Is CompTIA credential right for me?

Discussion in 'IT Hardware and Networking' started by Jonathan Baker, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Jonathan Baker

I have extensive experience in trouble-shooting my own computer, setting up home network(s) and installing software. I have no formal college training in computers and completely self taught. If there's a problem with my computer, I always Google it to find out how to fix. I'm trying to get a job that requires a credential. I don't think I would get the job without the CompTIA. Do you think I would have enough knowledge to pass this exam? Also, is the CompTIA credential considered impressive, such as it could help me land a job?

2. William

William Member

Jonathan, my brother is just like you! No college, and no formal training but I don't know of anyone who is more qualified with Cisco Routing, and Big Iron servers...the man knows network better than anyone. He can quote you EIA/TIA Specs...of course it helps that he has an eidetic memory. But because he owns his own company he really never bothered. Howver if you're working for someone else CompTIA will get your foot in the door. As to; do you have enough knowledge to pass an exam? The best way to tell Jonathan would be go online and challenge yourself with a few free sample tests, if you ace them GREAT go take the test, if not each sample test will point to your weaknesses. Which could shorten the learning curve for you. Could ComTIA help you land a job? Without a doubt yes, it is a respected credential.

3. Delilah James

Delilah James Member

With so much practical hands on experience at computers, you would be perfect for the CompTIA certification. But, without this certification, your potential employer has no proof that you know what you are doing and might not just give you the chance at a job.

So this CompTIA certification provides the proof you need, even if you don't have an associate's or bachelor's degree in a related discipline. You should really take this opportunity to take any training course you can to prepare for and take the CompTIA as most professionals say this is the one certification that helped them get a foot in the door with an entry level computer/IT job.

Certainly, this certification would be your entry into the IT field even without previous job experience. And, after being hired you could take time to get more specific certifications such as CompTIA Network+ or others more appropriate for your specific job duties.

If you have more questions on this, you should visit the official CompTIA site where you can read more success stories from those who have obtained the CompTIA certification.

http://certification.comptia.org/news/2013/12/18/what-a-did-for-me