Passed PMP on 7th May

Discussion in 'PMP' started by imtiaz.dk(2776124), May 17, 2020.

1. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

imtiaz.dk(2776124) Active Member
    Alumni

Hi All,

Cleared my PMP certification on 7th May after being moved my exam date a couple of times due to the COVID-19 situation... Cleared with AT/AT/AT/AT/AT is all 5 domains.

Thanks a tonne @tim jerome for all the help during my application audit and your wonderful situation based examples which made understanding the concept easier.

So as I said earlier my exam got cancelled a couple of times due to COVID-19 when PMI came with this Online Proctor... I booked my exam for 3rd May morning at 5am due to the new rules that came with Online proctoring...

There are a couple of things you should especially take care of the new rules.
    1. You are not allowed to use any pen and paper, so forget about making any braindump.
    2. You are allowed to use a whiteboard, this is similar to MS Paint - difficult to use, so prefer not to take any notes before the start of the exam rather try to understand the process flow and remember the concepts of all formulas rather than learning and remembering them
    3. There are a couple of new rules, like no headphones, no mobiles, no AC remotes, no smartphones or any other gadgets allowed in the reachable distance in and around your table. The proctor may ask you to turn your laptop around to show him a complete view of your work desk.
    4. Make sure all notes are cleared, books are out of sight.
    5. You are not allowed to cover your face, read questions aloud, no one is allowed to enter your room during the exam
    6. Most important, the new online proctor comes with a break of 10 mins. This break starts on Question 90 and is not counted against your 240 minutes... If you wish to continue without taking this break you can. But if you take this break the system will ask you to review these 90 questions first, as post-break, you won't be able to review these 90 questions.. Exactly after 10 minutes your exam starts again and the count down starts.

This community has been a great help in my preparation for this long-awaited certification. It's now my turn to give it back to this community Happy to answer any queries you may have. Attached you can find my result :)
    PMP scores.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. Smita_45

Smita_45 Member

This is very helpful . Thanks . congratulations .Can you please elaborate your preparation for the exam ? what you refereed etc

imtiaz.dk(2776124) likes this.
  3. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Sure Smita... Sorry for this delayed response

Tim's OR Sridhar's videos and the session notes are more than enough for your understanding of the topic. As far as preparation for the exams is concerned, you definitely need something extra like a few quick YouTube videos which can refresh your knowledge and understanding within minutes. So what I am talking about are these quick 4-5 mins videos on each topic available on YouTube like 7 Quality Tools, Project Managers forms of Power, Critical Path Method, Earned Value Management, Change Request data flow, WPD, WPI, and WPR data flow etc. These are a MUST, I have listed down a few which are very very important (I hope I am allowed to share stuff from outside this forum and not breaching the code of conduct. If not, moderator of this site if free to delete this post). But whatever I will share is available for free on the Internet.

As you will appreciate that the exam is 4 hours long and almost 90% of questions are situational, wherein you need to pay 100% attention to details asked, understand which process you are in according to the situation explained in the exam, and accordingly select the answer. All this needs you to be 100% attentive and can ONLY be achieved if you practice sitting for these 4 hours at a stretch. This can be easily achieved by giving as many mock exams as possible. Try giving full exams without a break. If you are going for some simulators(apart from 7 mock exams from SimpliLearn which I would recommend), spend more time understanding why you got the answers incorrect, and a good way to do this is to go back to PMBOK for reference. Don't try reading PMBOK cover to cover, rather use it as a reference.

Login to PMI and apply for PMP Practice test, PMI is providing this for free. This will help you understand the terminology you should expect in the final test.

Few videos you can refer to are:
    *Ricardo Vargas Process Flow -
    PMBOK Guide Mainline -
    Simple Core ITTO process -
    Change Request Data Flow -
    *Aileen Ellis – Outputs -
    *Aileen Ellis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGq-34iSVM
    Critical Path Method - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgv1BW1lCU
    PICC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA9PkCOAUQE&feature=youtu.be
    Organizational Charts - https://youtu.be/Rm8gbnwf4HE
    Earned Value - https://youtu.be/pC1-TwwKkq8
    *Quality Tools - https://youtu.be/BXaMq2trk18
    Forms of Power - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxzU5RgyejI&list=PLWcvFkRbuunkGxHEy02MiNsdmEBYJTo8o&index=4
    Plan Risk Management - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Nmiyz_ipM
    *Aileen Ellis – Path of Deliverables - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RDumvdcIR0

List of some mock exams available on the web:
    1. PMP Practice exam from PMI
    2. Paid test on Udemy
    3. PM Prepcast Simulator (free 200 questions)
    4. Simplilearn – 7 full mock tests
    5. PMP Exam Prep – 50 Qs
    6. PMP Pocket Prep app for on the go exams

Below are my scores before I decided to take the exam and the result was Above Target in all 5 domains.
    upload_2020-5-20_20-28-48.png

Lastly, don't forget notes from @tim jerome are a must... Review them a day before the exam.

Hope all of this helps.... Best of luck with your preparation :)

4. Soumen Mahapatra

Alumni

How to calculate the mathematical question? can we use calculator?

5. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

The exam portal has an in-built calculator and a white-board that you can use as and when needed.

You are provided with 10 minutes overview before the start of your exam to get familiarized with the portal. It is a tutorial that shows you all features and where to find them. Make sure you spend these 10 minutes before you start your exam.

Hope it helps

Saurabh Godbole likes this.
  6. Ankita Chamuah

Hi Imtiaz,
    Can you tell us how long you prepared. Like from the time you joined the Simplilearn classroom training. Can we plan to give in exam in 3-4 months time frame.

BTW, Congratulations!!!

7. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Thanks, Ankita.

Yes, 3 months sounds reasonable enough provided you give at least 2 hours a day and more effort on weekends... Don't drag it post that

The approach I have given above is derived after due consideration.. Imagine you doing all of that, you will definitely need a month or so... I would stress giving more and more mock exams because knowledge is one thing and time management is another... You need to get yourself trained to understand the question within 1 minute and try to select the best answer of 4. If you spend 4 hours giving a test, spend 6 hours trying to analyze your incorrect answers, refer PMBOK guide for the sections you are getting incorrect. I feel that is the right approach to refer to PMBOK

Hope this helps and best of luck for the preparation

8. Smita_45

Smita_45 Member

Thank you so much . Highly appreciate . Big help for everyone who are preparing themselves for pmp exam.

9. Saurabh Godbole

Hi Imtiaz,

Congratulations on your PMP exam result. Also thanks a lot for above information. It will help a lot in preparing for exam. I am yet to start simulation test for unlocking certificate on simplilearn. Planning to do it this week.

Thank you,

Saurabh

10. Adithiyaa M

Adithiyaa M Member

Is Rita Mulchahy's PMP Book really required for preparing for the exam? I do not have one. And want to know if I really need to buy one and difficult to get one in this COVID situation or Just, SL mock exams, other online mock exams, SL notes and classes , youtube videos and PMBOK is sufficient.

11. Ahmed Ibrahim

Ahmed Ibrahim New Member

Congratulations imtiaz

As i'm new to this forum could you please provide links for " notes from @@tim jerome" and the below tests

2. Paid test on Udemy
    3. PM Prepcast Simulator (free 200 questions)
    4. Simplilearn – 7 full mock tests
    5. PMP Exam Prep – 50 Qs
    6. PMP Pocket Prep app for on the go exams

Thanks

12. Anitha V

Anitha V New Member

Hi Imtiaz, Congratulations !! Thanks for the links and informations about how one should prepare for the exams. The details even about the practice tests is simply wonderful.

13. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Thanks Saurabh and best of luck with your preparations.... Shoot if you have any doubts and I will try my best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

14. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Hello Adithiyaa,

You will get mixed responses from several candidates who have completed there certifications and have referred to other study materials than PMBOK...

Few think Rita is good, others feel it is too detailed and takes a lot of time and effort to read through..
    Few think HeadFirst PMP is a good substitute
    Few go for Andy Crowe

But believe me, if you have gone through SimpliLearns 35 hours video or classroom trainings and referred PMBOK as and when required you should be good as far as gaining knowledge is concerned... Now just review the short videos on YouTube to brush up your knowledge on different topics, try to understand the flow of processes, and give as many mock exams as possible. Once you start scoring 75% and above you are ready for the exam

Let me know if you need any specific details and I would be happy to help

Saurabh Godbole and Smita_45 like this.
  15. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Thanks Anitha.. Hope it benefits everyone who is looking for specifics

16. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Hello Ahmed,

Have you attended any online trainings on SimpiLearn as yet.. I attended 2 of them Sriedhar and Timothy Jerome, both were equally good. During the sessions they used to prepare notes for the entire class and share it post the session... If you still have your access try registering to the sessions and you can find the link to google drives where these notes are stored...

As far as links to these tests are concerned, they are available on the web. Try searching it on the internet and you will find relevant tests.

17. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Hello Ahmed,

Here is the link to notes of one of the recent sessions of Tim going on... These notes are updated after every session. The duration of this session is 18th May to 10th June.. so ideally 10th June, you should get a final version of the file uploaded on below Google Drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jVFC_-A_nlHOZf_aEiqjo76_teCgiOrz

Saurabh Godbole likes this.
  18. Essien Emem Wyse-Ojo

Thank you so much. I'll do...

19. ummer bava(2198)

ummer bava(2198) Active Member

Hi imtiaz,

If we take the exam online, how we know whether we failed or passed once the exam is complete and before getting official mail from PMI

20. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Hello Ummer,
    You get a congratulations message immediately when you submit your exam.

You can find your exam results on the PearsonVue website... On the same link which you will use to start the exam. Login to your account using PMI credentials and open the Dashboard. On the right-hand side click on 'View Score Reports' (see attached image for reference)
    upload_2020-6-7_0-41-27.png

The detailed exam summary will be updated on the PMI website and you will receive an email in 24 hours post-certification.

Hope this helps :)

21. ummer bava(2198)

ummer bava(2198) Active Member

Hi Imtiaz,

I had taken exam today morning and saw the congratulation message. and in the evening, i got the mail from PMI stating that i paased the exam.

22. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Awesome Mr. PMP. That's great news... Congratulations :)

23. Essien Emem Wyse-Ojo

Wow Big Congratulations...Happy for you...please share lessons learned like Imtiaz

24. Essien Emem Wyse-Ojo

Hey Guys, I passed too...Here's my story:\

Okay first I want to say a Big Thank you to Cabilan. You are a good guy and don’t worry I owe you BIG!!!
    I started studying about 2weeks after Shridhar’s class but I wasn’t doing it very seriously because I have a toddler and it’s not easy with kids and trying to be committed. Thankfully my mother came to help me so I started seriously towards the end of May. I had asked a friend of mine Julius how he studied and he told me he did only Rita, me I didn’t want to focus on only one book so I adopted Sridhar’s method of reading both books (Rita and PMBok and Simplilearn Materials). After Sridhar’s class I registered for another one which started on the 5th of June and ended on the 3rd of July.
    I did one Chapter from Rita, same one from PMBOK and a day in both books then I started the second class. It was taken by Tim. I had Cabilan drilling me almost every week with different questions and som free resources like OliverLehman and Udemy.
    I joined Simplilearn community and saw 2 ppl passed Imtiaz and Ummerbrava. They also told me what I needed to do and it involves studying for 3months and reading Rita and PMBok 3times. I new I didn’t have 3months to study cuz my mum won’t be available for that long so I used some YouTube videos Imtiaz recommended and started taking the tests Cabilan sent to me while attending Tim’s class every Friday and Saturday night.
    It was a lot but I didn’t have much time, some people didn’t understand why I was reading the way I was reading, my mum was leaving in like 6weeks and that’s the time I had to study.
    I connected with some guys who had written PMP last year on LinkedIn. They asked when I planned to write and I had 2weeks till that date, they advised that I start past questions which I started doing every day and I scored 70-79.5. Unfortunately I never got to 80 but I needed to pay b4 the 30th June because of a discount PMI was giving. A day to my exam I had stopped reading, infact I was tired of looking at books so I didn’t read anything. Infact 3days to my exams I did Simplilearn 4,5 and 6, I couldn’t do the Test 7.
    My questions seemed to easy and to be fair I didn’t think I will pass because I felt it was too easy. I finished the test in 3hrs 20mins. I didn’t have any agile, had more calculations than I thought possible, 2 CPM, 1 EMV - Risk, and up to 3 cost questions and yes I forgot on comm channel.
    No theory questions whatsoever, a lot of CR questions, Process related situational questions, what will you do? As pm what will you do? Kind of questions.
    I took the test from home and not at a center, you cannot read the questions out, no scratch paper and you cannot cover your mouth. It was very easy and I was not as tense as when I took it in 2015.
    I should include that I prayed a lot, I didn’t have the luxury of time and I didn’t know if I was ready since I was not scoring 80% consistently. I only scored it once... even when I was taking the test, when I got to number 84 I will say out loud “God please help me, don’t let me fail this exam please” I got to 168 I repeated the prayer “God please help me, don’t let me fail this exam please” until I got to the end. Before I clicked on Submit, I prayed again. Then I bent my head down because I wasn’t sure, it seemed too easy and I finished way before time.
    Then I raised my head and saw, Congratulations you have passed the PMP exam, you should be proud of yourself for this accomplishment, I was relieved at least I passed.
    My advise, take as many questions as you can just before you take the tests, don’t look down on Simplilearn tests. I only did Simplilearn test 1ce not more than once. Ask for help, you can always learn sth new

25. imtiaz.dk(2776124)

Alumni

Congratulations PMP!..... Happy for you :)