Test Question from Test #2

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Sajid Amin, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Sajid Amin

Sajid Amin Active Member

Hello, can anyone explain to me how choice B is correct here? Per PMI, it is unethical to accept any gifts from customers and in the question it clearly states that the company forbids you from accepting any forms of gifts....so why would the PM discuss this situation with the sponsor?

You are working at a customer location in a foreign country where it is customary to exchange gifts during their New Year celebrations. Your company forbids you from accepting any form of gifts from your customer, but you have a strong feeling that if you refuse to accept and reciprocate the gesture, it can severely affect your relationship with the customer. In this case, it is BEST to:
    SELECT THE CORRECT ANSWER

Politely refuse to accept any gifts explaining your company policy
    Discuss this situation with your project sponsor or legal department
    Accept the gift and keep it confidential so that there is no loss of face for your organization
    Take a break from the project work to go on a small vacation during local New Year time
    Correct Option:B

EXPLANATION

Since the company policy forbids the project manager from accepting any form of gifts, he should consult his project sponsor and legal department.

2. MAHESH TANAJI SANKPAL

MAHESH TANAJI SANKPAL Active Member

My views:
    Accepting and giving gifts is violation of the company’s policy.

You as a PM would like this to be treated as an exception because its main purpose is to build a good relationship with the customer by respecting their traditional / cultural practice.

Moreover, the transaction – in this case exchange of gifts – is not for any illegal or unethical activity.

Since it is still a violation of the company’s policy, a written approval from the sponsor / legal team will be required.

If sponsor does not approve the request the PM will have to refuse to accept the gifts from the customer.

Sajid Amin likes this.
  3. gautam_kaistha

gautam_kaistha Well-Known Member

If i may add.... the rule of thumb is that in case there is a conflict the interest of the customer takes precedence. In this question, as the customer may feel bad, you have to exchange the gift, since its against the company policy, you need to take written permission, so B is the correct option

Sajid Amin likes this.
  4. Sajid Amin

Sajid Amin Active Member

Thank you for your help!

5. Support Simplilearn(4685)

Staff Member Alumni

@tim jerome

Kindly assist help us with this query.

6. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

B is the best. You need to analyze first.
    • 'you feel it "might" be a bribe'
    • You are not the legal expert.
    Let me explain:

I was supporting some marketing campaigns, and one of them was in south america (Mercador) trade block. The client said, "I have a cousin who works in government, and for $500 he can facilitate the contract. Immediately the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Luckily, I took a breath and realizing I wasn't the attorney here, reached out to our legal department. The attorney almost fell all over with me with excitement - at that time, there were only 2 such experts in each south american country, and it was required they participate in the contracting - it's a very interesting dance performed down there. Legal had been looking for such an expert in that country, and they were really pleased to make contact and facilitate the effort and negotiations.

What I perceived as unethical was clarified with a phone call. This is why we have subject experts, and why B is the correct answer.

gautam_kaistha and Sajid Amin like this.