Scheduled meetings query - To Tim Jerome

Discussion in 'PMP' started by _56468, May 25, 2019.

1. _56468

_56468 Well-Known Member

In the question below, the meeting is a scheduled one, so isn't it supposed to be formal verbal? The correct answer is A)Informal verbal, but that goes with unscheduled meetings, isn't it? Please guide.

You are managing a large IT project when a severe cost overrun causes a major concern to the key stakeholders and sponsor. You schedule an urgent meeting to discuss the root cause of the concern and illustrate the corrective and preventive actions you are planning to take. You are also planning to inform the audience in the meeting that the project is ahead of schedule and that most of the major deliverables are already completed and accepted by the stakeholders. What kind of communication does this meeting represent?

SELECT THE CORRECT ANSWER

Informal verbal
    Formal written
    Informal written
    Formal verbal
    Correct Option:A

EXPLANATION

The subject matter and topics discussed in the meeting may be important, but meetings are considered informal verbal.

Archana Sathaiahgari likes this.
  2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

If I'm in a meeting and it's with my team, and we have been working together for months or years, I could consider that meeting as informal verbal (or oral, as per the 6th edition PMBOK). If the meeting is across national, cultural boundaries, I'm going to formailze the meeting, and probably follow up with written documentation.

If I am in the cafeteria with a stakeholder, in an ad hoc meeting, that will be oral, informal as well.

Let me review more source material (my research list), and see if I can find a source for the absolute statement. I've become very leery of such absolutes in any PM material.

3. Arvind Shekhar

Arvind Shekhar Well-Known Member

I agree with Tim, explanation given is without mention of source and describes meeting as informal verbal in absolute statement .
    It seems not to be correct in all situation across the board. i am putting my views
    Meeting may be formal or informal.( PMBOK section 4.5.2.3.) further formal meeting include both regular and ad hoc meetings. (PMBOK6 p 361).
    i think that , what kind of information is transacted in meeting , to whom we transmit information and how, should be deciding factor whether it is formal or informal .
    In this scenario it is urgent meeting to discuss severe cost overrun , root cause of concern and illustrate CA& PA PM intend to take . will it be a presentation to seek approval from key stakeholder and sponsor for such action than it is formal delivery of information. further PM planning to inform about status than also again information is formal. will PM record / document and issue minutes of such an important meeting than again it is formal.
    I further searched answer in some popular books for PMP exam preparation and one of them mention planned meeting and stakeholders briefings as - Formal verbal communication.
    further Input form learner and trainer are solicited

Arvind.

Archana Sathaiahgari and _56468 like this.
  4. _56468

_56468 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback on the question Tim. The more I look into the question, I feel the word "urgent" plays the role, since it was an urgent meeting and not a planned one, maybe that could be the reason it is an informal verbal one.

5. Archana Behera

Rita 9th Edition - Page 420,
    Formal Verbal = Planned meeting and stakeholder Briefing.
    And the question mentions that "You are also planning to inform the audience in the meeting that the project is ahead of schedule and that most of the major deliverables are already completed and accepted by the stakeholders. "

So, the Ans should be Formal Verbal.

6. tim jerome

Trainer

These are very tricky. Let's understand:

Written communication exists to create evidence and control change of information.
    Formal Communication exists to ensure everyone understands.

You have spectrums of both these characteristics.
    Merely writing communication down doesn't formalize it (ensure clarity).

The scenario states:
    • You are managing a major negative project impact concern
    • You are minimizing negative perception impact
    • You are maximizing positive perception impact
    Rita also says, "beware of absolutes". There are no statements of the strength of the relationship, and I am working with key stakeholders and sponsor. I'm not trying to prove a point, but demonstrating how one could quickly make a best guess on the exam. The answers are unambiguous, and the scenario has ambiguities. These are really tricky.

7. Arvind Shekhar

Arvind Shekhar Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim,
    Making the best guess makes all the difference in exam between on target and above target. i have seen it.
    I sincerely appreciate you contribution to making this forum what it is, A Thought provoking open discussion platform for learners.

Arvind

8. tim jerome

Trainer

Thanks, Arvind - and a comment to all readers - I have just as high a probability of getting these questions wrong as you do. Please speak up and have your say; you can't get any points taken off (this is a forum), and by contributing, we all learn together.

Arvind Shekhar likes this.
  9. Archana Sathaiahgari

Archana Sathaiahgari Active Member

Whats the answer here ?Please confirm

10. tim jerome

Trainer

The question is documented as informal verbal, and the evidence (scenario) supports formal verbal. Consensus on this thread is formal verbal, unless someone can justify there is no need for extra clarity for this meeting.