Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PMP Application Process

tim jerome

Trainer
Hi - I answered your question in this thread. As long as you and your reference reach concensus, and as long as your work describes what you did, leading and directing, PMI will be comfortable. They are most comfortable when the hours you estimated fit within expectations of the length of the project and the estimates to the general tasks you described make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingKi Kessell

Customer
Customer
Hi
I am a PM in technology and the company I worked for 8 years ago as a PM no longer exists because they went into receivership.
Therefore their contact details no longer exist.

Can I still put them onto my application?

tim jerome

Trainer
Contact PMI - in the front of the handbook, there is an email (customercare@pmi.org), as well as phone numbers. THese folks rock. They regularly work with credential aspirants to determine feasibility of using these hours. A reference is someone in reasonable authority who can stand for you and understands your work; there are options.

Thanks for your question -

_27743

I filled the application. Attaching my application. Can someone review the same please and confirm asap

Attachments

• application_3800451 (1).pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 78
  • application.png
    application.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 56

_20131

All the dates will be on the certificate - merely use the dates, words, et al as described. This will be very handy if you are audited, and need to submit your certificate as evidence.

Thanks,
Do i only need to submit the certificate for evidence of education or do i also need to get a letter from SimpliLearn

kumar Prium

Hello PMP Aspirants,

Please go through the attached presentation to fill PMP online application in PMI website.

Regards,
Mukesh

Hi Mukesh,

I want to get me PMP application reviewed .I have gone trough the thread and based on the suggestion i have tried to create a ticket through help and support but which creating the ticket i am facing a error where it only accepts jpg or png formats.Can you please look into it and share the way forward.I am attaching the screenshot as well

Thanks,

Attachments

• File Ticket_error.png
    File Ticket_error.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 41

_27458

Hi, started filling the application form. My first experience as Lead is for 20 months. While entering the details, it is seen that full experience is not being considered in the application. Can simplilearn help me on this? Attached a screen shot of the same. it is showing 20 months vs 6 months (Actual vs Qualified).

Attachments

• pm_application_issue.JPG
    pm_application_issue.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 58

_9248

Hello Mukesh, Simplilearn team,

Planning to complete PMP in next 2 months.
Specifically for 6th Edition, have downloaded Practice test papers, classroom materials etc available.
Apart from this, any PDF / sheet available on Formula used in 6th edition -
example :
1. Basic EVM Formula
2. Cost Management Plan
3. Basis of Estimate
4. Project Charter template
5. Activity Attributes
6. 4 days exercise after Cost / Quality Management

Kindly suggest.

Thanks
Sohini

tim jerome

Trainer
How many projects is not a criteria. I would recommend for any estimates working with your reference and agreeing a reasonable analysis of documenting the work. Here are the details:

• You don't need the job title "Project Manager".
  • You do need to have performed the work of leading and directing project work.
  • Your reference should be comfortable with your estimates and project description.
  • PMI likes to see the 4,500 hours across the last 3-8 years, so you can easily document less than 40 hours per week - that's the idea anyway. It gives you great experience in both operations (organizational repeated work) and project work.
To see examples of 'leading and directing project work - look to the document "Exam Content Outline" - it shows a great overview of what PMI considers leading the project in short, succinct descriptions (link here).

I just tried to send my PMP application to getcertified@simplilearn.com for reviewing before submitting it. However, my email is bounced with mail message below.

"We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (getcertified) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at https://support.google.com/a/simplilearn.com/bin/topic.py?topic=25838."
Is there a different way to send in my application for reviewing?

Thank you very much!

Lalitha P

Hello PMP Aspirants,

Please go through the attached presentation to fill PMP online application in PMI website.

Regards,
Mukesh
Sir,

I have sent my PMP Application. Please review and provide feedback.
Thanks,
Lalitha

Attachments

• PMP Application_v1.pdf
    73.9 KB · Views: 52

_39027

Hi,
I am currently on Maternity leave from Mar 2018 and will be appearing for PMP exam in Dec/Jan before joining office. So there is no work experience from March. So how do I mention this gap in the application?

tim jerome

Trainer
No. In fact, PMI expects you to have such gaps; we have times where we are not working on projects. PMI expects we had this experience across the last 3-8 years.

_39027

No. In fact, PMI expects you to have such gaps; we have times where we are not working on projects. PMI expects we had this experience across the last 3-8 years.
Thanks Tim. One more question, I have worked on two similar projects in different time duration, so the responsibilities remain same. Hence the description of project responsibilities will be similar in those projects. Hope this is fine.

tim jerome

Trainer
PMI will look for the tasks you did, and also how the individual projects reflected the dissimilarities. For instance, they'll throw a red-flag up if they see that the two projects look like a 'copy and paste' exercise. do your diligence, you'll be fine.

_40360

Hello,
Question 1: At which time of the application process does the payment request appear?
Question 2: I'm willing to becaome a PMI Member also because its fee is fully recovered on the exam cost. When is the best time to become a PMI Member? Before starting the application or between application submission and the payment request (mentioned at question 1)?
Question 3: If I save the application process to be continued later will I be able to make any change to it then?

Thanks
Marco

tim jerome

Trainer
1. payment request is after application is approved and after audit, if you're selected.
2. In order to maximize account access, pay for membership before paying for your exam, in order to take advantage of discount - just before.
3. You can go back to the application and update, as well as continue.

_41187

Hi all. I have a question please. i need info regarding the 4500 hrs of project management experience. How many years back? and does it have to be consecutive? Is it ok if the last projects i managed were 6 years ago?

tim jerome

Trainer
Generally, PMI prefers about 3-8 years. That's enough time to gain experience in both projects and operational work.

_40360

Hi, I've sent my application with few questions to the email address getcertified@simplilearn.com to ask for your kind validation.
I've received an instant answer to that saying "...the group you tried to contact (getcertified) may not exist....".
In case you haven't received my email could you give me suggestion on how I could share my application with you?

Thanks
Marco

_52390

Hello,
Regarding having a referee for my project experience. I understand that the referee must be a supervisor, or someone who has overseen my work. The company for which I spent most time has a policy which prohibits supervisors from speaking/writing about ex-employees. Please advise on what I should do to get a recommendation.

tim jerome

Trainer
Contact PMI immediately - they will provide you an alternative, or help you put together another plan. I have MANY friends who work on top-secret work, which is of the same consideration. PMI is very friendly, and deals with such scenarios constantly - they are the experts.

You can find contact information for PMI in the PMP handbook (link here).

_49203

Hi Mukesh/Team,

I have sent an email with my Application attached. Please kindly review and let me know if there are any corrections.

Thanks & Regards,
Irshad Shaik

Hi,
Could you please share which email address I should send my application for review? Can Tim please review and provide feedback? Thank you.

_52479

Anyone applied for PMI/PMP Exam via PMI in the last couple of weeks ?
PMI Not issuing Elegibilty ID even though exam fee paid
Appreciate your response so I can isoloate the issue

Hi all,

The current PMP application doesn't allow to download the application before submission. How do you propose I can get my application reviewed? Should i instead send it in a word format?

Regards,
Aparna

Ernesto Waines

Hi all,

The current PMP application doesn't allow to download the application before submission. How do you propose I can get my application reviewed? Should i instead send it in a word format?

Regards,
Aparna
I need assistance with this as well. Does SimpliLearn help with reviews?

Prema.M

Staff member
Simplilearn Support
Alumni
Hi Learner,

Hope you are doing well!

Please find the attached sample PM description draft below for your reference to fill PMP online application on the PMI website.

https://authentication.pmi.org/Defa...393000&usg=AFQjCNEe7y5DzK9AoiMx3WJlWVuyOOxi2w

Please ensure that the description is aligned to the tasks included in PMP Exam content outline. It should be leading and directing the Project.The description of the project management experiences should be aligned to the process groups and must include PM specific keywords.The PM experiences should be 3 years from your last 8 years of work experience and it should not be overlapping.

Kindly summarize the description by all process areas (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing-abbreviations are acceptable IN, PL, EX, MC & CL) and then there is our analysis of what has changed with the PMP Application:

#The 550-character limit of the project description field is replaced with a new required minimum of 100 words and the suggestion that a typical description is between 200 and 500 words.

#you won’t have to report the hours you worked or separate them into each PMBOK domain area. PMI realized that most people didn’t keep a record of hours and forced them to guess at it. It’s great to no longer have to do that guesswork since it never mattered how many hours you report in each process area anyways.

#you won’t have to include contact details, addresses, phone numbers, or emails in the initial application. If you are audited, PMI will ask for this information, so you should still prepare them to be contacted by PMI and make sure they agree with your application.
What is Not Changing:

Based on our research and testing so far, what hasn’t changed is:

#The project description field will still be one of the most important items that the PMI reviewers use to decide if your experience looks like it meets their criteria and expectations. PMI will continue to send rejection emails if they decide your application does not qualify for whatever reason (most commonly replying that some of it sound like “operations” rather than a qualifying “project”).

#The other fields will continue to be an important source of data for deciding whether your application qualifies.

#The PMP application requirements, review, approval, rejection, and audit processes do not appear to be changing.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Prema M

Attachments

• PMP Application draft sample sep13th.pdf
    240.3 KB · Views: 55
Hi Simplilearn Team,

I'd like to ask if there's an impact in the acceptance of PMP exam application if:
1. I was not the PM in the project/s
2. I was only involved in a project midway
3. I weren't able to finish a certain project due to a re-org/transfer to a different company

Also, just to clarify, does the "Project Date" in the application mean inception of project or is it the date when I was involved in the project?

Thank you.

Regards,
Jeane

Last edited:
The best advice is from other students. Here is a collection that constantly come up -
  • Refer to the Exam Content Outline (Link here). This is a general description of the 'general' tasks a PM performs, leading and directing. This is a start, and you'll need to modify to demonstrate how you performed these activities for your specific project.
  • the 550 Character limit for each project is a challenge, but is very doable if you truly understand what PM is and how you did the PM work within your project.
  • Start with most recent projects, work backwords in time until you have captured 4500 hours across 36 months. Then stop, and you don't have to do more.
  • Each project does not require time from each process group but PMI expects some time in each group across your entire experience.
  • Confirm and validate with your reference. A reference can be a reference for more than one project, and each project requires a reference.
For other advice, check out other threads in this sub-forum -this one is particularly good, since it shows a couple examples. If you are still in doubt after this effort, feel free to reach out to PMI (they want to help you succeed) and ask us for assistance as well.

Good luck,
Hi Tim,
How can I ( being a teacher all my life)prove my PM experience in the application.

Hi

My question is - in an organization , if i worked in multiple applications and handled multiple projects, do i need to list down each project and its duration in the application or can i just mention the application name and the duration of stay in that application??? And how to mention the budget details ?

tim jerome

Trainer
Generally, the application is the same. The application has been simplified a bit - where you don't have to document hours, just document months of non-overlapping leading & directing. Here are the details.

Hi,

Need advice for the exam, as i am not having job since a year but having experience in Project management of about 7 yrs. So can i go for the exam now or only can go once i will have the Job again. Also few more below points.

# If i can go for the exam than in application form what should i mention in work address.
# Can i mention the Project work experience for 36 months form any of my previous project like 20 months from one project form 2014 to 2016 & 16 months from 2018 to 2020 like this.
# In case i requested for audit process than i need to submit a hard copy verified from my previous employer/ collogues or need to attached a verified soft copy.

tim jerome

Trainer
PMI understands we have breaks in our employment - for many reasons.

If you must put an office address in right now, and you don't have one, contact PMI and they'll assist. Contact information is in the front of the PMP handbook at the bottom of the exam application page.

You'll need a reference you can use. If this is a problem, again talk with PMI, they have solved this problem in many manners.

Hi,

could some one share the latest PMP application fill up process like the one Mukesh shared back in 2018? The attachment shared 3 years ago and looks like outdated.

PMI understands we have breaks in our employment - for many reasons.

If you must put an office address in right now, and you don't have one, contact PMI and they'll assist. Contact information is in the front of the PMP handbook at the bottom of the exam application page.

You'll need a reference you can use. If this is a problem, again talk with PMI, they have solved this problem in many manners.
Thanks a lot Tim!! Really Helpfull...