What is this answer based on?

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Dwayne Hammond, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Dwayne Hammond

Dwayne Hammond Active Member
    Alumni

Please explain what the answer to this practice question (in screenshot) is based on. Where does this blanket 85% responsibility come from? (Also... Why are multiple options not even in a proper monetary value?)

Practice Test #3 - Question #152
    Due to a lack of employee training and proper production controls, defects in a production run cause rework which costs the company $250,000. How much of this cost is directly attributable to the employees on the production line?
    A) $75,000
    B) $37,500
    C) $2,12,500
    D) $1,45,000
    Correct Option: B

EXPLANATION
    Management is directly responsible for 85% of those factors influencing the quality of a product or $212,500. This leaves the employees with the responsibility for the remainder of the cost or $37,500.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

There is a leadership rule of thumb that states 85% of the system issues are due to leadership, and 15% are due to the workers. I can't tie this down to any specific research or general best practices, but it seems to have its foundation in the understanding of the influence of leadership over a system. Another interpretation of this is "Put a good person in a system with bad leadership, and the bad leadership will win out."

Mayura Morris likes this.
  3. Saurabh Ranjan_1

Can someone confirm if this Thumb of rule mentioned in PMBOK or any reference document?

4. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Deming - 85/15 %. Do a search on these notes, I'm still looking for my citations. I know this exists, I only have my "Out of the Crisis" reference available. It's there.

Reference