Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PG Agile - Agile Methodologies APR 3- APR 11, 2021

What rules have you set for yourself as you do this course?

My rules are as I complete all the online learning to apply as much of it to my work as possible. As part of senior management, I want to look for opportunities to implement Agile, with the basis being a focus on team input.

What do you consider as success criteria or outcomes for yourself post course?

Moving forward in my career or even into a parallel work type (i.e. implementations of banking software) where adaptability and teamwork are more the focus of results.

First of all i want to know detail about agile.so tht i can get a job.and the rules are
1.I respond to all changes in the eviroment at any time.
2.I think i will have better opertunity after doing this course.
3.There is a technical gap in my carrior so i think this course will be help me in that.
4.And because of this course i can able to communicate with differnt professinal people .
5.My success criteria is i will be a good scrum master or product owner after doing this course.

Last edited:
Exercise response for April 03rd class
Reason for taking the course
  1. To facilitate career advancement - a certification course from UMASS is considered to be an excellent standing in Industry hence will help me to get promoted
  2. Refresh Agile culture and methodology understanding; there is always something new to learn that I can use in my work
Rules:
  1. Complete all self-learning module ahead of time
  2. Attend live online classes to validate learning, know details
  3. Interact in the live class with Q&A; share thoughts, ask questions and receive feedback
  4. Set aside 4 - 6 hours per week to complete coursework

Outcome and success criteria
  1. A broad based improved understand of Agile principles, Agile project management best practices, most popular agile methodologies and scaling principle
  2. Take away some agile scaling tools/techniques that I can use in my work
  3. Technique on how to coach senior management on benefits of Agile

Rules for M. Boyne:

1. Read 2 books on Agile Philosophy and Scrum Framework by May 31, 2021.
  2. Select 10 case studies on Agile/Scrum for development of an MBA class in Project Management by June 30, 2021
  3. Select 20 peer reviewed journal articles for class by July 31, 2021
  4. Devote 1 hour a day to UMASS class through Simpllearn Monday-Saturday and for readings
  5. Benchmark MBA Scrum/Agile classes that include Design Thinking
  6. Interview 3 Program Managers in industry for knowledge requirements (Raytheon, General Atomics, Qualcomm)

Success Criteria:

1. 12 actionable lectures and case studies taking students through the Agile Phiosophy and Scrum Framework for new product development (hardware and software) ready by January 1, 2022
  2. Complete UMASS certificate on time
  3. Syllabus complete by November 1, 2022
  4. Draft research proposal for Agile/Scrum integration into High Reliability Organizing models (Boeing 737 Max software design flaw)

First of all i want to know detail about agile.so tht i can get a job.and the rules are
1.I respond to all changes in the eviroment at any time.
2.I think i will have better opertunity after doing this course.
3.There is a technical gap in my carrior so i think this course will be help me in that.
4.And because of this course i can able to communicate with differnt professinal people .
5.My success criteria is i will be a good scrum master or product owner after doing this course.

Each principle in a phrase or picture
1. 1617546907177.png
2. Change request= of course!
3.working software, working software, working software; keep it coming
4. 1617547169117.pngEVERYDAY
5.Trust Motivated Individuals
6. Face-to-face
7.Working software=progress
8.&9. SMARTS (Sustainable Excellence)
10. Simplicity
11. Sef-organizing best
12. Self moderate

10. Maximizing the work not done and simplifying seems counterintuitive to proving your value. "Me, my team are imperative bc we have done less..."
This likely ties into the challenge of adopting agile because of safeguarding self interests. Very difficult in the western world.

#6 face to face exchange of information to be most effective and efficient, is likely the most challenging in a distributed/remote work environment. Teams and Zoom help but nonverbal communication is still lost and makes difficult to find the real meaning of what is said or left unsaid.

Misinterpretations of Agile
-Getting rid of required documentation and processes without changing the development approach
-Calling a 15-minute status and instruction meeting a daily standup call
-Expecting a fully developed product right away - not understanding that the product will be delivered iteratively
-Thinking that Agile is something that can simply be switched on/off like a light switch

In my company, Agile is viewed by some as an opportunity or excuse to get rid of the more laborious parts of the project management and software development lifecycles without understanding that Agile requires them to engage in the software development process in a different way. They cannot simply hand over the requirements, walk away, and expect the development team to provide them with a finished product in half or a third of the previous timeframe. The process that my team supports ensures that all of the impacted Technology teams/domains are aware of the new work and have resource capacity to engage in the project. In many ways, we are acting as a bridge between the teams who are actively transitioning to Agile right now and those who are still working in a hybrid or waterfall manner.

• Problems because:
  • Agile is seen as a managerial process rather than cultural intent or philosophy
  • Agile as a quick fix solution
  • Agile as a fad
  • Agile as an extension of Lean Thinking
  • Agile as specific to software
  • Agile as Scrum alone
  • Agile as Kanban alone
  • Agile as more “consultant speak”
  • Agile as concurrent engineering
  • My opinion/observation…in order to work in organizations that did not begin as “agile”, and that is not egalitarian, cultural change must be the first step using a large scale-systemic approach throughout the organization. The cultural approach has to be planned centrally but executed in a decentralized fashion beginning with the education of middle management. Then, middle management should be entrusted with educating the workforce in the new culture, and the middle management should be empowered and held accountable for execution. Every middle manager should be a “scrum master”.

• List of the reasons of popularity of Scum
  • Scrum is not afraid of changes
  • Scrum allows the incremental development of features
  • Testing is an integrative component of Scrum at every sprint.
  • Scrum involves all the participants of the project
  • Customers see results fast, and they are involved at regular intervals.