Using PMP study material for CapM study

Discussion in 'Other Project Management Courses' started by Merci, May 22, 2015.

1. Merci

Merci Member

When studying for the CAPM exam, I used the PMBOK and typical 'PMP' study guides to prepare myself, rather than limiting myself to study materials classified for 'CAPM'. You might say all that is over kill for studying for the CAPM, however I found all this extra information to be relevant as it gave me a more thorough understanding of concepts involved.

While I might not have the pertinent experience of PMP exam (5 years plus), I am very well equipped for on the job at hand and able to work with more senior members of the team because of my advanced knowledge gained through advanced study.

Just want to know what you think about this idea, of using a more advanced study text (such as that used for PMP exam study) to study for a lesser exam such as with CAPM. Is it something you would do?

2. Vinutha

Vinutha Manager
    Staff Member

There is no harm in gaining more knowledge whenever you are preparing for certification. However, it should not lead to confusions while you are preparing for particular certification. In case of PMP and CAPM the syllabus is 90% the same except for the level of exam, so studying PMP material will surely help.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. Krishna Kumar

Krishna Kumar New Member
    Alumni

PMP and CAPM syllabus is 100% same. PMP and CAPM-both exams are conducted based on PMBOK. The only difference is difficulty level of exam...PMP is 4 hours and tough exam...compared to CAPM...which is 3 hours and relatively easy exam!

Siddharth Sharma and Shruti like this.
  4. Leigh Jay

Leigh Jay Member

You cannot go wrong studying the PMBOK as the others said. However, considering your lack of project management experience going into the CAPM exam, you should likely seek out study guides and helps that will help explain what the PMBOK is saying about a knowledge area. I just think the PMBOK is more easily understood by someone with the project management experience than someone who is only working on the team.

5. Sanford Sacheverrel

Sounds like a really good idea, considering how similar subjects are covered on both exams (except PMP exam is more complex). A friend of mine who took CAPM recommended Rita Mulcahy's "CAPM Exam Prep, which you can pick up through Amazon. This might make the subject easier to understand, depending on your level of project management experience.

6. Carson

Carson Active Member

During the early part of my career, just getting out of college, this is what I did. I studied PMBOK and took the CAPM and found that to be a good way to entrench myself into the job very fast. Later on, as experience was earned and I was able to qualify for PMP, it was so much easier to study for as I had previously learned all there was to know and a simple review was all that was required.