Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

Three steps to fill your PMP application

tim jerome

Trainer
Hi! There are many of us who do this on a regular basis. Contact support, and they can arrange to get the application to the right desk for most efficient review.

Cheers,

_49203

Hi - does the reference have to be a supervisor or can it be another project stakeholder or colleague who can vouch for your experience?

tim jerome

Trainer
The handbook on teh application page states "... Signatures from your supervisor(s) or manager(s) from the project(s) recorded in the experience verification section of the application..." Therefore peers and/or project team members will not suffice.

In the event that you don't have managers and supervisors available, contact PMI support and explain your scenario, in order to determine who could fill this role - they've seen multiple variations of issues, and probably have solved each issue in different manners.

tim jerome

Trainer
Hi, Tanmoy -

The work that PMI recognizes is the leading and directing inside a project. You can find a description of this in the Exam Content Outline (link here).

_48921

Does anyone know how long it will take PMI review the application? I filled the application last Monday, but didn't receive anything till now.

tim jerome

Trainer
Generally it takes PMI 3-5 business days to review. Contact them directly (contact information in the PMP Handbook on the application page), and they'll be happy to share status.

Christian_18

I just finished my PMP course. Submitted my project and received a "passed" grade. I'm still working on the self learning courses so that I can successfully pass the simulation test(s). Can I start my PMP application and have it reviewed (at this time), until the certificate is unlocked? Also, is a copy of my resume required for the PMP test request?

Hey, I am looking for a dedicated study partner for PMP. I have put my profile and study schedule on StudyPal. All my friends in New York use it to find study buddies and groups for PMP test

_19574

@tim, In my PMP application, I was working as project manager from March 2014 to November 2015 in one organisation. From 2015 to 2018 I was not taking up any lead roles. Again from 2018 May to now, I am leading a Scrum Master role. Please let me know if my application is ok to submit. Or what i need to do now?

tim jerome

Trainer
Look at the actual hours you performed, leading and directing the work. It may have been while you were a team member, Project Manager, any role. PMI is interested more in this than job title, assigned role, and so on. You'll need to document each project, with the hours you lead and directed within each process group.

For example, Scrum Master - if you are doing Project Management tasks (look at the Exam Content Outline), those count.

Does this help?

_19574

@tim:

First of all thanks for the immediate reply. I have a few more questions in my mind
1) The 36 months in the PMP application has to be continuous? i.e (from July 2019 to July 2016)
2) I am into IT Field from India. I took a 1 year Maternity break. Which mean that i am not an employee of any organisation. Here is my career profile. Please suggest me how to proceed. I am almost done with the preparation. But kind of stuck in the application part

Company 1: May 2018 to Present (14 Months) - Scrum Master. (I can get reference from here)
May 2017 to April 2018 - Maternity Break
Company 2: Aug 2016 to May 2017 - Developer. No Leading experience ( I cannot get reference as most employees are laid off. It is a very small company)
Company 3: December 2015 to Aug 2016 - Senior Developer. Leading experience.( I can get reference from here)
Company 4: February 2013 to December 2015 - Project Manager experience. ( I can get reference from here)
SO I have actual Leading and directing experience only from (Feb 2013 to Dec 2015 as Project Manager) and (May 2018 to Present as Scrum Master) across different companies. So in my application shall I show only these experiences?

Kindly help me in this regard.

tim jerome

Trainer
The months and hours need not be contiguous - consider this: it is okay for these 36 months and 4,500 hours to be spread across 3-8 years. That's Project Management; for most of us, we are partly in operations, partly in project management.

If you have a hard time finding references, contact PMI; they help people solve this issue regularly. Go to the PMP application page and find the contact information in the handbook. This is one of the reasons the handbook exists - to reach out to people with these types of issues. If you can get enough experience from your other project work, try that first - take the path of least resistance.

You don't have to have any specific job title. You don't have to be named the Project Manager. You merely need to have performed the work (look for this in the Exam Content Outline). This is the only experience you will document in the application.

The easiest way to go through the collection and documentation of experience is to first document your current projects, and work backwards in time until you have accrued your 36 months and 4,500 hours. It doesn't have to be contiguous, it just needs to be that much. When you hit that amount, stop.

_19574

Thank you so much TIm. I have been checking my mails on and off to see a reply from you. i am a bit relieved to see yours. I am happy and thankful to god for exposing us to a knowledgeable, experienced and really helpful person

Hello y'all,

Thanks in advance for reading and your help.

I have begun the application and the first project spans 27 months, ongoing.

How do I calculate the hours for each process group?

I have a couple of activities for initiating, and the bulk in planning, executing and m&c. None for closing

Thanks anu

Divya Solanki

@tim jerome ---
Hi Tim,

I have seen you helping and guiding so many novices who are trying to appear for PMP.
I am also one of them. My concern is as follow, if you can provide me your kind guidance.

I am in PMO department from last 6-7 years in an IT company, so I have the required number of working hours and educational background to appear for the PMP, except the 35 PDU's, for which I am going through the self learning and live classes from Simple learn.

My question is , Can I start filling my PMP application before I actually get the 35 PDU's from simpli learn?
Is it a pre-requisite to have the PDU's in hand , while you are completing your PMP application?

How much time will it take to complete the application form, approximately?

Thanks in advance!
Divya

tim jerome

Trainer
Yes, you can and should start your application. If you don't have the certificate, though, you won't be able to submit it - but do everything else.

You can't post-date your training (you can't say you will be done in the future), and you need some specific information off your certificate, so build your application out, save it as a pdf, and when you receive your certificate, immediately submit your application after filling it out.

If you already have formal project management training (35 hours, from university or from professional training inside out outside your company), you can use that - but you will need some evidence, which generally comes as a transcript or some form of certificate.

It generally takes about 1-2 weeks to collect and fill out the application, but that includes collecting and organizing your project experience.

Can a software maintenance project be listed as part of experience for the PMP application? Appreciate your assistance with this! Thanks in advance.

_45835

Hello, Are IT application maintenance projects considered as relevant experience ? I had led IT software projects that were for adding new features and functionality to existing applications.

tim jerome

Trainer
Be careful with the term 'maintenance'. Look for the work to be unique (requires its own plan) and time-bound (specific start/end), and you have a project.

Maintenance, if repeated, is not a change. It is not unique, and you'll be using a checklist. It's true that certain pieces of a project may be maintenance / operational, but at the project level, you need more specific.

Notice that you said 'adding new features and functionality' - THAT sounds like a project.

1. In the part1 section, fill your details like name, contact details, address, name that you would like on your certificate and your highest education details

2. In the part 2 section, fill the project title, the role, title(designation), your organization names where your implemented project management, address of the organization, contact person name and his/her details, etc...

The important thing under this section is the project description. It takes only 550 characters. So be crisp in describing on what you contributed for a project and mention the details of your contribution.

Here is an example:

· Objective: Application development which can run on Android platform.

· IN: Identified the stakeholders, collected the high level scope and identified high level risk

· PL: Developed the project management plan along with stakeholders by estimating schedule, cost

· EX: Completed the deliverables as per the plan and manage the communication and stakeholder engagement

· M&C: Review and track the progress of the project. Also identified the new risk and perform change management process for the change requests through CCB

· CL: Handing over the deliverables, lessons learned documentation

· Deliverables: Application with installation manual

· Outcome of the project: Success

3. In the Part 3 section, mention the title of the course, Institution name, start date, end date, number of pdu's earned.

tim jerome

Trainer
Contact support. There are many who regularly review such applications, and know what to look for.

Regards,

Bhuvana_3

Alumni
Hi,

I'm in process of filling up my PMP Application Form and all these posts here are very helpful. Thanks to Simplilearn and the moderators especially Tim for clarifying many of those queries with good clear explanation. Thanks Tim!
I have few questions and request you to help.

1. PMP Application Checklist states "My project entries do not include routine, operational, or administrative tasks and responsibilities.". What do they mean by "administrative tasks and responsibilities"?

2. I had started my PMP class with Simplilearn in Sep 2019 but as I couldn't continue the learning for some time in between it took long for me to earn my 35 PDU Certificate from Simplilearn. So, can the start date in the application be Sep2019 and end date in Mar2020? Is that ok? Or How should it be represented?

Thanks!

tim jerome

Trainer
1. The application is asking for communication management, stakeholder management,
and resource (human) management (develop and manage team). Go to the Exam Content
Outline (link here) and see how these are discussed as tasks a PM normally performs.
Safe words are 'ensured', 'controlled'; 'participated in' and such could infer you
were merely performed the work of a team member.

2. The application requires the specific description from the certificate, which
is evidence of your completion of those hours. Contact Support if you don't have
a copy. Whatever it says, that's what you use - keep it simple. In the case
of audit, your certificate will align with what you documented (grin).

Bhuvana_3

Alumni
Thanks for your prompt response, Tim

1. Sure; will use such appropriate words in the project description
Think I didn't understand your response clearly here. Am trying to understand the meaning of "administrative tasks and responsibilities'. The PMP Application Checklist states that "administrative tasks and responsibilities' should 'Not' be included in project descriptions. So, am wondering what needs to be avoided here. Can you please help me understand this?

2. ok; will mention as Sep2019 to Mar2019. The certificate contains only one date - Mar2020.
My main point was whether long duration from Sep2019 to Mar2020 would be accepted or not. Hope they are looking only for 35 PDUs between these dates.

3. One more query...
Can I include project initiation experience where-in the project was either cancelled or not awarded to our company. E.g. Preparation of Project SoW, Business Case / Requirements, etc
Because these projects were stopped in Initiation Stage and didn't progress till Project Closure, can such hours be qualified / counted / considered?

Please clarify!

Thanks in advance,
Bhuvana

1. The application is asking for communication management, stakeholder management,
and resource (human) management (develop and manage team). Go to the Exam Content
Outline (link here) and see how these are discussed as tasks a PM normally performs.
Safe words are 'ensured', 'controlled'; 'participated in' and such could infer you
were merely performed the work of a team member.

2. The application requires the specific description from the certificate, which
is evidence of your completion of those hours. Contact Support if you don't have
a copy. Whatever it says, that's what you use - keep it simple. In the case
of audit, your certificate will align with what you documented (grin).

Bhuvana_3

Alumni
Hi Tim,

Can you please advise on these queries?

Also, in the PMP application, should the projects experience be listed out in the reverse-chronological order - starting with recent one and going back in time till the required no. of hours are achieved?

Thank your very much!

Best Regards,
Bhuvana

Thanks for your prompt response, Tim

1. Sure; will use such appropriate words in the project description
Think I didn't understand your response clearly here. Am trying to understand the meaning of "administrative tasks and responsibilities'. The PMP Application Checklist states that "administrative tasks and responsibilities' should 'Not' be included in project descriptions. So, am wondering what needs to be avoided here. Can you please help me understand this?

2. ok; will mention as Sep2019 to Mar2019. The certificate contains only one date - Mar2020.
My main point was whether long duration from Sep2019 to Mar2020 would be accepted or not. Hope they are looking only for 35 PDUs between these dates.

3. One more query...
Can I include project initiation experience where-in the project was either cancelled or not awarded to our company. E.g. Preparation of Project SoW, Business Case / Requirements, etc
Because these projects were stopped in Initiation Stage and didn't progress till Project Closure, can such hours be qualified / counted / considered?

Please clarify!

Thanks in advance,
Bhuvana

Need help.
If I am having bachelor's degree of 3 years then do I show 4500 hours of experience or go with 7500 hours of experience?

You will have the course name that you are opting the flexi pass - this is the package name. Please check your email that you may have received when you purchase it.

As far the as the application is concerned you can provide the Course title as PMP or Project Management Professional
Need help.
If I am having bachelor's degree of 3 years then do I show 4500 hours of experience or go with 7500 hours of experience?

Good day - a 'contributor' is a member of the project team; they support the work of completing the deliverable. In a RACI chart (Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed), they are 'responsible'.

FWIW, the project team members don't really have a lower position than a project manager - they merely have a different focus.

Hope this helps -

Hi Tim, Please help. I am having bachelor's degree of three years, so, while filling out application for PMP exam- should I suppose to write 4500 hours of PM experience or I should go with 7500 hours of PM experience. I have in total 11 years of experience out of which 7 years in PM. Please help as I am filling the application in a day or two.

tim jerome

Trainer
I am filling the application for PMP exam certification-Please help.
Hi, Rajat - congratulations on starting the work towards the exam. Contact Support directly and they'll lead you through who to send your current application to, and what to expect as we review it with you.

If you have further (specific) questions, many threads on this forum go into very specific detail as to what to capture and how to capture on your application.

tim jerome

Trainer
The 3-year degree in India is the same as a 4-year's degree in the US - an undergraduate, or bachelor's degree. That allows you to qualify with 4,500 hours of experience, instead of 7,500 hours.

The 3-year degree in India is the same as a 4-year's degree in the US - an undergraduate, or bachelor's degree. That allows you to qualify with 4,500 hours of experience, instead of 7,500 hours.
Thanks a lot Tim for your help and support. Now I am all set to complete my application.

_30306

Alumni
If I have completed my training 2 yrs back and my PDU is unlock with simplilearn. Post 2 yrs can I apply for PMP exam with these PDU.

IADH GATFI

Hello everyone, i've submitted my application three days ago and the status in the PMI Site is : "PMI is now reviewing your application. The review process may take up to 30 business days." Is it normal ? i thought it takes 5 days not 30 ! does it mean that my application was chosen to be subject to the audit ? ! *************

_25462

I've completed Simplilearn PMP training on 2018. Can I sit new exam without new traning ? can someone please answer

_14389

1. In the part1 section, fill your details like name, contact details, address, name that you would like on your certificate and your highest education details

2. In the part 2 section, fill the project title, the role, title(designation), your organization names where your implemented project management, address of the organization, contact person name and his/her details, etc...

The important thing under this section is the project description. It takes only 550 characters. So be crisp in describing on what you contributed for a project and mention the details of your contribution.

Here is an example:

· IN: Identified the stakeholders, collected the high level scope and identified high level risk

· PL: Developed the project management plan along with stakeholders by estimating schedule, cost

· EX: Completed the deliverables as per the plan and manage the communication and stakeholder engagement

· M&C: Review and track the progress of the project. Also identified the new risk and perform change management process for the change requests through CCB

3. In the Part 3 section, mention the title of the course, Institution name, start date, end date, number of pdu's earned.

Here is an example:

What needs to be filled in Professional Education Section? Its asking to fill recent courses related to PMP certification?

drishti.yadav

Alumni
Hi Tim,
I was filling up the online application, I believe that has changed compared to old applications as some of the screenshots I saw of the application are very different.
I completed the course in 2019 however did not unlock the certificate. In my PMI application nowhere is it asking me to provide the certification from Simplilearn in comparison to the old application form.
Per the new updates am I required to unlock the Simplilarn PMP certificate or not, is this still a requirement by PMI?

3. In the Part 3 section, mention the title of the course, Institution name, start date, end date, number of pdu's earned.[/QUOTE]
Suresh, good day -

You need the certificate in order to apply to PMI for authorization to take the exam (the application doesn't accept 'post-dated' training).

The only time limit for the exam is a 1-year window upon acceptance for sitting for the test.

Other than that, you determine when you are ready to take the test, and schedule through the Prometric website.

Regards,

tim jerome

Trainer
You still need the contact hours, you still need to have completed the contact hours prior than submitting the application.

The application and process have changed; I can speak to the input from PMI's website and one or two people who have received acceptance and documented it on this forum.

The reason you need the certificate is that it gives the end date of the contact hours (formal PM training); that is a requirement. So, unless you're audited, you don't send the certificate AND you need the certificate for it's information. If you are audited, you MAY be asked to submit the certificate.

Does this help?

Rohit Sethi_1

Hi Vinutha,

I am also preparing for PMP exam. with ref to your example of filling up of PM Experience, do we need to explain what actual being done in project in each process group or as you have mentioned, similar crisp lines can be used for that.

Subhash Bhati

At present , PMP application is totally changed , its more easier now , can anyone guide for present experience need to show there , is it compulsory to show experience in PMI process group formats.

Gae

Here is an example: