Integrated Change Control Steps

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Mamta jain, Aug 14, 2019 at 2:53 PM.

1. Mamta jain

Mamta jain Member

A customer approaches the project manager to slightly modify the project scope to include an additional feature required by him. The project is already in the execution stage. What should be the response of the project manager?

a)It is difficult to incorporate this feature as the project is already moved out of planning stage
    b) Analyze the impact of the request on the other factors of triple constraints namely cost and schedule
    c) Bring the change request to Change Control Board to decide on its fate
    d) Document the change request as per the project change management plan

Answer is D however as per so many threads and understanding of PICC , shouldn't impact analysis be the first thing to do ?

Adding another one for clarification here:

A customer who is in the latter part of the project execution wants to add scope to the project. The project manager discusses this change with the customer and raises a written change request. He then evaluates if this change can be addressed through project reserves and explores alternatives. The project manager finds that this addition would result in missing the next milestone delivery of the project . What should the project manager do NEXT?

SELECT THE CORRECT ANSWER

a)Evaluate the impact of the change on other factors of triple constraint-cost and time
    b)Perform integrated change control
    c)Get an approval from the Change Control Board
    d)Update the project baseline and inform the customer

Answer is C however shouldn't he first evaluate impact on other constraints as well

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:11 PM
  2. _49203

_49203 Active Member

Following - I was just about to ask this question as well :)

For #2 above,

A) I think we are supposed to assume that he has already analyzed the impact on the entire project...and only schedule is impacted
    B) We are already doing this by evaluating the impact....
    D) This is done after C
    >>> so the next step is answer is C. But I'm happy to hear what others think!

3. _49203

_49203 Active Member

To ensure I understand the PICC process thoroughly - am I correct in that option D would follow option C? Thank you.

You are managing a critical project with frequent changes in requirement. You are in the testing phase of the project, and the customer has requested an addition of a new feature. You have assessed the impact of the change on the triple constraints with your team. What should be your NEXT step?

Raise a change request form and send it for approval to change control board
    Look for alternative options including schedule compression techniques like crashing and fast tracking
    Analyze the impact of the change on the project's quality objectives and quality planning
    Update the project management plans and other project documents including project baselines
    Correct Option:C

Explanation

It is important to analyze the impact of change on not only the triple constraints, but also on the quality. The Project Manager needs to determine whether the quality objectives and quality planning needs to be modified to address the changes. Option (b) is already addressed as part of assessing the impact on the triple constraints.