPM questions. Easy. Just to find critical path.

This was my experience. The relaxed feel of accomplishment is priceless:). I also thank my Simplilearn team, fellow PMP certified colleagues for their timely suggestion and advice. Last but not the least my Family for all the support and encouragement to complete it.

Hi Abhishek,

Congradulations!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.This will surely be of
great help.All the very best for your future endeavers.

Regards,
Prema
Teaching Assistant

Last edited:

_49350

Loads of information shared by you. Thank you for doing this as it gives abroad understanding. I hope to stay connected with you and bounce of some questions if i need some assistance. I have just begun my journey and excited.

Regards
Keval Kadam