Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PMP®

Roopesh Naidu

NA
Simplilearn Support
Trainer
I have following queries, it will be great if you can help me with
explanation, I have captured my opinion/ understanding at the end of each question.

1) A Project Manager wants to qualify for the PMP examination. However while going through the eligibility criteria he finds that he is falling short of the required experience by a small margin. He discusses this with a certified PMP professional and mentions that he is planning to make up the gap in experience as it is a very small margin. His friend however is not convinced and warns him that he should not provide false information at any point during the PMI Certification Program, as it can result in:

A Revocation of your PMI membership

B Revocation of your PMP certification

C Both of the above are true

D There will be no impact

Answer (c) Both of the above are true.

However as per meit should be (A) Revocation of PMI membership. As you are not a PMP professional yet and are preparing for PMP exam.

Samer: C looks correct: "this can result in" i.e. the consequence later on when the truth is uncovered even after the candidate gets the PMP.

2) A project is in the final stages of testing when it receives a major change request from the customer which would delay the final delivery of the project by 2 weeks. What should the Project Manager do NEXT?

A Create a change request and go through the change management process

B Evaluate the impact of the change

C Communicate the implication of the change to the customer

D Adjust the project management plan and baseline

Answer (c) Communicate the implication of the change to the customer.

However as per meit should be (B). The question talks about impact on one of the constraint that is time, what about cost, quality, scope etc. We need to check for the impact of change on all aspects of project.

Samer: Nice one. i agree with C. The questions stipulates that the "assessing" is completed, the impact is 2 weeks delay (not all changes have to impact many constrains - this time only time is impacted). so, proceed with C (approval).

3)A new Project Manager takes over a project during the execution phase. One of the main issues faced by the project is that the customer complains of poor visibility on the project. What should be his first step towards resolving the issue?

A Have a discussion with the customer to understand why he feels the project lacks visibility

B Hold a discussion with the team members who have been in this project since beginning to understand customer specific communication needs

C Go through the communication management plan to understand customer communication requirement and whether it is being addressed properly

D Project Manager should first understand the project and go through project management plan to understand the project properly

Answer (c) Go through the communication management plan to understand customer communication requirement and whether it is being addressed properly.

However as per meit should be (A). You need to meet the affected customer, understand his concerns, review the communication plan and find out solutions to them.

Samer: This is tricky, though I agree with C. Why:
- the visibility (a communication problem) is an issue faced by the customer since long time, not something that just came up now.
- the first thing to do would be to go back to "communication requirements as agreed with the customer" and verify if they were satisfied by the project or no.
if they were: then meet with the customer, clarify that the project is communicating as required, and as the customer to issue a change request ,if needed, going forward.
if they were not: then meet with the team to "rectify" the miss-communication issue.

4)As part of Quantitative Risk Analysis, a Project Manager has derived four packages with the following probability and impact. Using EMV (Expected Monetary Value) which one should he use in the project?

A Work package I: Probability 15% and Impact $20,000

B Work package II: Probability 7 % and Impact $10,000

C Work package III: Probability 7 % and Impact $15,000

D Work package IV: Probability 15% and Impact $10,000

Answer (a)Work package I: Probability 15% & Impact $ 20,000. EMV = Probability * Impact. If the impact is positive, then it is opportunity and if the impact is negative then it is threat. From the given options, all are opportunities and the one which is highest should be the right option.

Please help me to understand how to make out whether figures stated above are for opportunity, not threat/ risk.

Samer: I think this question can be improved to avoid confusion. you are not expected to guess. don't worry about it !!

5)A project is in the execution stage when the customer comes back with an additional feature to be added in the forthcoming milestone delivery. The project team has assessed the impact of the change by performing Integrated Change Control. The Project Manager should:

A Hold a meeting with customer explaining why it is not good option to incorporate change requests during project execution

B Create a change Request and proceed for review by Change Control Board

C Review Quality Management Plan and evaluate the effect of the additional feature on Quality

D Notify stakeholders affected by change

Answer (c) Review Quality Management Plan and evaluate the effect of the additional feature on quality.

Please help me with further explanation. Why I should look at quality separately, I have already done the integrated change control.

Samer: Agree with you. C would be covered in the "assess the impact" part. not, the next step is: compile the change request + impact assessment and forward to the change control board...

is this B ?? Wait! B also indicates that you should create a change request! NO, this was done by the customer as an I/P to the change control process (before assessment)... so B is not likely the best option.

This leaves you with D !? (not what you would love to see)

6) You work in a pharmaceutical company and as a part of the project, your client has shared some confidential information with you. A medical university contacts you to share some information including that from the client for their research purpose. What should you do?

A Share the information as it will be used purely for academic purposes

B Share the information but hide all the references which could expose the client

C Never share any information from the client as you are bound by Non Disclosure Agreement

D Contact your client and seek permission to disclose the information

Answer (d) Contact your client and seek permission to disclose the information.

However as per meit should be (C), I am bounded by NDA, and in case medical university needs some information they should approach the owner of the intellectual property.

Samer: it is D. Don't put in the question what is not in it! NDA?
and even if you had one, the client is to decide whether they want to share or not.

A Project Manager wants to determine the variance for an activity estimate using the three point estimate with following data Pessimistic=14, Optimistic=2, Realistic=5. What is the variance ?

A 5

B 2

C 4

D Not enough information

Explanations:

Answer (c) The formula for variance = [( Pessimistic-Optimistic)/6] squared. The answer is 4.

I have not seen this formula before. As per we have to calculate standard daviation for which formula is ( Pessimistic-Optimistic)/6 hence answer should be 2 (+/-2) that is B.

Samer:
Variance is SD squared = (p-o/6)square
you use it to avoid the +/- sign (when squared the number becomes positive). used to determine the range of estimate for a branch in the schedule that has two or more consecutive activities.

Hope this helps!!

Best
Samer

Last edited by a moderator:

sumanadore

Alumni
Hi Roopesh,
This is Sumana.

I am registered with the email id sumanadore@gmail.com

I have been having terrible experience, its been very bad, initially I had not received the webex details for the Instructor led PMP,

I do not see the 4day excercise pdf version 2 in my downloadable of Simplilearn. Please help me get this as soon as possible.

Also please confirm the list of documents I see, I see only 4, I have attached

Attachments

• Excercise PDF.PNG
    Excercise PDF.PNG
    208.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Downloadables.PNG
    Downloadables.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 30

Roopesh Naidu

NA
Simplilearn Support
Trainer
We see that you have attended the session and we apologize for the delay in receiving webex links.

The moment you click on register the links are delivered to your registered email id, we request you to please check Promotional, Primary and Social tab and also Spam folder at times.

This is about your LMS access, i request you to call us on 1-800-102-9602 and on of our Learning consultant will be able to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
PMP aspirants are having common question in their mind how to fill the application which needs to be submitted to PMI before appearing for the examination. Here are a few steps.

1. Under part1, fill your details like name, contact details, address, name you want to have in the certificate and highest education.

2. Under part 2, fill the project title, the role, title(designation), organization name for you which you contributed, address of the organization, contact person name and his/her details, etc...

The important thing under this section is the project description. It takes only 550 characters. So be crisp in entering what you contributed for that project. Mention what you contributed. Here is an example:

Objective: Application development which can run on Android platform.

IN: Identified the stakeholders, collected the high level scope and identified high level risk

PL: Developed the project management plan along with stakeholders by estimating schedule, cost

EX: Completed the deliverables as per the plan and manage the communication and stakeholder engagement

M&C: Review and track the progress of the project. Also identified the new risk and perform change management process for the change requests through CCB

CL: Handing over the deliverables, lessons learnt documentation

Deliverables: Application with installation manual

Outcome of the project: Success

3. Under Part 3, mention the title of the course, Institution name, start date, end date, number of pdu's

If you are having any further questions related to this, post your queries here.

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
Here are the list of project management plan and the list of project documents as per PMP. There are 16 elements under the Project Management Plan and 37 project documents.

upload_2015-10-19_12-18-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-19_12-17-22.png
    upload_2015-10-19_12-17-22.png
    371.8 KB · Views: 30

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
In a given project, under different frequencies, the following data was captured. There are two situations.

1. SPI is 0.8 and CPI is 0.8
2. SPI is 0.8 and CPI is 1.2

You need to bring the project on track with schedule. Which compression technique will be used?

Also when SPI is 1.2 and CPI is 0.8, what action will be taken?

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
A project manager is working on a project for creating an application for a hospital management system. He is facing many serious issues in his project. The project's final deliverable is scheduled for two weeks from now. It needs to comply with the mandatory government health standards. In addition, there are some changes required to improve performance. The project manager feels that this will make the customer happy. Amidst all of this, a senior test engineer asks the project manager for a long leave. Which of these most critical issues the project manager needs to address first?

A. Ensure product is compliant with the government health standards
B. Ensure the replacement for the senior tester receives the knowledge transfer
C. Complete change control process to incorporate changes to enhance performance
D. Notify the customer about probable delay in the final deliverable to avoid surprise later

AJAY JINDAL

Alumni
A project manager is working on a project for creating an application for a hospital management system. He is facing many serious issues in his project. The project's final deliverable is scheduled for two weeks from now. It needs to comply with the mandatory government health standards. In addition, there are some changes required to improve performance. The project manager feels that this will make the customer happy. Amidst all of this, a senior test engineer asks the project manager for a long leave. Which of these most critical issues the project manager needs to address first?

C. Complete change control process to incorporate changes to enhance performance
D. Notify the customer about probable delay in the final deliverable to avoid surprise later

Is 'A' option is the Answer for this Question..

Shipra Shah

Alumni
Hi Support, In our 1st session of Online Classroom for PMP that held on 25th Oct 2015 2.30 PM IST, when we asked about when the video recording of session would be provided, then instructor mentioned that within 48 hrs of session I would get that but I have not received that yet, could you please suggest when this would be provided and also is it possible that I can download videos from my course so that I can view them being in offline mode as well.

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
Is 'A' option is the Answer for this Question..
You are right Ajay. A is the option. Performance improvement is gold plating. Engineer taking leave --there is no details about that. These two are distractions. The first thing one should look for is following the government standards.

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
As a project manager, you decide to create an issue log, which captures issue description, owner, and the target date for the issue closure. All of the following are common examples of issues in the project except?
A. Differences in opinion
B. Probable delay in the next delivery
C. Pending root cause analysis
D. Delay in receiving feedback from the customer

anjdesai(1477112)

Alumni
As a project manager, you decide to create an issue log, which captures issue description, owner, and the target date for the issue closure. All of the following are common examples of issues in the project except?

Is answer "B"

tim jerome

Trainer
In a given project, under different frequencies, the following data was captured. There are two situations.

1. SPI is 0.8 and CPI is 0.8
2. SPI is 0.8 and CPI is 1.2

You need to bring the project on track with schedule. Which compression technique will be used?

Also when SPI is 1.2 and CPI is 0.8, what action will be taken?

Good day, Prasad. I think this question is structured to ask, "Can CPI indicate a factor in selecting crashing over fast-tracking?"

Crashing is selected when budget is not a constraint. From CPI, we can tell we're within or over budget, but there may be other reasons, outside of this, that may impact availability of funds. It contributes to that decision, though.

Being over budget can contribute to the decision to fast-track instead of compress, but there must be options on your critical path that allow this method. Also, if we secured funding for the project with the intent to spend on other items / actions, and now use it to solve this problem, we may create a bigger, more critical problem. It is better to secure funding specifically for crashing before 'robbing Peter to pay Paul.'

From merely answering this question, I believe you can answer that with a CPI over 1, you have greater confidence (and available budget) in using crashing. In real life, Integration and common sense will guide your hand as well.

anjdesai(1477112)

Alumni
Hello,

I have a question about the steps taken during close process or phase, please indicate the order of what should happen if you have procurements.

Thanks

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
Here are the closing steps.
Make sure all the deliverables are as per the scope
Sign off from customer
Handing over the deliverables
Contract closure
Lessons learnt
Archival of the documents
Customer satisfaction

Mujahid Shariff

Alumni
A project manager for a software project is well regarded by people in her company as an expert programmer. She has an especially good reputation among the senior managers of the company. The CTO of the company tells her that any time she runs into trouble, he’ll back up any decision that she makes—and everyone on the team admires the CTO, and they have a lot of loyalty to him. Which BEST describes the power the project manager is exerting?

A. Reward power
B. Expert power
C. Punishment power
D. Referent power

Can someone explain the right answer to this question. Project Manager has both expert power as well as referent power. What should the right option be?

Prasad

Staff member
Trainer
The answer is Referent. "She has an especially good reputation among the senior managers of the company" is the key sentence.

Samer barakeh(3330)

Trainer
Is answer "B"

This is an interesting question.

how about this interpretation:
when a risk becomes "certain", it becomes an issue. i.e. an unpleasant even that is 100% certain and will cause negative impact on the project.

so, looking into the options:
A. Differences in opinion no>>> not necessarily an issue, it is normal to have differences in opinion in the project.
B. Probable delay in the next delivery no >>>> nice one! "Probable"...this is a RISK, not an issue yet. it belongs to the risk register not issues log.
C. Pending root cause analysis no>>>> this is a TOOL to determine the cause of a risk/quality defect/ or even an issue in the project.
D. Delay in receiving feedback from the customer yes>>>this is an ISSUE. it is certain, has negative impact on the project, and speaks to a key factor: customer feedback. no validation without the feedback...

Thoughts?

Mujahid Shariff

Alumni
The answer is Referent. "She has an especially good reputation among the senior managers of the company" is the key sentence.
I understand that. My question however is that she is also an expert programmer. So why does her reputation among senior manager take precedence over her expert skills. Can you help me understand that?

Samer barakeh(3330)

Trainer
explanation, I have captured my opinion/ understanding at the end of each question.

1) A Project Manager wants to qualify for the PMP examination. However while going through the eligibility criteria he finds that he is falling short of the required experience by a small margin. He discusses this with a certified PMP professional and mentions that he is planning to make up the gap in experience as it is a very small margin. His friend however is not convinced and warns him that he should not provide false information at any point during the PMI Certification Program, as it can result in:

However as per meit should be (A) Revocation of PMI membership. As you are not a PMP professional yet and are preparing for PMP exam.

Samer: C looks correct: "this can result in" i.e. the consequence later on when the truth is uncovered even after the candidate gets the PMP.

2) A project is in the final stages of testing when it receives a major change request from the customer which would delay the final delivery of the project by 2 weeks. What should the Project Manager do NEXT?

However as per meit should be (B). The question talks about impact on one of the constraint that is time, what about cost, quality, scope etc. We need to check for the impact of change on all aspects of project.

Samer: Nice one. i agree with C. The questions stipulates that the "assessing" is completed, the impact is 2 weeks delay (not all changes have to impact many constrains - this time only time is impacted). so, proceed with C (approval).

3)A new Project Manager takes over a project during the execution phase. One of the main issues faced by the project is that the customer complains of poor visibility on the project. What should be his first step towards resolving the issue?

A Have a discussion with the customer to understand why he feels the project lacks visibility

B Hold a discussion with the team members who have been in this project since beginning to understand customer specific communication needs

C Go through the communication management plan to understand customer communication requirement and whether it is being addressed properly

D Project Manager should first understand the project and go through project management plan to understand the project properly

Answer (c) Go through the communication management plan to understand customer communication requirement and whether it is being addressed properly.

However as per meit should be (A). You need to meet the affected customer, understand his concerns, review the communication plan and find out solutions to them.

- the visibility (a communication problem) is an issue faced by the customer since long time, not something that just came up now.
- the first thing to do would be to go back to "communication requirements as agreed with the customer" and verify if they were satisfied by the project or no.
if they were: then meet with the customer, clarify that the project is communicating as required, and as the customer to issue a change request ,if needed, going forward.
if they were not: then meet with the team to "rectify" the miss-communication issue.

4)As part of Quantitative Risk Analysis, a Project Manager has derived four packages with the following probability and impact. Using EMV (Expected Monetary Value) which one should he use in the project?

Answer (a)Work package I: Probability 15% & Impact $ 20,000. EMV = Probability * Impact. If the impact is positive, then it is opportunity and if the impact is negative then it is threat. From the given options, all are opportunities and the one which is highest should be the right option.

Please help me to understand how to make out whether figures stated above are for opportunity, not threat/ risk.

Samer: I think this question can be improved to avoid confusion. you are not expected to guess. don't worry about it !!

5)A project is in the execution stage when the customer comes back with an additional feature to be added in the forthcoming milestone delivery. The project team has assessed the impact of the change by performing Integrated Change Control. The Project Manager should:

A Hold a meeting with customer explaining why it is not good option to incorporate change requests during project execution

C Review Quality Management Plan and evaluate the effect of the additional feature on Quality

Answer (c) Review Quality Management Plan and evaluate the effect of the additional feature on quality.

Please help me with further explanation. Why I should look at quality separately, I have already done the integrated change control.

Samer: Agree with you. C would be covered in the "assess the impact" part. not, the next step is: compile the change request + impact assessment and forward to the change control board...

is this B ?? Wait! B also indicates that you should create a change request! NO, this was done by the customer as an I/P to the change control process (before assessment)... so B is not likely the best option.

6) You work in a pharmaceutical company and as a part of the project, your client has shared some confidential information with you. A medical university contacts you to share some information including that from the client for their research purpose. What should you do?

B Share the information but hide all the references which could expose the client

C Never share any information from the client as you are bound by Non Disclosure Agreement

However as per meit should be (C), I am bounded by NDA, and in case medical university needs some information they should approach the owner of the intellectual property.

and even if you had one, the client is to decide whether they want to share or not.

A Project Manager wants to determine the variance for an activity estimate using the three point estimate with following data Pessimistic=14, Optimistic=2, Realistic=5. What is the variance ?

A 5

B 2

C 4

D Not enough information

Explanations:

Answer (c) The formula for variance = [( Pessimistic-Optimistic)/6] squared. The answer is 4.

I have not seen this formula before. As per we have to calculate standard daviation for which formula is ( Pessimistic-Optimistic)/6 hence answer should be 2 (+/-2) that is B.

Samer:
you use it to avoid the +/- sign (when squared the number becomes positive). used to determine the range of estimate for a branch in the schedule that has two or more consecutive activities.

you can find my replies to the questions in RED under each one

Best
Samer

Samer barakeh(3330)

Trainer
I understand that. My question however is that she is also an expert programmer. So why does her reputation among senior manager take precedence over her expert skills. Can you help me understand that?

Hi Mujahid,
the statement in the question is giving more emphasis on the power she is getting from senior management due to her reputation. This makes the referent "more" correct. this does not mean that she does not have expert power.

hope this helps
Samer

Jagbir Singh B

Alumni

Thanks

Thanks Samer, However please help me with quote in the question which suggests that assessing is complete. How is it possible that project is getting delayed but there is no cost overrun. There is no indication that CPI is more than 1, what will be the effect on other projects if release of resources in getting delayed. (Project Integration, Integrated change control)

Thanks Samer I still have difference of opinion
There is nothing which suggests that customer is facing visibility issue since long. I should have an clarity on customer expectation on communication with his requirement and input I can review my communication plan and can improve it.

Thanks

Samer Thanks

I am not putting anything in the question. NDA is abbreviation for Non Disclosure Agreement. In this case I should either decline or should direct the university to the Pharmaceutical company.

A 5

B 2

C 4

D Not enough information

Explanations:

Samer:

Samer Thanks

However your response to above question is not correct assume SD is 3 so the range will be +/-3 which will be six (6). If we go by the formula given then the range will become 9.

Hope this helps!!

Best
Samer

Dear Samer, Please have a relook at my response to each of your response.

Thanks,

Jagbir

Jagbir Singh B

Alumni

Dear Prasad,

As per me most critical is "compliance with the government health standards" that is option "A". This is mandatory. Even if you do address all other issues namely change for performance improvement, finding substitute for test engineer you can not implement your project without compliance.

The question doesn't suggest that leaving of senior test engineer will cause problem or if he was working on critical path activity.
Changes for performance improvement can be categorized under "Gold plating" as this is the perception "feels" of PM that it will make the customer happy.

Jagbir Singh B

Alumni

Best
Samer

Best
Samer

Thanks

Thanks Samer, However please help me with quote in the question which suggests that assessing is complete. How is it possible that project is getting delayed but there is no cost overrun. There is no indication that CPI is more than 1, what will be the effect on other projects if release of resources in getting delayed. (Project Integration, Integrated change control)

There is nothing which suggests that customer is facing visibility issue since long. I should have an clarity on customer expectation on communication with his requirement and input I can review my communication plan and can improve it.

Thanks

Samer Thanks

I am not putting anything in the question. NDA is abbreviation for Non Disclosure Agreement. In this case I should either decline or should direct the university to the Pharmaceutical company.

A 5

B 2

C 4

D Not enough information

Explanations:

Samer:
Samer Thanks

However your response to above question is not correct assume SD is 3 so the range will be +/-3 which will be six (6). If we go by the formula given then the range will become 9.

Samer barakeh(3330)

Trainer
Dear Samer, Please have a relook at my response to each of your response.

Thanks,

Jagbir

Thanks
Welcome !

Samer: "a major change request from the customer which would delay the final delivery of the project by 2 weeks" the result of the assessment is delay for two weeks." this is to say assessment done and result is two weeks delay.
they could have easily said "and $20K cost"... then one could argue, how about quality? new risks? etc.
My point is, let's not go too far in assumptions and analysis of what does not exist in the question...
hope this helps.

Samer: "One of the main issues faced by the project is that the customer complains " means it is happening often, not something that came up just now.
So we know that there is a visibility problem... now is the time to get to the bottom of the problem (as explained above)

Thanks

Samer Thanks

Samer: The question statement did not mention that you had an NDA, the wrong choice did.
yes, we would direct them to the pharmaceutical company... but what choice is that ?? probably E.
again, choose the most correct from the choices provided, which will not always be the perfect answer you have in mind!

A 5

B 2

C 4

D Not enough information

Explanations:

Samer:

Samer Thanks

Samer: this is how you do the calculation:
(p-o/6)square: (14-2/6)sq = (12/6)sq = 2sq = 4

you can find (in green color) my clarifications to your comments on my previous clarifications.

I won't be able to keep updating the same post with replies as there are many questions and the post is becoming a bit overcrowded...
hope you find my comments useful.

Thanks
Samer

AmerNatarajan

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Hi Samer,

Could you please help us out with a classic case study for PMP, keeping in mind the recent changes to guidelines of PMP?

Samer barakeh(3330)

Trainer
Hi Samer,

Could you please help us out with a classic case study for PMP, keeping in mind the recent changes to guidelines of PMP?

Hi Amer,
Not sure what you are looking for exactly, a case study for PMP can be many pages long, especially if you want to address many processes, concepts, KAs, T&Ts....

DeshDeep Singh

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Disadvantages of using Chrome Book:

1. No third Party software can be installed or run on it. E.g. WebEx, Team Viewer, VMWare, CAD Tool etc.

2. Microsoft office has no relative version for Chrome Book.

3. Everything in Cloud storage, as Google offers 2 years Google drive 100 GB access.

4. Its actual functionality comes out when connected to internet.

5. Cannot connect computer to Printer or other devices.

All the above mentioned points are our day to day activity when it comes to use a PC or a Laptop, all of them are ignored in Chrome Book.

Now, after reading these 5 points, it becomes really easy to make choice before buying a laptop.

I prefer Mac OS or Windows OS because it gives us access on any third party software which becomes easy to install and have hands-on.

AmerNatarajan

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Hi All,

We have noticed a few issues being reported by our customers on the LMS. We have activated a report issue tool on the LMS to help you report them instantly.

Please click on the "Report issue" widget present on the right hand side of the LMS interface and enter the following details:
  • Name
  • Email
  • Category (Problem, Suggestion, Question or Like)
  • Message (Write in your comments)
  • Click on the check-box to automatically attach a screenshot of the page.
Our Tech team is continuously working on improving the user experience. Please feel free to post in your problems, suggestion and questions through this widget.

AmerNatarajan

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Hi All,

In the month of April the 5th edition of NTPM (New Trends in Project Management-2016) conference will be held on 25th – 26th of April 2016)

Click on the link below to access this from PMI. Its a great pattern to follow to understand the evolution of PMI and the new trends incorporated.

http://ntpm.pl/

New Trends in Project Management 2016
25th – 26th of April 2016, 5th Edition of the NTPM coming soon. Register now here. The conference is the biggest project of Project Management Institute (PMI) in Gdańsk. This international event is organized for the fifth time. The main idea is to exchange knowledge and good practices in the area of project management in Poland and abroad.

During 2-days’ workshop and lectures, we will discuss the most interesting issues relating to the topic of project management in industries including IT, automotive industry, energy and many others. In addition to technical knowledge, practical knowledge that you gain may become an asset in addition to interesting contacts through participation in workshops and networking forms: NTPM Short Presentations, Speed Mentoring and World Cafe.
In today’s world, companies often face the problems associated with the formation of large projects that are managed with limited resources, short lead times and uncertain conditions. To minimize the risks in teams, project managers are constantly looking for new trends in project management.

Therefore, we invite you to participate in the conference and build with us NTPM brand.

This year we are focused on relaxed atmosphere, discretion and your comfort! Leave your business suit at home and join us! See you there!

Project Management Institute, Gdansk Branch
Project Management Institute was established in 1969 and is the leading international non-profit organization, uniting more than 500 000 experts and enthusiasts of project management in over 185 countries.
In Poland, PMI Poland Chapter includes 9 branches. PMI Gdansk Branch, under the leadership of President – Przemyslaw Kotecki, is rapidly expanding activities including: cyclic seminars and workshops, the conference “New Trends in Project Management” (along with the NTPM Academy), English Camp and PM@Schools.

Pramod_16

Alumni
Hi, In the below example from the online simulation exam; the question is to calculate LF date of task F.

The answer explanation to the below question says "The latest finish date of Task F is dependent on the early start dates of Task G and Task X, 10 and 9 respectively"---Was wondering if the explanation is correct???
(or)
should I actually read as " latest finish date of Task F is dependent on the latest start dates of Task G and Task X??

If my understanding is wrong, please explain; how did we get ES of Task G=10 and Task X=9?

upload_2016-3-2_14-24-13.png

AmerNatarajan

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Thanks for posting the question Pramod. We are going to have our trainer help you with your query. You will recieve an update from him soon.

tim jerome

Trainer
The description is confusing, Pramod. It should have read "Task F is dependent on the earlier of the Late Starts of Task G and X..." The rest of the description is solid, though - this is the latest you can finish F and still have G and X start without delay, or delaying the end of the project.

Now to the rest of your question - ABCDE defines your project duration, or 25. For this solution, I've used "Day 0" methodology.

Understanding that project duration is 25, H must finish by that duration. Walking backwards along the paths of FGH and FXH, we have

H: LF=25, LS=20
G: LF=20, LS=10
X: LF=20, LS= 9

Once again, in order to not delay X, we need to finish F by LS=9. Otherwise, X, and therefore the end of the project get pushed out.

Pramod_16

Alumni
Can you please explain the exact difference between a 'Risk' and 'Contingency' ?. An explanation with example would be of great help
Came across these terms under 'Definitions' category in the Glossary section of PMBOK 5 but they appear to be 'high level' & finding it tough to grasp the concept.

tim jerome

Trainer
I can see your confusion, Pramod. If you look in the PMBOK glossary, you get these definitions -

Contingency - An Event or occurrence
that could effect the execution of the project
that may be accounted for with a reserve.

Risk - An uncertain even that,
if it occurs,
has a positive or negative effect
on one or more project objectives.

I'll assume you're comfortable with the definition for risk (chance of occurrence, possibly +/- impact), so we'll focus on contingency. If you read other PMI documents, such as the PMI lexicon, you'll find contingency as "pre-determined trigger condition". You do have to dig for it, but it's there. In risk management section of the PMBOK, they provide a contingency example (section 11.5.2.3, p 346) of missing intermediate milestones. This contingency would be part of a risk's characteristics, not established as its own risk. Therefore, the contingency response will be triggered by that (contingency) event or occurrence happening. Otherwise, you'll rely on the general risk response.

You will notice in the PMBOK 'contingency' glossary entry that contingencies may be accounted for with a reserve, or estimated extra time/cost.

Final note - the practice standard for Risk management discusses contingencies as 'predefined trigger conditions' that can trigger a contingency response. It also discusses reserves as not only extra time or cost, but also resources. More food for thought -

AmerNatarajan

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Hi Tim,

Could you please us with some tips and advice on having a PMP application filled appropriately. What would be the key aspects that we should keep in mind?

Pramod_16

Alumni
On page 47 of PMP Ebook(simplilearn material) (Chapter is Project Mangement Framework); its mentioned as "When the organization type is not mentioned, it can be assumed to be a matrix type of organization." Please clarify whether its to be assumed as a Weak, Balanced or Strong matrix?

AmerNatarajan

Simplilearn Support
Alumni
On page 47 of PMP Ebook(simplilearn material) (Chapter is Project Mangement Framework); its mentioned as "When the organization type is not mentioned, it can be assumed to be a matrix type of organization." Please clarify whether its to be assumed as a Weak, Balanced or Strong matrix?

Hi Pramod.

The statement " When the organization type is not mentioned, it can be assumed to be a matrix type of organization." is in regards to the type of question that maybe asked in the PMP exam. Below is the explanation.

Statement made:- Business scenario based questions to identify the type of organization structure can be expected in the PMP exam. When the organization type is not mentioned, it can be assumed to be a matrix type of organization.

Explanation:- Here in-case a question is asked in the PMP exam where the type of organization structure is not mentioned, we can assume that its a matrix type of organization that is the structure.

Samer barakeh(3330)

Trainer
what is the right sequence of the following events?
Now let's try to add some PMBoK terms to see....

A: This is the person in charge - stamp. This is the Assigned Project Manager (Charter?) + document approved (sponsor signature?)
B: Based on what we will put into this, it will probably take us ... based on resources determined for the activity, the estimated time will be...
C: Detailed breakdown, everything must be clear enough. if it is not here, we are not doing it! WBS
D: Should we do this? is it worth the effort? Assessing the feasibility of the project
E: what are the things that we should DO to achieve each one of these? Decomposition: Actives to DO to achieve every Work Package
F: Broadly speaking, this is it. Details to come later. High Level Scope/Requirements
G: What can we do first, what comes next? logical sequencing of activities

If you think this is not PMP related, have a second look!
It is about comprehending the concepts rather than tracking/memorizing the words.

Best,

The Answer is: D F A C E G B

Last edited:

Debadatta

Alumni

A: This is the person in charge - stamp.
B: Based on what we will put into this, it will probably take us ...
C: Detailed breakdown, everything must be clear enough. if it is not here, we are not doing it!
D: Should we do this? is it worth the effort?
E: what are the things that we should DO to achieve each one of these?
F: Broadly speaking, this is it. Details to come later.
G: What can we do first, what comes next?

It is about comprehending the concepts rather than tracking/memorizing the words.

Best,

Sequence D A F C E G (Not clear on B).

Omkar Gongle

Alumni

C: Detailed breakdown, everything must be clear enough. if it is not here, we are not doing it!

Best,
D, A, F, B, C, E, G

Elizabeth Darnell

Alumni

Best,
Yay, I finally have access!!! Thank you for helping me.

D, F, C, E, G, B, A

Syed Khalid(1801)

Alumni
Now let's try to add some PMBoK terms to see....

A: This is the person in charge - stamp. This is the Assigned Project Manager (Charter?) + document approved (sponsor signature?)
B: Based on what we will put into this, it will probably take us ... based on resources determined for the activity, the estimated time will be...
C: Detailed breakdown, everything must be clear enough. if it is not here, we are not doing it! WBS
D: Should we do this? is it worth the effort? Assessing the feasibility of the project
E: what are the things that we should DO to achieve each one of these? Decomposition: Actives to DO to achieve every Work Package
F: Broadly speaking, this is it. Details to come later. High Level Scope/Requirements
G: What can we do first, what comes next? logical sequencing of activities

Best,

My Answer is:
A, F, D, C, E, G, B

geetaa v sharmaa

Alumni

As per me the answer should be "A". Please advise if otherwise