what should be the right answer?

Discussion in 'PMP' started by Rajan Sood, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Rajan Sood

Rajan Sood Rajan
    Alumni

A Project Manager is in the process of analyzing activity sequences, durations, resource requirements, and schedule constraints to create an approved project schedule. What should he do NEXT?

1. Determine Resource Requirement for each activity in the project
    2. Use techniques like Critical Path method, What-if Analysis to calculate optimum duration of the project
    3. Use this approved schedule duration as a baseline and start tracking the project
    4. Create a Network diagram of the project using one of the diagramming methods

2. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

Thanks - so, how do you solve this problem? Let's start at identifying the process. This is the easy part - we are creating the approved project schedule, so we are looking at Develop Schedule.

Now, we need to see what goes next - the data flow diagram for Develop Schedule (on p. 173 of the PMBOK) shows the project schedule as an output, so we're solid. Next, we see that the project schedule is used as an input into 3 processes:
    • Estimate Cost
    • Determine Budget
    • Plan Procurement Management
    Also, project calendars, schedule data, and the project schedule(used again) will lead us to Control Schedule. Which answer is closest to the aggregate of these?

Resource requirements are already determined. Duration of the project is already calculated as the Project schedule is created (you can see the diagram as an output going to the process Control Schedule). The Network diagram (once again) is created. We are left at 3 by process of elimination, and there's strong evidence it's valid.

What do you think?

3. Rajan Sood

Rajan Sood Rajan
    Alumni

Hi Tim, thank you for the detailed explanation...

My doubt is regarding the language of the question. It says "PM is in the process of analyzing....... to create an approved project schedule".

It simply means PM is still in the Develop Schedule process. If PM is still in the process, how can we assume that Project Schedule is already created? There is no other information or detail available.

In my view, PM is still creating the schedule (or has not yet finished creating the schedule). So 3 cannot be the answer.

Thanks,
    Rajan

4. Kanav Aggarwal

Alumni

I have a same doubt. The project schedule in the process of approval.
    Then how can it be option 3.

5. tim jerome

tim jerome Well-Known Member
    Trainer

:). I don't know how to say it any other way.

If the PM is in the process of developing the schedule, what is the next step?
    If this process is this step, the next process must be the next step, no?
    If we are talking about develop schedule, which output are we talking about?
    Which process / processes does this output lead us to?

You're almost there.

Kanav Aggarwal likes this.
  6. Sreidhar D(1820)

Sreidhar D(1820) Well-Known Member
    Alumni

Hi Tim,
    I have come across this question many times from my students. Please permit me to add this:
    Rajan & Kanav, please understand the question in this way:
    The PM is in the process of ".........approved schedule" Look at it as the whole process of "Develop Schedule". What essentially the question means is: What needs to be done after Develop Schedule?
    once a schedule is created it is Baselined [approval of stakeholders] the job of the PM is to track the progress with respect to the baseline.
    Hope you all agree.
    Thanks Tim & others.

Kanav Aggarwal likes this.