Three steps to fill your PMP application

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Vinutha, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

1. In the part1 section, fill your details like name, contact details, address, name that you would like on your certificate and your highest education details

2. In the part 2 section, fill the project title, the role, title(designation), your organization names where your implemented project management, address of the organization, contact person name and his/her details, etc...

The important thing under this section is the project description. It takes only 550 characters. So be crisp in describing on what you contributed for a project and mention the details of your contribution.

Here is an example:

· Objective: Application development which can run on Android platform.

· IN: Identified the stakeholders, collected the high level scope and identified high level risk

· PL: Developed the project management plan along with stakeholders by estimating schedule, cost

· EX: Completed the deliverables as per the plan and manage the communication and stakeholder engagement

· M&C: Review and track the progress of the project. Also identified the new risk and perform change management process for the change requests through CCB

· CL: Handing over the deliverables, lessons learned documentation

· Deliverables: Application with installation manual

· Outcome of the project: Success

3. In the Part 3 section, mention the title of the course, Institution name, start date, end date, number of pdu's earned.

2. Siddharth Sharma

Siddharth Sharma Administrator

Very helpful post Vinutha, for PMP aspirants - Thank you!

3. Jason Saetrum

Jason Saetrum Active Member
    Trainer

My first recommendation for all applicants: "Get started" on it right now. Too many aspirants procrastinate filling it out. My second recommendation: Don't make it harder than it is. Follow the steps above by @Vinutha

4. sajjan.vivek(1183210)

Alumni

Thanks a lot Vinutha. I was struggling with this step since last week, and was looking for some help. Details provided in example looks very minimal, do I need to elaborate little more on each phase ? or it already coveres 550 chars ?

mlletech likes this.
  5. gmammen31

gmammen31 Member
    Alumni

mlletech likes this.
  6. gmammen31

gmammen31 Member
    Alumni

Thanks for this. Just to make sure my understanding is correct, it is required to break down the description per phases such as initiation...closing project like shown in the example.

7. Jason Saetrum

Trainer

@gmammen31 - The downloadable version of the application asks for descriptions for each Process Group, but the online version only has one field for the entire project itself - with that 550 character limit. Best wishes! Application Example.jpg

8. Adam D Oxford

Adam D Oxford Active Member
    Alumni

@Jason- Thank you for posting this image. I'm sure it will help many. Even if it may not be exactly the PMI online version...

mlletech likes this.
  9. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

Do you know if there are any companies like resume writers that assist you with the pmp application? I am studying for my pmp via the online class and I have always been told that my jobs involve managing projects.

10. Rajiv_9

Rajiv_9 Member
    Alumni

Is it ok to fill qualifying hours from only one project as my project was 4 year long project? I have other project hours as well to show but seems that doesnt require. Please advise.

Pramod_15 and mlletech like this.
  11. Rajiv_9

Rajiv_9 Member
    Alumni

If I am working on client project, shall I enter primary industry type as client Or as my own organization?

12. Shipra Shah

Shipra Shah Member
    Alumni

Please suggest if it is fine if I mention name of one of the developers or team members who were involved in project life cycle as Primary Contact with his/her details? i.e. will it be good to select that person as Primary stakeholder if he was involved as a website developer in Project Development Life Cycle?

13. Jason Saetrum

Trainer

@miletech - 1st) Go and download the materials from PMI's website: http://www.pmi.org/certification/project-management-professional-pmp.aspx ; 2nd) Identify the general time frames that you have spent on the various projects; 3rd) Identify what you have done on each project(s); 4th) Record the hours spent in each of the domains (process groups). When listing your experience, tie your experience to PMI processes and terms as much as possible, but you only have a small space to do it in. Also, you are welcome to run ideas past the community forum as well. Best wishes!

mlletech likes this.
  14. Jason Saetrum

Trainer

@Shipra Shah - the criteria is for someone that can officially and honestly validate your involvement with leading and directing the project or portions of it. PMI does not expect them to have or provide details of your work.

15. Jason Saetrum

Trainer

@Rajiv_9 - Industry type refers to your industry in general, e.g. IT, Healthcare, Food, or etc.

16. Jason Saetrum

Trainer

@Rajiv_9 - Yes, you may use one project. It is the number of hours spent leading and directing project work that they are looking for. It is required to have hours in each of the 5 domains (no matter the project count). In addition, for those with multiple projects: You may not have hours under each domain in every project. The critical piece is to have hours in each domain, in total.

mlletech likes this.
  17. Jason Saetrum

Trainer

@Adam D Oxford - Thanks. True, the initial entry definitely doesn't look like this. These came from a download of a submitted/approved one, and I had to crop the images so they would fit. Cheers!

18. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

Is there anyone that would be willing to review my application for me if I email it to them?

19. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

Is it okay to have (3) long projects to meet the 7500 hour requirement as opposed to listing several? I think it makes the application completion easier.

20. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

Hi Adam, Do you only have to complete one description field for the online application as opposed to putting entering details for each process?

21. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  22. Adam D Oxford

Alumni

550 characters- includes spaces. The online version as details put in for each process. Pretty straight forward, just takes some time.

BTW- I have an issue with the application... I was under the impression that the live online PMP course with Simplilearn would fulfill the PDU requirement. However, we know the application requires 35 hrs, and the online class is only giving me 32. What do you do about this??

mlletech likes this.
  23. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

The simulations tests provided along with the elearning are also part of the course which contributes to the PDU count on completion.

Dhanya Mahadevan likes this.
  24. Adam D Oxford

Alumni

This is what it still shows when entering Simplilearn's course. Others have said it shows as 35 hrs without taking all the simulated tests. What am I missing? I need this completed to schedule the test! Thank you.

upload_2016-2-9_7-51-55.png

25. mlletech

mlletech Active Member
    Alumni

I just remember entering 35 for the qualifying hours. Have you done that?

26. Malay Harsha(1186)

Alumni

The no of PDUs that it should reflect on the PMI site should be 35. However if this is still a problem try requesting for a fresh PDU certificate from the Simplilearn Support team, and then try again.

27. Prasad

Prasad Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Trainer

Simplilearn will issue the certificate with 35 pdu. In the application mention it as 35, it will be solved

28. Adam D Oxford

Alumni

It's been 2 weeks. Good news. I figured out the hours- it was my mistake. Also, I want to share for those that may also get "chosen", I was audited and supplied the information quickly and within ~1 week am now approved to schedule the test. I was fortunate, as all my experience was captured with my current company and the manager/ sponsor is still here also. So- on to the test!.

29. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Adam, great input - thanks for sharing! Audits are a daunting concept, but you show it's nothing to be worried about. Onward and upward -

30. Amelia amelia.diasdasilva

Alumni

Yes, I was chosen as well. And, glad everything went thru on the audit. I'm taking the exam on this Saturday. Wish me luck. This has been a fruitful process and I learnt a lot. Thanks Tim! You're a great teacher!

31. Amelia amelia.diasdasilva

Alumni

Passed my PMP exam today. Thank a ton, Tim!

32. Rajesh Kumar Singh_1

Alumni

Hi, I am taking - TRAINING TYPE: Online Classroom Flexi-Pass
    During PMP Application, what should I mention as Course Title ?

33. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

You will have the course name that you are opting the flexi pass - this is the package name. Please check your email that you may have received when you purchase it.

As far the as the application is concerned you can provide the Course title as PMP or Project Management Professional

34. yaniesbe1

yaniesbe1 Member

Hi, what is that mean Project Contributor in that form..? Is that for lower position than PM (ie. : Designer, Project Engineer, Project Supervisor, etc..?)
    Pls advise and thanks

35. tim jerome

Trainer

Good day - a 'contributor' is a member of the project team; they support the work of completing the deliverable. In a RACI chart (Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed), they are 'responsible'.

FWIW, the project team members don't really have a lower position than a project manager - they merely have a different focus.

Hope this helps -

36. tim jerome

Trainer

Thank you, but it's all you, Amelia - you achieved the credential. Now to the next chapter of your work...

37. shivendra kumar anurag

Alumni

Thanks a lot vinutha, tim, jason and all others for their valuable informations about filling application..
    it helped me a lot...

38. Jean_4

Jean_4 New Member
    Alumni

I work for an organization that provides services to clients. All hours are recorded in our time system and I can break them down by project and phase. When completing the application should I enter the manager who maintains our project data for our organization or would I enter the client's PM or a stakeholder from the end client who we are providing the service too.

39. Hamid Jamalbhai Mansuri

Alumni

Today I got email from PMI regarding my application selected for Audit purpose and asking to submit document given below,

1. Experience Verification form
    Confusion - What other documents to be submitted along with Experience Verification Form

2. Documenting the 35 hours of Project Management Related Education
    Confusion - PMI asking Certificate, Transcript. So please advice what exactly to submit.

Please find attached screen shot of PMI Audit page,

Looking forward proper guidance so audit can be closed at once.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  40. AmerNatarajan

AmerNatarajan Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support Alumni

Hi,

We have already responded to your query over email and also in another thread. Please do revert for any further assistance.

Puneet Anand Borkar likes this.
  41. Aaron Lowe(3112)

Alumni

Great post!

Can somebody confirm if attendance on the Simplilearn online classroom will qualify for the 35 required PDUs ? If this is the case, can you advise on what information we should add here such as contacts references to ensure this isn't rejected?

Thanks

42. Dong_2

Dong_2 Active Member

Yes, after completing you will see that your certificate is unlocked below syllabus and batches. Simplilearn is approved as PDU provider by PMI so you should be fine with the certificate and your application correctly completed.

Aaron Lowe(3112) likes this.
  43. Aaron Lowe(3112)

Alumni

okay super and many thanks for clarifying

44. Suresh_34

Suresh_34 New Member

Hi,
    Upon receiving the 35 PDU's, is there a time limit that we should be appearing for the PMP Certification ?

45. tim jerome

Trainer

Suresh, good day -

You need the certificate in order to apply to PMI for authorization to take the exam (the application doesn't accept 'post-dated' training).

The only time limit for the exam is a 1-year window upon acceptance for sitting for the test.

Other than that, you determine when you are ready to take the test, and schedule through the Prometric website.

Regards,

G Suresh Babu likes this.
  46. G Suresh Babu

G Suresh Babu New Member

Thank you Tim!!

47. shabeerali

shabeerali New Member

Hi
    Should I Fill all my experience s or Just Enough for 4500 Hr (If Bachelor Degree Holder).
    Thank you

48. Alejandra Alvarez

I'm getting ready to complete my application, and I've reached out to a friend who has gone through the process and passed the test for a few pointers. She said she was told that you cannot have more than one project running at the same time. Is this true? I ask because I have done project activities for different projects that are running at the same time (same start and end dates).

49. B K S Prasad

B K S Prasad Well-Known Member
    Simplilearn Support Alumni Trainer

Overlapping of the projects are allowed. But overlapping of the hours/time spent for the projects are not allowed. For example Project1 starts from Jan and end of March which is 3 months. Project2 starts from Feb and end on April which is also 3 months. You can't count 3+3=6 months. You should count only 4 months which is from Jan to April.

Alejandra Alvarez likes this.
  50. Dimple Patel

Dimple Patel New Member
    Alumni

Hello,

I completed my training from Simplilearn.

Can you please share what must be written for the following.

Course Title
    Institution name
    Start end date..