PMP Prep Sep 14-Oct 7 (Tim)

Discussion in 'PMP' started by tim jerome, Sep 14, 2020.

1. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

This is the thread we will use to share doubts, clarify concepts and promote motivation and confidence.

2. Mohit Kumar Sharma_1

3. Durga B Acharya

Hello Tim,

It was nice session and really liked it...

4. Sudipta Sarkar_2

5. SYED BADER UL HUDA

SYED BADER UL HUDA New Member

Hi Tim, Thnx for the first session - Looking forward for future sessions

6. Ramesh_130

Ramesh_130 Member

Ramesh:
    Hello Tim.. you sessions are very motivating and liked it.

7. Gae

Gae Active Member

Is there a new dropbox link for today's session

8. Gae

Gae Active Member

How can I access the cloud storage. I do not see a link anywhere.

9. Sudipta Sarkar_2

Hi Tim, I was unable to find the notes for yesterday's (9/15) session on the cloud. Could you upload them again? Also, are you using the same txt file in increment everyday, or creating new files for each session?

Thanks in advance.

10. tim jerome

Trainer

the session notes are a canonical list of all notes and class questions, and have date stamps and section breaks to organized. My process is to upload them within 30 minutes of leaving the session.

11. SAIKAT MANNA

SAIKAT MANNA Member

Hi Tim, We have completed 5 sessions of our Live Classes but at Certificate section it shows "yet to start". Whereas self learning section shows percentage completion. Is there anything wrong with our attendance to Live Classes?

12. Gae

Gae Active Member

I have started my application process, and the question is around the budget for the project. My projects have been all around new products or changed products for my old company. I was not given a budget per say but had to stay under a certain cost/unit.
    How should I calculate the budget (cost*# of units in the first year) ?
    Some projects were as high a 5million units in the first year.

13. Rajat_Kumar

Rajat_Kumar Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Simplilearn Support Alumni

Hi, Your dont have to give a precise figure here, an approximate value will also help, However would request @tim jerome to assist us here.

14. _27050

_27050 New Member

Hi Tim, I have a quick question. Every time a Project Manager has been assigned with the project, do they need to update with the PMI that he/she is working for the specific project. Might be a silly question however seeking answer. Thanks!

15. Gae

Gae Active Member

I thought I would share this with everyone. I took a screenshot of what the PMI is expecting in the experience section of the application. I took the screenshot on Sept 17th, 2020. Good luck everyone.

Attached Files:

16. Prema.M

Prema.M Well-Known Member

Hi Gae,

Thank you so much for the update,this surely helps!

Regards,
    Prema M

17. Gae

Gae Active Member

18. Gae

Gae Active Member

Thanks Rajat
    I am hoping that Tim answers this for me

19. Sudipta Sarkar_2

Hi there Tim! I was checking for the session notes on Dropbox, as I had not downloaded them after Friday. It seems the latest version of the notes is dated 9/25, while the dashboard has the latest update (9/29). Could you please refresh the upload? Thanks!

20. Support Simplilearn(4685)

Staff Member Alumni

@tim jerome

Kindly help us with the query.

21. Sudipta Sarkar_2

Hi fellow PMs,

Wanted to check with you if any of you have started on the Project yet? I am a little confused as to how it needs to be executed (do we just answer teh questions in text, or use proper documentation and PM templates, etc.). Any guidance from people who have started or even completed their SimpliLearn project/s would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

22. vighnesh panchal

vighnesh panchal New Member

Hello Tim,
    Can you share your views on Changes in the PMP exam structure (Current vs Jan21 ) Pattern, to what extent it will change and same with the New PMBOK. It seems I won't be able to appear before Jan21 and need some ideas. Kindly help!

23. Prema.M

Prema.M Well-Known Member

Hi Sudipta,

Please note as part of the course certification criteria you are expected to complete any one of the project reflected in your LMS.

1.To find the project related questions involved in the project;

>Login to your LMS account,select self learning tab scroll down;
    >Under "Course resourses" download the "project" folder,
    >Select the project you want to work on,say for "Software industry" project
    >Select "Projects for submission",answer all the questions involved and submit it.

2.Please follow the steps below to submit your project;

>Login to your lms account ,
    >Select "Assessment"tab option
    >Select the project you have chosen to work on,
    >Select "Submit button at the bottom right corner of the lms page.
    >Attach pdf, doc, ppt, jpg, png format file in word document and attach by selecting "Add" option and select "Submit Project " option.

Note-Please do not use any special characters while submitting the project file to avoid uploading error.

I am sure this helps!Kindly raise a new ticket for any future issues.

Regards,
    Prema M

24. Andrea Plumley

Andrea Plumley Customer
    Customer

Tim,
    Thank you for accepting me into your class and for all of your notes, support, and wisdom. I am a Kinetic learner with ADHD. I find standard ways of learning very difficult for retention purposes. Do you have any suggestions for "out of the box" studying and retaining?

25. SAIKAT MANNA

SAIKAT MANNA Member

Hi Sudipta,
    I have uploaded but it is under assessment right now. I can surely give some hints if my write up is accepted.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  26. Antony Herald(4501)

Antony Herald(4501) New Member

Hi Tim,
    Since I had completed project2 sometime back, I took up the project1 of the assignment completed and uploaded the same, Pls review and share your review points.

27. Support Simplilearn(4685)

Staff Member Alumni

Hi learner,

The project will be evaluated in 3-4 working days.

28. Swarnim Poddar

Swarnim Poddar New Member

Hi Tim,

Please answer this question.

You are in charge of managing a software development project that is related to simulations for driving racing cars. In one of your team meetings, it is revealed that a lot of issues have been reported in the air tunnel modelling module. On deeper analysis, it is found that many of the issues could have been prevented had a simple code review checklist been used. You prepare a code review checklist and ensure the code is reviewed per the checklist. This is a good example of:

Corrective Action

Preventive Action

Defect Repair

Quality Control

I think the answer should be Quality Control as the it the work is already completed . Please suggest

29. Support Simplilearn(4685)

Staff Member Alumni

30. SAIKAT MANNA

SAIKAT MANNA Member

Hi,
    Anybody has taken membership of PMI recently in INDIA? If so how much you have paid?
    In PMI website I found it is asking for INR 9963 plus INR 772 which is much higher than $129 and $ 10!

31. tim jerome

Trainer

I'm changing my daily validation processes to confirm I am updating the files appropriately. I have the file locally for the class, and within 30 minutes I copy that (original) file to the folder. Please tell me if you find issues. I am constantly multi-tasking, so it could be me.

32. tim jerome

Trainer

You are in for a treat. I just posted this to a new learner, and gave them what I provide everyone. I have attention issues as well, and have used this strategy to do amazing things I could never have overcome until I proved to myself it's possible.

If you are patient with yourself, you will find other strengths to overcome this perceived weakness - and every perceived weakness at its core is a strength.

Now, to the method -

You're not going to memorize as many facts and figures as you want to in the time you want to take the exam. There has to be a better strategy - and there is.

First of all - get yourself a composition book and a pen or pencil, and keep your PMBOK beside you.

Sit down with about 20-50 questions daily, challenging yourself as if you were sitting for the real exam. Note the questions you got wrong, and capture the parts of the PM Framework you need clarity.

Make a note of these areas in the journal. Open the PMBOK, review the processes, and see if there is anything interesting with the inputs and outputs that add clarity. Write that down. This will start you on the path of capturing patterns of flow and themes.

An example is issue logs. They go into certain interesting processes (inputs) and are updated by other interesting processes (outputs). The index shows you where to look for these connections. Write this down. Try to tell yourself a story with these patterns and themes.

Look up the tools and techniques in the processes - you can see where these are and where their definitions are in Appendix X6, on p. 685. Capture these details in your journal. Put an asterisk by concepts and patterns you don't understand. Ask questions. Dig into the areas that seem to come up over and over. Use the forum extensively.

From past performance of test-takers, it seems that about 80-85% correct questions is the spot you want to aim for. When you are consistently scoring at this level, consider scheduling your exam. Schedule it out about 2-3 weeks, and continue this daily study.

This is how you learn. This is what turns recognition into comprehension. Do this for the exam, and you'll be able to do it for any area of study. I'm currently doing this same activity to learn how societies fall, how to build a community, and how to embrace a moral life. With this skill, you can move forward in any endeavor you choose.

Ayesha Gittens-Brown likes this.
  33. Gae

Gae Active Member

PMP Master Quiz
    8-17 You are performing root cause analysis to figure out the reason behind a problem that was discovered during testing. Which process are you performing?

a) Perform Quality Assurance
    b) Inspection
    c) Process analysis
    d) Control Quality
    Answer: D – Root cause analysis is a tool or technique within the process of Control Quality. Perform Quality Assurance is about verifying compliance with quality policies and procedures. Process analysis is a tool and technique included within Manage Quality process. Refer to page,288 PMBOK ® Guide - Sixth Edition.

Root cause analysis shows up as a Tools &Techniques under both Manage Quality and Control Quality. How am I supposed to tell the difference

34. Support Simplilearn(4685)

Staff Member Alumni

@tim jerome

Kindly help us with this query

35. tim jerome

Trainer

What's the difference between Quality Assurance and and Quality Control?

• Quality Assurance - we "audit the process"
    • Quality Control - we "inspect the deliverable and data"
    The details reference testing, which is inspection (quality control). If the question had read "... problem that was discovered during validation of adherence to process..." that would have been a Quality Assurance discussion.

36. Gae

Gae Active Member

Thank you Tim. That explains it nicely. I now know what I am in for on the exam

37. Gae

Gae Active Member

Hi Tim
    Could please help with this question. I have gone through the class recordings and you stated the you do not add the Management Reserve to the cost baseline unless you are given permission to do so. If that is correct then the answer to this question below is incorrect.

61. Being a Project Manager, your project sponsor has asked you to come up with the total funding requirements of the project. What will be the total funding requirements for your project?
    a) The total of the approved budget by time period
    b) The total of project budget plus anticipated liabilities
    c) The total funds including the cost baseline plus any management reserves
    d) The total of individual cost estimates
    Answer: (c) The total funds include cost baseline plus management reserves if any. The total funds required for the project are those included in cost baseline plus management reserves. Cost baseline includes contingency reserves for the risk remaining after risk response planning. A management reserve is an extra amount of funds to be set aside to cover unforeseen risks or changes in the project, and total fund requirement for the project would include management reserves. Option (a) and option (b) describe cost baseline and option (d) is the definition for cost budgeting.

38. AKBAR SABIR KALANCHIRA

I think the answer will be corrective action. You have identified the issues and you are making changes to avoid the occurrence is called corrective action.
    Correct it, if I am wrong...

39. AKBAR SABIR KALANCHIRA

Simulation #2 _Question # 30
    Looking for the explanation.
    The question says the process is in "develop a schedule " and not mentioned anywhere that the process has been completed. My answer choice was B( Tool & Technic). But the explanation showing that the develop process has been completed. Expecting expert judgment.

A project manager is in the process of analyzing activity sequences, durations, resource requirements, and schedule constraints to create an approved project schedule. What should the project manager do NEXT?

SELECT THE CORRECT ANSWER

A) Determine resource requirement for each activity in the project
    B) Use techniques like the Critical Path method and What-if Analysis to calculate the optimum duration of the project
    C) Use the approved schedule duration as a baseline and start tracking the project
    D) Create a network diagram of the project using one of the diagramming methods
    Correct Option:C

EXPLANATION

The project manager is in the "develop schedule" process and has already derived an approved project schedule . This implies option (a), (b), and (d) are already completed as part of the processes estimate activity resources, develop schedule, and sequence activities. The next step would be to treat this estimate as a schedule baseline and start tracking the project as part of the control schedule process.

40. AKBAR SABIR KALANCHIRA

Simulation#2_Question#60

You are a project manager currently finding all of the risks on a project. As a part of this activity, you would like to know the risk attitude and organization policies and procedures for risk management. Which of the following should you refer for this purpose?

A) Enterprise environmental factors
    B) Stakeholder register
    C) Risk management plan
    D) Project documents
    Correct Option:A

EXPLANATION

The project manager is in the identify risks process. Enterprise and environmental factors can greatly influence the process. It will determine the organization's attitude towards risks, as well as policies and procedures for risk management. Option (b) Stakeholder register contains information on the stakeholders which would be helpful to get their inputs on risk identification. Option (c) and (d) are specific to the project and would not have required information on organization policies and procedures. Please refer to Project Risk Management, page 395, PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition for more details.

I think the Organisation policies and procedures are part of OPA.

In explanation, it is mentioned in EEf. Looking for further clarification.

41. AKBAR SABIR KALANCHIRA

Simulation#2_ Q162

A project's deliverables were accepted by the customer and the contract was closed with all payments successfully completed. The team was released in a hurry as they were to be reassigned to another high-priority project before they could discuss and document the lessons learned. What action should the project manager perform now?

A) Mark the project as closed—as all sign-offs received
    B) Document as many lessons learned as the PM can remember, and close the project
    C) Request for a 1-hour closure meeting to create the lessons learned document
    D) Escalate the matter to the PMO and request for directions
    Correct Option:C

EXPLANATION

The creation of cogent lessons learned documentation is an important part of the closure process, and it should not be bypassed. The project manager should make a reasonable request to the team members to accomplish this in letter and spirit.

Option C is to request for 1-hour meeting, how can make the meeting request since the team was released.

Looking for further clarification.

42. AKBAR SABIR KALANCHIRA

Simulation#2_Question-170_Looking for the Explanation

If the project is terminating before making any deliverables, what will be the answer.
    Unless and until sates that the project produced the deliverables, how the option A will be the correct answer: Looking for the explanation.

Which of the following must happen before a project is closed?

A) The customer must accept the project's product
    B) Lessons learned must be documented
    C) The project team must have a new project
    D) Project Charter
    Correct Option:A

EXPLANATION

Although lessons learned must be documented, the minimum expectation is that the customer accepts the product.

43. Shilpi Singh

Shilpi Singh Member

Hi Tim - Confused with the answer to the below question if you can help. I thought answer would be option d but it came as option b . [ Source CertBOLT)

Q - Which Process involves aggregating the estimated costs of the individual schedule activities or work packages
    a) Estimate costs
    b) Estimate Activity Resources
    c) Control costs
    d) Determine budget

44. gautam_kaistha

gautam_kaistha Well-Known Member

yes you dont add management reserves to the cost baseline. But here we are talking about project budget which is different from cost baseline. Cost baseline is used for monitoring your cost performance and project budget is used for funding requirements. Cost baseline + management reserves make project budget. So the answer is C.

45. gautam_kaistha

In these questions always assume that you are in a Matrix organization. So the resources are released and they need to be recalled for one hour for compiling the lessons learnt which is an element for project closing. Option A can be ruled out as all components of closure have not been addressed. Option B can be ruled out as PM alone cant compile lessons learnt and escalation to PMO is generally done for more serious issues. So i think that leaves us with one valid answer. Hope i am able to clarify. Better explanation from the SMEs will help further.

46. gautam_kaistha

The question is what all comprises of project closure activities. So one A and B are the possible answers. Out of the two, acceptance of deliverable is the most logical answer. Only if the deliverables are accepted, we can move towards closure of the project and compile Lesson learnt. there is nothing in the question to suggest that the project is being terminated, so I will still go with A. Rest SMEs can explain better.

47. Gae

Gae Active Member

Can someone please explain why the answer d is correct. I can't find anything in the PMBOK to used the Procurement Management Plan to develop the team, it is only listed in the Resource MP

74. To acquire and manage the project team, which of the following plans or documents should be referred?
    a) Resource management plan
    b) Procurement management plan
    c) Project charter
    d) Resource management plan and procurement management plan
    Answer: (d) As per the new examination content outline, not only the procurement management plan, but resource management plan should also be considered.

48. gautam_kaistha

Option D. This is because while you are acquiring team, you may realize that there are certain resources which are not available within the organization and need to be hired/acquired. This hiring/acquisition will be done in accordance with the procurement management plan. Hence you need to refer both resource and procurement management plan for acquiring team.

49. Gae

Gae Active Member

I was upgraded to the 2018 version yesterday. I still have slides from 2017. What are the changes?

50. Gae

Gae Active Member

I thought that was just for items or services; not people.
    Thanks though