Welcome to the Simplilearn Community

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up right away!

What is the equivalent document pf Project Charter

Hi all,
My greetings! I am very new to PRINCE2.
What is/are the equivalent document of a Project Charter in PRINCE2?
Under Process_Template folder there is no Project Planning/Timeline template, is there any PRINCE2 template for project planner?

Regards
Sibashish

Raj K(3066)

Trainer
Hi all,
My greetings! I am very new to PRINCE2.
What is/are the equivalent document of a Project Charter in PRINCE2?
Under Process_Template folder there is no Project Planning/Timeline template, is there any PRINCE2 template for project planner?

Regards
Sibashish
Equivalent document for Project Charter is Project Brief. It is created in Starting Up a Project process.
PRINCE2 has ONE template called PLAN. In that template, there is one heading called Schedule. Under this heading, the PM is free to use a) Project timeline b) gantt chart c) task assignment with start and end date etc. The idea of this in PRINCE2 is, the plan is NOT JUST TIMELINE, it is also about constraints, assumptions, scope, working agreements with teams, roles and responsibilities etc.

Please look at Appendix A in the manual for description of a) Project Brief and b) Plan

Amitabha Sarkar_1

Notes for project brief from Figure 14.6 of prince2 manual.
Process - Starting up a project
Activity - Select the project approach and assemble the project brief
Composition -
Project definition - Explains what the project needs to achieve
Outline business case - Reasons why the project is needed and business option selected. This will later be developed into a detailed business case during the initiating a project process.
Project product description - Includes customer's quality expectations, user acceptance criteria, and operations and maintenance acceptance criteria
Project approach - Defines the choice of solution that will be used within the project to deliver the business option selected from the business case.
Project management team structure - Chart showing who will be involved with the project
Role descriptions - Describe the roles of those in PM team and other key resources identified at the time
References - Include references to any associated documents or products.​