Practice Test 1

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Tina_20, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Tina_20

Tina_20 Member

I just did the 1st practice test and noticed a couple of things:
    • questions are unanswered/skipped in the result even though I did not skip any
    • some questions plainly do NOT make sense
    Question 12
    In a meeting, the Sponsor has discussed three projects with you: Project A with Net Present Value of $55,000 and a payback period of 5 years; Project B with Net Present Value of $95,000; and Project C with payback period of 10 years. He provides you with more information about the projects and intends to assign you as the Project Manager for the selected project. As a Project Manager, you are NOT expected to:
    1. Conduct project selection methods to select one of the three projects discussed with you by the sponsor to evaluate feasibility of new products and services
    2. Proceed to select the project with higher NPV
    3. Engage in deceitful practices
    4. Participate in the project selection method
    For me it seems the answers are for a different question?!

Questions 17
    You have been assigned to a large construction project, and you are in the
    1. Document the project limitation as a project constraint
    2. Discuss the project constraint with the project sponsor and the customer
    3. Document the project limitation as a project constraint and propose an implementation approach to the sponsor and customer, if required
    4. Ignore the project constraint and work toward getting approval for the project charter
    Where is the actual problem? I can't answer questions if there is no acutal scenario stated.

Question 79
    You are a Project Manager of a software project that has finished the design stage and is moving to the implementation stage. At the end of the design phase, you got the document reviewed and you tracked and closed the defect logs. Also, as part of the design stage review and kick-off for the implementation phase, you checked current SPI and CPI and revisited the risks. What did you forget to do?
    1. Talk to the project sponsor since they are senior members of the project
    2. Give them a final warning and make it clear that such behavior is not encouraged
    3. Talk face-to-face with each of them individually to sort out their differences
    4. Use an Autocratic approach and make a decision that is best for the project
    Problem and answers do not fit, I say.

Question 134
    Your project has current CPI of 1.2 and SPI of 0.86. What does the figure indicate about the project performance?
    1. The project has cost underrun and is delayed
    2. The project has cost overrun and is delayed
    3. The project has cost underrun and is ahead of schedule
    4. The project has cost overrun and is ahead of schedule
    EXPLANATION

The Project Manager is responsible for the project's success. This project is approaching a critical deadline, and these two members have always been a problem. Telling your sponsor about this issue is definitely not an option as a Project Manager should be able to handle conflicts within the team. Option (b) and (c) may not work as the Project Manager has tried earlier to resolve their differences amicably. The only option is to make a decision that is in the best interest of the project, including expulsion of one resource if required.

Don't get me wrong, I know the answer but the explanation is

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Hi, Tina - let me give you thoughtful responses to each question, and a general response to your doubt. The exam and questions (the real one and practice) need consideration in order to develop a thoughtful, managed approach, especially in regards to time management and maximizing your potential for passing the first time.

I'm having trouble uploading my entire list, so I'm breaking this into multiple responses.

I understand your confusion. We continue to look at situations where our applications break their internal connections and insert that confusion. As you bring these to us, it gives us an opportunity to improve, as well as use this discussion to further prepare for the exam. Stay in touch, and we'll use this as an opportunity for growth for all -

Thanks & Regards,

p.s. I enjoyed your signature line...

3. tim jerome

Trainer

The rest of the answer...

Q 12:
    2 is not correct, due to the fact that you select on more than one criterion. 3 is obviously thrown out. The Exam Content Outline states specifically the PM's role in project selection, and by reviewing the initiating tasks there, you see you can throw out 4. By elimination, you can select 1.

Q 17: There is definitely a concatenation with the question. This needs to be raised.
    If I had to answer, I like 3, best - it shows I understand that I need to support the concept of "analyze first, then communicate, then act."

4. tim jerome

Trainer

Q 79: It seems the ambiguity that is here is that there is not a discrete statement that says, "there is an issue here." The description would work, whether or not you found problems, so why do all the questions reference conflict management and resolution of issues? Look at the question to consider if there is a definite message that says you need to do so.

I'm not saying there's not a problem with the question, but consider this once again - on the exam, you may easily lose focus and be in this situation. You have an opportunity to look at the answers themselves, and through logic eliminate the ones that are the most evidently wrong. This is 'process of elimination', and can often lead you to the right answer. Let's apply here -

1 is not a good answer. You escalate to the Sponsor when the project is at risk to loss of resources. Otherwise, you provide them your solution, and they provide their guidance.

2 does not help the project. YOu should eliminate the answer that doesn't make things better or keep from getting wors.

3 may or may not be appropriate, let's come back to that.

4 is only appropriate under very specific circumstances - safety and legality to mention 2. If something like that (an EEF) is not evident, then you analyze, communicate, and then act.

We review 3 against the question, and although it doesn't resonate totally, I'd have to select it.

Q 134: I think we are observing a disconnect between question and answer here. EVM questions will be either math or interpretation or situational (or combination), and are fairly crisp The only time they get complex is when you are asked, "do you mean under budget, over budget, or 'within' budget? The terms that are standardized is over/under/on budget, and behind/ahead/on schedule. These types of questions may not be fair, but are within bounds of the exam.

5. _28827

_28827 New Member

You are a Project Manager of a software project that has finished the design stage and is moving to the implementation stage. At the end of the design phase, you got the document reviewed and you tracked and closed the defect logs. Also, as part of the design stage review and kick-off for the implementation phase, you checked current SPI and CPI and revisited the risks. What did you forget to do?
    Identify new risks for the next stage and update risk register
    Take corrective and preventive actions from design review so that defects can be minimized
    Conduct an impact analysis of the defects found during the design review
    Communicate project stage review findings to all the stakeholders

6. tim jerome

Trainer

This is a difficult problem. I would probably select D. One item that is not represented here is the survey with stakeholders; all the other tasks that a PM performs in closing group are generally represented.