Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

PMP Preparation, Feb 1 - Feb 16 (Tim)

hi Tim

You’re managing a project to build a new project management information system. You work with the team to come up with an estimate of 27 weeks. In the best case, this could be shortened by two weeks because you can reuse a previous component. But there’s a risk that a vendor delay could cause the project to be delayed by five weeks. Use PERT to calculate a three-point estimate for this project.
0/1

for this i see 2 formulas how can we decide which one can be used

PERT Triangular Distribution EAD = + + P /3

PERT Beta Distribution EAD = + 4 + P /6

Hi All, I am yet to receive the access key for the new PMP Student Guide. Can anyone let me know how to get the access key or access to the PMP 2021 Exam Student Guide?

Hi Tim,

I have been working on practice exams but have some confusion with some questions that I got wrong. Hoping you can help me understand why they are wrong.

1. "A project manager joins a project as a replacement on a project team. During initial meetings, the project manager realized there are many differing opinions about how to address technical decisions. Team members did not respect each other's ideas, and the environment was becoming counterproductive. However, now the team has begun to communicate more effectively and develop some processes and procedures for working together. In what phase of development is the team now?"
A. Storming
B. Forming (correct answer)
C. Norming
D. Performing
- I am struggling to understand why this is forming. According to the PMBOK, forming is when a team first comes together and introduces their roles. This questions outlines that that the team is already established and has worked through conflict to begin to create processes and procedures. To me, this sounds like Storming.

2. "A previously identified technical issue has been resolved and the project is moving forward. The project manager has been warned that the same issue will probably arise on similar projects in the future. What should be done first when responding to this warning?"
A. Ensure the issue log is updated (Correct answer)
B. Create a risk report and keep the report current
C. Notify the project sponsor about the warning
D. Ensure that the lessons learned register is updated
- The reason I struggle with this answer is that the first sentence clearly states that the issue had already been identified and resolved. The issue log is meant to track issues through resolution. The next key statement to me was that this could effect "projects in the future". This indicated to me that the lessons learned register will need to be updated to reference for any of the future projects that may run into this issue.

3. During a conversation with a friend, a project manager hears that a possible union action will occur within the next two weeks. The project manager knows that at this stage of the project, any project delays could cause substantial harm to both budget and schedule, and any union action will affect the project team. Earlier, the probability of a union action was considered minimal. Thus, it was unanticipated. How should the project manager respond to this issue?
A. Notify relevant stakeholders and add the new risks to the risk register. (correct answer)
B. Get more information through informal discussions, and use what is found to decide on next steps.
C. Plan to reward those who do not participate and identify possible disciplinary actions for those who do participate.
D. Schedule a meeting with the union's leader in order to resolve any outstanding conflicts.
- Although I agree that A is the correct thing to do, I don't think that it is the first thing that should be done by the PM. Given that this information was discovered by a conversation with a friend, this indicates to me that it needs further vetting before raising an alarm. Especially with the fact that this was determined to be minimal. As the PM I would think they would research and validate the information was true and then take appropriate steps to notify stakeholders.

_44915

This is the PMP Preparation Class thread (ATP) for Tim's weekday session, starting Feb 1. Please feel free to participate.
Hi Tim

Please can you let me know when your next batch will be starting? I have been part of your batch before PMP course change hence would like to join the PMP® 2021 transition program

tim jerome

Trainer
I don't have my next months' schedule yet. I do know I have a batch starting Aug 16 - a 2-hour daily class for 2 1/2 weeks. It starts 21:00 IST.

gautam_kaistha

Hi Tim,

I have been working on practice exams but have some confusion with some questions that I got wrong. Hoping you can help me understand why they are wrong.

1. "A project manager joins a project as a replacement on a project team. During initial meetings, the project manager realized there are many differing opinions about how to address technical decisions. Team members did not respect each other's ideas, and the environment was becoming counterproductive. However, now the team has begun to communicate more effectively and develop some processes and procedures for working together. In what phase of development is the team now?"
A. Storming
B. Forming (correct answer)
C. Norming
D. Performing
- I am struggling to understand why this is forming. According to the PMBOK, forming is when a team first comes together and introduces their roles. This questions outlines that that the team is already established and has worked through conflict to begin to create processes and procedures. To me, this sounds like Storming.

2. "A previously identified technical issue has been resolved and the project is moving forward. The project manager has been warned that the same issue will probably arise on similar projects in the future. What should be done first when responding to this warning?"
A. Ensure the issue log is updated (Correct answer)
B. Create a risk report and keep the report current
C. Notify the project sponsor about the warning
D. Ensure that the lessons learned register is updated
- The reason I struggle with this answer is that the first sentence clearly states that the issue had already been identified and resolved. The issue log is meant to track issues through resolution. The next key statement to me was that this could effect "projects in the future". This indicated to me that the lessons learned register will need to be updated to reference for any of the future projects that may run into this issue.

3. During a conversation with a friend, a project manager hears that a possible union action will occur within the next two weeks. The project manager knows that at this stage of the project, any project delays could cause substantial harm to both budget and schedule, and any union action will affect the project team. Earlier, the probability of a union action was considered minimal. Thus, it was unanticipated. How should the project manager respond to this issue?
A. Notify relevant stakeholders and add the new risks to the risk register. (correct answer)
B. Get more information through informal discussions, and use what is found to decide on next steps.
C. Plan to reward those who do not participate and identify possible disciplinary actions for those who do participate.
D. Schedule a meeting with the union's leader in order to resolve any outstanding conflicts.
- Although I agree that A is the correct thing to do, I don't think that it is the first thing that should be done by the PM. Given that this information was discovered by a conversation with a friend, this indicates to me that it needs further vetting before raising an alarm. Especially with the fact that this was determined to be minimal. As the PM I would think they would research and validate the information was true and then take appropriate steps to notify stakeholders.
Q1.
A project manager joins a project as a replacement : Team goes back to forming stage
Team members did not respect each other's ideas, and the environment was becoming counterproductive : Storming stage.
However, now the team has begun to communicate more effectively and develop some processes and procedures for working together. Norming stage

However, the emphasis it that the PM has joined and seems that he hasn't started working/contributing. He is watching things happening. Though the team is in Norming stage but with the PM being new, its still in forming. I hope that explains the ques.

Q2.
"The project manager has been warned that the same issue will probably arise on similar projects in the future". Though not certain but "PROBABLY" arise. This is his concern and repetition is the issue. Since its an issue, firstly I will record it in my issue log and watch it. As said, lessons learnt register would be updated once the issue repeats and measures taken to address/avoid it.

Q3.
As described in the ques, this was a low prob threat, but has major impact in the present scenario. As per PMI ethics, I will be transparent. I have learnt the information which can put my project at a risk. First thing is to inform stakeholders, access the situation and work out strategies to address the risk. Your apprehension that it needs further vetting is correct but thats not the first thing I will do. Its impacting my project and doing " substantial harm to both budget and schedule" i.e effecting my baselines. Hence, stakeholders have thr right too know and as a PM I am duty bound to do so.

Thats my view on these ques, rest Tim and other experts can explain better.