Confused about burndown in Jira for completed August ACP course certificate

Discussion in 'Agile and Scrum' started by Becky Kaplan Farone, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Becky Kaplan Farone

Hello,
    I am currently working on the final project to get my certificate of completion from the August ACP instructor-led course I took.

I need clarification on some of the instructions:

1. The required screenshots list is different in Rakesh's email from 4 Sept compared to the download we were instructed to follow from one of the attachments (Agile-Project) he included in his email. What is the real list of required screenshots?

2. The instructions say to "spend at least an hour" but they also say to have at minimum, a "5 day sprint." Am I to "fake" a 5 day sprint in one hour by simply moving all cards from To do, to In progress, to Done in one sitting?

FYI, I tried that but then the burn down chart is just one long vertical red line down the X axis.

3. Do I need to log progress in each story as I move it over then? I tried this by adding
    time "Remaining" to each story but the unit i estimated was in story points?? this is very confusing.
    • Do I need to update the estimates at all? if yes, do I do so using "Time remaining" or "Log time?" And how does that relate to the original estimate in STORY POINTS??
    • I know I can turn off the Time tracking - but if I do that, how do I update how much work has been completed for a story in order for the burn down chart to show progress?
    FYI - I have spent a ton of time reading the Jira documentation and trying multiple sprints using different methods but still do not have a clear result to show for documentation so I can get my certif and move on the submitting an application to take the ACP.

Thanks!
    Becky

2. Rakesh Deshpande

Rakesh Deshpande Moderator
    Simplilearn Support

Hello Becky,

I think I can answer this question better.

1. The ones I mentioned are mandatory. In case, you forget to take the Product/ Sprint Backlog screenshot but rest are must.. A burn down chart would help. Rest screenshots depends as you proceed. If you would like you can add more.

2. I guess you cannot do that, because as your proceed each day with 1 hour.. the burndown chart graph would reflect accordingly. You are supposed to work each day for an hour for a 5 day sprint.

3. For now, if you have assigned the estimates to the issues then I guess you must have followed fibonacci series. You can assign those radom numbers and add it the sprint.. As you change the estimates from the score board from TODO to PROGRESS and so on.. The burn chart would reflect the same. In case if you don't work with Time constraint and estimates are worked properly ( Day wise ) then you would get the chart..

Hope this is helpful.!

3. Becky Kaplan Farone

thank you Rakesh - this provides some info but not all:

still issues in #3:

a) using story point estimates/Fibonacci: simply moving a card from TODO to PROGRESS does nothing to change the burn down chart

b) if I am supposed to manually make changes, I do not see any way to update estimates provided in story points/fibonacci AFTER the sprint has started. See below - I also tried opening the story up in its own window

upload_2017-10-4_12-29-29.png

upload_2017-10-4_12-30-29.png

4. Rakesh Deshpande

Simplilearn Support

Hello Becky,

If you are trying to change the estimate after the sprint started then I would recommend not to do that. Instead you proceed with the previous estimates assigned.

With respect to the burn down chart, Please complete 1 sprint with more than 2 days by making changes during morning , after or evening so that it captures different time frames. Once you complete the sprint , you can go ahead and check it.

I am sure it will be available.

5. Becky Kaplan Farone

I have things working now - thanks!
    Becky

Rakesh Deshpande likes this.
  6. Training Administrator(4379)

Alumni

You are welcome.

Simplilearn Team.

7. debbie_14

debbie_14 Well-Known Member

My questions about setting up the Smart Weather Project in JIRA - I would still like to speak to someone, but hope to receive some answers here ASAP:
    1. To confirm, we can have 2-day sprints yes?
    2. Will I need to teach the team members I invite how to use the app or what to do? My friends don't have an hour a day to spend on this project! How can I instruct them on what to do when I'm struggling!? How will they gain access to the app?
    3. Can epics be created from the backlog of the main portal and the backlog of work items from the project (cafe or life insurance) we choose? or do all epics need to be created from main portal and stories developed to answer questions based on the project?
    Thank you in advance for your patience and answers.
    Debbie

8. Rakesh Deshpande

Simplilearn Support

Hello Debbie,

I hope the discussion with me was helpful. I am answering the above questions :

1. To confirm, we can have 2-day sprints yes? - Yes. !!
    2. Will I need to teach the team members I invite how to use the app or what to do? My friends don't have an hour a day to spend on this project! How can I instruct them on what to do when I'm struggling!? How will they gain access to the app?-You can just invite them, it is not mandate that they have to login and work with you.
    3. Can epics be created from the backlog of the main portal and the backlog of work items from the project (cafe or life insurance) we choose? or do all epics need to be created from main portal and stories developed to answer questions based on the project?- As discussed, you need to create the stories and it to the 1 or 2 epics.
    Hope this is helpful.