Is certification even necessary?

Discussion in 'Other Project Management Courses' started by Dardaigh, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Dardaigh

Dardaigh Member

Not to start a debate here, but is certification for Project Management related jobs even necessary? I was reading how most of these jobs are simply knowledge or experience based, such as where an engineer is recruited to over see a large project within a department. That person might not have a Project Management credential, however they are still able to do the job. I want your feedback on whether or not someone working as a project manager would really require a certification?

2. Jeniffer

Jeniffer Member

Without testing and certification, your potential employer has no way to ensure you actually have the knowledge you are claiming. After all, anyone could say they have experience or knowledge, but a test confirms it. Certification in PMP or any other project management specialty gives you proof that you are well versed in all relevant project management topics related to your job.

3. Cullen

Cullen Active Member

Though you might have obtained a job ten years ago as project manager (or in quality management or other profession) without certification, it's unlikely you will now. Only those with extensive work history as well as certifications are being considered now. And, you will put yourself at a great advantage by becoming certified in any career path you wish to pursue.

4. Viki

Viki Member

As for me such certification looks good in CV. I'm sure that from two equal candidates will be chosen the one with certification. Also you can communicate with a lot of people from professional field. And the main it gives you extra knowledge. But anyway certification is costly and preparation takes a lot of time. So, it is up to each person.

Trafford likes this.
  5. Trafford

Trafford Member

Certification is good for any profession or career path, not just project management. Obtaining my certification for Six Sigma was the best thing I've done so far for my career and has opened up new possibilities of employment that were not available before. So many people question the logic of certification, but I see it as the only way.

6. Jody Bates

Jody Bates Member

A PMP certification is usually considered highly desirable by an employer.

However, just consider how long it takes to earn the required experience before you can even qualify to sit for the exam. You might need three to five years before even being allowed to take the exam. And, that could be more if all your time on the job was not spent managing project.

7. Randall Cooper

Typically, jobs that require a PMP certification will be for mid- to senior-level IT project management positions for candidates with a minimum of five to 11 or more years of experience.