Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PMP Batch Jun 19,20,26,27 Jul 3,4,10,11,17 Vishal Kanoongo

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Please follow the steps below to raise
"Help and support" ticket.
>Login to LMS account,
>Select "help" icon on the top right hand side of the LMS page
>Select any query example:unlocking the certificate
>Connect to "Arya" the virtual assistant
>Select "other"
>To raise a ticket select " yes"

satishkchollangi

Alumni
This forum is created by for discussion on PMP queries after the class for ths group.
hi Vishal, Good morning. I see that PMBOK 6th edition is referring to previous knowledge areas and not the new 'process people and business environment knowledge areas'. Are the previous knowledge areas, processes, relevant any more? Does the exam focus on the new knowledge areas, task, enablers OR it focuses on old knowledge areas/processes from 6th edition or BOTH New and Old knowledge areas? Please clarify.

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
hi Vishal, Good morning. I see that PMBOK 6th edition is referring to previous knowledge areas and not the new 'process people and business environment knowledge areas'. Are the previous knowledge areas, processes, relevant any more? Does the exam focus on the new knowledge areas, task, enablers OR it focuses on old knowledge areas/processes from 6th edition or BOTH New and Old knowledge areas? Please clarify.
Hi Exam content Outlines (ECO) are maped from the material we are covering from the Slides
Slides also refer to PMBOK 6th Edition

Read all Slides + PMBOK Sixth Edition + Agile Practice guide

satishkchollangi

Alumni
Hi Mr. Vishal (Instructor),

in Agile, How does PO come up with cost baseline if product back log (non refined requirements) is not complete yet and not frozen (scope freeze did not happen). I am a certified scrum master and sometimes see this as a challenge when I am asked to lead projects not as a scrum master but as a PM (PO). Please clarify. I will certainly read Agile Practice guide but your 2 cents input/briefing will help.

Thanks Satish Chollangi

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni

in Agile, How does PO come up with cost baseline if product back log (non refined requirements) is not complete yet and not frozen (scope freeze did not happen). I am a certified scrum master and sometimes see this as a challenge when I am asked to lead projects not as a scrum master but as a PM (PO). Please clarify. I will certainly read Agile Practice guide but your 2 cents input/briefing will help.

Thanks Satish Chollangi
Hi, as discussed the request is outside the pmi lic. material we are covering.

However as you are requesting to provide you some help please see below and please do not expect more on this:

satishkchollangi

Alumni
Good morning. Hope you are having a great day. Please take time to read my below query thoroughly and post reply when you get a chance.
I am having some confusion with regard to Exam content. I understand that we have to refer PMBOK Sixth edition for exam preparation and I will certainly refer. What I am NOT understanding is will exam questions come on knowledge areas and process groups and other content listed in Sixth edition or previous editions of PMBOK. For example: The sixth edition talks about knowledge areas as Integration. scope, schedule, quality, resource, communications, risk, procurement Mgmt BUT the current slides or prep material we have today do not talk anything about such knowledge areas in Project management. Instead, they talk about domains, tasks and deliverables.

My questions are below:

a) Will the exam have questions on/from process groups and knowledge areas listed in 6th edition (or previous editions of PMBOK)? for example a question like: list the process groups and knowledge areas in Project mgmt.

OR

b) Knowledge areas and process groups in 6th edition or previous editions of PMBOK are considered as obsolete and exam will not focus on those. Exam will focus on only new content: Domains tasks and enablers BUT PMBOK 6th edition should be referred to understand the concepts (for ex: concept like how to create a scope mgmt plan document which is not covered in the slides).

Which one of my above understanding is correct. Please clarify. Your response is much appreciated, have a great day.

Thanks much.
Satish Chollangi

satishkchollangi

Alumni
PMBok seventh edition is due to release in a month or so. Does it make sense to wait for that than to study from 6th edition?
hi Ms. Jyoti, I have similar thoughts. however, to effectively use the training and be on track to finish preparation, at present. I am focusing more on studying the Slides (Student Manual-PMI Authorized PMP Exam Prep document.pdf from PMI Lo choice) as ECO is mapped to the new content/format and exam will be based on ECO.
I also posted a question to our instructor on similar lines regarding the scope of questions in 6th edition. I am looking forward to hear from him. Good luck.

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Good morning. Hope you are having a great day. Please take time to read my below query thoroughly and post reply when you get a chance.
I am having some confusion with regard to Exam content. I understand that we have to refer PMBOK Sixth edition for exam preparation and I will certainly refer. What I am NOT understanding is will exam questions come on knowledge areas and process groups and other content listed in Sixth edition or previous editions of PMBOK. For example: The sixth edition talks about knowledge areas as Integration. scope, schedule, quality, resource, communications, risk, procurement Mgmt BUT the current slides or prep material we have today do not talk anything about such knowledge areas in Project management. Instead, they talk about domains, tasks and deliverables.

My questions are below:

a) Will the exam have questions on/from process groups and knowledge areas listed in 6th edition (or previous editions of PMBOK)? for example a question like: list the process groups and knowledge areas in Project mgmt.

OR

b) Knowledge areas and process groups in 6th edition or previous editions of PMBOK are considered as obsolete and exam will not focus on those. Exam will focus on only new content: Domains tasks and enablers BUT PMBOK 6th edition should be referred to understand the concepts (for ex: concept like how to create a scope mgmt plan document which is not covered in the slides).

Which one of my above understanding is correct. Please clarify. Your response is much appreciated, have a great day.

Thanks much.
Satish Chollangi
Hello Mr. Satish

Hope you are doing great.

I gvae you the answer before again as per your request:

Read all PMI Lochoice material licensed all material + PMBOK Sixth Edition not previous versions+ Agile Practice guide

I am covering the Lic. material from slide as instructor and understanding around that as per instructor manual provided by PMI.

In exam your marking will be Domain wise like how much you scored in People and Process and Business Env.

Let us say question came from the PMBOK 6th edition (NOT PREVIOUS VERSIONS) match processess with Process Groups.

It will be counted towards your score in "Process Domain"

Please refer to Certification FAQ on PMILOCHOICE for more details.

Last edited:

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
PMBok seventh edition is due to release in a month or so. Does it make sense to wait for that than to study from 6th edition?
Hi for your query see below guidelines from PMI:

"How does the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition impact the Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification exam?
The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it is not a test-preparation tool. The new PMP® exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references. The new exam has been planned for some time and is not related to the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition."

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hello Mr. Satish

Hope you are doing great.

I gvae you the answer before again as per your request:

Read all PMI Lochoice material licensed all material + PMBOK Sixth Edition not previous versions+ Agile Practice guide

I am covering the Lic. material from slide as instructor and understanding around that as per instructor manual provided by PMI.

In exam your marking will be Domain wise like how much you scored in People and Process and Business Env.

Let us say question came from the PMBOK 6th edition (NOT PREVIOUS VERSIONS) match processess with Process Groups.

It will be counted towards your score in "Process Domain"

Please refer to Certification FAQ on PMILOCHOICE for more details.
Hello Satish,

Further to your query see the guidelines from PMI:

"How does the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition impact the Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification exam?
The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it is not a test-preparation tool. The new PMP® exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references. The new exam has been planned for some time and is not related to the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition."

satishkchollangi

Alumni
hi Mr. Vishal (Instructor),
Good morning. I have downloaded PMBOK 6th edition PDF document from PMI.Org website. It was given as a free download after I registered as PMI member. However, the PDF does not allow me to highlight or underline or book mark content during my reading. It looks like PMI has enforced rules on the document that do not allow such actions.

Do you have a PMBOK 6th edition PDF document that you can share that allows us highlight or underline or book mark content during reading so we can refer those sections later during revisions? I will look forward to hear from you.

Thanks for your support.
Satish Chollangi

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
hi Mr. Vishal (Instructor),
Good morning. I have downloaded PMBOK 6th edition PDF document from PMI.Org website. It was given as a free download after I registered as PMI member. However, the PDF does not allow me to highlight or underline or book mark content during my reading. It looks like PMI has enforced rules on the document that do not allow such actions.

Do you have a PMBOK 6th edition PDF document that you can share that allows us highlight or underline or book mark content during reading so we can refer those sections later during revisions? I will look forward to hear from you.

Thanks for your support.
Satish Chollangi
Hello Salish,

Unfortunately It is not allowed at all to share PMBOKCOPY.

Check with PMI for anything you need from them!

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hi,

Pfa the gist of each chapter in guidelines, good to recap.

Attachments

• Doing the Work.pdf
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Creating a High-Performing Team.pdf
    127.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Keeping the Business in Mind.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Keeping the Team on Track.pdf
    132.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Starting the Project.pdf
    167.5 KB · Views: 24

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Funding Limit reconciliation

Organizations have only so much cash to allocate to projects-and no, you can’t have all the monies right now. FLR is an organizations' approach to managing cash flows against the project deliverable based on a schedule, milestone accomplishments or data constraints. This helps and organization plan when monies will be devoted to a project rather than using all of the funds available at the start of the project. In other words, the monies for a project budget will become available based on dates/or deliverable. If the project does not hit the predetermined dates and products that were set as milestones, the additional funding becomes questionable.

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
A good note below:

Difference between audit and inspection

INSPECTION

An inspection is generally made of closed questions. The answer options are “yes” or “no”. Its role is to evaluate closely a product or a facility based on specific requirements, design… To do so, the inspector needs a plan and a check-list (this is the case for formal inspections only).

Factory inspection example: The inspector evaluates the building. It includes checking the fire tenders, exit doors, etc.

Product inspection example: The inspector will evaluate the quality of the produced goods. During a pre-shipment inspection, the quality controller picks a sample (following the AQLtable) or the complete batch depending on the client’s requirements. Then he/she/they check the products’ appearance and specifications, including some other special requirements from the client, and test them.

AUDIT
The audit examines the factory processes and performance based on standards & specific guidelines. It is like doing a survey: a neutral point of view. The objective is to identify the compliance & non-compliance to some specifications, standards, contractual agreements or other criteria.

An audit is made of observation. It inspects the equipment and processes based on the written procedures. To ensure the reality is in line with the “theory” (written procedures) it is quite common to interview employees about their working procedures.

Audits important output is the non-conformity list (minor and major). It allows to define action plans to improve the implemented system. Audits can be internal or external.

Example of ISO 9001 Audit It is based on the ISO 9001 standard and focuses on a supplier’s Quality management system: factory, service, company, etc. The auditor checks the documented procedures, forms and processes implemented. And most importantly, it looks for records: proves of the processes’ implementation.

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hi,

Sequence of study recommended after the class for your exam study:

After the classes are over read the material in detail again as exam is mapped to PMI slide material

Watch spotlight Videos on PMI Lochoice

Read PMBOK sixth Edition

Read Agile Practice Guide

Optional Read if you want another good book Rita Mulcahy 10th Edition.

Watch Simplilearn Videos.

Everyday study around 2 to 3 hours and more in weekends make your notes, cheat-sheets and flashcards

Attempt Questions from PMI Lochoice and Mock Tests from Simplilearn start scoring around 75 to 80%.

2 to 3 days before the exam read your notes and PMI study material again.

Hope that helps, key to success is remain committed and sincere in your effort.

satishkchollangi

Alumni
Hi Team/Attendees,

Is any one preparing already for exam and planning to take the PMP exam within next 2 months? Please comment. I am interested to know so we can start having a more frequent dialogue back and forth regarding subject matter, understanding on topics and relevant questions as they arise. It can be like a study group. Knowledge sharing, Collaboration and team preparation always helps to clear such complex certifications, Hope to hear back from at least some of you.

Thanks
Satish Chollangi

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hi,

Scrum of Scrums (SoS), also known as “meta-Scrum,” is a technique used when two or more Scrum teams consisting of three to nine members each need to coordinate their work instead of one large Scrum team.
A representative from each team attends a meeting with the other team representative(s), potentially daily but typically two to three times a week.

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
The Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) focuses on providing a knowledge base of patterns for scaling development work across all levels of the enterprise.
SAFe® is focused on the following principles:
Take an economic view.
Apply systems thinking.
Assume variability; preserve options.
Build incrementally with fast, integrated learning cycles.
Base milestones on objective evaluation of working systems.
Visualize and limit work in progress, reduce batch sizes, and manage queue lengths.
Apply cadence; synchronize with cross-domain planning.
Unlock the intrinsic motivation of knowledge workers

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hi Students,

This is the reply one of my other batch student get in relation to 7th Edition and 6th Edition of PMBOK and PMP Certification as below:

"The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it is not a test-preparation tool"

"The current version of the PMP exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references."

"You can take help from PMBOK seventh edition also as it is released already."

"Both versions is available on PMI website. Candidates can use it as a reference."

"We strongly recommend that candidates refer to the current Exam Content Outline for up-to-date information about preparing for certifications. Information about PMI certifications and future changes can be found at pmi.org/certifications."

"As you have studied from PMBOK 6th edition and LOCHOICE, it is also good."

Hope that helps.

Hi Team/Attendees,

Is any one preparing already for exam and planning to take the PMP exam within next 2 months? Please comment. I am interested to know so we can start having a more frequent dialogue back and forth regarding subject matter, understanding on topics and relevant questions as they arise. It can be like a study group. Knowledge sharing, Collaboration and team preparation always helps to clear such complex certifications, Hope to hear back from at least some of you.

Thanks
Satish Chollangi
Hi Satish, I am looking for clearing PMP in the coming 2-3 months. Can connect for the same (study group/doubts/ insights sharing).
Regards
Kiran

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Scrum of Scrums (SoS), also known as “meta-Scrum,” is a technique used when two or more Scrum teams consisting of three to nine members each need to coordinate their work instead of one large Scrum team.
A representative from each team attends a meeting with the other team representative(s), potentially daily but typically two to three times a week.

The Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) focuses on providing a knowledge base of patterns for scaling development work across all levels of the enterprise.
SAFe® is focused on the following principles:
Take an economic view.
Apply systems thinking.
Assume variability; preserve options.
Build incrementally with fast, integrated learning cycles.
Base milestones on objective evaluation of working systems.
Visualize and limit work in progress, reduce batch sizes, and manage queue lengths.
Apply cadence; synchronize with cross-domain planning.
Unlock the intrinsic motivation of knowledge workers

Vinod Winston

Alumni
Hi Team/Attendees,

Thanks
Satish Chollangi
Yes that would be good and important too..

Vinod Winston

Alumni
Hi,

Please see below in relation to PMBOK 7th Edition.

I suggest call or email PMI on latest guidelines on PMBOK 7th Edition in relation to PMP Certification.

Thx
The FAQ on PMI Lo choice says the below..
Question: How does the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition impact the Project Management
Professional (PMP®) certification exam?

The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it
is not a test-preparation tool. The new PMP® exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to
use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references. The new exam has been planned
for some time and is not related to the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition.
We strongly recommend that candidates refer to the current Exam Content Outline for up-to-date
information about preparing for certifications. Information about PMI certifications and future
changes can be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
The FAQ on PMI Lo choice says the below..
Question: How does the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition impact the Project Management
Professional (PMP®) certification exam?

The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it
is not a test-preparation tool. The new PMP® exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to
use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references. The new exam has been planned
for some time and is not related to the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition.
We strongly recommend that candidates refer to the current Exam Content Outline for up-to-date
information about preparing for certifications. Information about PMI certifications and future
changes can be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications
Hi,

Also see below the reply one of the other batch student got from PMI in line with same question:

"The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it is not a test-preparation tool"

"The current version of the PMP exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references."

"You can take help from PMBOK seventh edition also as it is released already."

"Both versions is available on PMI website. Candidates can use it as a reference."

"We strongly recommend that candidates refer to the current Exam Content Outline for up-to-date information about preparing for certifications. Information about PMI certifications and future changes can be found at pmi.org/certifications."

"As you have studied from PMBOK 6th edition and LOCHOICE, it is also good."

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Funding Limit reconciliation
Organizations have only so much cash to allocate to projects-and no, you can’t have all the monies right now. FLR is an organizations' approach to managing cash flows against the project deliverable based on a schedule, milestone accomplishments or data constraints. This helps and organization plan when monies will be devoted to a project rather than using all of the funds available at the start of the project. In other words, the monies for a project budget will become available based on dates/or deliverable. If the project does not hit the predetermined dates and products that were set as milestones, the additional funding becomes questionable.

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hi,

If you have taken the PMI Membership and looking for Agile Practice Guide search with the help of note below from one of the Member:

"I downloaded the PMBOK, but it (or at least the version I downloaded) did not have the Agile Practice Guide at the back. I went to the site marketplace.pmi.org and I did a search for the Agile Practice Guide. I found it in the list of items returned. I clicked on the link and was able to download the PDF version for free as I am a PMI Member. It is password protected, but I have it."

vishal_nd(4693104)

Alumni
Hi Students,

Please see as requested by few of you to make your Custom Study Plan as per you family and work commitments.

Hope that helps, we will discuss in class tomorrow:

Plz see below illustrative example of Study Plan Template:

(Customize the below in an Excel Sheet for your Study Plan)

A) Domain Task Resource(PMI slides/Spotlite Videos/SL Videos) Date of Study Time Spent(Hours)

1) People

2)Process

3) Business Environment

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Total 200-300 Hours in Two to Three Months
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

B) Read PMBOK 6th Edition. Start Date: End Date:

C) Read Agile Practise Guide Start Date: End Date

D) Mock Test Planning:

Mock Test 1. Date: Score

Mock Test 2. Date: Score

Mock Test 3: Date: Score

Mock Test 4: Date: Score
Mock Test N; Date: Score

Consistently Score 75% or Above in mock tests and you can think of Taking the Exam.

2 to 3 Days Before going to the Exam read the PMILOCHOICE material and your notes flashcards and cheat-sheets

Last edited: