Question on communication

Discussion in 'PMP' started by _45178, Jan 15, 2020.

1. _45178

_45178 Active Member

You are managing a large IT project when a severe cost overrun causes a major concern to the key stakeholders and sponsor. You schedule an urgent meeting to discuss the root cause of the concern and illustrate the corrective and preventive actions you are planning to take. You are also planning to inform the audience in the meeting that the project is ahead of schedule and that most of the major deliverables are already completed and accepted by the stakeholders. What kind of communication does this meeting represent?

SELECT THE CORRECT ANSWER

A. Informal verbal
    B. Formal written
    C. Informal written
    D. Formal verbal

The correct answer is option A but since in the question it is mentioned as meeting then shouldn't it be option D.

Please give example of informal verbal, formal verbal, informal written and formal written.

2. Madhusudan Kannan

Madhusudan Kannan Active Member

Hi,
    At the outset, it does appear as a formal verbal communication (option D). However, if you refer to the communication grid mentioned in Slide 4 of Communications Management ppt, you will realize that the correct answer is indeed, Option A - Informal Verbal. The question does not mention any presentations being given to the stakeholders / sponsors - which would have made it formal.

Please let me know if you think otherwise.

-Madhusudan

3. _45178

_45178 Active Member

Hi Madhusudan,

Thanks for replying. I am able to relate it now. But does this mean that presentation is the only thing considered as formal verbal?

4. Madhusudan Kannan

I believe that presentations are the only means of formal verbal communication available to us. A ppt has slides which has facts listed out in it and we can be held accountable for that which makes it a formal document.

5. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

formal means effort is applied to ensure clarification, where written ensures evidence and formal change control of documents. For examples of making communications formal, review "5 Cs" over on page 362-3.

The communication is oral (verbal), and not written.

In university texts, a lot of detail and effort is applied to ensure that formal/informal is one vector (dimension), and written/oral (verbal) is another. "Merely by writing information down, we are not necessarily applying formality."

6. Parul Gawade

Parul Gawade Member

@ Tim,

Can you clarify if in such case, all meetings are informal verbal including - kick off meetings, Risk review meetings etc ?
    As I understand, adhoc meetings or internal team meetings are informal, but client meetings with defined agenda are formal.

7. _51292

_51292 Active Member

I think in this question using the word "Urgent" make it informal, it sort of unplanned meeting, with less preparation

8. Madhusudan Kannan

I believe that once we have a document which can version controlled and can be considered as an artifact which can be presented during an audit, we are talking about formal. Any other means of communication can be considered as informal.

@tim jerome please let us know if this is the correct understanding.

-Madhusudan

9. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Here's some definitions to help you -

Formal: "Being in accordance with the usual requirements, customs, etc."

Very close to official, but not quite. Official is more "appointed or authorized to act in a designated capacity." Think of official as aligning with an office or the public, and formal is in accordance with established forms.

So, in order to make something formal, we must align with requirements and customs, i.e. ensure clarity even if we are crossing cultural, national, language boundaries.

Compare this to my earlier insert, and you''ll start to understand where I'm coming from. Remember - official is authorized, formal is structured to align with requirements / customs...