PMI ACP Sample questions discussion

Discussion in 'Agile and Scrum' started by manikandan_10, Jan 21, 2016.

1. manikandan_10

manikandan_10 Active Member
    Alumni

Team,

I am currently preparing for PMI ACP and solving as many questions as possible on a daily basis. Sometimes, the answer suggested may not be appropriate so I thought of sharing them in this forum and get feedback from our members.

1. In a story, the product owner tells you to make a feature faster. You worked on it in the sprint and showed it in the demo. The product owner is unhappy and says "it is not as fast, as I expected." It means the story was not -

Negotiable
    Implementable
    Testable
    Independent.

I was thinking that answer should be Negotiable since the Developer did not discuss with PO to understand when he is really looking for the story to be delivered.

But the right answer was stated as "Testable". Can somebody share your views on this.

2. manikandan_10

Alumni

This is another question from Sample test paper provided by SimpliLearn

Which of the following are the activities involved in the Project Closure?

A. Clean up open items
    B. Finalize documentation
    C. Production of manufacturing support material
    D. Completing the software development
    Correct Option: D

EXPLANATION

Correct Answer: d) Project closing involves cleaning up open items, finalizing documentation and producing or manufacturing support material, and preparing required end-of-project administrative reports, release notes, and financial reports.

I think the question should be Which of the following are NOT the activities performed in Project closure?

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

3. Om Prakash Bang

Om Prakash Bang Well-Known Member
    Alumni

1. In a story, the product owner tells you to make a feature faster. You worked on it in the sprint and showed it in the demo. The product owner is unhappy and says "it is not as fast, as I expected." It means the story was not -

Negotiable
    Implementable
    Testable
    Independent.

Right answer is "Testable". PO tells feature should be faster, but didn't specify how fast it should be? There is no benchmark or response time specified / agreed as part of acceptance criteria, hence user story is not testable.

Negotiable means actual needs / result of the story should be negotiable between Product Owner and development team to meet customer need. Sometimes a requirement may have been ‘specified’ in a particular way, but there should be an opportunity for development team to negotiate with product owner in implementation approach, or slight change in feature result as long as it meets customer actual need, so user story is not a contract.

In this case, performance (non-functional requirement) is non-negotiable. It should be testable parameter.

manikandan_10 likes this.
  4. Om Prakash Bang

Om Prakash Bang Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Second question related to 'Project Closure' is tricky question.
    Agile Project Closure is about handing over to the operations team, tidying up any loose ends, reviewing the project, celebrating, and going home.

First three options are part of project closure. To make it simple, replace option 'D' with 'All of the above'.

Do you think 'completing the software' includes other three options as part of 'Definition of Done' / Release to production criteria ? or 'completing the software' means software ready from code/functional perspective?

5. manikandan_10

Alumni

Thanks Prakash, with regard to second question, I agree that the question should have said All the above because we really do not k ow what completing the software means from this question.

6. manikandan_10

Alumni

Another question..

Which of the following is NOT the responsibility of a Product Owner?

a. Ensuring one subset of a team does not receive more focus than the others
    b. Describing and documenting the user roles
    c. Identifying the user roles and personas
    d. Understanding how each of the user roles or personas differ

I felt answer A is appropriate and my trainer also felt the same. But simplilearn answer says D.. not convincing.. please clarify

7. Bryan (1147)

Bryan (1147) Active Member
    Trainer

Good questions Manikandan. I agree with Om regarding the first question. The second question I would interpret project closure in the same way that the PMP does which basically involves closing out financials, conducting lessons learned and releasing the team. Since Agile emphasizes potentially shippable increments of software the software development activities should have been completed after the last sprint/iteration.

8. Bryan (1147)

Trainer

I think this answer is in error Manikandam particularly if answers B and C are correct (obviously the product owner would know the difference between user roles and personas if they can document and describe them). However, Answer A would be outside of the Product Owner's responsibilities as they would not be working with the team as directly.

9. manikandan_10

Alumni

<< I will add a number to each question in my post, so that members can refer to it while sharing your views>>

Question 3: If the burndown chart showed an upward trend for two days in a row in the middle of the iteration, what might be the reason?

a. The team is not completing the stories fast enough
    b. Few team members are absent
    c. Stories got added to the iteration backlog
    d. The team is working overtime

I think we cannot add storied in the middle of iteration, so C should be written as additional tasks got added to the iteration backlog.

10. manikandan_10

Alumni

Question 4: What is the best way to facilitate communication between a pair of developers who are pair-programming?

a. Put them in the same office
    b. Put them in adjacent cubicles
    c. Buy video cameras to facilitate video chats
    d. Send them for communication skills training

I have chosen option (b) but the correct answer was stated as (a). Put them in same office. Obviously, when they are placed in adjacent cubicles, it implies that they are in same office. When they are asked to do pair programming, they both should be sitting in front of same PC/laptop to complete the task. So, by sitting in adjacent cubicle it is relatively easy to move between desks and start doing Pair programming rather than sitting in same office but in different floors.

If Option (a) was stated as "Put them in same desk area", that would have been the more appropriate choice to choose.

Please share your views.

11. manikandan_10

Alumni

Question 5: Other things being constant, how does the time-to-market vary with the location of the team members?

a. Time-to-market will reduce if a team is dispersed
    b. Time-to-market will increase if the team is dispersed
    c. Time-to-market is not impacted by the geographical spread of the team
    d. It may increase or decrease depending upon the level of communication between the locations

Correct Option: B

EXPLANATION

Answer: b) Time-to-market definitely improves (according to some studies, up to 3 times) if the team is co-located.

The answer (b) and explanation provided are contradicting. I have chosen option (a) since question state that all other things are constant which eliminated option (d).

Please clarify.

12. Fernando_7

Fernando_7 Member
    Alumni

I also thought that the answer for this question was B. I figured that if they were in adjacent cubicles, then would be able to communicate to each other, if they had any questions.

13. manikandan_10

Alumni

Also, there are lot of questions in simulation test as well as in other websites that were not covered in the topics. One such example is: Different revenue streams

Can someone from simplilearn make a note of this? Also, there are some PMP sort of questions in the exam, do we expect same in our PMI ACP exam?

14. Fernando_7

Fernando_7 Member
    Alumni

Hi, can you give me an example of that PMP question that you noticed? I just want to make a note of it when I come across that question.

Thanks,
    Fernando

15. manikandan_10

Alumni

6. Which of the following charts shows how much work remains on an iteration?

Iteration burndown chart
    Burndown chart
    Daily burndown chart
    Burnup chart
    Correct Option: B

EXPLANATION

Correct Answer: b) A burndown chart shows how much work remains on an iteration.

We can use different types of burn down chart in our Agile project like Sprint/Iteration burn down, Release burn down, Risk burn down. Considering the question asking for the remaining work in an iteration, the most appropriate answer would be a) Iteration Burn down but the answer has been given as B.

Please clarify.

16. manikandan_10

Alumni

7. In the absence of a product owner in Sprint planning, who should take the role of PO?
    a. Scrum Master
    b. Some one referred by Product Owner
    c. process owner
    d. Team

My understanding is a scrum master cannot play the role of PO because of conflict in the interest of their role. PO focus on the value for customer whereas SM focus on protecting the team interest. Hence, I thought the correct answer would be a Proxy PO who has been appointed by PO in his absence, where as the answer has been stated as a) Scrum Master by Simpli Learn.

Can someone please clarify.

17. Bryan (1147)

Trainer

This answer suggests that the burn-down chart is tracking effort / task duration so you're assessment would be correct. New stories and their associated points cannot be added in a pure Scrum project so the number of story points will not change mid-sprint. However, you can re-estimate task effort and associated hours during the sprint. In this case, it's the only reasonable answer amongst the available options.

18. Bryan (1147)

Trainer

You're probably right that this could have been worded differently but generally Agile emphasizes having team members working in the same office space to support paired programming and osmotic communication, A would be the best answer.

19. Bryan (1147)

Trainer

Answer B seems correct to me Mani. If the team is dispersed it will take longer to produce value so the 'time-to-market' will increase (it will take longer to deliver a potentially shippable increment of software). Answer A would have been a better answer if it had read "Time-to-market will reduce if a team is co-located".

20. Bryan (1147)

Trainer

You're correct, the ScrumMaster and Product Owner cannot be the same person (PO is responsible for identifying and prioritizing value, SM is responsible for the team following the Scum processes and removing impediments). I don't know what Ken Schwaber thinks about this specifically but Mike Cohn (who is never shy about having an opinion) offers this perspective: https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/blog/scrummasters-should-not-also-be-product-owners