TIM: question regarding Issue Logs

Discussion in 'PMP' started by _19325, Feb 22, 2018.

1. _19325

_19325 Well-Known Member

upload_2018-2-22_22-57-48.png

I must've spent at least 5 minutes breaking this question down and through process of elimination I got to the correct answer. The question disguises Issue Logs as part of risk. What made it more difficult was how the question specifies the specific process group.

My question is:
    1) With regards to how PMI wants us to view Issue Logs, in which exact process and process group are issues in the Issue Log handled/resolved? According to the PMBOK the Issue Log is an input to Control Stakeholder Engagement (Monitor and Control), Manage Project Team (Execute) and Control Communications (Monitor and Control). The question above implies that resolution is done in Monitor and Control but Manage Project Team specifies Conflict Management as a tool and technique.

Sorry for the curve ball question. I want to make sure I cover as much as I can so I wont encounter any surprises during the exam.

Attached Files:

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

It's not easy to answer your question, but a little digging can assist. First of all, the index of the 6th edition is brilliant - when you look up 'issue log', you can find all the processes where issue logs are an input. Generally, the way you resolve issues is applying various tools and techniques based on the individual process (you found some interesting one) and generating change requests. There are a couple processes that, although they receive issue logs as inputs, they don't generate Change Requests. An example is "Manage Communications", and there's a good reason it doesn't generate them. I'll leave that for you to decipher.

I had to dig into the Risk Practice standard, but I did find a reference to help you understand the relationship between risks and issues - on page 10, it states, "... When a risk occurs, it ceases to be uncertain. Threats which occur may be called issues..."

Finally, which process group assists in determining these responses? Planning - Determine Risk Responses". Remembering that alone may have triggered the connection.

_19325 likes this.
  3. _19325

_19325 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim :)