Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

Studying about Project Management - Exam Preparation

Ankit Gupta_44

Hello everyone,
I hope you all are doing well!

Please help me in understanding that, how should I go about reading and understanding PMBOK because its very lengthy and Rita Mulachy is also available as a mandate option along with that.
Although I am not in a hurry or being impatient but developing and maintaining a concentration for PMBOK is becoming really difficult. Moreover it is also giving me a feeling that every line is important and as a result I am not able to figure out that which part of the chapter require detailed reading.
I would be grateful for kind help.

Thank you.
Ankit Gupta

tim jerome

Trainer
I'll also answer here for general sharing -

The PMBOK (both 6th and 7th ed.) are intended as a reference.

Less than 50% of people I've received information on after passing the test successfully read the book from cover to cover. 100% used it as a reference.

When you get a practice question wrong, look up the details. When you can't describe a definition to yourself precisely, look it up. When you are struggling with concepts, look it up.

It doesn't mean reading the PMBOK totally through is a bad idea - it's great. You'll always pick up great details. Just don't feel bad if you can't. I didn't read it, even though mine was about 20-30% the size of the current PMBOK. Reading it through seems to give one a little confidence; again - if you're not of a mind to be able to read it through, worry not.

A reminder - good practice is to keep a journal (written by hand preferably). Make notes of progress and status, make notes of definitions, concepts and obstacles you need to overcome. The process of converting thought to paper-based symbols assists a lot in the journey from recognition to comprehension.

Regards,

Ankit Gupta_44

I'll also answer here for general sharing -

The PMBOK (both 6th and 7th ed.) are intended as a reference.

Less than 50% of people I've received information on after passing the test successfully read the book from cover to cover. 100% used it as a reference.

When you get a practice question wrong, look up the details. When you can't describe a definition to yourself precisely, look it up. When you are struggling with concepts, look it up.

It doesn't mean reading the PMBOK totally through is a bad idea - it's great. You'll always pick up great details. Just don't feel bad if you can't. I didn't read it, even though mine was about 20-30% the size of the current PMBOK. Reading it through seems to give one a little confidence; again - if you're not of a mind to be able to read it through, worry not.

A reminder - good practice is to keep a journal (written by hand preferably). Make notes of progress and status, make notes of definitions, concepts and obstacles you need to overcome. The process of converting thought to paper-based symbols assists a lot in the journey from recognition to comprehension.

Regards,
Very Elaborative, Tim. Thank you for grateful insight.