PMP Test 2- Ques 87

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Parul Gawade, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Parul Gawade

Parul Gawade Member

Ques: As a project manager in a matrix project environment, you have limited control over team member selection. Which tools and techniques would NOT be helpful for the selection?

a) Acquisition
    b) Virtual Teams
    c) Interpersonal skills
    d) None of the above

Correct Option:C

EXPLANATION

Interpersonal skills cannot be used in a matrix project environment, where the project manager has limited control over team member selection.

Query:
    "Negotiation" is part of Interpersonal skills, and a TT for Acquire Resources. Negotiation can be done with Functional Managers, even if PM has less authority.
    So how correct option can be c)?

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

First of all, I don't see 'none of the above' as a viable optoin - ever. It's not in the nature of the exam to do nothing.

If I had to choose between A,B, and C, I'd have to choose C. It's true - we may not have authority to negotiate. However, when we don't have authority to do so, we escalate to the proper decision-maker.

Good debate topic - anyone else have further input?

3. Madhusudan Kannan

Madhusudan Kannan Active Member

I would go with Option B here.
    Option A and Option C are a technique of team creation. Option B - virtual team - is an output and not a tool and technique. I mean you 'decide' upon going with a virtual team set-up but you 'use' Acquisition and Interpersonal Skills to set up a team.

Please let me know if this is a valid line of thinking here Tim. I had got this question wrong in the sample test.

-Madhusudan

4. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Virtual teams may not be techniques, but they can be tools - which can also turn inputs to outputs.

I think the intent of the question states that virtual teams and acquisition will occur regardless of authority of the PM, where leadership is contingent on authority.

I agree that you can have authority regardless of formal authority, but the two former are more shaped by EEF and OPA.