Concerns about PMP Exam Update after 1 Nov 2015

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Michael L, Jun 6, 2015.

?

Should I take the exam before or after Nov 1

1. Before Nov 1

29.6%
  2. After Nov 1

70.4%
  1. Michael L

Michael L New Member

Hello all, I'm glad to find this forum and many posts here are helpful to me. I've been preparing for the PMP exam since this March and am planning to take the exam before the end of the year. I'm halfway on the PMBOK, will get my 35 contacts hours and complete practice exams by the end of November if possible.

So here are my concerns regarding to exam update:

- Schedule might be a little tight for me to take the exam before Nov 1, but the benefit is that I could do as many practice questions as possible since there are many resources out there. However if I take it after Nov 1, I may not be able to find any resources for the tasks added on the update exam

- If I take my first exam before Nov 1 but fail, and retake after Nov 1 - does that mean my second exam will be based on the update one?

It'd be great if you guys can share your experience and comments! Any feedbacks are much appreciated!

2. Jezzy

Jezzy Member

Simplilearn was instrumental in helping me to pass the PMP exam on the first try. I am sure that I could not have done it without them. All the study guides and course materials were broken down in easy to understand format, making the study process a breeze. For anyone worried about the next upcoming PMP exam, this is an ideal company to study with. Their study materials are second to none.

3. Prasad

Prasad Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Trainer

One should understand the change is only to the examination content outline and not the PMBoK 5th edition. The 5 domains which is mapped to 5 process groups Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and Closing remains same. Under these domains some tasks has been added. In total there are 8 tasks has been added.

Domain 1---Initiating the Project
    3 tasks added – task 2, task 7, task 8

Domain 2---Planning the Project
    1 task added – task 13

Domain 3---Executing the Project
    2 tasks added – task 6, task 7

Domain 4---Monitoring and controlling the project
    2 tasks added – task 6, task 7

There is no addion of tasks under Closing process group/domain.

Here is the list.

Initiating
    # Identify key deliverables based on the business requirements, in order to manage customer expectations and direct the achievement of project goals.
    # Conduct benefit analysis with stakeholders (including sponsor, customer, subject matter experts), in order to validate project alignment with organizational strategy and expected business value.
    # Inform stakeholders of the approved project charter, in order to ensure common understanding of the key deliverables, milestones, and their roles and responsibilities.
    Planning
    # Develop the stakeholder management plan by analyzing needs, interests, and potential impact, in order to effectively manage stakeholders' expectations and engage them in project decisions.

Executing
    # Manage the flow of information by following the communications plan, in order to keep stakeholders engaged and informed.
    # Maintain stakeholder relationships by following the stakeholder management plan, in order to receive continued support and manage expectations.
    Monitoring &Controlling
    # Capture, analyze, and manage lessons learned using lessons learned management techniques, in order to enable continuous improvement.
    # Monitor procurement activities according to the procurement plan, in order to verify compliance with project objectives.

As of now these are the percentage of questions distrubted across each domains.

Initiating--13%, Planning--24%, Executing--30%, M&C--25% and Closing--8%

Since there is change in number of tasks in the new proposed examination content outline, these percenatge may change.

The final examination content outline is expected to be out by 15th of June 2015 as per PMI.

Please refer to the followig links to get the details for the information and to find the difference between existing and proposed examination content outline.

http://www.pmi.org/certification/exam-changes/pmp.aspx

http://www.pmi.org/~/media/PDF/Certifications/pmp-certification-exam-outline.ashx

http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Pr...ons/PMP Examination Content Outline_2010.ashx

Coming to the question, if you take the examination after Nov 1, obviously it is based on new examination content outline.
    The other point about additional questions or the sources, the PMI always tests the concept. If you ask me there is no change in the concept with new examination content outline. The additional tasks are already part of PMBoK. For example the task under the planning, is already taken care by a process Plan stakeholder management process. Similarly, the task monitor procurement activities is covered by control procurement process.

Now it is June. If you ask me, it requires about one to two months preparation. By considering this, you can apear for the examination by July end or August Mid and clear in the first attempt.

You can always approach Simiplilearn to get any clarification.

Good Luck!!!

4. LaDonna

LaDonna Member

I understand your concern here as there will be remarkable changes between the current exam and the one that is available after Nov 1 of this year.

Right now, you have the advantage of knowing what is likely to be on the exam in terms of familiarity. Lots of practice exams will have very similar questions as the ones you would encounter on the actual exam. And there are many successful exam candidates online to talk with who can guide you through the exam process. There is however no one who has taken the new exam as it has not come out yet.

By waiting to take the exam, you surely risk not passing the new part of the exam or having to retake after the fact.

Another less desirable option is to wait until some time into next year to take the PMP exam.

My advice would be to learn all you can now and take the next available exam, rather than waiting. In this way you will have the advantage of familiarity on your side.

mlletech likes this.
  5. Nennisi Egil

Nennisi Egil Member

Of course, you have a full year from the time you are qualified and accepted to sit for the PMP exam, so use that time wisely. For instance, if you are qualified now and wait six months, then you only have six months after that to retake your exam if you fail the first time. However, I believe with proper study and instruction you are not likely to fail.

6. Bernhard Shem

Bernhard Shem Active Member

If it were me, I would plan on doing the exam before the exam changes on Nov 1 and act like you are going to. In that way, you will study all out and not hold anything back. I realize you would need to reserve the exam and pay fees, but that will be more incentive to give the studying your best now. If you wait, you might miss out on a chance to have other opportunities (job related) later on from not being certified sooner.

mlletech likes this.
  7. Sanford Sacheverrel

Is there any word as to whether or not current holders of PMP certification will be required to obtain PDU to reflect changes in post Nov 1 exam or maybe even required to retake test? This was a rumor I'd heard in one of my groups online. Just trying to get feedback on whether or not it's true.

8. Hemant Deshpande

Hemant Deshpande New Member
    Alumni

Hi Sanford,

I have not heard anything to the effect that current PMP credential holders (I am one of them) need to do anything relative to exam changes on 1 Nov. I really don't think we need to worry about retaking the test. There are regular changes happening to the content to keep it up-to-date and subsequent changes to the exam. I did my PMP back in 2009. Since then many changes to the content and exam have taken place but I never had to retake the exam. Also, I regularly receive communication from PMI and they have not communicated anything.

Hope it clarifies.

9. Dawson Caine

Dawson Caine Member

Thanks for that clarification, Hemant. I'm sure you understand how it is online with rumors, once someone starts one, it spreads like wildfire. Even a few of my own business colleagues had mentioned this as being a possibility. However, I'm not really concerned as I know the PMI will warn us adequately if something like that is ever required. I'm very happy with my certification and looking forward to keeping it a long time.

Hemant Deshpande likes this.
  10. Norina Vincelli

So long as you familiarize yourself with the RDS (role definition survey for project managers) that has been mentioned here numerous times and also referenced on PMI website, you should do fine on the new exam. Rushing into this exam now if you are not truly prepared will be a costly mistake. You should take your time and go when you feel you are ready and not give in to artificial pressure. There won't be that much difference between the exam, now and in the future, except the new content will be included. Just read and be ready. That's all you can do.

Gerald Jaideep(1121) likes this.
  11. Prasad

Prasad Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Trainer

LaVerne Sherwood likes this.
  12. LaVerne Sherwood

13. Charley Dean

Charley Dean Active Member

In addition to all mentioned previously here, be aware there will be some coverage of cross cutting knowledge and skills including:

• Active Listening
    • Applicable laws and regulations
    • Benefits realization
    • Brainstorming techniques
    • Change management techniques.
    • Decision Making
    You should really investigate these areas and addition knowledge areas not covered here as they are often missed in study.

Ludwig Schreier(2543) likes this.
  14. Carson

Carson Active Member

Assess your current knowledge base with mock tests and practice exams to ensure that you are ready. If you are testing at a higher pass rate, then you will likely be better off taking this exam before Nov 1, as you are more than well prepared for what the exam holds now.

Ludwig Schreier(2543) likes this.
  15. Om Prakash Bang

Om Prakash Bang Well-Known Member
    Alumni

PMP® exam change - Effective from 12 January 2016

Key changes include:

Business Strategy and benefit realization
    Emphasis on business strategy and benefit realization – Project managers are being involved in early stage of the project when benefit analysis is carried out. Project manager is focused on business benefits rather project deliverables throughout each domain.

Value of lessons learned
    Emphasis on lessons learned throughout entire life cycle of project instead of focus lesson learned from other project during initiating and current project lesson learned closing. Knowledge transfer is essential and effectively capturing and capitalizing on the value of project management.

Project charter responsibility
    Sponsor and customer are usually responsible for creating and approving project charter. Project Manager is participates / contribute in development of project charter. He doesn’t co-ordinate with other team member and stakeholder. Project Manager is not solely responsible for creating project charter.

Enhancing stakeholder relationship
    Emphasis on stakeholder relationship and engagement. Project Manager is responsible for building two way relationship with stakeholder rather one way communication.

Exam Change:
    25% of the exam content focuses on new topics from 8 new tasks. In addition, very large percentage of question are new and updated.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  16. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Looks as if the test change has been pushed out to January 2016.

That said, great coverage of the changes. PMI supports PM advancing in Business acumen as well as Leadership. One consideration is that this credential and PMI's recommended path supports us all becoming leaders no matter which door we walk through.

Funny - in some ways, at least the leadership information has been there all along. PMBOK 5th ed., pg 513 (interpersonal skills) gives a great overview of what PMI considers leadership 'must-haves'.

17. Om Prakash Bang

Om Prakash Bang Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Yes Tim, PMP® exam is changing in 2016.

Update: The PMP exam update has moved to 11 January 2016 to allow all stakeholders adequate time to prepare for this change.
    The current exam (aligned to the existing exam content outline) will remain active until 11 January 2016.
    After 11 January 2016, only the new version of the PMP exam will be administered.

Aynur Gurbanova likes this.
  18. manjunatha

manjunatha New Member
    Alumni

would Simplilearn online course is updated to accommodate the changes that are happening in reference to tasks....

19. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

Yes Manjunath, we are working on it and the changes on the tasks update will be released sometime in September.

20. bhanu.k

bhanu.k New Member
    Alumni

Hi,

The exam is changing in 11 Jan 2016 not Nov 1st 2015
    Regards,
    Bhanu.

21. Jason Saetrum

Jason Saetrum Active Member
    Trainer

22. RAJA TOUSEEF AHMAD

RAJA TOUSEEF AHMAD New Member
    Alumni

Hi Vinutha,

I am going through Simplilearn course content, I see that slides have been added into the ebook and as per new exam pattern chapter 16 has been added(2015 version). Can you please tell me if chapter 1 to 15 are unchanged in simplilearn book, 2014 (since PMBOK is also unchanged).

23. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

Hi Manjunath,

The recent release of PMP course by Simplilearn the changes have been made both in elearning and ebook. In case you have access to the old content - 2014, no changes are made to it.

24. SYED HISSAMUDDIN

Alumni

Are thePMP simulation test's question updated/added/designed to incorporate the 2016 change from PMI

25. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

Hi Syed,

Yes even the question papers have undergone revision.

26. pramod_shinde

pramod_shinde Member
    Alumni

Hi Vinutha

Can you give us link to ebook please ?

27. Alisha_1

Alisha_1 Simplilearn Support Community Manager
    Staff Member Simplilearn Support

Hi Pramod,

To download E-book/Offline course content click on the course name under online self-learning tab and download the desired offline content from “Downloads” section.

28. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

Hello,

Did the calculator on the exam have these keys? I mean the one that is a part of the exam that you can use.

M+
    M-
    Mr

X to the y power
    X to the 3 power

29. Hanuma_1

Hanuma_1 Member

Do the five simulation tests, cover the new exam content also that is changed after Nov 2015??

30. AmerNatarajan

AmerNatarajan Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support Alumni

The simulation tests are as per the new guidelines