Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PMP Exam Prep Questions, Answers and Explainations 2016 edition

I have a few questions I would like to get some clarification from. Can some one give me some guidance.

I purchased a book called "PMP Exam Prep Questions, Answers & Explainations, Updated 2016 edition by Christopher Scordo.
Question 24 pg 143 reads;
On a control chart, if six consecutive plot points are above the mean, then what can be established about the process?
a) The process is out of control
b) The process will be out of control after plotting the seventh point.
c) The process is in control
d) Nothing can be established

The author says the answer is d. Can this be explained to me? I believe the answer should be "C".

Priyamwada

Simplilearn Support
Hi Tyrell,

I have forwarded your query to our trainer.
Kindly allow us 24-48 hrs of time while we revert with an update.

Regards,
Priyamwada

Sreidhar D(1820)

Alumni
Hi Tyrell,
I am sorry for the late response.
Rule of seven in Control Chart says seven consecutive data points lying above or below the mean
denotes process is out of control. Here, it is saying only six points are above the mean hence you cannot
conclude either way i.e if the process is out of control or within control.. Anything can be established only after plotting the seventh point.
Hence you cannot clearly establish if the process is under control either.so D is correct option at this point in time.
Thanks
Sridhar

Thank you for your response. I thought the process would be either "in control" or "out of control". I am afraid of a trick question in the exam. In PMP literature, where would the tipping point be between "in control" and "nothing can be established"? 3 points above the mean? 4 points above the mean?