Contest PMP Certification Examination

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Rashmi Ranjan Pattanaik, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Rashmi Ranjan Pattanaik

I appeared for PMP Certification test today (14-Jan-2020) and status - Passed.
    >> The PMP e-learning materials and multiple sets of exercises by Simplilearn was really helpful.
    >> The training sessions by the faculties are great. I attended the VLC session of Manjunath Nagaraju (9-Nov-2019 to 7-12-2019) and also gone thru recorded contents of classes conducted by Tim Jerome (2-Dec-2019 to 17-Dec-2019). I wish to thank both the faculties for their contribution to my success.
    >> Thanks Simplilearn team for all their effort in making the whole experience outstanding.
    >> Sharing few pointers below for future PMP aspirants.
    1) I strongly feel SImplilearn Course content + Live Training Sessions + PMBOK-6th Edition are good enough to pass the exam.
    2) I completed the whole process in 65 days days time (i.e from 9-Nov-2019 to 14-Jan-2020). I suggest to take it like a project with a dead line and try to achieve it. Pay the exam fee (after getting clearance from PMI), fix up a schedule between within 1 to 2 month by blocking your date for the exam. Taking this call is important. Once you decide the date, your count down to exam begins and you get lot of positive energy from within to make it happen.
    3) I had bought a RITA Mulcahy PMP Exam Prep 9th Edition for preparation. But, I found it to be having a different approach to the study process. After going through some of the chapters, i started getting bit confused and dropped the idea of going through the RITA Book. There is nothing wrong or right about the book - but that is a completely different approach. If you have plenty of time, then think of it/ else there is no need. It's my way of looking into the Book - take your own call in deciding for the book.
    4) The PMP exam is not easy, but sincerity and consistency matters.
    5) Must go through the complete PMBOK Guide 6th Edition minimum 3 times to understand it from exam perspective. Do not miss the Part-2 (starting from page-539) and Par-3 (starting from page-637) of the PMBOK 6th Edition. Also go through Appendix X3, X4, X5, X6 and Glossary. The PMBOK Guide is like a Holy book Bhagavad Gita/Bible - the more you read, the more you enjoy it and get more clarity of the said process and concepts behind it. Every word in the PMBOK is a carefully chosen word and is important. Read it from knowledge perspective, you will enjoy it more.
    6) Go through the virtual classes sincerely. Both VLC sessions and self-learning material helps to clarify things in a great way. If possible go through recording of 2 faculties (which is allowed by Simplilearn) - it helps.
    7) Will suggest to use pen and paper to write the complete 49 Processes (ITTO) and key concepts of each Knowledge area in your own way by your own hand, which will help you take a quick walk-through of complete processes in 2 hours on the last night before the exam.
    8) Write all 49 processes by using acronyms (e.g. - Develop Project Charte = DPC) in a tabular form as shown in Page-25 of PMBOK. It takes 5 to 7 minutes to write the complete table. I guarantee, after writing it for 7-10 days, you will not forget the 49 processes for rest of your life.
    9) The PMBOK Soft copy is highly protected material and you can not highlight on it. Preferably purchase a hard copy of PMBOK-6th Edition from Amazon/ or from any other authorized seller. Break the binding carefully to single pages and put it in a ring file so that you can take out a small part of the book for reading purpose. Use a florescent green highlighter to mark the important points/concepts as per your need.
    10) Practice the 8 sets of the questions at least 2 times. More than 2 times it may not be helpful, as you start remembering the questions and related answers also. Do it in an exam mode of 4 hours of focused time without distraction.
    11) Please reach the exam venue/hall at least 30 minutes before the scheduled time. Reaching late might lead to cancellation of your schedule and the exam fee may get forfeited. Must carry an original valid (not expired) Govt Id Card - Passport preferred. You will not be allowed with anything other than your Id Card to the hall (you will have to leave paper/pen/pencil/eraser/calculator/key/cell phone/wallet/handkerchief etc. in the locker outside the hall)
    12) Last but not the least - be confident and keep your motivation level high for the 4 hours in the exam hall. Answer all 200 questions to the best of your knowledge and leave the rest to GOD - HE will take care of it. Best of luck to all my friends going to appear the PMP exam in future.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. Priyanka Gupta_1

As you have suggested to go through PMBOK atleast thrice and to include part II & III. I have started reading PMBOK and find it very time consuming. Not sure will be able to complete it 3 times in 2 months

3. Arjun Pareek

Arjun Pareek Member

Hi,

I passed the PMP exam yesterday ( 16 Jan 2020 ). I would like to thanks Simplilearn, Sachin & Tim J for the detailed sessions and clarifying my doubts.
    Good luck to the future PMP aspirants for exam.
    Feel Free to drop me a message regarding preparation , exam content etc. I will try my best to answer.
    Thanks

4. _50749

_50749 Member

Hi
    @Arjun, are you referring Rita's book?? and what best methodology you follow? howmuch preparation time you given your self?

5. Srinivasan Ananth

Alumni

Congratulations Rashmi for your efforts and completing PMP.

6. Rashmi Ranjan Pattanaik

Please take a targeted approach to complete at least one chapter at a time in a fixed duration of 2-3 hours. Its impossible to mug up and remember everything. You need to logically co-relate things, use a highlighter to highlight key points in the book so that it will be easier while reading next time. Also I found that the exam pattern of questions do not except you to remember everything in the ITTO. However remembering all 49 processes and its sequence of appearance helps and boosts your confidence. There is no rule that you will have to complete the book 3 times. The objective is to read as many times as possible. Must go through recording of webinars and PMBOK Guide simultaneously for better impact. Means if you are going through the webinar for Cost management, then after completing the same, please go through the PMBOK for Cost chapter as well - it helps and gives better clarity. If you also can write down important concepts and ITTOs for each chapter while reading the PMBOK, that helps greatly in the last moment (i.e. on the night before the exam day). After you complete the book + classroom sessions once, take the practice exams like taking the actual exam. Please do complete all 8 sets of tests at least 2 times before the final exam. Go through the wrongly answered questions thoroughly after competing each set. Last but not the least - listen to everyone but follow your own instinct which you feel comfortable. Have confidence on yourself - you will certainly pass the PMP exam. Wish you best of luck....GOD bless you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 5:57 AM