TIM: question on triple constraints

Discussion in 'PMP' started by _19325, Feb 21, 2018.

1. _19325

_19325 Well-Known Member

Hi Tim. Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding triple constraints. As far as the PMP test goes and how PMI wants us to understand it, are we to assume that triple constraints = scope, time, cost only? Question 141 below specifies that quality is not included in the triple constraints but question 45 says otherwise. Help!

upload_2018-2-21_19-4-16.png
    upload_2018-2-21_19-5-33.png

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

It seems I am getting multiple repeats of the same questions; I'll attempt to answer to the best I can as I work through this entire backlog.

The triple constraint is an artifact of the history of constraints. It's based on the Theory of Constraints, in material published in 1984. It's an easy way to see how change or adoption of one constraint can greatly impact others.

The 5th Edition of the PMBOK does understand the triple constraint, but goes beyond this to a general approach - all constraints can have this effect, and need to be integrated in. Question 141 reflects this concept as well as the general rule of analyze first.

This is echoed in question 45; it really depends. I've had projects with no budget constraints, but incredible quality constraints. Major risk has greatly shaped many projects, but so has a rigid scope.

3. _19325

_19325 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim! Sorry for the repeat question. I'm running out of filing cabinets to store all this info in my brain and a few are slipping through the cracks. When I saw the explanation for the answer to question 45 stating that "quality, cost and schedule are all part of the triple constraints" it confused me because question 141 specifies that quality is not part of the triple constraint so I had to clarify with you. I am just afraid I might encounter a question like this in the test where it would state that the impact to the triple constraints have been determined and it would give me analysis on quality as an option to choose, and I wouldn't know what to choose because of opposing logic on triple constraints on both of the above questions...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

The confusion is understood. Trust that the exam will probably not challenge you on quality being or not being one of the triple constraints, but may challenge you on the impact of constraints on the project, and your role in balancing them against the other constraints and project success.

_19325 likes this.
  5. _19325

_19325 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim!