Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PG Agile - Agile Methodologies APR 3- APR 11, 2021

What rules have you set for yourself as you do this course?

My rules are as I complete all the online learning to apply as much of it to my work as possible. As part of senior management, I want to look for opportunities to implement Agile, with the basis being a focus on team input.

What do you consider as success criteria or outcomes for yourself post course?

Moving forward in my career or even into a parallel work type (i.e. implementations of banking software) where adaptability and teamwork are more the focus of results.

First of all i want to know detail about agile.so tht i can get a job.and the rules are
1.I respond to all changes in the eviroment at any time.
2.I think i will have better opertunity after doing this course.
3.There is a technical gap in my carrior so i think this course will be help me in that.
4.And because of this course i can able to communicate with differnt professinal people .
5.My success criteria is i will be a good scrum master or product owner after doing this course.

Last edited:
Exercise response for April 03rd class
Reason for taking the course
  1. To facilitate career advancement - a certification course from UMASS is considered to be an excellent standing in Industry hence will help me to get promoted
  2. Refresh Agile culture and methodology understanding; there is always something new to learn that I can use in my work
Rules:
  1. Complete all self-learning module ahead of time
  2. Attend live online classes to validate learning, know details
  3. Interact in the live class with Q&A; share thoughts, ask questions and receive feedback
  4. Set aside 4 - 6 hours per week to complete coursework

Outcome and success criteria
  1. A broad based improved understand of Agile principles, Agile project management best practices, most popular agile methodologies and scaling principle
  2. Take away some agile scaling tools/techniques that I can use in my work
  3. Technique on how to coach senior management on benefits of Agile

Rules for M. Boyne:

1. Read 2 books on Agile Philosophy and Scrum Framework by May 31, 2021.
  2. Select 10 case studies on Agile/Scrum for development of an MBA class in Project Management by June 30, 2021
  3. Select 20 peer reviewed journal articles for class by July 31, 2021
  4. Devote 1 hour a day to UMASS class through Simpllearn Monday-Saturday and for readings
  5. Benchmark MBA Scrum/Agile classes that include Design Thinking
  6. Interview 3 Program Managers in industry for knowledge requirements (Raytheon, General Atomics, Qualcomm)

Success Criteria:

1. 12 actionable lectures and case studies taking students through the Agile Phiosophy and Scrum Framework for new product development (hardware and software) ready by January 1, 2022
  2. Complete UMASS certificate on time
  3. Syllabus complete by November 1, 2022
  4. Draft research proposal for Agile/Scrum integration into High Reliability Organizing models (Boeing 737 Max software design flaw)

First of all i want to know detail about agile.so tht i can get a job.and the rules are
1.I respond to all changes in the eviroment at any time.
2.I think i will have better opertunity after doing this course.
3.There is a technical gap in my carrior so i think this course will be help me in that.
4.And because of this course i can able to communicate with differnt professinal people .
5.My success criteria is i will be a good scrum master or product owner after doing this course.

Each principle in a phrase or picture
1. 1617546907177.png
2. Change request= of course!
3.working software, working software, working software; keep it coming
4. 1617547169117.pngEVERYDAY
5.Trust Motivated Individuals
6. Face-to-face
7.Working software=progress
8.&9. SMARTS (Sustainable Excellence)
10. Simplicity
11. Sef-organizing best
12. Self moderate

10. Maximizing the work not done and simplifying seems counterintuitive to proving your value. "Me, my team are imperative bc we have done less..."
This likely ties into the challenge of adopting agile because of safeguarding self interests. Very difficult in the western world.

#6 face to face exchange of information to be most effective and efficient, is likely the most challenging in a distributed/remote work environment. Teams and Zoom help but nonverbal communication is still lost and makes difficult to find the real meaning of what is said or left unsaid.

Misinterpretations of Agile
-Getting rid of required documentation and processes without changing the development approach
-Calling a 15-minute status and instruction meeting a daily standup call
-Expecting a fully developed product right away - not understanding that the product will be delivered iteratively
-Thinking that Agile is something that can simply be switched on/off like a light switch

In my company, Agile is viewed by some as an opportunity or excuse to get rid of the more laborious parts of the project management and software development lifecycles without understanding that Agile requires them to engage in the software development process in a different way. They cannot simply hand over the requirements, walk away, and expect the development team to provide them with a finished product in half or a third of the previous timeframe. The process that my team supports ensures that all of the impacted Technology teams/domains are aware of the new work and have resource capacity to engage in the project. In many ways, we are acting as a bridge between the teams who are actively transitioning to Agile right now and those who are still working in a hybrid or waterfall manner.

• Problems because:
  • Agile is seen as a managerial process rather than cultural intent or philosophy
  • Agile as a quick fix solution
  • Agile as a fad
  • Agile as an extension of Lean Thinking
  • Agile as specific to software
  • Agile as Scrum alone
  • Agile as Kanban alone
  • Agile as more “consultant speak”
  • Agile as concurrent engineering
  • My opinion/observation…in order to work in organizations that did not begin as “agile”, and that is not egalitarian, cultural change must be the first step using a large scale-systemic approach throughout the organization. The cultural approach has to be planned centrally but executed in a decentralized fashion beginning with the education of middle management. Then, middle management should be entrusted with educating the workforce in the new culture, and the middle management should be empowered and held accountable for execution. Every middle manager should be a “scrum master”.

• List of the reasons of popularity of Scum
  • Scrum is not afraid of changes
  • Scrum allows the incremental development of features
  • Testing is an integrative component of Scrum at every sprint.
  • Scrum involves all the participants of the project
  • Customers see results fast, and they are involved at regular intervals.

Good Morning, I am Kashish Nair working as a Sales Rep in SunshineBox.
SunshineBox is an ecommerce company that has been selling sustainable gift items
over the years now and has established a steady business to create an equitable market platform for the local artisian.
This year we are are curating a Diwali festival special by developing an android app so that millions of people can order the gift items for their loved ones
on tip of their finger that will be delivered on time all over the country.
I've had a many clients whose businesses have been saved because of our genius solution.
I know we can do the same for you. Would you be interested in learning more?

Sunshine Box is an ecommerce company creating an equitable marketplace platform for local artisans. To extend their business they plan to create a mobile app with multifunctional use for an online chopping experience. Their goal is to launch the app within 3 months. How are you interacting with local artisans, and how far is the reach?

Imagine showcasing your work in a place where many customers will be able to see/browse it, and compare you with your competitor and then ultimately buy it? We, at Sunshine box, will be launching a Mobile App where we will make your dream come true. We have been selling gifts items for over 2 years now and we believe that our suppliers and customers should communicate with customers in real time at any time, where we will be serving our customers at the comfort of their own homes 24x7x365days a year. This Mobile App will enable our customers to securely search for anything they would like, browse different categories, upload their pictures and have wide range of shopping activities once they have sign-in.

SunshineBox provides an immersive sustainable artisan products shopping experience through our mobile app, anywhere. Each product is unique, hand crafted and made from environment friendly materials only. Would you like to feel wow!?

Creating an Elevator Pitch

Hello, my name is Olga Sheehan from Sunshine Box company. I am currently developing a mobile application for customers with a busy life schedule and preference for shopping online for our unique Diwali artisan products. Would you like to have the option to check our Diwali products online as well? Our application lets you shop on the go and check out/search images of our new products and be in touch with our customer team. Those are all features that will make the shopping experience unique and will bring value to our customers. My goal is to bring a new application in 3 months that everyone will be able to send a gift for Diwali celebrations to their friends/family worldwide.

Hello All,

My name is Roxanne Anderson representing the Sunshine Box organization. I am an Agile Project Manager who helps artisans target their customers in a cost-effective and time-effective manner, especially since the Harvard Business Review states that "78 percent believe their organization is benefiting from (or could benefit from) agile working across the company" So, based on my experience I am confident that my team will be able to address your requirements by implementing the appropriate project management methodology as Sunshine Box is a company that on the principles of valuing our customers.

SunShineBox Android app Epics

Here are the list of epics, purpose and dependencies
Epic #Epic NamePurposeDependenciesAssumptions
SSB-1Launch Home Page for customersProvide capability to the app user to lauch the SunShineBox home pageWireframes, Infrastructure
SSB-2Build product searching capability for the customerBrowse/Search products on the app based on parametersSSB-1, SSB-5Assume some products are already available
SSB-3Build Sign InSign In with email and password. Guest checkout should be allowed. Unregistered users may be requested to be registered first. Allows device SSO using 1 time autehticationSSB-1
SSB-4Cart and CheckoutCapability to add products in cart, pay and ship to an address. Allows device SSO using 1 time autehticationSSB-1, SSB-2, SSB-3
SSB-5Artisan onboardingAn artisan can onboard products with pictures and quantities in handSSB-3

Working Agreement:

1. Whatever we discuss, let's stick to that discussion and timebox that as well.
2. If we are going on a planned leave, the team members will provide the inputs in the capacity tracker of that particular sprint
3. As much as possible we can have the discussion to the story and come to a mutual agreement but if any edge case we can have it a majority vote and then we can discuss it in retro that
what went wrong.
4. If there is any ambiguity in success criteria it should be always cleared by PO.
5. Definition of Done should be met closing every story.
6. There should be a scrum mandate, if in any case the scrum is missed the status on the team DL.
7. The sprint board should be updated.
8. Definition of Ready before the sprint planning.
9. We should celebrate the success of the sprint.
10. We can celebrate the one day of the month of the birthdays.
11. All the scrum ceremonies can be done in interesting ways that leads to more engagement of the whole team.

#Story TitleStory3csPersonaBenefit
1Account BalanceSame as screenshotCard – Met
Conversation – Met
Confirmation – Met
Gift BuyerGift Buyer – money saved, getting the gift as per the requirement.
Seller – Getting the business
2Find SimilarSame as screenshotCard- Met
Conversation – Met
Confirmation - Met
Gift BuyerGift Buyer – Time is not wasted to again browse, revisit, get the priority

Seller – Can set a trend and then can sell at a competitive price.

Seller can show the related products

Exercise: Understanding a story – 3cs

#Story TitleStory3csPersonaBenefitINVEST
1Account BalanceSame as screenshotCard – Met
Conversation – Met
Confirmation – Met
Gift BuyerGift Buyer – money saved, getting the gift as per the requirement.
Seller – Getting the business
I – Y
N – Y
V – Y
E – Y
S – Y
T - Y
2Find SimilarSame as screenshotCard- Met
Conversation – Met
Confirmation - Met
Gift BuyerGift Buyer – Time is not wasted to again browse, revisit, get the priority

Seller – Can set a trend and then can sell at a competitive price.

Seller can show the related products
I – Y
N – Y
V – Y
E – Y
S – Y
T - Y

Exercise: Understanding a story – 3cs, INVEST

Definition of Ready

• The story meets INVEST
  • The requirements are clear.
  • Acceptance criteria is well defined.
  • 3C’s should meet.
  • Story point should be estimated.
  • There should be a plan on any of the external dependencies.

Exercise: User Story Slicing

#Story TitlePurpose Size (Story Points)
1As an admin, I want to have a registry of user’s details so that we can validate the user.

AC:
List of user’s phones
List of user’s email id
Identify user for validation2
2As an admin, I want to generate unique passcode on user’s request so that we can send the passcode

AC:
The path to generate passcode (email,phone)
Receive the user request
Generate the unique passcode

Based on user’s request to generate the unique passcode3
3As an admin, I want to send a unique passcode based on the users request so that we can validate the user.

AC:
Send a unique passcode to email
Send a unique passcode to phone
To send a unique passcode 3
4As an admin, I want to validate the passcode that is received

AC: Validate the passcode via email
Validate the passcode via phone
To validate the passcode to verify its operated by human and not robot3

CategoryAssessment AreaLevel 1Level 2Level 3Level 4
Product Owner
  • Backlog management
  • Scrum events
  • Product roadmap (e.g. release plan)
1A. Chaotic backlog exit
1B. Not product specific,
1C. No structure
1D. Not prioritized

1A some backlog refined
1B multiple product mixed
1C Some structure
1D Minimal prioritization done
1A X0% refined backlog
1B product categorized
1C defined structure
1D X0% Priority done
Sustained Backlog.
Devops
  • Automation(build/deployment)
  • Unit Regression Testing
  • Logging tools
  • Process- Estimation Process, Risk Process
  • Business Intelligence-AI,IOT Digital marketing.
1A no automation1A 30 % automation(system is working)1A 80% automation1A 99% automation
Scrum team
  • Values-(Transparency, Integrity, Respect, Open, Courage)
  • Write stories, acceptance criteria, DOR, DOD.
  • Inspection(Empiricism-Decisions based on experience)
  • Adaptation(e.g. cohesive, focus)
  • Attending scrum events(stand-ups, sprint planning, retrospective, sprint review
  • Meeting sprint goal
  • Working agreement
1A Team has minimal understanding of roles, responsibilities values and principles.1A Team is developing understanding of roles, responsibilities values and principles of scrum methodologies1A Team is now able to perform on roles, responsibilities values and principles of scrum.1A
Team is able to sustain scrum methodologies.
Collaboration and teamwork
  • Communication
  • Autonomy
  • Collaboration
1A: no communication, siloes, no sharing ,interested in own outcome
1B milestones are not met
level2: some communication, agreement, dialogue.
2B Milestones understood
level3: collaboration, collective/team work (better together). Level
Milestones met
4: we win together, autonomy
Milestones sustaines
Scrum Artifacts
  • Quality of artifacts .
  • Risk register
No risk considered
No artefacts
Calculated artifacts

artifacts defined without boundaries
artifacts defined clearlyLevel 4 - artifacts fully maintained, controlled and used effectively

Please find the Scenario 1 assignment for Scrum of Scrums.

The source for this memo concerning the creation and facilitation of a “scrum of scrums” is: Sutherland, J. (2001). Agile at scale: Inventing and reinventing scrum in five companies. Retrieved from https://www.agilealliance.org/glossary/scrum-of-scrums/#q=~(infinite~false~filters~(postType~(~'page~'post~'aa_book~'aa_event_session~'aa_experience_report~'aa_glossary~'aa_research_paper~'aa_video)~tags~(~'scrum*20of*20scrums))~searchTerm~'~sort~false~sortDirection~'asc~page~1) on July 13, 2021 and Sutherland, J. (2018). The Definitive guide to Scrum at Scale: The rules of the game. Retrieved from https://www.scruminc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Scrum-at-Scale-A-Modular-Approach.pdf on July 11, 2021.

The problem is the need for better coordination of mature individual Scrum teams divided across 3 different time zones. The need is for synchronized and aligned team of team efforts across the locations to ensure program managers understand the status of technical points and integrate efforts.

Sutherland is generally regarded as the founder of the Scrum Framework for project management. In 2001 he was the first to also address the issue of coordination across multiple sites with autonomous, self-managed teams with the use of a “scaled up” Scrum Framework. The proposed solution for the web analytics firm to coordinate work across 20 Scrum teams is to employ Sutherland’s Scrum of Scrum’s or referred to as Scrum@Scale. With this approach the development can be organic and adapted to the needs of the firm as constant learning and improvement efforts dictate.

Sutherland defines Scrum@Scale as “A framework within which networks of Scrum teams operating consistently with the Scrum Guide can address complex adaptive problems, while creatively delivering products of the highest possible value. NOTE: These “products” may be hardware, software, complex integrated systems, processes, services, etc., depending upon the domain of the Scrum teams.”

Though designed to employ the minimum levels of bureaucracy and to build on the same system of Scrum, teams the system does require a new operating model with some enhanced roles and additional meetings. The Scrum@Scale moves to two cycles, the Scrum Master Cycle deciding how teams should be coordinated and the Product Owner Cycle, which determines what, must be done. One of the key inputs to this cycle of work is to ensure the individual Scrum teams are performing well since any deficiency at the individual team level will be magnified within the larger system.

The Team-Level Process is being followed in the scenario. The teams use a system composed the three artifacts (Product Backlog, Scrum Backlog, and Potentially Shippable Increment of Product), five events (Product Backlog Refinement, Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review, Sprint Retrospective), and three roles (Product Owner, Scrum Master, Team). The goals of the team level process are to:

·Maximize the flow of completed and quality tested work

·Attempt to increase velocity a little each sprint

·Operate in a way that is sustainable and enriching for the team

In order to coordinate the teams, each team will conduct its own Daily Scrum. With the sequence of meetings in the scenario from eats to west the daily scrum meet up, called a Scaled Daily Scrum, will occur after the west coast meeting. The meeting should be time-boxed for 15 minutes with a representative from each team chosen to attend and contribute. The team representative will discuss team impediments; risks to achieve Sprint dependencies and share discovered improvements. The meeting can be structured around three questions:

• What impediments does my team have that will prevent them from accomplishing their Sprint Goal (or impact the upcoming release)?
  • Is my team doing anything that will prevent another team from accomplishing their Sprint Goal (or impact their upcoming release)?
  • Have we discovered any new dependencies between the teams or discovered a way to resolve an existing dependency?

The frequency of these meetings is customizable, ranging from each day or weekly. With these Scrum of Scrum meetings there is also a unique opportunity to solve problems real time. Sutherland calls this as being responsive to real time impediments. Along with the periodic event the Scrum Teams should also mimic the team ceremonies found at the individual level with scaled up Product Backlog Refinement, Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective meetings.

Roles are also scaled up with a Scrum of Scrum Master facilitating the coordination the release between the multiple teams’ efforts. Sutherland calls this role as “coach of coaches” as they serve the teams and the organization by ensuring that the Scrum of Scrum teams’ increments are integrated in each Sprint, by aiding in the prioritization of the backlog of impediments identified in the periodic meeting, maintains accountability for serving as an impediment remover, and working closely with the Product Owners to coordinate the team’s Deployment with their Release Plans.

Sutherland adds an Executive Action Team as the overall organization’s coordinating effort to remove system wide impediments. This body is the final stop for impediments that can’t be solved at the team or larger project level. This Executive Team is primarily responsible for the organizational acceptance and transformation to an agile-wide culture. This is done by setting up a system of coordinating Product Owners and managing as a “meta Scrum”.

The Meta Scrum is an upwardly scaled Product Backlog Refinement time-boxed for 2-hours and held at least once per system wide Sprint. The Product Owners come together to share a larger vision, create common meaning of the Definition of Done, coordinate release planning and monitor metrics as to feedback of performance. The role of the Chief Product Owner is created to manage these larger scale duties. Product Owner Cycle works through crafting a Strategic Vision, coordinating Backlog Prioritization, managing Backlog Decomposition and Refinement, along with Scrum of Scrum Release Planning.

The Scrum of Scrum Master and the Chief Product Owners come together at the Feedback point for improvement, learning and change management. Feedback is assessed as to productivity, velocity of learning, quality of work, and sustainability of esprit de corps. These are metrics that must be transparent for immediate problem solving if feedback indicates problems.

With this strategic organizational design the Scrum of Scrum approach can scale up across the enterprise aligning strategic vision to be deployed along customer value streams into coordinated individual project teams around the three time zones.

Attachments

• Scrum of Scrums.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 0