Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

CPM Question - Need Assistance in Understanding Correct Answer

Samuel R cook

PMP Community,

Below is a question on a practice quiz. I'm looking for assistance in understanding the process for arriving at the correct answer. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Question:

You are leading a construction project that requires building ten nearly identical buildings. Although you can start the construction of all the buildings at the same time, some constraints such as site access, geographical terrain and construction feasibility, limit you to construct these in a specific order. The schedule of construction is shown below (all durations are in weeks). If everything goes by the plan, what will be the maximum number of buildings that will be constructed at any given point it time. (see attached diagram)

upload_2020-9-12_9-9-29.png

Multiple Choice Options
(a) 2
(b) 3
(c) 4
(d) 5

I selected (b) 3, which was incorrect.

The correct answer is (c) 4.

Explanation: Note that the network diagram is not developed on a chronological scale. If everything goes by the plan, construction on each building should start at its early start date. It can be seen that between weeks 10 and 11, four buildings (B, C, F and G) will be progressing at the same time. [PMBOK® Guide 6th edition, page 210]

I would appreciate it if someone could further explain why the answer is (c).

Thank you.

Sam C

Support Simplilearn(4685)

Staff member
Alumni
PMP Community,

Below is a question on a practice quiz. I'm looking for assistance in understanding the process for arriving at the correct answer. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Question:

You are leading a construction project that requires building ten nearly identical buildings. Although you can start the construction of all the buildings at the same time, some constraints such as site access, geographical terrain and construction feasibility, limit you to construct these in a specific order. The schedule of construction is shown below (all durations are in weeks). If everything goes by the plan, what will be the maximum number of buildings that will be constructed at any given point it time. (see attached diagram)

View attachment 11437

Multiple Choice Options
(a) 2
(b) 3
(c) 4
(d) 5

I selected (b) 3, which was incorrect.

The correct answer is (c) 4.

Explanation: Note that the network diagram is not developed on a chronological scale. If everything goes by the plan, construction on each building should start at its early start date. It can be seen that between weeks 10 and 11, four buildings (B, C, F and G) will be progressing at the same time. [PMBOK® Guide 6th edition, page 210]

I would appreciate it if someone could further explain why the answer is (c).

Thank you.

Sam C

@Sreidhar D(1820)

Hi Sreidhar Sir,

Kindly help us with this query.