Tableau Desktop 10 Qualified Associate | Jul 25 - Aug 16

Discussion in 'Big Data and Analytics' started by Shohini_1, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Shohini_1

Shohini_1 Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support

2. MANGESH PHATALE

Hello Deepaak,

Thank you for a detailed session. I really appreciate your patience !!

Couple of queries:
    1. Can we use Custom Arithmetic calculations in ToolTip? Example : I need to show Profit % Ratio
    2. I could not get the custom Tooltip creation for Proft AND Sales.
    I configured as 'The Sagment <Segment> has Sales <Sales> & Profit <Profit>' but in run mode it did not showed values for PROFIT and SALES. What am I missing?
    3. When we saveAs Tableau file on cloud ,by default it shows current sheet. How to see the full workbook (all sheets) from public cloud in web browser?

Thanks again!

Mangesh Phatale

3. Satyajit Datta

Satyajit Datta Active Member
    Simplilearn Support

Hello Deepak,
    Can you please help with below issue?
    This is regarding the line chart of sales vs dates that we discussed.
    Even when selecting the Year and Month as Values, I am getting only the year in the x-axis. The Month is not shown.
    What am I missing?
    Please refer to attached screen-shot. Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 2.57.50 PM.png

4. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

Hello Mangesh, thanks for these questions. I have the same questions as well. Request Deepak to please help.

Regards,
    Satyajit

5. touchstone.in

touchstone.in Active Member

Hello Mangesh,

Thanks for your appreciation. It means a lot.

Hope you find the Session interesting and it added value to you.

Following are my comments to your questions -

1) Very good question - Yes you can create Calculations and use it in Tool Tips. But for this you will have to be conversant with the concept of creating Calculations. Once we do it in the coming sessions, I will show it how we can create dynamic tool tips with calculations.

2) Again once we do the concept of Measure Names and Measure Values tomorrow, we will again review how to create Tool tips with multiple Measures and also with Measure Names and Measure Values.

3) When you save the file in Tableau Public cloud, to view all the sheets - go to My profile at the top right hand corner. It will straight away take you to the holding area for Tableau worksheets.

Hope I am able to answer your queries.

Best
    Deepaak

6. touchstone.in

Hello Satya - The chart you have created is correct as it has 48 Marks (12 Marks each for all the 4 years). So you are not missing anything in terms of concept. This is just a formatting issue with respect to Axis.
    Ideally Tableau should have shown you the Month with Year on the Axis but nevertheless, you can always get it using the following Steps -

1) Right click on the X-Axis (with Date)
    2) Click on the Format option
    3) On the Data Pane on the left - Format MONTH(Order Date) pane opens
    4) Go to Axis pane in that
    5) Then goto Scale and then click on Dates
    6) You will get all types of format you want
    7) You can select the desired Date format for your Axis

In case you are still not able to do it. Do let me know. I will help you out again.

Best
    Deepaak

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Satyajit Datta likes this.
  7. Radhika Jonnalagadda

Hi Deepak,
    what is the difference between discrete and continuous representation of dates.. pls explain

8. MANGESH PHATALE

Hello Deepak,

May I request your time to resolve below queries on my file?
    File Link - https://public.tableau.com/views/Tb...ay_count=y&publish=yes&:origin=viz_share_link

Queries:
    1. In sheet TimeSeries, How to edit the tool-tip to reflect the <Sales> and <Profit> values against each segment?
    2. In sheet FilterByDiamension, I could add a custom value but the same is not reflecting on list.
    Can you help me understand if I am missing any steps?
    FYI - Screen shots as below,
    upload_2020-7-26_13-22-18.png

upload_2020-7-26_13-23-31.png

Thanks,
    Mangesh upload_2020-7-26_13-23-31.png

9. touchstone.in

Hello Radhika,

Dates can Discrete representation or Continuous representation depending on the case you want to use it in.
    For eg -

Discrete (Also called Date Part)
    Comparing the Monthly or Yearly Sales performance of 2020 with some previous Month or Year is a situation where in you will need the Date to be presented in Discrete format as there is no continuity in the time period of comparison. This is a classic case of Stock concept (measuring the variable in a stipulated period of time) where the variable (Sales) is compared over the period of two time compartment periods.
    Discrete Date is represented in Blue color (just like dimensions) in Tableau. The date in Discrete format is also called - Date Part in Tableau.

Continuous (Also called Date Value)
    Measuring the trend of Sales over the period of last 12 months or Year is a situation where you are measure the variable of interest over the period of time which is continuous. Hence here the Date is represented in the continuous form. It is a case of Flow concept where you measure the variable in continuity over the period.
    Continuous Date is represented in Green color (just like Measures) in Tableau. The date in Continuous format is also called Date Value in Tableau.

Hope this clarifies the concept of Date Part and Date Value in Tableau.

10. touchstone.in

Hello Mangesh.

Answer to your first Question -
    The <Segment> Sgement has a <Measure Names> of $<Measure Values>.

Put this in tooltip and you will get the correct Tooltip. Note that Since there are Multiple Measure names in this you cannot have both Sales and Profit in the same Tool tip together. As you hover over Profit you will have tooltip showing Profit. As you hover over Sales, you will have Tooltip showing Sales.

With respect to your second question - The name you are trying to add is a new name and not the name from the existing list of customers and hence Tableau is not able to recognize a new name. You can manually add (type in) the name which is from the list of existing Customers. You cannot add an new name which does not exist in the list using the custom value.

Hope I am able to answer your questions.

Best
    Deepaak

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  11. Shishir Dwarkanath

Hi,

The self learning videos make use of a World Indicators dataset. This is not included in the resources. So could you please share the file with all of us.

Thanks
    Shishir

12. touchstone.in

13. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

Why am I seeing two sets of tables for the imported data?
    Not sure if I missed anything that was discussed. Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 9.44.49 AM.png

14. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

My join menu is bit strange. I do not see the set diagrams for different types of joins.
    Is this a version issue? I am using 2020.2.1. Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 9.54.04 AM.png

15. Oluwakemi Adebowale-A

Hi Deepaak, thank you for the wonderful session today, Please I am still unable to have audio on my downloaded recordings, I tried playing all the recordings from beginning to the end but still no Audio.

16. MANGESH PHATALE

Hello Deepaak,

Thanks again for a great session ! Some queries as listed below,

1. I understand that we can add multiple Reference Lines. Is it possible to add a Reference Line for two Measures, my be using some calculations or calculated field?

2. During BoxPlot, you mentioned about the un-cheking the option from Analysis Menu on AVG aggregation. The ROW still shows AVG selected when I double click the ROW Measure? See screen shots below.
    upload_2020-8-2_14-11-59.png

upload_2020-8-2_14-12-12.png

upload_2020-8-2_14-12-32.png

3. In BarInABarChart - on Edit Sizes[Measure Names], The left dragging changes First MN and Right drag changes second MN.
    Is this observation correct?
    Is that the default way of changing the widths?
    See screenshot below.

upload_2020-8-2_14-13-20.png

4. I observed that - Whenever we have to navigate to DataSource, the connection with the Source file needs to be RE-established.
    a. What happens if the source file is ReadOnly when we want to Re-Browse?
    b. Lets assume, Some sheets (S1 and S2) are processed based on initial DataSource design.
    Later if the DataSource is modified (which may impact initial processed sheets S1 and S2, may be deleted the joins referred here).
    Will this change in the design be refreshed and showed in the earlier sheets (S1 and S2) ?
    Can we control that trigger / refresh to NOT to alter the initial processed data in sheets S1 and S2 ?

5. I believe, Tableau is only meant for visualization rather than analysis / analytics.

6. In case of Orders and Returns Joins, Why ORDERS is appearing two times ? See screenshot below.
    upload_2020-8-2_14-16-16.png

7. In case of Lollipop chart, we used Dual Axis on PROFIT. Why the synchronization is needed for PROFIT being same Measure Entity used two times ?
    Note : We have to use sync to synchronize the Circle and Bar alignments; but this should have been done by Tableau smartly.
    Also observed that the synchronization happens perfect for some cases but not for couple of cases ?

8. How to configure different values for same Parameter on two separate sheets (instances) ?
    Example 1: Say Sheet S1 and Sheet S2 has used Parameter called P1. Can I configure S1's P1 = 10 and S2's P1 = 20 ?
    Example 2: Say Sheet S3 has Parameter P2 which is used for filtering a random number. Can I use P2 at two different numeric filters (For Sales and Profit) on same sheet (S3) but filtering for different Values (Sales > 1000 and Profit > 500)

Thanking you.

Mangesh Phatale.

17. touchstone.in

Hello Oluwakemi - Can you please get connected with your GTA for this as this is a technical issue which can be solved by the technical team of Simplilearn. It is beyond the purview of my scope.

18. touchstone.in

Please share the link to this worksheet. Let me take a look at it.

19. touchstone.in

Hello Satyajit,

The view you have shared is for Relationship which is the logical layer newly added by Tableau. To Join multiple Tables just double click on the Orders Icon when you have dragged it into the Canvas or use the down arrow to Open the Orders Icon. It will take you from the logical layer to the Physical layer where you can Join tables. For more details just refer to my recordings of yesterday's session. If you need any further help please do reach out to me again. Also I would request you to share the link with me of the worksheet so that I can help you out in a better way.

20. Chang Tszy Yuen

Hi Sir,

My Superstore file saved as XLSX mode and data in the excel sheet also no problem. But When i moved the file into Tableau, the order date & ship date will in "Number (whole)" mode. If I changed it into "Date", the data will shown "NULL". Please help me look into the issue, thanks.

File saved as XLSX mode.JPG

Date in excel file.JPG File in Tableau.JPG File in Tableau after changed to Date.JPG

21. touchstone.in

Hello Chang,

Make sure to save the Order Date and Ship Date in the 'Date' format in the source file (i.e. excel file) and then save it before connecting it to Tableau. It should work.

Best
    Deepaak

22. Chang Tszy Yuen

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reminder and the problem solved after i re-format the date in excel file before connecting to Tableau.
    0.JPG

23. touchstone.in

Hello Mangesh -

My responses to

Ques-1
    A Reference line for multiple Measures does not make sense. Can you create a single Reference line which represents the value of Sales and Profit?? The answer to this question will clarify your doubt.

Ques - 2 - The last used Aggregation is saved in the Tableau (hence showing in the Discount pill option) but when you have unchecked the Aggregate Measures, the Aggregation does will not reflect in the view. Similarly, if you again check the Aggregate Measure, you will not have to choose the Aggregation and Tableau will pick it up from the last Aggregation saved.

Ques - 3

Your observation is correct. The left (smallest) side impacts the inner bar and the right side will impacts the outer bar. To understand the relative sizes of both the bars just take a look at the Profit and Sales key indicating the width on the left side.

Ques - 5

Tableau is not just a Visualization tool but a very good tool to analyse data with Visualizations. It also helps you analyze data using Calculations, Table Calculations, Cross Tabs, Analytics and many other functionalities. Also Tableau has come up with a new Product called Tableau Prep which even helps you prepare the data i.e. it helps you do Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA). Tableau does not do Machine Learning and high level Statistics like RStudio and Python are capable of.

I will be answering the remaining queries in the next 2 days (Aug 08, 2020 8 AM).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020 at 9:23 PM
  24. Kajal Karnatak

Hi Deepak,
    Can you please help me understand difference between heat map and a highlight table

25. Anisha Patel_2

hi sir,

i was practicing Exercises 4.2 and i am confuse with the solution.
    i understood till how to create set but i am confuse in final answer in bottom and top group in the solution.

26. Nitesh Ranjan_1

Hello Deepak,

Project 2 states to make use of the Sample - Sales Target dataset which is not there. Could you please upload to the google drive.

27. Oluwakemi Adebowale-A

28. Oluwakemi Adebowale-A

Thank you Deepaak, I got that sorted.

Another question
    While working on Exercise 3.1, I was unable to do Data extract, here is what I got when I right click the data Source on the data Pane. Is there anything I am doing wrong? There is no "extract data" as an option in the drop down.

upload_2020-8-6_4-35-16.png

29. Nitesh Ranjan_1

hi Sir,

Could you please upload the Saved Sample - Sales Target data set to the drive

30. touchstone.in

Ideally it is the same. Make sure you have selected the Square Mark type to make look like a Heat Map.

In the Show Me pre-set options, we do have the option to build the Heat Map by selecting the option. It has a slightly different structure. But has I said ideally they both are he same.

31. touchstone.in

Hi Anisha,

Let me reply and explain it to you after today's class (08-08-2020 8 PM)

32. touchstone.in

Hi Nitesh - Dataset uploaded. It is also there at the bottom of the Project-2.

33. touchstone.in

Let me help you on this post today's session. Will respond. (08-08-2020 8 PM)

34. Dhawal Oza

Dhawal Oza Member

Hello.
    I am facing problem with tableau public.
    Not able to open or reinstall it
    upload_2020-8-8_9-27-39.png

35. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

Dear Deepak,
    Thank you very much for explaining patiently and clearly.
    Your sessions have been valuable.

Regards,
    Satyajit

36. touchstone.in

Thank You Satyajit. Really appreciate your valuable comments. Also very happy that I have been of value to all of you :)

37. Nitesh Ranjan_1

Hi Deepak,

How can we edit the names of the filters applied? I am able to edit the title but not the filter names(Instead of true /False I want to show above target, below target).
    Also in the year filter, I am selecting to exclude the null values, it just strikes off the Null, instead of not showing it under the filter.

upload_2020-8-8_13-35-28.png

38. Nitesh Ranjan_1

thanks Deepak, I was able to download the dataset

39. touchstone.in

@Abhiramvijay. I have been able to sort the Axis issue for you.

Here is the attached link for the same. Just hold any of the axis. A dotted line appears. Keep holding and drag the axis to make it visible. Eg - if you hold the Axis on the right, then drag it to left and vice versa.
    Response_Vijay_Posted.png

40. touchstone.in

Hi Dhawal,
    Please do as directed. Just uninstall and re-install Tableau Public and you will be able to sort this out.

Best
    Deepaak

41. Chang Tszy Yuen

Hi Sir,

I have raised ticket before but I don't know where I can check the reply info, appreciate if you can help to direct me to check the reply info.

42. touchstone.in

4. Connection with the Source file is there. It is just that, we have to drag the Sheet to the white canvas on the data source view. This is because, the data flows into Tableau only from the sheet(s) which are brought on the white canvas (now called the Data Model Section) after the Source file is connected to Tableau.
    If the Source file is read only even then it should work because, Tableau is not editing the data at the Source level. But we can definitely try and check how does Tableau behaves in such a case.

43. touchstone.in

6. Order appears twice. Correct. Notice that Orders is the name of the Data sheet and since multiple Sheets are connect, Tableau mentions the names of both the data sheets in the Data pane twice. One the name appears in the Dimension Section and other appears in the Measure Section.

7. In the case two Marks different Marks Sync is required. But you are partially right, since these 2 Measures are the same there should be a perfect Sync between them. But while building the view Sync is still needed to align both the Profit fields. After Sync what is needed is alignment of the text to make it look perfect.

8. Yes you can use the same Parameter in different sheets.

44. MANGESH PHATALE

Hello Deepaak,
    Thanks for clarifying the doubts.
    I guess Point # 8 is not well defined. I know we can use same parameter on two different sheets in a workbook.
    My query was to use DIFFERENT values for same parameter (in OOPs terminology it is called Object INSTANCES).
    Can we instantiate the parameter to have different values on same time?

What I observed is - if I change the value on one sheet , it changes the value for same parameter on another sheet as well.
    can we control this behaviour?

Hope I am clear now.

Thanks again for the great session.

Regards,
    Mangesh Phatale

45. MANGESH PHATALE

Hello Deepaak,

Some queries below,

1) If we have the source data with all these advanced calculations. I think we don't need to re-do these calculations in Tableau.
    Query: Is Tableau capable of processing these calculations as-is from the source and reflect on Tableau side?
    I think its not. Pls elaborate.
    2) Does the options shown on Map Layer >> Data Layer >> Layer change specific to a country? I need to try this for India and check if the Population, Household, Housing will appear same as US.
    I hope there is NO Link or dependency of these options on the Data Source.
    3) There must be APIs accessible for Tableau. Can you elaborate to use them in order to embed in the Web Apps?
    4) For Bullet Chart, I want to make the dynamic title indicating "The <CY> value and <PY> value".
    I tried but can't do the calculation showing <Parameters.Reference_Date> -1 . How to do this?

Thank You again!

Mangesh Phatale

46. _40241

_40241 Member

Hello Deepak,

Can you answer the below questions:

1. Will you show how to connect Tableau to various DB's? Just want to see the DB connection options.
    2. Can Tableau be connected to ESRI Maps, if yes can we import our shape files/custom map boundaries?

Best regards,
    Tarachand Sahoo

47. touchstone.in

Hello Tarachand,

1. The DB Connection in Tableau are not part of Tableau Desktop 10 course. The connections are part of Tableau Server which is separate course altogether.

2. The Tableau does connect to ESRI ArcGSI Server. Here is the detailed article for the same.
    https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/examples_esri.htm

Hope this will be of help.

Best
    Deepaak

48. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

Excercise 6.2

1. What is the difference between "All Year's Avg, Difference" and "This Year's Avg. Difference". From the chart shown in the solution, they look the same with same values.
    2. "This Year's Avg. Difference" is SUM([Quantity]) - WINDOW_AVG(SUM([Quantity]),FIRST(),LAST()) and "All Year's Avg, Difference" is ZN (SUM ([Quantity])) - Window_AVG (SUM ([Quantity])). The difference is not clear. Why is the first(), last() omitted in the second case? What is the use of ZN in the second case? Why is it not used in the first formula?
    3. I think, "This Year's Avg. Difference" should show the difference in quantity between the current period (quarter) with the quarterly avg of the current year. "All Year's Avg, Difference" should show the difference vs all quarterly average across all years.

The solution seems incorrect and does not address the problem statement.
    Clearly one of the formulas is not working as it should. Not sure which one.
    Kindly help clarify and how to correct.

Regards,
    Satyajit

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 at 3:54 AM
  49. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

Excercise 7.2 - Walkthru request

Can we have a walkthru of this excercise ?

Regards,
    Satyajit

Attached Files:

50. Satyajit Datta

Simplilearn Support

DATE related question

Referring to attached screen-shot.
    We have discussed DATE as date part and date value.

Please clarify the following on how these are different from date part and date value & when to use them:
    1. Exact Date
    2. Attribute vs Measure
    3. Discrete vs Continuous

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 9.04.12 PM.png Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 9.04.12 PM.png